The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Pyramids of Mars Mummy Case
    Pyramids of Mars Mummy Case
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 10 'Blink'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 10 'Blink' Views: 9224
     Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 09:03 AM EDT
    For me, again this is just my opinion, watching sci-fi and fantasy requires a certain amount of suspension of disbelief. I prefer not to take apart a Doctor Who episode, pointing out all the plot holes. I would surmise that each of us has a certain amount of tolerance--we allow certain holes to slip by, but really, really big ones drive us nuts (for me, the premise of Gridlock was extremely weak). It's interesting to read what drives other fans up the wall with plot holes, and then compare that to my own.

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 09:23 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  deknaj] Well wherever she does end up, she is definitely a fave amongst one shot characters in postings I've seen on other boards....Kudos to Carey Mulligan....may you have a long and great career ahead of you.

Well she's not doing too badly already - barely 22 and 21 at the time of making this episode.

Already been in the film 'Pride and Prejudice' the TV series 'Bleak House' and 'Northhanger Abby'

Check here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 09:40 AM EDT
    Oh for goodness sake...."how could the Doctor have known to write duck"....

What was Sally doing when she broke into the house at the very beginning? She was taking photos. All she has to do is have taken a photo of the wall after the opening credits have started rolling. Then it gets put into the pack along with everything else and hey-presto. There's no worry about which order she pulls the paper off in because by the time the Doctor has seen the photo of the wall, Sally has already pulled the paper off.

I suppose - if you want to be pedantic about it - he could have arrived in the TARDIS at some point and have papered the wall and then scored the paper with a craft knife or something but that's REALLY putting the "anal" into "analyse".

Of course none of that answers the question as to why an Angel that attacks by creeping up on you in the blink of an eye would suddenly decide that it's going to chuck rocks at you instead. Nobody's brought that one up yet. But I guess that sometimes it's better to just shut up and enjoy the story.

I'd give this one a 4 out of 5 - but only because I'm waiting to see if something better comes along. After a weaker first half, the second half of the season is shaping up a lot better this year.

Abersoch

P.S. I wonder if the "you live in Scooby Doo's house" line was reference to the fact that Louis kept calling last year's "love & monsters" Scooby Who. Ahh, almost certainly not.....but then again.......

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 09:59 AM EDT
    This was a Five out of Five and I won't entertain a single comment to the contrary. Not only was I terrified by the creepy angels but there were some charming personal moments thrown in - and the end bit with them running around with bows & arrows (Is this a hint of when we finally find out why Queen Elizabeth is annoyed with the Doctor? Or was that just a teaser adventure we'll never witness? Either way, fun!)

With regards to Carey Mulligan, she was great in Bleak House and it's nice to see her get some more roles. She's a great actress.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 10:03 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

A whole lot of blink bling. Big Grin

Looking forward to our discussion tomorrow night in our live show.

The worse part of the episode occurred during the end credits... Angry I want to see the end credits, not Graham Norton (or anyone else not directly connected with the series)! Oh well.

Cheers,
    Louis

I agree, I was out and therefore had to watch on normal BBC1, but here is a tip for UK viewers with Sky Digital. Watch it on BBC 1 Northern Ireland, Channel 973. Not only do they not squish the credits but there are times when they also do not speak over the end titles.

I did check the BBC 1 NI version that my Sky+ recorded and although there was brief talking at the start of the end credits there was no squishing.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 11:02 AM EDT
    I have not read all of the posts in this thread although I get the drift that people generally enjoyed it.

I thought that it was great.

Original idea and execution and you barely noticed that it was a "Doctor Lite" episode.

If they do every DL episode to the same quality as this one then I don't think there will be another "Love and Monsters" type slating.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 11:36 AM EDT
    Did anyone notice that Sally Sparrow sounds a bit like Gary Sparrow?

P.S. It is of course possible that this message is a trap. If it is I can deal with it. P.P.S. I'm leaving this note in case I can't!

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 12:25 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] This was a Five out of Five and I won't entertain a single comment to the contrary. Not only was I terrified by the creepy angels but there were some charming personal moments thrown in - and the end bit with them running around with bows & arrows (Is this a hint of when we finally find out why Queen Elizabeth is annoyed with the Doctor? Or was that just a teaser adventure we'll never witness? Either way, fun!)

With regards to Carey Mulligan, she was great in Bleak House and it's nice to see her get some more roles. She's a great actress.

The bow and arrow was just their way of saying the Doctor and Martha are embroiled in some kind of yet-another weird crisis which is completely out-of-the-ordinary.

It's exactly the same as the Doctor and Rose running around with a red bucket and a blue bucket in "Love & Monsters".

It won't add up to anything, it's just how you would see them if they happened to be running by YOU on a Sunday afternoon while you were out shopping, as they run by trying to save the Universe.

Loved that part. It wouldn't have been as good if they just ran by, dressed as they normally are. The bow and arrow make that scene work, and with humor.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 12:38 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]

The bow and arrow was just their way of saying the Doctor and Martha are embroiled in some kind of yet-another weird crisis which is completely out-of-the-ordinary.

It's exactly the same as the Doctor and Rose running around with a red bucket and a blue bucket in "Love & Monsters".

It won't add up to anything, it's just how you would see them if they happened to be running by YOU on a Sunday afternoon while you were out shopping, as they run by trying to save the Universe.

Sean, thanks for the completely unnecessary explanation to my rhetorical question!

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 01:21 PM EDT
    Steven Moffat's new show, Jeckyll, is on the BBC next Saturday - worth a look, don't you think?

Lawrence Nightingale ...??!!!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 01:29 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch]

Of course none of that answers the question as to why an Angel that attacks by creeping up on you in the blink of an eye would suddenly decide that it's going to chuck rocks at you instead. Nobody's brought that one up yet. But I guess that sometimes it's better to just shut up and enjoy the story.

On Digital Spy Cult forum some suggested that it wasn't a 'rock' thrown - but part of a broken statue thrown - not to knock her out but that if it touched her - she would disappear into the past.

Others said the 'rock' was infact a stone 'duck' Big Grin

But the whole throwing thing seemed more of a 'hook' to the story than anything.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 01:36 PM EDT
    It's so much scarier to have fangy rock angels appear closer and closer! If they could just throw (or shoot) things they might as well be any kind of monster. I was properly terrified, bravo!

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 02:02 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] It's so much scarier to have fangy rock angels appear closer and closer! If they could just throw (or shoot) things they might as well be any kind of monster. I was properly terrified, bravo!

Another theory - is that the Doctor throws the stone!

ie. having read Sally's report

Cheers, daveac

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 02:16 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie]
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]

Sean, thanks for the completely unnecessary explanation to my rhetorical question!

LMAO, Brava Magpie, Brava!

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 03:59 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] It's so much scarier to have fangy rock angels appear closer and closer! If they could just throw (or shoot) things they might as well be any kind of monster. I was properly terrified, bravo!

Another theory - is that the Doctor throws the stone!

ie. having read Sally's report

Cheers, daveac

OOO - I love that theory! And technically he wouldn't have stepped in to stop the following events for fear of destroying 2/3rds of the Universe.

I've just had a second watch of the episode and have to say that it improved upon a second viewing, which has cheered me up no end as this will now probably become an episode I watch over and over again. I like episodes that improve the MORE you watch them.

As a note - did anyone else notice the 'wedding' comment. To transcribe:

"Things don't usually happen to me in quite the right order. It can get a bit confusing at times, 'specially at weddings. I'm rubbish at weddings, especially my own."

A further allusion (another easter egg) to the Doctor's family/wife/son or previous existence thereof? I don't think this comment relates to Family of Blood as John Smith was never married. Any thoughts?

PS: I utterly support the Sally Sparrow for companion camp!

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored