The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 03
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 03
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 10 'Blink'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 10 'Blink' Views: 9177
     Saturday, June 09 2007 @ 10:23 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] But there were holes. The main one being yeah, how did the Doctor know to tell Sally to duck? It made sense if he had some way of actually watching the future action and setting it up that way, but he couldn't.

Even when they were having the DVD "conversation", it would have made sense if the Doctor had some way of watching it and recording it, but since it was only the guy's short-hand script that allowed the Doctor to know what to say (though his timing would be off) it kind of proves he couldn't have known when Sally had to duck.

Except of course she might have told him at some point. But when? She didn't exactly get the chance to tell him when he was in London with the bow on his back. And she probably didn't write it in the package she gave him - that seemed only to have the photos of Cathy.

The people that were flung into the past, like Kathy Nightingale and Billy Shipton, were the ones who filled in the Doctor with all the necessary details in 1969. The Doctor had a device that he concocted to find the displaced people and get the details needed and/or pass on instructions.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, June 09 2007 @ 10:28 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Mawdryn] ...
    Next week looks fun. I'm curious about why the Doctor seems a bit cold toward Captain Jack. Maybe he and Martha were disappointed by Torchwood series one!

LOL Laughing Out Loud Perhaps...

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, June 09 2007 @ 10:46 PM EDT
    Quite an amazing episode! I was skeptical after seeing the trailer last week, thinking that it would be a knock off of movies like Ringu/The Ring. I was glad to be proved wrong.

The easter eggs were a very clever plot device, without being completely outlandish.

I though it was a bit too convenient that all of the angels somehow ended up looking at each other, thereby keeping one another from moving. How would The Doctor have made sure that would be the case? They weren't looking straight ahead, they appeared to be looking at the one next to them. Oh well, shutting up about that now, I'm getting bogged down in silly details.

Anyway, an outstanding episode. So much better than Love and Monsters. What a relief.

The trailer for next week looks extra sweet! One of my favorite actors of all time is playing a character in next week's episode. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Sir Derek Jacobi.

Too bad they couldn't have gotten a whole bunch of veteran Shakespearean actors, like Jacobi, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Patrick Stewart, Kenneth Branagh, Mel Gibson (just kidding about that one), etc to do cameos and bit parts in The Shakespeare Code. That would have been fun.

Anyway, I digress. I give this episode 4.5 Tardis groans.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Saturday, June 09 2007 @ 11:56 PM EDT

Bleeding Brilliant!

Finally a story that attacks from several non-linear perspectives. And does not talk down to the viewer in the process ie-You won't understand, your head might explode, etc. Yes, more stories that attack the idea that people can only understand events in A-B-C-D order. Give us C-D-B-A and we (or at least I) will love you.

Bravo and cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 12:45 AM EDT
    I assume all the holes were plugged in that packet Sally gave the Doctor. She could have told him to write 'duck' and also told him about the day her police officer friend (I forgot his name) died.
    One hole I can't figure out though.
    The four angels were frozen because they were looking at each other, but what about when the lights go out?

http://members.cox.net/rengobnor/ ..... Yahoo messenger -- rengob_nor

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 01:14 AM EDT
    Ok I may be new to the board, but has anyone forgotten the one thing that definitely stood out in this story???

Hello Sally Sparrow!!!!!!!

Can we say recurring character?

Ms. Mulligan made this character who could have been one off and gone literally leap off the page, and yes ok she was very easy on the eye to boot.

Other non-related Who message boards are clamoring already for a spin-off...while I propose nothing so grandiose, it may be-who-ve (ok bad pun) the powers that be to look into having this young lady return somehow...hey if it was good enough for Captain Jack....

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 01:35 AM EDT
    I loved the imagination, writing and suspense of this episode.

The bit with the "Easter Egg" reminded me of the out of sync conversations scene from the Red Dwarf episode "Future Echoes".

I do wish they had explained how Sally's warning worked. The Doctor not only had to know that she had to duck but placed the words under the sections of the wall paper in the exact order that she would tear it 28 years later.

Did anyone else think that it was strange that the house had blue framed white windows. Similar to how the Tardis looked in the 1960s?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 02:31 AM EDT

Side note, I don't think anyone has forgotten Sally Sparrow I am just blown away that they got a time travel story line that actually involves time travel.
    Sally was taking many pictures of the house, I am sure that she would document the strange note written to her by a mysterous stranger.

Cheers from the "Big Ball of Wibbley Wobbley Timey Wimey, stuff",
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 04:26 AM EDT
    I loved it too, that's three 5 groaner episodes in a row now. Good old Stephen Moffat, he really does write intelligent scripts. Every one of his stories reminds me why I love Doctor Who so much.

And the weeping angels - they were a brilliant concept. Properly creepy. You could believe that they were "one of the oldest races in the universe", unlike the big spidery lady in The Runaway Bride who was also described as such.

And did anyone catch the Confidential afterwards? Also thoroughly entertaining! How jealous are we that these guys get to make what they've clearly loved so dearly their entire lives?!

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 05:46 AM EDT
    The episode guide on the BBC website now has a link to the original story on which Blink was based. It was originally published in the 2006 Doctor Who annual and I guess has the original illustrations with it as they depict the Ninth Doctor.

Semi

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 06:31 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  theoncomingstorm] How good was that?!

Just a couple of questions - how did the Doctor know to tell Sally to duck? Where did the angel get the Tardis key from? Why was Billy in a seemingly derelict hospital and where did his body go? Were all 17 DVDs capable of firing up the Tardis or did they just get lucky with the one they had?

Yes - loved it.

I think Sally - in giving the Doctor 'the write up of events' at the end solves the 'ducking' problem.

It's a pity we didn't see the grandson leave the Key on the statue - I guess it was Martha's key that was used for that.

The hospital room - not derelict, just a rundown NHS ward! It was shown empty - bed stripped etc. - to comfirm the death I suppose.

Loved the 'you've only got 17 DVD's?' disbelief and the brother's (AV geeks remark) - 'this copy has good sound but the other has a better picture' - Sally reply 'who cares...play the thing' (or words to that effect.)

Like the lets give kids ANOTHER thing to be scared about - statues.

And for a Doctor lite episode he got enough screen time to keep it Dr Who.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 07:53 AM EDT
    I, too, loved this episode. Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were parts when we were clutching at each other when the statues were doing their thing. We both expected the statues to "move" (that they were actors dressed as statues and would start moving), but I think how the episode plays out made them much more frightening.

I loved the nod to sci-fi fans with explaining time travel and the "Timey whimey" stuff. There's just so much about this story that worked well on so many levels. For the Doctor and Martha not being in it that much, I think the episode was executed extremely well. There's been some stinkers this season (Dalek two parter anyone?!), but the last three have been amazing episodes.

With only three episode left, I'm thinking we're off to an excellent end of the season.

"You only own 17 DVDs?!" Ha, loved it! And Sally Sparrows, yep, very easy on the eyes. Excellent, excellent episode.

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 08:37 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] But there were holes. The main one being yeah, how did the Doctor know to tell Sally to duck? It made sense if he had some way of actually watching the future action and setting it up that way, but he couldn't.

Even when they were having the DVD "conversation", it would have made sense if the Doctor had some way of watching it and recording it, but since it was only the guy's short-hand script that allowed the Doctor to know what to say (though his timing would be off) it kind of proves he couldn't have known when Sally had to duck.

Except of course she might have told him at some point. But when? She didn't exactly get the chance to tell him when he was in London with the bow on his back. And she probably didn't write it in the package she gave him - that seemed only to have the photos of Cathy.

The people that were flung into the past, like Kathy Nightingale and Billy Shipton, were the ones who filled in the Doctor with all the necessary details in 1969. The Doctor had a device that he concocted to find the displaced people and get the details needed and/or pass on instructions.

Neither Kathy Nightingale nor Billy Shipton could have filled in the conversation that Sally had with the Doctor BEFORE Kathy's brother began making his notations. He didn't write down the first bit with the "and that... and that" and only began writing down Sally's conversation a few lines later.

Yeah, he could have filled it in out of memory, but it would have had to be an astoundingly good memory.

I also didn't quite like the trick at the end where the Doctor trapped the four Angels. During that time, the two kids were blocking the sight of the four Angels from time to time, and at no point could all four angles see each of the other three angels, having their view blocked by the kids, and the kids couldn't be looking at all four at the same time, being in the middle. Seems to me one might have escaped at any time.

Not to mention that while the guy was staring at the ONE angel, the other three were busy. They could have crept up behind him while Sally was out of the room and covered his head or otherwise made him not see, and then be zapped into the past.

Favorite line:

"Fascinating race, the Weeping Angels. The only psychopaths in the universe to kill you nicely. No mess, no fuss, they just zap you into the past and let you live to death."

That's brilliant writing. Then it goes on to talk about how you die in the past, and they use all the energy of the days you WOULD have had... ok, that part's nonsense, but the first part is brilliant.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 08:42 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  deknaj] Ok I may be new to the board, but has anyone forgotten the one thing that definitely stood out in this story???

Hello Sally Sparrow!!!!!!!

Can we say recurring character?

Ms. Mulligan made this character who could have been one off and gone literally leap off the page, and yes ok she was very easy on the eye to boot.

Well yes, she sure was cute. Probably the most attractive actress I've seen in - ages. The cute cheeks when she smiles, the perfect chin dimple... she's like a better Heather Graham and can act too. She'll be back.

But not on Doctor Who. She'll get her own series, I bet.

And as for her being a great character that leaps off the page, that's no indication she'll be back. Rarely is Doctor Who willing to bring back a recurring character who is peripheral to the main characters. Mickey, Jackie, sure, and now Martha's family, but I doubt we'll see Sally again.

Because I can think of another character who leapt off the screen with equal intensity, and we'll never see HIM again either. Right, Elton?

But man, that girl is gorgeous. And like the actor who played Elton, we'll see her all over the screen in coming years, I stake my reputation as a SuperFan on it.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 08:48 AM EDT
    Well wherever she does end up, she is definitely a fave amongst one shot characters in postings I've seen on other boards....Kudos to Carey Mulligan....may you have a long and great career ahead of you.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored