The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Doctor Who Brighton Pier Exhibition 05
    Doctor Who Brighton Pier Exhibition 05
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 11 'Utopia'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 11 'Utopia' Views: 17008
     Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 09:47 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Simon] Here's something no one has yet considered...

What if the Jack in this episode hasn't yet encountered Torchwood?

But we saw Jack hearing and bolting to catch the Tardis in the finale of Torchwood last year... Hmmm... So are you wondering if this is a big sneaky set-up to trick us, and that the finale of Torchwood was actually Captain Jack hearing THE MASTER coming back to Cardiff... and Captain Jack will find a way to use the Tardis to save The Doctor & Gang from the future - but while he's doing it he "Changes Everything" (or, what was it he was always telling the Torchwood crew about the future?)

I can think of quite a few things that might not quite iron out in that senario but since "Blink" Introduced "Timey-wimey" I am going to explain everything away with that.

Actually, even though it's nothing but speculation - I think.... that I would really love to see a big tangled mess spanning both seasons & Torchwood unravel in this finale like that. Woo hoo!!!

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 11:32 AM EDT
    I've had a strict policy of avoiding all spoilers and rumours for this series (I don't even watch the "coming next week..." at the end) so I could allow myself to be completely surprised by the stories.

And suprised I was! Although I'd pretty much guessed who he really was by that stage, when the Derek Jacobi said into the camera "I am the MASTER", my mind blew a gasket!

To be honest I could have done without all the Futurekind stuff and maybe had more time on Professor Yana's back story. Also, it's the year 5 trillion-whatever but everything is still basically the same - machine guns and wire fences. The tech should have been unrecognizable to us.

But the last 15 minutes were awesome and made up for all that. Excellent stuff. 4/5.

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 11:43 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Simon] Here's something no one has yet considered...

What if the Jack in this episode hasn't yet encountered Torchwood?

He has the hand from the Christmas Invasion so he has a means of detecting the Doctor (something he was already in possession of at the beginning of the TW series), and he knows that the rift in Cardiff is a likely spot to wait around by (following Boom Town). May be what we have here is a pre-Torchwood and post-Parting of the Ways Jack who has lived out a long life waiting for the Doctor to return.

I bet that by the end of this series Jack will be dropped off back in Cardiff ready to set up his Torchwood Hub (and perhaps a little moodier and darker following his recent adventures with the Doctor). That's why he seems like his old self here ... the fascinating thing is who's TARDIS does he then disappear into in the future events of Torchwood?! – a future Doctor, a past Doctor, the Master, another time traveller he has recently encountered? I can't wait to find out!!!

Overall, I thought this episode was a lot like Gridlock - a daft story designed for a whopping great big payoff at the end. I enjoyed the last ten minutes tremendously, but this great ending could have had a better set up. Loved Derek Jacobi - I wish he could have stuck around for longer and made his transformation (and death of the professor) even more poignant. Please John Simms don't be a wacky Master and give us a genuinely threatening villain. Pretty Please…

Great stuff! Good luck with the Live Show later today everyone.

Didn't the Doctor mention to Martha that the rift has been active ?

Would that not mean that this happened after TW ?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 12:02 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  old china]

To be honest I could have done without all the Futurekind stuff

Yeah I found them pretty lame and the minute they started talking in their weird grumbly pseudo-eastern european snarls I thought somewhere some uni student is thinking - 'YESSS I can add this to my "Racism in Contemporary Science Fiction" Thesis in the same chapter as the Neimoidian Trade Federation aliens from Star Wars!'

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 12:17 PM EDT
    Great episode! It seems that we are going to have a whizz-bang ending to an otherwise pretty lackluster series.

Why "the Master in the Watch"? My first guess it that it was imposed on him by the Time Lords or the Doctor (similar to what happened to the Second Doctor when he was exiled, regenerated, and was given a mental block regarding operation of the TARDIS). Or, he did it to himself to escape detection by the Doctor and/or elimination during the Time War.

Now Captain Jack's brooding in Torchwood makes more sense. Living for almost 150 years through human history, waiting for the "right" Doctor to show up, would leave a lot of people pretty jaded. That, and thinking Rose was dead. Personally, I would have made use of my knowledge of 20th-century "history" to my advantage. You know, selling a lot of stocks short in early October, 1929...that sort of thing.

By the way, for those who haven't read the BBC books, the Eighth Doctor at one point was also stranded on earth throughout most of the 20th century. It made for an interesting story arc.

Hey, weren't we supposed to see Ice Warriors this series?

Facebook me! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583224917

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 01:47 PM EDT
    The mess in the Torchwood hub could have been the effect of the hand picking up the Tardis /Doctor signal. Maybe that had a similar effect to a Tardis landing. Question Question

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 03:31 PM EDT
    I suspect that the Time Lords gave the Master a new set of regenerations to help them fight the Time War against the Daleks.

Also, am I mistaken, or did I hear Roger Delgado's voice in the voices that the Professor hears. There is a line that sounds like "Destroy him, then you will give your power to me" and I think I heard Anthony Ainley's devious laugh shortly before that. Approximately 36:55 into the episode.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 03:53 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  indiana_brian] Also, am I mistaken, or did I hear Roger Delgado's voice in the voices that the Professor hears. There is a line that sounds like "Destroy him, then you will give your power to me" and I think I heard Anthony Ainley's devious laugh shortly before that. Approximately 36:55 into the episode.

You are correct. I'd thought the same thing last night, and upon a second viewing of the episode earlier, I then dashed over to the official site for some fact checking... Sure enough, here's what can be found under the "Classic Connections" bit under Utopia's Fact File:

"Among the sounds heard by the troubled Professor Yana are the words and laughter of earlier incarnations of The Master."

There you have it.

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 04:23 PM EDT
    For some reason, I kept thinking of the S1 episode Boom Town during this ep. because they say that Yana was found as a young child. Remember when Margaret the Slitheen went back to being in an egg after looking into the heart of the Tardis? Wonder if there's a connection, since Yana/the Master ended up being a child? Could something similar have happened to him? Since the watch he had could have been the same one John Smith had, did the Doctor actually send Yana/the Master to that planet that is Boe's planet? Did Boe do it? I'm a new fan, so if this sounds ridiculous & implausible...well, I'm not as up on the entire history of the show as others are.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 05:57 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tlsmith1963] Wonder if there's a connection, since Yana/the Master ended up being a child?

I just assumed that the story of him as a child was a concoction of the pocket-watch - a false history. But, you never can know for certain! Smile well, unless they tell us.

(edit - hehehe the forum censored "pocket watch" in a really hilarious way. Look - pocke*censored*ch - !!)

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 06:05 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] ...
    (edit - hehehe the forum censored "pocket watch" in a really hilarious way. Look - pocke*censored*ch - !!)

Ewww... it's being a

t w a t !

Wink

Sorry about that.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 06:12 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Wink

Sorry about that.

Cheers,
    Louis

It made me larf! (Reminds me of the thing the other day about the The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds forum that was accidentally censoring a four letter c-word - ha ha!!)

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 06:37 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] This was an incredible episode. I wasn't all that fond of the Mad Max bunch, but other than that, this had it all.

Haha. I called them Michael Jackson's Thriller gang, but I prefer your description. They were pretty poor.

I posted quickly last night because I was going out and I just couldnt do this justice. I've now watched it 3 times.

I simply can't believe that something that started so slowly, could end so fantastically. It was BRILLIANT.

After 15 minutes last night, despite some witty dialogue, I was wondering if my post of a couple of days previous, saying just how fantastic RTD is wasn't applicable to Utopia. Good lord; no no NO.

There were so many great moments.

I remember the Monday after the first season finished, I sat down at work at about 8.30am - & before she'd even said good evening, my then boss announced "They DUMPED Captain Jack!" It was nice to finally hear the Doctor tell him that he knew it was alright, because he knew he couldnt die. Obviously Torchwood has given an insight that we didnt know then, but I was pleased to hear The Doctor say it nonetheless.

Derek Jacobi was brilliant, but John Simm's manic interpretation was even better. Running round the Tardis, celebrating, gloating, teasing and enjoying. He was nasty & masterful.

& without doubt, I think this was David Tennant's best ever performance as the Doctor. To his wonderful wonderful credit he was even better than John Simm, and if they do dump Martha after her (smallish) performance last night, then someone needs their head examined (ironically probably RTD).

Someone's started another thread, on which the question is asked if this is the best series ever? If this 3 parter (!) is followed through and it's concluding episodes are realised and delivered in the way that this was - then I'd say yes.

Simply brilliant. Simply wonderful. Timeless Television.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 07:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]

Derek Jacobi was brilliant, but John Simm's manic interpretation was even better. Running round the Tardis, celebrating, gloating, teasing and enjoying. He was nasty & masterful.

& without doubt, I think this David Tennant's best ever performance as the Doctor. To his wonderful wonderful credit he was even better than John Simm, and if they do dump Martha after her (smallish) performance last night, then someone needs their head examined (ironically probably RTD).

Someone's started another thread, on which the question is asked if this is the best series ever? If this 3 parter (!) is followed through and it's concluding episodes are realised and delivered in the way that this was - then I'd say yes.

Simply brilliant. Simply wonderful. Timeless Television.

I gather you liked it then?

Cheers, daveac Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 07:27 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    I gather you liked it then?

Cheers, daveac Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Yeah, it was ok.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic