The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    A Silurian
    A Silurian
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 10 'Blink'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 10 'Blink' Views: 9065
     Monday, June 11 2007 @ 10:02 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975] One other thing: all kidding aside, and I hope I'm not being naive, but does anybody else think that the "Scooby-Doo" line was a direct reference to the Podshock gang's label of last year's Lite episode? That was the 1st thing I thought of when I heard it. Don't know if was in the original script or if it was added at the last minute or improvised on the spot, but that would be one heck of a coincidence otherwise...
    Well, no, honestly. It wasn't the "Podshock gang's" label. The chase scene at the top of "Love and Monsters" was deliberately directed in a Scooby Doo style. Either the Confidential or the commentary, or both, referred to it as a intentional homage to Scooby Doo long before Podshock ever did.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 10:13 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]Well, no, honestly. It wasn't the "Podshock gang's" label. The chase scene at the top of "Love and Monsters" was deliberately directed in a Scooby Doo style. Either the Confidential or the commentary, or both, referred to it as a intentional homage to Scooby Doo long before Podshock ever did.
    Then I stand corrected. I hadn't realized Scooby-Doo was as popular over in England as it was here in the USA. Still would've been cool if it had been a reference to Podshock...

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 10:16 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  lonelyangel10]It was better than Father's Day and Love & Monsters.
    You'll need to make a better argument than that. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that every other Doctor Who story (classic and new series) is better than L&M. Saying a story is better than L&M is like saying a corvette is better than a minivan (no disrepect to minivan owners).

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 10:34 AM EDT
    Martha....this is the Doctor
    Don't Blink!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 11:08 AM EDT
    That's truly disturbing, Dave. Seriously. The 'tweening there makes the half-way ponit seem like she's got more plastic surgery than Ivanna Trump. Besides, surely the goal here is a good, old-fashioned return to a two-person TARDIS.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 11:24 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]Well, no, honestly. It wasn't the "Podshock gang's" label. The chase scene at the top of "Love and Monsters" was deliberately directed in a Scooby Doo style. Either the Confidential or the commentary, or both, referred to it as a intentional homage to Scooby Doo long before Podshock ever did.
    Then I stand corrected. I hadn't realized Scooby-Doo was as popular over in England as it was here in the USA. Still would've been cool if it had been a reference to Podshock...
    Indeed it would've been, but, no. Scooby Doo is so prevalent in fact Moffatt has previously used a reference to the character in another (sorta) Doctor Who script, "The Curse of Fatal Death". The companion in the piece, Emma, says that the 12th Doctor (Hugh Grant) "can't die" because he's "like Father Christmas, the Wizard of Oz and Scooby Doo" all rolled into one. Moffatt thus knew what a Scooby-snack was long before Podshock ever recorded its first episode.

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 12:54 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] And Merlin, you pointed out something that I thought was just my eyes deceiving me. During the whole show I had assumed the statues were inert statues, until later when I watched "Confidential".

But you're right. That shot of Sally turning around was incredible. So subtle I thought I had imagined it, yet when I just rewatched that scene now, knowing they were actors, it sent chills through me. No special effects, but one of the best shots in the show. Also note there is NO indication of movement in the shadows on the walls.

Perfect.

Sean.

Just reading that post sent chills down my spine afresh Eek! Cool .

[Quote  by:  lucas] So much else that was great, but most of it has already been said. The in-shot movement of the angel in the attic was gorgeous, a brilliant bit of blocking.

Pity Billy Shipton didn't continue policing in 1969 - he would've beaten Sam Tyler to his schtick by 4 years...!

It was beautiful, and the Sam Tyler Post - Darn wish I'd thought of that.

To borrow, mangle, paraphrase, and in the main misquote a costumer from Star Trek whose name escapes me-
    Set peices are expensive, human flesh is cheep and nice to look at.
    The performers show their skill in a way not common and though uncredited as yet, their skill is more effective than ANY CGI shot that I have seen from the Mill. Word of advice to the BEEB, put them on retainer Wink .

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 02:21 PM EDT
    Have to echo the comments about how much I enjoyed this one. The first time we saw one of the angels with the grotesque face made me jump!

According to the fact file for the programme Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! was first broadcast in 1969 - the year that the Doctor, Martha and Billy were transported to by the Weeping Angels.

A link to the Classic Series - the Programme for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe is now out. One of the shows is a 40th Annniversary tribute to some of the best Children's TV programmes ever - Trumpton, Chigley and Camberwick Green. The show will consist of an onstage chat with Brian Cant! Aside from being one of the voices that people my age grew up with, he also starred in "The Daleks Masterplan" and "The Dominators".

Semi

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 02:40 PM EDT

The caption for this image on the BBC website is: "Have you heard my Podcast?"

LOL!! Surprised!

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 05:58 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tawm] I loved this episode. Wild horses couldn't drag me from the screen while it was on. It was terrifying, without them having to spend their budget on a scary-looking monster. And, finally, it had causal loop paradoxes. And I'm a sucker for causal loops.

I also love a paradox in my scifi. I was intrigued with your use of the term 'causal loop' so I looked it up and on the following link in wikipedia there is a description of the term with examples (Blink is already there)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_paradox

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 06:47 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975] One other thing: all kidding aside, and I hope I'm not being naive, but does anybody else think that the "Scooby-Doo" line was a direct reference to the Podshock gang's label of last year's Lite episode?

Not likely. It's obvious from his interviews, and from "Love & Monsters" opening that Davies is very aware of Scooby Doo, and this wouldn't be his first reference to it. (Edited... uh... I didn't yet read those other posts that pointed out the same thing... sorry.)

Yeah, great episode, though. Loved that line "It goes bing when there's stuff." Some good one-off lines in this one.

And which if us is going to go to Cafe Press and start selling "The Angels Have The Phone Box" t-shirts?

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 07:44 PM EDT
    I totally forgot to mention this last night during the live show, but didn't hear anyone mention this...did anyone else catch the Doctor's reference to his wedding?

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 08:54 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Besides, surely the goal here is a good, old-fashioned return to a two-person TARDIS.

Funny but just today I was thinking about Sally Sparrow and if however unlikely, she became a new companion, how would they fit her in - and I realized how much I MISS a crowded Tardis! She's bigger on the inside, filler her up! fill her up!

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Monday, June 11 2007 @ 11:21 PM EDT
    A couple other quick notes. Thanks to whomever posted about the original short story being available at the BBC website. I just read it, and it was really good, too. I like how they fleshed it out in Blink.

I totally made a Back to the Future comment when the wife and I watched Blink and Sally got the letter from the past. And then without realizing it, we rewatched The Shakespeare Code afterwards, where the Doctor references Back to the Future himself. That was a funny coincidence.

I also had a quick Life on Mars moment while watching, but mine was after Sally met old Billy. In his wedding picture he looked a lot like the young version of Sam's future mentor, Glen Fletcher.

I can't remember what else I wanted to post. I have to go back to writing comments in Notepad, while reading through the thread. Big Grin

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 12 2007 @ 01:50 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Besides, surely the goal here is a good, old-fashioned return to a two-person TARDIS.

Funny but just today I was thinking about Sally Sparrow and if however unlikely, she became a new companion, how would they fit her in - and I realized how much I MISS a crowded Tardis! She's bigger on the inside, filler her up! fill her up!
    And that's precisely why "Boom Town" is my favorite episode of Series 1. It's just fun to have that many regulars around—when and only when they've all got something interesting to add to the narrative. It's even better when they all have a clearly different relationship to the Doctor, and especially when they have relationshiops between themselves. See, in my view, they should've stuck Jack in "The Idiot's Lantern" or "Fear Her", pulled it in broadcast order after "Girl in the Fireplace", and had a little bit more Mickey/Jack interaction. Then, either of those two stories would've had a cool subplot, you'd have gotten a direct Torchwood reference, and you'd lay one more stone on the pathway leading from Ricky to Mickey. Not only that but it really never made sense to me that Mickey never asked about Captain Jack after having left "Boom Town" with the impression that Jack was travelling with Rose for some time.

The general lack of care in crossing all the "t"s with Jack since "Parting of the Ways" is one of the things making me nervous about the rest of series 3. Yeah it'll never be explained why Mickey never cared about Jack after "Boom Town", but if we don't get some seriously clever background on Jack's "gap year", then I'm gonna be one very unhappy customer. The preview of him hanging onto the side of the TARDIS in flight is hardly an intriguing step in that direction.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored