The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 29
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 29
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 11 'Utopia'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 11 'Utopia' Views: 16741
     Wednesday, June 13 2007 @ 05:59 PM EDT
    After the superb "Blink" last week, I've had my expectations for "Utopia" reset a little by the Radio Times.

It says in the Highlights of the week (which doesn't give much away) that "Derek Jacobi, as the mysterious Professor, graces an episode that otherwise is a bit of a pudding. Fortunately, at the end, writer Russell T Davies pulls out a plum."

In the comments for Saturday itself the review finishes off "Jacobi is great as you'd expect, and there's engaging banter between Jack and The Doctor, but otherwise Utopia is a surprising clunker, seemingly created for its climax alone... thankfully, it's a beauty."

Not sure what to think of that - from the Radio Times of all places.

Semi

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 13 2007 @ 06:37 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Forget about going back to the "classic" past for an explanation of this screen shot. You have to just go back to last week. How can Jack have grabbed the outside of the TARDIS and been materialized with it, when the angels couldn't do the same thing? Maybe something to do with the telepathic link granted to companions? The TARDIS has done some very peculiar and specific things of late. Again returning to "Blink", the TARDIS can apparently choose/be programmed to materialize away from its interior occupants; I suppose a natural corollary is that it can choose which exterior passengers to bring along with it?

I guess it could be the energy within Jack that was given to him by the TARDIS via Rose in Parting of the Ways that allowed him to de-materialize with the TARDIS.... but just curious speculation on my part.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 13 2007 @ 06:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Nice screenshot... Though ever since I first saw this scene, I had a slight problem with it as I always thought when the TARDIS dematerializes it wouldn't automatically take whatever is clinging on to it... The same goes with the arrow at the end of The Shakespeare Code and again in the beginning of Gridlock.

I always feel if the TARDIS dematerializes, whatever is hanging onto it, will fall off -- be it snowflakes or a Captain Jack.

Cheers,
    Louis

Actually; wouldn't it make scientific sense (and I realise that we are talking Doctor Who) that the TARDIS dematerialises it's physical presence (either by disassembling atoms or changing time/space around it) and therefore anything on the surface of the TARDIS would be counted as part of the surface?

As to the arrow; that is the flaw.

If (as we are led to believe) the TARDIS is indestuctable then how would a mere arrow embed itself into the surface?

Forget the shooty dog thing!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, June 16 2007 @ 03:08 PM EDT
    Yes yes YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. It is of course possible that this message is a trap. If it is I can deal with it. P.P.S. I'm leaving this note in case I can't!

Saturday, June 16 2007 @ 03:11 PM EDT
    Jacobi was the Master!!! I did not see that coming. Mr. Green Almost makes up for finding out about John Simm role a few months ago!

Yippee! You can see now why Human Nature was adapted in the way that it was. There wasn't very much to this story, it felt rather like it was tying up all the odds and ends so we could move on to parts 2 and 3 of the serial, but you can't really be unhappy with a regeneration, can you!

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 16 2007 @ 03:11 PM EDT
    I have officially just lost my mind.

BRILLIANT, JUST BRILLIANT.

A three part ending - The Master - John Simm - A quarry - Sharp Teeth - Jack Harkness - Jacobi - Drums - Yes - Yes - Yes - Yes - Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay - I'm going to go and take a cold shower.

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Saturday, June 16 2007 @ 03:57 PM EDT

A THREE PARTER! And with the MASTER no less! I can barely contain myself!!

Cool Big Grin Big Grin Eek! Cool

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Saturday, June 16 2007 @ 04:26 PM EDT
    Wicked!!!!! Razz Big Grin Razz Big Grin Evil

I'll tell you what though; If I ever make it to the very edge of time, I donít know what Iíll find; but I donít anticipate Michael Jacksonís Thriller gang, led by some sort of Darth Maul wannabe.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 16 2007 @ 04:35 PM EDT
    Well,

Ken has his wish of a three part series ending.

The fans have the Master back.

I can open my mouth finally as I knew about the master and who played himSmile

This one has been kept very close to the chest with a lot of misdirection.

Okay; having not seen it I am on a flight to EnglandSmile

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Saturday, June 16 2007 @ 05:20 PM EDT
    Excellent episode, I actually found myself again shouting at the tv.

Trying to figure out how the doctor is going to get out of this situation, what a cliff hanger not only is the master back but the doctor is abandoned without his tardis,

Can he get Jack's time travel device working I wonder?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 16 2007 @ 06:06 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  NorthernLassUK]

For Three no less, now where did I leave that Time Ring from Genesis?
    Twisted Evil

Saturday, June 16 2007 @ 06:06 PM EDT
    That kid who won the Blue Peter competition was pretty good, come to think of it.

The more I think about it the more this is shaping up to be an excellent finale!

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 16 2007 @ 06:41 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  NorthernLassUK]Can he get Jack's time travel device working I wonder?

He needs to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow, of course.

Problem solved. Cool

The controls of the TARDIS are isomorphic.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 16 2007 @ 08:11 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  NorthernLassUK] Excellent episode, I actually found myself again shouting at the tv.

Trying to figure out how the doctor is going to get out of this situation, what a cliff hanger not only is the master back but the doctor is abandoned without his tardis,

Well we're in for a great ride - three top-notch episodes - with these final three looking even better.

I take it that with the Tardis gone the Doctor will seek out the Masters Tardis to get back to 'Election Day'

Terrific stuff - bring on the Podshock - and Louis get ready for a two-hour special!!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, June 16 2007 @ 08:26 PM EDT

WOW!!!

Brilliant dialogue, a wonderful lead up. Jacobi's performance sent chills down my spine, I felt the urge to laugh and cry at the same time while chills were dancing on my back! But Yana? Confused I guess the anomaly will be explained in the next two weeks, but when did he have time to do this? A clone at some point? So many questions.

Repeating Dave's prophetic warning, prepare for a long TalkCast tomorow there Louis Wink .

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored