The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Who Cosplay
    Who Cosplay
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Christopher Eccleston Era »  Time War (Possible Spoiler)
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Time War (Possible Spoiler) Views: 3691
     Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 12:22 PM EST
    I have a questions about the war between the Daleks and the Time Lords. Where is this information about the war? I can not find any information about this anywhere.

Please help!

Moe

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 12:31 PM EST

This was a deliberate attempt by the production crew of the new series to reinject some mystery into the character and the storyline of the new series. It is a difficult thing to do after 40 years of stories, but the crew did an admirable job. How does one make such an old serial fresh and new for the fans, but allow a new viewer to watch with equal enjoyment, and not having to take a university level course just to catch up to the storyline? I would hazzard to guess that this is how. I would think that we will probably learn more as the new series goes on, eventually, but not knowing the details makes us hunger for more...

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 01:55 PM EST
    There is a new book that came out from BBC called the Gallfrey Chronicles, which is next on my to-read list. It is actually the final 8th doctor book, as they are now focusing their attention on 9th and 10th doctors. Anyway, the back of the book says, and I quote:
    "The Doctor's home planet of Gallifrey has been destoryed. The Time Lords are dead, their TARDISes annihilated. The man responsible has been tracked down and lured to Earth in the year 2005, where there will be no escape. But earth has other problems- a mysterious signal is being recieved, a second moon appears in the sky, and a primordial alien menace waits to be unleashed...
    The stage is set for the ultimate confrontation- for justice to be done. The Doctor and his companions Fitz and Trix will meet their destiny. And this time, the Doctor isn't going to be able to save everyone."
    Now, that leads me to believe that while we aren't getting the full lowdown on the time war, we are clearly going to read about how there are no longer any time lords, which must have taken place during the time war. This is an official BBC book, written by Lance Parkin, written in 2005. Surely there are some answers in here. If anyone has read this book, let us know what the deal is. As for me, as soon as I finish it I plan to phone in and leave a review on our favorite podshock.

Heath Holland

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 03:18 PM EST

I haven't read The Gallifrey Chronicles yet, but to quote Whoniverse

"No, it definitely isn't the big time war with the Daleks that the new TV series has already told us about."

Taras

Tuesday, December 27 2005 @ 04:31 PM EST
    My understanding was that the television series and the book series did not cross over much. I recall in the old series that there were things that happened in the books that were never mentioned in the television series. That is why I was thinking that perhaps the radio broadcast had that information.

The 8th Doctor only had one television appearance and if you ask me they should not have counted that one as a Doctor. IF you were gonna follow suite then you should count Peter Cushing's time as a Doctor. But I think that is another topic that I should perhaps start. Anyway, there are more books out about that Doctor then televison series and don't think you can say that the war existed in the books and not on televison.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 05 2006 @ 01:47 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Iammoe] The 8th Doctor only had one television appearance and if you ask me they should not have counted that one as a Doctor. IF you were gonna follow suite then you should count Peter Cushing's time as a Doctor.

off topic, i know ... but surely the 8th Doctor counts because he regenerated? peter cushing didn't regenerate in his film, whereas sylvester mccoy/paul mcgann did. isn't that why he's counted as the 8th doctor?

though going by that logic, david tennant is technically the 9th Doctor and christopher eccleston is the 8th Doctor who we didn't see regenerate and if therefore the same man who's possibly had plastic surgery to look different and elecution lessons to talk differently and if i carry on much longer i'm going to go cross-eyed ...

"You're bonkers!" "That's debatable ..."

Thursday, January 05 2006 @ 03:09 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Iammoe] IF you were gonna follow suite then you should count Peter Cushing's time as a Doctor.

Peter Cushing was playing William Hartnell's character (sort of) in a re-telling of two stories of the classic series: The Daleks and The Dalek Invasion of Earth. This is the equivalent of Richard Hurndall playing the first Doctor in The Five Doctors. Or is he now the seventh Doctor, making David Tennant the 13th (don't forget Michael Jayston)?!? Twisted Evil

Taras

Thursday, January 05 2006 @ 04:46 PM EST
    ...and all of the various Doctors in Curse of the Fatal Death - that's got to be canon, surely! Wink

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 05 2006 @ 06:05 PM EST
    Don't forget that the 12th Doctor is pure evil and that even the Master was afraid of him. I think that was in the Trial of a TimeLord. I wonder what will happen with the new series once he hit the last generation. Will he do something like the Master and enter the Matix to gain additional lives?

I also thought Collin Baker did not want to do a regeneration and Sylvester McCoy just appeared.

Does anyone know when the new season actually starts?

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 05 2006 @ 06:51 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Iammoe] Does anyone know when the new season actually starts?

In the spring of 2006, most likely late March, but the BBC has not announced an air date for the first (or subsequent) episodes, yet.

Taras

Thursday, January 05 2006 @ 08:17 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Iammoe] Don't forget that the 12th Doctor is pure evil and that even the Master was afraid of him. I think that was in the Trial of a TimeLord.

"The Master... reveals that the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the Doctor's darker side, somewhere between his twelfth and final incarnation." (from Outpost Gallifrey)
    So he's not a regeneration.

[Quote  by:  Iammoe]I also thought Collin Baker did not want to do a regeneration and Sylvester McCoy just appeared.

There was a regeneration but Colin Baker didn't act in it... they put McCoy in a blonde wig Laughing Out Loud

I think that Richard E Grant should count though from Scream of the Shalka webcast. He was great and I loved the idea of an android Master.

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Friday, January 06 2006 @ 01:57 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  WarrenPeace] So he's not a regeneration.

Alright, we're on shakey ground already, but that may be the best term to describe the Valeyard... somewhere between his 12th and final incarnation would put him during a regeneration, possibly an analogue to the Watcher from Logopolis.

So, with R.E.G. we now have 14 Doctors, no wait... Adrian Gibbs (the Watcher) from Logopolis makes 15 Doctors already.

The Scorecard:

1. William Hartnell - First Doctor
    2. Peter Cushing - Dalek movies
    3. Patrick Troughton - Second Doctor
    4. Jon Pertwee - Third Doctor
    5. Tom Baker - Fourth Doctor
    6. Adrian Gibbs - The Watcher
    7. Peter Davison - Fifth Doctor
    8. Richard Hurndall - First Doctor mk. 2
    9. Colin Baker - Sixth Doctor
    10. Michael Jayston - The Valeyard
    11. Sylvester McCoy - Seventh Doctor
    12. Paul McGann - Eight Doctor
    13. Richard E. Grant - Nth Doctor
    (Shalka)
    14. Christopher Eccleston - Ninth Doctor
    15. David Tennant - Tenth Doctor

Are we dizzy yet???

Because we haven't even started on the licensed audios, charity and stage productions...

Trevor Martin
    David Banks
    Rowan Atkinson
    Jim Broadbent
    Hugh Grant
    Joanna Lumley
    Geoffrey Bayldon
    David Warner
    David Collings
    Derek Jacobi
    Arabella Weir
    Nick Briggs

I'm exhausted!

But don't forget the fan productions: WHO ARE THESE DOCTORS? for 44 more. And that list doesn't include Mark Gatiss, so we must be at 72 Doctors at least...

Taras

Thursday, March 16 2006 @ 12:22 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  WarrenPeace] I think that Richard E Grant should count though from Scream of the Shalka webcast. He was great and I loved the idea of an android Master.
    Nothing precludes him, yet, from "counting". On-screen, at least, numbers for the Eccles and Tennant Doctors have not yet been given. All we know as of this moment is that, because of Sarah, K9, Clive's comments in "Rose", his relationship with the Daleks, his description of why the TARDIS looks like a police box, and his general knowledge of UNIT, he's the same man from the classic series.

That's enough of a connection for me.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Thursday, March 16 2006 @ 08:05 AM EST
    And Taras didn't even include Buzz Aldrin!

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Thursday, March 16 2006 @ 08:40 AM EST

Nor did I include two paper mache heads...

Taras

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored