The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    San Diego Comic-Con 2004
    San Diego Comic-Con 2004
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 10 'Blink'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 10 'Blink' Views: 8992
     Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 05:04 PM EDT
    This was a 4/5 episode for me. It was better than Father's Day and Love & Monsters. It was entertaining and suspenseful enough to wish it was even longer. Just felt that the information was crammed in and I still need to watch it again to get some minor plot points. But overall, it was great!

"WOT?...WOT?" "WOT??????!!!!!" OUT!OUT!OUT!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 05:32 PM EDT

Would've posted sooner, but my Net connection was on the fritz last night. That being said...

WOW. No, really... WOW.

This has to be, by far, my favorite episode of the season. And I have a hunch once the well has run dry yet again for this year, it might very well remain so. Never would I have pegged a "Who-Lite" entry as a potential favorite, so hats off to you, Mr. Moffat - you've bloody well done it again.

Watched it twice now since last night - it's just too wonderful for words to fully express. But I'll continue to attempt to convey my enthusiasm as best I can.

The Weeping Angels were absolutely incredible to behold - so simplistic a gimmick, and yet - that's what classic Who does best. So wonderfully spooky... and THEN - YIKES!!! Eek!

Had I been a much younger viewer of the series in the here and now, this would've equalled nightmare-fodder for months to come. And even still - I might just be giving all statues I come across from now on the 'ole hard stare until they leave my line of sight. Still can't believe the Confidential's revelation of these being actors in makeup - I thought for sure with the edits they were actual statues constructed for the episode. Brilliant as always, chaps!

And I concur about Sally Sparrow - Eek! - WOWZERS! Carey Mulligan is positively breathtaking to behold - I suspect I'll be seeking out more of her work, boring period dramas or not. Wink It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if Sally and the Doctor were to cross paths again someday...

BTW - did any one else have a split-second Turlough moment when Nightingale's grandson showed up at the door? LOL - couldn't help but think it - though in the end, he actually resembled a gaunt Daniel Craig even more so, IMO.

I have to say, if "Who-lite" must continue as a necessary evil of each year's production schedule, this is the way to get it right. Again, I still can't get over the quality of this work - and to think it appeared to be the potential understood low-point for the season from the onset, even with Moffat's writing - Doctor Who just can't be Doctor Who without, well - THE DOCTOR! But this really worked. Quite an achievement indeed.

Can't wait for next week!!! Bring on the final arc of epic goodness! Mr. Green

"It goes DING when there's stuff." LMAO!

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 05:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]
    Still can't believe the Confidential's revelation of these being actors in makeup - I thought for sure with the edits they were actual statues constructed for the episode. Brilliant as always, chaps!

And I concur about Sally Sparrow - Eek! - WOWZERS! Carey Mulligan is positively breathtaking to behold - I suspect I'll be seeking out more of her work, boring period dramas or not. Wink It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if Sally and the Doctor were to cross paths again someday...

"It goes DING when there's stuff." LMAO!

For proof of the performers skill in playing the Angels look no further than the scene that Sally takes the key from the Angel, watch the two angels in the background as sally turns, Brilliant!

Carey Mulligan deserves a place in history for being able to dirve the story so well, not only is she beautiful she is talented. Very well cast indeed.

Loved that it boils eggs, meaning to or not. I have learned to avoid Hens Wink

Again I say that it is good to have an actual Time Travel Story,

Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 06:49 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] Carey Mulligan deserves a place in history for being able to dirve the story so well, not only is she beautiful she is talented. Very well cast indeed.

Mike M.

Well that calls for a picture! Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 10:24 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]
    BTW - did any one else have a split-second Turlough moment when Nightingale's grandson showed up at the door? LOL - couldn't help but think it - though in the end, he actually resembled a gaunt Daniel Craig even more so, IMO.

I most certainly did. When I first saw him I thought, "This guy looks like Turlough."

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 11:09 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  theoncomingstorm] Steven Moffat's new show, Jeckyll, is on the BBC next Saturday - worth a look, don't you think?

Lawrence Nightingale ...??!!!!

Sure, if they don't murder it like the Beeb recently did with Dracula. God, that was awful.

Lawrence Nightingale... that's funny.

And Merlin, you pointed out something that I thought was just my eyes deceiving me. During the whole show I had assumed the statues were inert statues, until later when I watched "Confidential".

But you're right. That shot of Sally turning around was incredible. So subtle I thought I had imagined it, yet when I just rewatched that scene now, knowing they were actors, it sent chills through me. No special effects, but one of the best shots in the show. Also note there is NO indication of movement in the shadows on the walls.

Perfect.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, June 10 2007 @ 11:43 PM EDT
    I'll just post a quick comment now, and will come back later to edit in a more detailed review. I really liked this one. And it was the doubleback one, no less. Very creepy work with the statues. And I was suprised to see in the Confidential that they were people in costume, not just movable statues.

-L
    p.s. and Carey Mulligan (Sally) was so very cute.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 01:11 AM EDT
    loved her in Bleak House. If you didn't see Bleak House and even if you think that is not your cup of tea - SEE IT. Great Stuff.

Carey Mulligan is my new fave actress...awesome episode.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 03:19 AM EDT
    I concur with the majority. This is a contender for best episode of Series Three.

I have to admit, I was starting to get a little worried about the future of Who after such lackluster episodes like "The Shakespeare Code" and the ridiculous Dalek two-parter (even "Smith and Jones" wasn't very stellar, IMO). With the Family of Blood two-parter and "Blink," however, my hopes are rising again.

Can't wait for next week's episode. As far as the Doctor and Jack not seeming to be as chummy in the preview, remember that Jack has been working for Torchwood, and who knows what he has been doing with the Doctor's hand all that time... Eek!

One other thing: "Blink" was time-travel done right. No changing of the past or preventing things that have already happened from occurring, but rather cause-and-effect in a non-chronological fashion. That's rarely how time-travel is depicted (notable exceptions that come to mind are the novel The Time-traveler's Wife and --yes -- Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, but it's more "real."

Facebook me! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583224917

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 07:41 AM EDT
    Wow. Three weeks in a row of wow.

I loved the original Sally Sparrow story, and Blink managed to take the concept and rework in a way which made the story totally new but still equally brilliant. No reference too Sontarans swordfighting on the rooftops of Istanbul, as it turns out, but still brilliant (if you don't know what I mean, read the short story - it's worth it just for that moment but still great in so many other ways...)

The scares were a bit more spread out than I had anticipated, but they more than made up for it in their... scarification. I screamed out loud at regular intervals, and have possibly torn the edge of the pillow I was holding in front of me. Easily the most scared I have ever been in Doctor Who (in fact, it probably equals with the "Hush" episode of Buffy on my all-time TV terror list).

Aside from writing a scary episode, Moffat again gave a masterclass at simply writing characters we care about. The Billy Shipton character had less than 5 minutes of screentime before the angels got him, but such was the quality of the dialogue (and the chemistry between the 2 actors) that I was terrified for him. The writer of "42" should take note.

Carey Mulligan was fantastic as Sally, she carried the episode effortlessly. Would love to see her again. Future companion mayhaps?

So much else that was great, but most of it has already been said. The in-shot movement of the angel in the attic was gorgeous, a brilliant bit of blocking.

And I too had a moment thinking they had snuck in a Turlough cameo as that door opened.

Pity Billy Shipton didn't continue policing in 1969 - he would've beaten Sam Tyler to his schtick by 4 years...!

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 07:49 AM EDT
    I had to consciously NOT think about this episode while I was laying awake in bed last night haha Eek! "I am a grown woman and there are no scary angels standing over my bed!"

haha

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 09:05 AM EDT
    Here's my new Blink! wallpaper (1024x768)

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 09:23 AM EDT
    It's tough for any show to live up to any kind of hype, and since they were hyping this up to be a scary story I fearing the worst. But it certainly paid off, and is probably my favorite story of the series thus far (episode 10...jeez...took long enough)

I knew ahead of time that this was going to be a Doctor Who-Lite episode. Once I began to enjoy it, I was worrying about how I was going to explain my liking for this episode, while being able to justify my loathing for last year's Lite episode, whose title I do not even want to speak here. Our common hatred for that episode involved, among other things, the lack of screen time for The Doctor and Rose. Anyway, my conflict subsided when it became apparent that the lack of The Doctor was actually an important piece of the plot. If you try to imagine this episode being told from The Doctor's perspective in 1969 instead of Sally's in the present, then it doesn't seem as interesting.

One other thing: all kidding aside, and I hope I'm not being naive, but does anybody else think that the "Scooby-Doo" line was a direct reference to the Podshock gang's label of last year's Lite episode? That was the 1st thing I thought of when I heard it. Don't know if was in the original script or if it was added at the last minute or improvised on the spot, but that would be one heck of a coincidence otherwise...

Anyway, kudos to the production team. 4.5 groans out of 5.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 02:13 PM EDT

[Quote  by:  lucas] ...
    Pity Billy Shipton didn't continue policing in 1969 - he would've beaten Sam Tyler to his schtick by 4 years...!

What a sec... now that I think about it, wasn't Sam Tyler's car accident in the original episode of Life on Mars took place around a weeping angel statue? Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 10:00 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]
    One other thing: all kidding aside, and I hope I'm not being naive, but does anybody else think that the "Scooby-Doo" line was a direct reference to the Podshock gang's label of last year's Lite episode? That was the 1st thing I thought of when I heard it. Don't know if was in the original script or if it was added at the last minute or improvised on the spot, but that would be one heck of a coincidence otherwise...

Anyway, kudos to the production team. 4.5 groans out of 5.

I think you're right - I mean he could have said Herman Monster's house or Casper's House.

Cheers, daveac

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored