The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Gallifrey 20: Podshock After Dark
    Gallifrey 20: Podshock After Dark
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-EP2 - The Shakespeare Code
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-EP2 - The Shakespeare Code Views: 3682
     Wednesday, April 11 2007 @ 05:23 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    I've never seen Battlefield, is this the source of the TARDIS is grown theory?
    As it's not the first reference to the TARDIS being alive, no. It may be the first time the word "grow" was used in reference to where TARDISes come from, but the natural implication of a ship that's "alive" is that it's more grown than built. Series 1's "The Edge of Destruction" is really the first time the TARDIS is described as being alive, so that's really the origin point of what has now been greatly emphasized in the RTD era.

On another point, what's with the TARDIS's turbulant flying this season? It was fine at up until the Doctor made it snow. Is he trying to impress Martha with this? I remember from 'The Impossible Planet' he said it was sick, but that was never really followed up.
    Any ideas?

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 11 2007 @ 05:36 AM EDT

It is very disappointing that we as viewers have become so lazy, that everything has to be shown and explained onscreen, or we are up in arms. What ever happened to a little mystery? The more detail writers go into some psuedo-science, the more likely they will get something blatantly wrong. I like that they never explain in detail how the Carrionite technology actually works. Firstly, it would bore the majority of viewers to tears, and secondly, it would slow the pace of the story. I think it is more fun for me to speculate on how this could work, than poking holes in an explanation that obviously can't work..

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, April 11 2007 @ 07:07 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]On another point, what's with the TARDIS's turbulant flying this season? It was fine at up until the Doctor made it snow. Is he trying to impress Martha with this? I remember from 'The Impossible Planet' he said it was sick, but that was never really followed up.
    Any ideas?

It definitely seems like they're doing it a lot more this season. But there was a little of this in Chris Eccle's season, too, the whole rough landing resulting in the Doctor and Rose flat on their backs laughing.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 11 2007 @ 08:29 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    It is very disappointing that we as viewers have become so lazy, that everything has to be shown and explained onscreen, or we are up in arms. What ever happened to a little mystery? The more detail writers go into some psuedo-science, the more likely they will get something blatantly wrong. I like that they never explain in detail how the Carrionite technology actually works. Firstly, it would bore the majority of viewers to tears, and secondly, it would slow the pace of the story. I think it is more fun for me to speculate on how this could work, than poking holes in an explanation that obviously can't work..

Taras

In the words of the Doctor from.... Oh so many times.

"I will explain later."

Nuff said?

Wink
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, April 11 2007 @ 01:19 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]On another point, what's with the TARDIS's turbulant flying this season? It was fine at up until the Doctor made it snow. Is he trying to impress Martha with this? I remember from 'The Impossible Planet' he said it was sick, but that was never really followed up.
    Any ideas?

It definitely seems like they're doing it a lot more this season. But there was a little of this in Chris Eccle's season, too, the whole rough landing resulting in the Doctor and Rose flat on their backs laughing.
    Guys, we're at episode 2. We've had exactly one onscreen trip viewed from the "INT. TARDIS" (although we saw that one trip twice since it was the cliffhanger to "Smith and Jones").

This would appear to be some kind of repeated theme with respect to traveling backwards from the companion's time. It has consistently been demonstrated in TUD, T&C, and now TSC that going backwards means an extra bumpy ride.

Though "turbulence", for lack of a better word, seems most profound in these Earth historicals, the suggestion that the Doctor isn't in full command of his TARDIS is bourne out by episodes like "The Rise of the Cybermen", "The Runaway Bride", "The Empty Child" (an historical which begins with them already in orbit of 1944 Earth), and various others.

It'll be interesting to see whether this apparent trend continues at the start of "Daleks in Manhattan".

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Wednesday, April 11 2007 @ 04:49 PM EDT

Well, the reason why the TARDIS ride is a bit more bumpy than years past is because that is a change that RTD wanted... He wanted to make traveling in the TARDIS a bit more 'dangerous' -- hence the reason why it is often a rough ride.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, April 12 2007 @ 09:05 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  lucas] Sure, the general set-up was similar to Unquiet Dead. For that matter, the constant dropping of Shakespeare quotes was reminiscent of Rose trying to get Queen Victoria to say "We are not amused" in Tooth & Claw.

I was really fine with the similarities for the first, oh, say five minutes. Then Martha started her "Egads, What ho? Forsooth," (yes, not actually what she said, but you know what I mean), and the Doctor replied, "No, don't do that. Really, don't do that." All I could think was -- crap, are they going to lift all the dialogue from last series? Perhaps some people enjoyed the continuity (including having the back in time episode being episode two, again), but I find that formulaic and quite annoying, and really, not up to the standards of these writers - whether a kids show or not.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 12 2007 @ 01:52 PM EDT

Hmmmm, some people don't like running gags... others do... what is a writer to do?

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, April 12 2007 @ 03:53 PM EDT
    Hmmmm, some people don't like running gags... others do... what is a writer to do?

Cant please em all!

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 13 2007 @ 08:52 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]

Cant please em all!

Big Grin Nope. You can never please them all...

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 23 2007 @ 09:08 AM EDT
    The story was OK. The baddies were pretty good. The effects were good. The main thing that irritated me about this story was that Shakespeare spoke too modern, too slang and that brought my impressions of the entire story down.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 04 2008 @ 01:12 PM EDT
    In the middle of reading Bill Bryson's biography of Shakespeare. It would appear that the last 27 or so of Shakespeare's 154 sonnets were dedicated to a "dark lady": "her breasts are dun.../black wires grow on her head". Not just dark but dark skinned it would seem. Maybe a one time medical students turned UNIT member by the name of Jones?

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 04 2008 @ 03:24 PM EDT
    SONNET 29
    When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
    I all alone beweep my outcast state
    And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries
    And look upon myself and curse my fate,
    Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
    Featured like him, like him with friends possess'd,
    Desiring this man's art and that man's scope,
    With what I most enjoy contented least;
    Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
    Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
    Like to the lark at break of day arising
    From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
    For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
    That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

To bring some beauty into our lives! Just because...

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored