The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Who Cosplay
    Who Cosplay
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 10 'Blink'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 10 'Blink' Views: 8743
     Wednesday, June 13 2007 @ 12:13 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  rocko]
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    But they were Quantum Locked when "any living thing" sees them. Cats? Rats? Dogs? Anything?

That's funny, because that's just the question philosophers ask about quantum mechanics measurements. Some say that sentience must be involved, or else no measurements are possible. Others have a more "generic" view of what constitutes a measurement.

So if a tree falls in a forest, on a weeping angel, and no one is around to see it....

Wink

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, June 13 2007 @ 03:55 AM EDT
    I can't get the time travel thing in this episode! The Doctor travels through time but Sally doesn't. Am I missing something simple? Can anyone get me past the "Timey-Wimey" thing?

At the end of the episode, Sally gives the Doctor the file containing the transcript to the conversation with the Easter Egg on the DVD. At this point, the Doctor and Sally are at the same point in time.

The Doctor can go back in time (as he does at some point in the future) and appears on the DVD but Sally can't! How did Sally have the conversation with the Doctor and write the transcript in order to give it to him later as the Doctor was warning Sally about the Weeping Angels but Sally would have had to live past this in order to give the Doctor the transcript in the first place. Looks like she couldnt have lived past the conversation (to get to her future to pass on the file) without giving the Doctor the transcript and she couldnt have given it to him if she had been touched by an angel.

Im well and truly lost on this one!

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 13 2007 @ 04:08 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  JimmyK] I can't get the time travel thing in this episode! The Doctor travels through time but Sally doesn't. Am I missing something simple? Can anyone get me past the "Timey-Wimey" thing?

At the end of the episode, Sally gives the Doctor the file containing the transcript to the conversation with the Easter Egg on the DVD. At this point, the Doctor and Sally are at the same point in time.

The Doctor can go back in time (as he does at some point in the future) and appears on the DVD but Sally can't! How did Sally have the conversation with the Doctor and write the transcript in order to give it to him later as the Doctor was warning Sally about the Weeping Angels but Sally would have had to live past this in order to give the Doctor the transcript in the first place. Looks like she couldnt have lived past the conversation (to get to her future to pass on the file) without giving the Doctor the transcript and she couldnt have given it to him if she had been touched by an angel.

Humm, well in truth this is one of the reasons Time Travel stories appeal to many of us here (I hope I am not speaking out of turn). In our own expierence we see events follow A-B-C-D-etc. but in a non-linear view of time A does not have to come first or last, it just needs to occour. It does seem to take free will out of the equasion, if any of the major events in the story had not happened then the probabilities might have collapsed and then, well the Doctor whould just have to wait 37 or 38 years to get his TARDIS back. That is if he could avoid the temptation of hijcaking himself in one of his many visits to Earth in the meantime Wink .

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, June 13 2007 @ 09:38 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    But they were Quantum Locked when "any living thing" sees them. Cats? Rats? Dogs? Anything? Or is it just things that could possibly kill them? Sean.

Cats, rats, or dogs? Nah. What about pidgeons?

Mr. Green

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 13 2007 @ 12:52 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]

So if a tree falls in a forest, on a weeping angel, and no one is around to see it....

Wink

Then it can jump out of the way.

Or - since we're talking Quantum Mechanics - obsering that event with change the outcome.

We don't observe - the Angel lives.

We do observe - the Angel dies.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, June 13 2007 @ 02:17 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  JimmyK] I can't get the time travel thing in this episode! The Doctor travels through time but Sally doesn't. Am I missing something simple? Can anyone get me past the "Timey-Wimey" thing?

That's truly the wibbly-wobbly, timey-whimey part! I've read many such sci-fi stories about "closed causal loops" such as this one. The existence of the transcript depends upon the existence of the conversation, which depends on the existence of the transcript, and on and on and on... Makes you dizzy, eh?

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 13 2007 @ 08:36 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] Jack's back... As worried as Darth seems to be about that (and by the way, Boom Town was one of my favorite episodes of Nine's as well), I'm taking a cue from Whodovoodoo and keeping my expectations low.

I was trying to find the Darth post you were referring to, but I didn't see anything offhand. I know I'm a little skeptical myself about Jack in the preview. Him clinging to the outside of the TARDIS as it flies through the vortex is a little too Bill & Ted for me. I mean, I could almost buy it if it were just flying through space like in Runaway Bride. But to get into the vortex, it dematerializes. If he grabbed onto it before it left, it would just fade away and he would fall to the ground. As funny as the arrow from the end of Shakespeare Code was, it didn't make much sense either. Somehow the TARDIS can withstand the blistering heat of the sun in 42 without so much as a spot of soot, and yet a bow can somehow propel an arrow into the surface of it. Rolling Eyes

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 13 2007 @ 09:05 PM EDT
    Just watched Blink last night - blinkin' brilliant! We had the lights off, sound turned up - awesome! I think I can recall a moment of synchronised jumping - lest we be touched by an angel... A stand out episode that will remain one that I know I'll keep coming back to in years to come.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 13 2007 @ 10:08 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] Somehow the TARDIS can withstand the blistering heat of the sun in 42 without so much as a spot of soot, and yet a bow can somehow propel an arrow into the surface of it. Rolling Eyes
    Heh, that's a really good point.

I tell you what would've been cool, and probably pretty cheap on the SFX budget. If the wooden exterior had in fact been shown to have been charred black, but then instantly returned to its natural condition once the Doctor and Martha got in proximity of it. Then there'd at least be the implication that link between man and machine is deeper than we'd imagined. Course, then, you'd have to explain why the Ninth Doctor was insistent the kid scrub "Bad Wolf" from the exterior, and, I suppose, why the Seventh Doctor had to clean up the, ugh, pink in "Happiness".

At the end of the day, though, both are really easily explained by suggesting that the chameleon circuit is quite firmly stuck.

If i were designing a chameleon circuit, with the object of making it blend it with its surroundings, I would try to make the form behave like the object should behave. So if it got burnt or encountered a force that would shatter it, I would program the thing to appear as if it were undergoing that metamorphosis. Then attackers would leave it behind in peace, thinking they'd achieved their goal. The Doctor comes back, produces the key, and presto, the thing snaps back into shape.

But the Doctor's chameleon circuit being stuck, all it can really do is maintain the current shape. So it "tolerates" low-level change, such as a nick in its surface caused by an arrow, or a bit of paint on its exterior, But much more than that—like the times it's fallen a distance that really should've smashed it if it were actually wood—and it can't reproduce the illusion of being destroyed.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Thursday, June 14 2007 @ 02:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] I was trying to find the Darth post you were referring to, but I didn't see anything offhand. I know I'm a little skeptical myself about Jack in the preview.

I probably didn't explain myself well. You and I are referring to the same quote:

Linquel, it is the same one I am talking about.

[Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] . . . .And that's precisely why "Boom Town" is my favorite episode of Series 1. It's just fun to have that many regulars around—when and only when they've all got something interesting to add to the narrative.

. . . . The general lack of care in crossing all the "t"s with Jack since "Parting of the Ways" is one of the things making me nervous about the rest of series 3. Yeah it'll never be explained why Mickey never cared about Jack after "Boom Town", but if we don't get some seriously clever background on Jack's "gap year", then I'm gonna be one very unhappy customer. The preview of him hanging onto the side of the TARDIS in flight is hardly an intriguing step in that direction.

My concern wasn't regarding the preview of him hanging onto the side of the Tardis, as I just rolled my eyes and thought "whatever," when I saw that. I was more concerned - which is what I perceived Darth's comment to be - about some closure on the Jack backstory. Are we never going to find out about his missing two years? Is he going to just show up and be alright with a new Doctor and Rose being gone? Will he be as happy-go-lucky as he was when last with the Tardis (prior to gallantly sacrificing his life and being unceremoniously brought BACK to life) which means they just ignore the whole Torchwood time, or will he be the changed man that we saw in Torchwood.

. . . . not to take over this conversation of BLINK with talk of Jack's Back.

BACK to Blink: I was walking to the train this morning, and I tend to take a slightly different path through the blocks each time, and what did I see at one corner? A statuary of an angel hiding its eyes. I just stood and stared at it a bit. I was creeped out. But I was able to turn my head and walk away..... and I only looked back once. Luckily it had not moved closer!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 14 2007 @ 03:04 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] BACK to Blink: I was walking to the train this morning, and I tend to take a slightly different path through the blocks each time, and what did I see at one corner? A statuary of an angel hiding its eyes. I just stood and stared at it a bit. I was creeped out. But I was able to turn my head and walk away..... and I only looked back once. Luckily it had not moved closer!

Steven Moffat's job is done!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, June 14 2007 @ 07:22 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] BACK to Blink: I was walking to the train this morning, and I tend to take a slightly different path through the blocks each time, and what did I see at one corner? A statuary of an angel hiding its eyes. I just stood and stared at it a bit. I was creeped out. But I was able to turn my head and walk away..... and I only looked back once. Luckily it had not moved closer!

It's funny you should mention that - I'd not heard from my ex for months (we're cool, we're friendly), and on Sunday evening, out of the blue, she text to tell me she'd kept a very close eye on the statues when she was at church that morning for her niece's christening!

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 14 2007 @ 08:36 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]Him clinging to the outside of the TARDIS as it flies through the vortex is a little too Bill & Ted for me.

This comment of mine and reading about prestination paradoxes online got me thinking a lot about Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, so I decided to watch it again. I always loved the movie. It's just been a while since I watched it. So I'm watching it, and as they're sneaking into the police station I had a Blink moment. They find a note in a typewriter that they write to themselves in the future that says, "P.S. Duck." It made me think of the Duck on the wall in Blink. Big Grin

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 14 2007 @ 09:34 PM EDT
    Oh, I think it's pretty clear that the writer was a fan of Bill 'n' Ted.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Thursday, June 14 2007 @ 10:00 PM EDT
    So I've just watched this thing for the umpteenth time, and I gotta wonder: wouldn't there have been one "reality" in which the Doctor and Martha waited until 2007 for Billy to have delivered the message? And at that moment, that timeline would've been closed to them because of Sally's actions. I mean the Doctor and Martha that will appear in "Utopia"—sure to them the events of "Blink" would've happend in a blink. But the first trip down the timeline, they had to wait just like everyone else, didn't they?

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored