The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Colin Baker Interviewed by the Gallifreyan Embassy (1987)
    Colin Baker Interviewed by the Gallifreyan Embassy (1987)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 11 'Utopia'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 11 'Utopia' Views: 16734
     Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 09:29 PM EDT
    Out of curiousity, if the Time Lords have technology to rewrite their genetic makeups, why would they change themselves into humans? Granted, there is the outward appearance, but the Doctor has encountered many other humanoid species, so why humans?? Is there a close relationship between humans and Time Lords? Are Time Lords nothing more than humans with some genetic enhancements? Or is it just the Doctor and the Master that change themselves into humans and could that be because they have some human factors in their dna which makes the conversion easier???

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 09:39 PM EDT

Ok, just watched this for the third time. (I know, I know - obsessed much?) Anyway...

A few more points to consider outside of all my earlier thoughts/observations:

Jacobi's "Master Yana" says to Chantho (perhaps not precisely, mind you) "The Professor? Merely an invention - a clever disguise... so clever in fact that I almost forgot who I was." This, in conjunction with the Doctor's "I'm sorry" at the end of the episode really supports my theory of his life as Yana (for however long it actually was) embodying a punishment that was to be carried out in full without him ever really knowing who he truly was in the end. Sure, Jacobi's delivery is vague enough for one to take it that he might've done this to himself in order to hide out from something as well ala the Doctor (perhaps the Family, too? Or in fact, the events/aftermath of the Time War?), but I just don't buy that. I think he's royally miffed about his mindwipe, knowing full well he was banished.

It supports the almost certainly falsified history of being a child which he speaks of that likely never could have happened, given all the circumstances. What we still DON'T have any real insight into is how he escaped the Eye, or how he took on "Jacobi Form." Likely, it could've been another irregular assimilation ala the TV Movie and in "Keeper of Traken" (after all, thinking back, the Master has truly never really regenerated again UNTIL NOW - it's always been about stolen bodies and the will to survive by any means necessary, since he truly DID run out of lives and was reduced to the decayed 'Skeletor Muppet' as seen in "Deadly Assassin/Keeper of Traken."

Which brings me to my next point - the regeneration into the spry and wily Simm form. I think DrWho001 has it nailed - it was the X-mas hand that provided the catalyst. After all, if the tingley finger moment isn't enough, pay close attention to the framing of Simm's Master as he wakes up on the TARDIS floor - the hand is right there as if to suggest as much. He even puts his right hand ON IT to push himself up as he stands. Heh heh, RTD, you sly 'ole dog...

Also - it only took 3 viewings, but darn it - anyone else catch Martha's line near the end after Simm's Master addresses the Doctor over the TARDIS intercom? "Hang on - I know that voice!" It's initially hard to catch to some degree, since the door banging is making some heavy background noise over Murray Gold's somewhat too-loud-in-this-exact-moment score. Sounds as though Martha indeed has a bell going off in the form of recognizing Mr. Saxon from present day Earth. Splendid! Big Grin

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 10:02 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  joereform] Great episode! It seems that we are going to have a whizz-bang ending to an otherwise pretty lackluster series.

Why "the Master in the Watch"?

First explanation came to me was he was hiding out during the Time War. Went to a place even Time Lords wouldn't go, then hid out.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 10:32 PM EDT
    I don't think the hand would have any effect on the Master's regeneration. Touching it through the glass would accomplish anything, but taking it with him gives him the same 'Doctor Detector' that Jack had in Cardiff.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 10:46 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]
    Also - it only took 3 viewings, but darn it - anyone else catch Martha's line near the end after Simm's Master addresses the Doctor over the TARDIS intercom? "Hang on - I know that voice!" It's initially hard to catch to some degree, since the door banging is making some heavy background noise over Murray Gold's somewhat too-loud-in-this-exact-moment score. Sounds as though Martha indeed has a bell going off in the form of recognizing Mr. Saxon from present day Earth. Splendid! Big Grin

It took you three viewings to notice that??? Hehe!! Smile I latched on to that exciting tidbit straight away Big Grin

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 10:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  indiana_brian] I don't think the hand would have any effect on the Master's regeneration. Touching it through the glass would accomplish anything, but taking it with him gives him the same 'Doctor Detector' that Jack had in Cardiff.

Exactly, and if he can boost the range a bit he will know whenever the Doctor is around (depending on when 'Saxon' arives) in present day in every event from The Christmas Invasion onward. I am sure he has very good records on the Doctor's timeline from a static viewpoint, and should not have a difficult time figuring out when the Doctor he has to wory about shows up on the Doctor Detector.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Sunday, June 17 2007 @ 11:37 PM EDT
    Just finished watching Utopia and the confidential.
    Wow!! Mr. Green

More review to follow, probably tomorrow.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 18 2007 @ 06:39 AM EDT
    Oh my God!

Derek Jacobi was fantastic and John Simm was wonderfully manic in his post regenerative state. I liked how during the regeneration he screamed like he was in pain and this is a first a proper Master regeneration no possessing people or merging etc.

I like how during this series/season they play with non-linear time.

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 18 2007 @ 08:54 AM EDT
    I wanted to add my 2 cents on how the "Professor" ended up with the watch where he was.

1.) If the Doctor was responsible for doing it to him, he'd have never said he was the 'last of the timelords' and he'd have certainly recognized him when they arrived there. (Not to mention he said he'd never been there.)

2.) When the Doctor said "I'm Sorry" to the Master I think he was apologizing for the events of the time war and the destruction of the TimeLords because he DOES feel that was his fault. As evil as the Master is, he's still a TimeLord and his people and home planet are gone due to, in some small part, the Doctor's actions.

I've only watched it once, but I seem to remember the Doctor yelling at the Master from outside the TARDIS trying to tell him that they were alone, there were no other timelords.

Now.. in that same thought, I DO think the TimeLords were responsible for the Master's predicament, I agree that it could have been a very effective punishment, but WHY leave the watch with him? Why not turn him into a kind gentle human and leave him somewhere WITHOUT the watch?!? No... I think the Master did this to escape the TimeLords and possibly the Time War as well.

Check out HOO on WHO, my podcast devoted to the review of Classic series Doctor Who DVD's. http://www.hooonwho.com

Monday, June 18 2007 @ 09:15 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Dr. Hoo]

Now.. in that same thought, I DO think the TimeLords were responsible for the Master's predicament

But The Master is a baddie, as such he is evil and self-serving and did this to himself when he saw his own bitter end coming his way?

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Monday, June 18 2007 @ 09:52 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Dr. Hoo]

Now.. in that same thought, I DO think the TimeLords were responsible for the Master's predicament, I agree that it could have been a very effective punishment, but WHY leave the watch with him? Why not turn him into a kind gentle human and leave him somewhere WITHOUT the watch?!? No... I think the Master did this to escape the TimeLords and possibly the Time War as well.

I think that as well - that he did it to himself - otherwise as you say - it would be like putting someone in a jail and giving them the key at the same time.

I think the only mystery is why did he do it?

To hide from the Timelords?

To hide from some race he'd messed with?

To disappear during the mayhem of the Timewars?

Or just to get away and 'lick his wounds'?

Lots of possible reasons.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, June 18 2007 @ 10:41 AM EDT
    Oh my...what an episode, where to begin...

[Quote  by:  seanhuxter]The funny thing was, though, when Martha said "It was the same watch." all I could think was... oh dear. The Professor... he's the Doctor!
    I thought the same thing! He brought up Rose and how she was on a parallel world and now I'm thinking they did the same thing with The Doctor...this is The Doctor from HN/FoB in a parallel universe, that was never transformed back! I'd heard rumors all season that The Master was coming back, but what better, plausible story to use to cover the fact that Yana and The Doctor(John Smith) were the same. Not sure I would like the fact that they were different versions of the same person, but still would've been kinda cool.

[Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]The real question is - was it intentionally done by the Master himself (ala the Doctor in "Human Nature/Family of Blood"), or was this a form of punishment that should have ended with the death of a gentile old soul that would never truly realize what/who he actually was?
    [Quote  by:  joereform]Why "the Master in the Watch"? My first guess it that it was imposed on him by the Time Lords or the Doctor (similar to what happened to the Second Doctor when he was exiled, regenerated, and was given a mental block regarding operation of the TARDIS). Or, he did it to himself to escape detection by the Doctor and/or elimination during the Time War.
    I hope for believability sake The Master did it on his own. If it was some form of punishment, then why oh why would they let Yana keep the watch??? This was one of my few peeves with HN/FoB...if changing their DNA and masquerading as a human is so important that even they, themselves, don't know about their true origin, then why risk letting Yana keep the watch (and why didn't Martha keep the other watch, instead of risking John Smith opening it, or somebody stealing it). Just take the watch and destroy it. Another problem with this theory, is that the Timelords DID believe in some form of capital punishment (see Deadly Assassin and Arc of Infinity), so why tip-toe around it and do some bizarre live-your-life-as-a-mortal thingy? If they have no awareness that they were once a Timelord, then where's the punishment?

[Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]As for the other major WTF moment in the story - ... - It seemed to be alluded that the TARDIS actually materialized in the Torchwood Hub, with either Jack jumping inside or clinging on (which seemed likely, from the previews)
    Thank You! I was driving myself crazy looking for my copy of EoD because this is how I remembered the series ending. I'd begun to question myself as to whether or not it really happened that way. A production oversight? Or maybe setting up a future Captain Jack story as someone else aluded to? Not sure if it's the latter, as I don't think The Doctor would knowingly let Jack keep his severed hand.

[Quote  by:  Dr. Hoo]1.) If the Doctor was responsible for doing it to him, he'd have never said he was the 'last of the timelords' and he'd have certainly recognized him when they arrived there. (Not to mention he said he'd never been there.)
    Technically I think the Doctor would've still been correct to refer to himself as the last. If (and that's a big if) The Doctor chameleon-arch'ed The Master as a kind of punishment, then technically The Master wasn't a Time Lord anymore.

A few more things:
    - Loved the "indomitable" Tom Baker reference
    - Loved when Captain Jack was talking about his last memories about Satellite 5 and he mentioned the Daleks, and that triggered another memory inside Yana. Good reference to the beginning of the McGann TV-movie.
    - Loved the music leading up to Jacobi opening the watch. Does the BBC release soundtracks for individual episodes of the new series, like they do for some classic series stories? I know they've got that collection that was released a few months ago, but I'd totally be interested in buying a CD of the music score for this episode. Or if anybody could point me to a music-only track of the episode, I'd forever be in your debt...well not really, but I'd really, really, really appreciate it...
    - I've been spoiler-free for most all of the season. The only tidbit I'd picked up on was that The Master may be coming back. I figured he and Mr. Saxon were one-and-the-same, but had no idea who Derek Jacobi and John Simm were, which helped prolong the secret. However, I watched last week's Confidential and during the preview for this week's ep, I kinda figured that we'd be seeing The Master. John Barrowman had mentioned The Doctor having "the rug pulled out from beneath him" followed by a shot of Tennant looking at something very bright. I assumed he was watching The Master regenerate (not quite what happened), but thought it had to be this Yana guy that was gonna be the Master, and was on the edge of my seat for every scene he was in. I haven't been this riveted by an episode since last season's finale when it was rumored that Rose was going to die.
    - Didn't quite get the whole human refugee/sharp-teeth people/rocket rest-of-the-story. Doesn't really matter, as any scene that didn't have The Doctor, Captain Jack, or Yana didn't mean anything. Who needs plot when you've got stunning story reveals?*cough*PhantomMenace*cough*
    - One last thing...anybody notice that The Doctor wasn't in the preview for next week's episode? It's good in the sense that it add's to the suspense, like maybe they're really not gonna get out of this jam, but I thought it was interesting because I can't think of any other new series preview that hasn't had The Doctor in it...

Done...and if anybody actually reads all of my post, I'd be surprised...see what happens when you wait until Monday to post? Too many pages of posts to catch up on...

Thanks for reading,
    Steve

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 18 2007 @ 10:46 AM EDT
    Sorry, don't normally do YouTube postings in episode review threads, but as I was unfortunately silenced in this week's podcast, here's a little bit of fun fanboy noise:

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, June 18 2007 @ 11:22 AM EDT
    My previous bit of fluff out of my system, here are some mroe serious comments.

• Unless it's just sorta happened while typing these responses, I was surprised no one mentioned on the Podcast or in this thread that, for lack of a better title, "The Master's Theme" or "The Saxon Tap" is actually just the baseline of the Doctor Who theme. It also could be interpreted as a sped-up repetition of the the last few notes of the original Master's theme from "Mind of Evil". That's very clever.

• I actually liked the FutureKind. I thought their attack on the humans was metaphorical of the struggle between Doctor and Master, definitional almost of what it means to be a TimeLord. They're the Master, the humans are the Doctor; two very similar sides of the same coin. I also dug that their distinguishing characteristic was their sharp teeth, continuing the sorta allusions to the Devil that have been sprinkled through the season. I think they'll be given a bit more background next week that'll perhaps appease those currently thinking they were rarther bog standard Mad Max ripoffs.

Plus I think they were kinda what the plot required, rather than unimaginative. You needed to have a mobile threat that could pass as human, but in close-up easily identifiable as non-human. A natural disaster or an obviously non-human alien wouldn't have worked to give us sabotage, which was in turn necessary to force Jack into the radiation chamber so he and the Doctor could have a meaningful chin-wag. I think, in other words, they fit the storytelling requirements well.

• I'm amused by the fact that few people are underlining the point that this was a "proper" off-Earth story. After all the clammor for the Doctor to get off Earth, I'm fascinated by how little consideration the fairly fascinating planet got. Sure it's not the focus of the story, but it's an extremely well-rendered city (even if it borrowed heavily from Star Wars' Geonosis and Utapau). And doesn't anyone want them to amortize some of the proesthetics budget for Chantho across to future episodes? I'd love to visit this planet again next year, at a different point in its history. I'm somewhat amazed how much more I liked Chantho's prosthesis than Dalek Sec's, even though they're really rather similar. Perhaps the fault lies more with the actor. But then, as a big fan of Aayla Secura, I'm a sucker for a blue-skinned woman.

• I was delighted that the fob watch returned. It makes me feel better about the deviation "Human Nature"'s screen adaptation took from the novel.

• I'm somehwat curious why the Master's "human nature" was so benign. John Smith was fairly similar to the Doctor; I'm a little perplexed why Yana wa so different to the Master. Course, that made the turn to the Master that much more unexpected, so I'm not complainin' too much. I'm just surprised.

• Like others have mentioned, the jury is still very much out on whether Jack's initial appearance this week makes any damn sense given the conclusion of Torchwood series 1.

• I think the Confidential preview of next week adequately demonstrates Simm's performance will be multifaceted, rather than OTT.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, June 18 2007 @ 11:24 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Sorry, don't normally do YouTube postings in episode review threads, but as I was unfortunately silenced in this week's podcast, here's a little bit of fun fanboy noise:

Ha! I love the Soap theme music during the piece. LOL.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic