The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Petrol Station TARDIS
    Petrol Station TARDIS
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Christopher Eccleston Era »  Blast You, Sci-Fi channel!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Blast You, Sci-Fi channel! Views: 1471
     Friday, June 02 2006 @ 10:09 PM EDT
    This will contain Series One spoilers, but I think we've all seen them.

On tonight's broadcast of Bad Wolf, the geniuses behind advertising at the Sci-Fi channel here in the States showed the commercial for next week's finale during, I believe, the first commercial break. What makes this so bad is that the ad, in graphic detail, shows the daleks and the dalek master (whatever he was called) as well as the tag "everything will change." This would have been okay at the end of the episode, but not right at the beginning!
    Words fail me.

Heath Holland
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, June 02 2006 @ 10:39 PM EDT
    It doesn't take a conspiracy theorist to agree with Ken. It seems like if they can find a way to screw this up, they will... and do.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, June 02 2006 @ 10:52 PM EDT

You mean there were Daleks in this episode? And I missed them because I was hiding behind the sofa... OK, just kidding. I guess they had to make up for not using one quarter of the screen to advertise Ghost Hunters this time. Yeah, that ad was a major spoiler. But it is the Daleks that sell, and there is only one way to know that there are Daleks in the episode before hand... so we have a classic Catch-22. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I say—high praise for no Ghost Hunters pop up during broadccast!!!

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, June 02 2006 @ 11:04 PM EDT
    Pretty incompentent of them. Even worse than the fact that they've had descriptions and photos from each and every episode up on their website for the last three months. That they didn't post information on each episode as the series aired and put it all up in one big go at the start leaves me unsurprised that they have done this. Annoyed but not surprised.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 03 2006 @ 02:35 AM EDT
    The first ad break? That's like 7 minutes into the programme, isn't it? Oh dear, they really don't have much faith in their audience's ability to stay with a 40-minute plot til the end of the episode, do they?

hee hee Big Grin

(sorry for laughing guys but there are some things that really do beggar belief)

Maybe they could do their version of the Beeb's 3-minute preview of season 2 while they're at it. I wonder how much they could get wrong in that too....hmmm:

[spoilers for those too bone-idle to obtain season 2 - the rest of you just mentally insert the appropriate video clips]

It's a new season and a new face, but the same old Doctor - still looking for that perfect vacation. Watch as he goes back to jolly old England for a classic London knees-up with the "missus" and defeats a load of aliens, then goes to Victorian Scotland to meet Queen Victoria of England and defeat a load of monsters there too....and don't get us started on the sexy cat women who deci[REST OF PREVIEW OBSCURED BY GIANT AD FOR GHOST HUNTERS SEASON ONE RE-RUNS, MARATHON AND DVD BOX-SET SINCE NO-ONE WATCHED IT FIRST TIME AROUND]egenerates again.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 03 2006 @ 07:14 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007]
    On tonight's broadcast of Bad Wolf, the geniuses behind advertising at the Sci-Fi channel here in the States showed the commercial for next week's finale during, I believe, the first commercial break.

Is anyone actually suprised by this? The basic problem they appear to have is that the people in charge don't understand Sci-Fi. (Or even what is and isn't sci-fi.)

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 03 2006 @ 08:08 AM EDT
    It was kind of bizaare watching it. I kept thinking: "NOW they start showing episode previews again?"

Shabby is definitely how I would describe their handling of the series marketing.

It really needed very special marketing for Americans who'd never seen or heard of "Doctor Who."

The Sci Fi Channel is advertising on Monster for a marketing copywriter. Let's hope someone with some understanding is brought on board.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 12 2006 @ 02:09 PM EDT
    So I am confused..Sci-Fi will show "Parting of the Ways" next week, but are they going to show The Christmas Invasion and is this part of the season finale?

Adric

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 12 2006 @ 02:27 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Adric] So I am confused..Sci-Fi will show "Parting of the Ways" next week, but are they going to show The Christmas Invasion and is this part of the season finale?

Adric

Sci-Fi has not yet purchased anything after "Parting of the Ways". They will not be showing "The Christmas Invasion" next week.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 12 2006 @ 02:30 PM EDT
    bollocks!

So...is the Christmas Invasion part of the storyline or an add-on?

Adric

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 12 2006 @ 02:35 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Adric] bollocks!

So...is the Christmas Invasion part of the storyline or an add-on?

Adric

"The Christmas Invasion" was produced as part of Series Two (in the same production block as "School Reuinion" & "New Earth"). It was aired as a Christmas special in the UK and Canada last December and is very much a part of the ongoing story.

If Sci-Fi purchases Series Two then presumably they would purchash TCI as well but we won't know for sure until that happens, if it happens.

Mike

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 12 2006 @ 03:57 PM EDT

After watching what Sci-Fi is doing to Doctor Who it really makes me appreciate hwo well CBC treated it for Series 1. I hope it gets teh same treatement when Series 2 airs this fall on CBC. One woudl hope sicne they are co-producing it, but time will tell.

Cheers,
    Russel

I am the Master and you will obey me... Listen to Ramble with Russel at ramblingruss.libsyn.com

Monday, June 12 2006 @ 05:29 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Russel]
    After watching what Sci-Fi is doing to Doctor Who it really makes me appreciate hwo well CBC treated it for Series 1. I hope it gets teh same treatement when Series 2 airs this fall on CBC. One woudl hope sicne they are co-producing it, but time will tell.

Cheers,
    Russel

Absolutely Russel, the CBC gave Doctor Who a lot of respect. There was no mistaking that last spring that Doctor Who was the #1 priority of the network from all of the publicity and promotion that they did. From what I've heard the show has a lot of fans inside the CBC. A lot of people thre grew up watching Doctor Who and were delighted at the opportunity to play a part in its future.

Mike

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 13 2006 @ 09:58 AM EDT
    Showing the next episode preview before the finale of the current episode is status quo for ScFi(US). They did the ALL last year (& part of the year before) on the Stargate programs, and also did it on BSG most weeks. Its just that people don't expect them to be at the commercial break that occurs at 45 minutes past the hour, so most of us are skipping the break on TiVo, or off to fill up our beer before the climatic finale.

This is something that has driven me crazy for a while. You've got a character that is in the middle of some SERIOUS jeopardy and then you show him having a comedic moment in next weeks ep? Idiots. Nimcompoops!

All adds to the conspiracy theory I have about the person in charge of SciFi actually HATING SciFi.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed