The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    5-11-96 TV Guide Article - page 2/2
    5-11-96 TV Guide Article - page 2/2
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 11 'Utopia'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 11 'Utopia' Views: 17569
     Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 09:09 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]

I'm thinking that whatever the Doctor did with his sonic screwdriver that sent the console sparking will be some kind of auto-return (like the time machine without the key in Time After Time) that will bring the TARDIS back after the Master gets out.

Great idea - but that gives us yet another reason for the Master to take the Doctors hand into the Tardis.

Will the 'hand' fool the Tardis into 'thinking' the Doctor IS onboard.

EDIT - and so not respone to a 'sonic-screwdriver' re-call.
    Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 11:07 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  NorthernLassUK] Excellent episode, I actually found myself again shouting at the tv.

Trying to figure out how the doctor is going to get out of this situation, what a cliff hanger not only is the master back but the doctor is abandoned without his tardis,

Can he get Jack's time travel device working I wonder?

Well, based on how other cliffhangers have ended with the RTD series, something wonderful and unexpected is about to happen.

Remember, Chantho never asked Yana about the watch. Maybe the perception filter affected her also, thus making her a Time Lord too.

Perhaps the watch will be opened near her body and cause her to come back to life as a Time Lord and or regenerate.

Maybe her Tardis is in the room.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 11:14 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  KevinK]
    Remember, Chantho never asked Yana about the watch. Maybe the perception filter affected her also, thus making her a Time Lord too.

Perhaps the watch will be opened near her body and cause her to come back to life as a Time Lord and or regenerate.

Maybe her Tardis is in the room.

Oh No! - that's another can of worms!! Big Grin

People will be trying Anagrams of 'Chantho' - ie 'Rani No two' or something.

Cheers, daveac - getting out his paper and pencil 'c h a n t h o'

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 11:58 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]Once thing I just thought of (and I'll amend this if someone else mentions it) is, I was puzzled by the Master's regeneration at the end. They need to do some serious explaining because the Master was out of regenerations back in Deadly Assassin through Keeper of Traken. I thought he used a combination of the powers he got through the rod and sash of Rassilon and the Traken story to take over Nyssa's father's body. It wasn't a regeneration. And the gelatinous goo Master taking over Bruce's body certainly wasn't a regeneration. I wonder how (if) they'll explain it.

Let's remember that we're dealing with writers and script editors of a fictional story. The rules of the Doctor Who universe apply only for as long as they need them to. For example:
    - We all know how Timelords get 12 regenerations and then they finally die...that is until The Master got access to The Source on Traken and took over somebody else's body, prolonging the inevitable.
    - We all know how the Dalek from "Dalek" was the last one in existence...that is until there were some other Daleks that escaped the Time War and fell through time, replenishing their armies at the cost of humanity.
    - After all these remaining Daleks were wiped from existence, courtesy of Bad Wolf Rose, there were none left...until it was revealed there were a couple more hiding out in a void ship.
    - And we all remember when they left Mickey behind on parallel Earth and had to say goodbye because, although they ended up there as a fluke, travel between parallel worlds is impossible...that is until the Cybermen decided to do it in Army of Ghosts, at which point Mickey and company followed them through.

I know this sounds sarcastic, but we're dealing with writers of fiction, whose only boundary is the limit of their imagination. I'm hoping they'll explain The Master's regeneration at the end of "Utopia" in a known-"Whoniverse" plausible way, but I'm not holding my breath. My best plausible guess: we know from "The Five Doctors" that the Timelords offered The Master a new set of regenerations in return for his help, so the technology does exist to make it happen...perhaps in the confusion of the Time War, the Master got access to it, used it, and then chameleon arch'ed himself to flee to the end of the universe avoiding detection. I'm refusing to believe that somebody did this to him as a punishment and then let him keep the watch. I think it was daveac that said it best, "it would be like putting someone in a jail and giving them the key at the same time." That's too big of a plothole. I'm starting to accept it happening to John Smith in HN/FoB, but to happen twice is not acceptable.

[Quote  by:  Linquel]I'm thinking that whatever the Doctor did with his sonic screwdriver that sent the console sparking will be some kind of auto-return (like the time machine without the key in Time After Time) that will bring the TARDIS back after the Master gets out.
    [Quote  by:  daveac]Will the 'hand' fool the Tardis into 'thinking' the Doctor IS onboard.

Let's also not forget that The Master isn't a newbie when it comes to TARDISes (or is it TARDI?) He's well aware of the 1-to-1 connection between a Timelord and their TARDIS. The Master took the hand into the TARDIS for a reason, and if there was any chance of a return trip to its owner, he won't let that happen. I think the business with the sonic screwdriver was just a simple attempt at sabotage to prevent The Master from leaving.

I think that the connection between a Timelord and their TARDIS is more of a psychic connection, rather than simply physical detection. The mere presence of Timelord DNA wouldn't be enough. Remember how we got to this point in time...the TARDIS was trying to shake off Jack despite the presence of the hand in Jack's backpack. If the TARDIS could've been tricked into thinking The Doctor was clinging to the outside, then surely it would've done an emergency materialization at the first available moment, and not brought them to the end of the universe.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 12:44 PM EDT
    Wow, this thread had a LOT to read through to get here!

Two words to describe this episode: "Woo hoo!"

I LOVED this line (and some of the others) from the Professor while chatting with the Doctor: "A little recognition would have been nice." A bit of the Master getting through, there??

Great to see the quarry again.

Can't wait to hear the Doctor explain everything about the Master to Jack and Martha.

I suppose I can see two explanations for the Professor persona: (1) it sounds very typical of this Doctor (or the way he's portrayed by RTD) to have put the Master (having reverted to a child-state by the TARDIS) on an isolated world with a new personality- even with the watch. (2) The Master did it to himself in order to lie low during the Time War and eventually ally himself with the victor, never suspecting that it would take his true personality so long to emerge.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 01:07 PM EDT
    Let's not forget who last had possession of the watch before we saw Professor/Master had it.

It was Tim Latimer, hmm TL? Time Lord? Question

Nah!

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 01:34 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Oh No! - that's another can of worms!! Big Grin

People will be trying Anagrams of 'Chantho' - ie 'Rani No two' or something.

Cheers, daveac - getting out his paper and pencil 'c h a n t h o'

Hatch On
    No Hatch
    Natch Ho
    Natch Oh
    Chant Ho
    Chant Oh
    Chat Hon
    Ah Notch
    Ha Notch
    Hath Con

p.s. Internet Anagram Server / I, Rearrangement Servant to make it easier on you...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 01:42 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Smitty] Let's not forget who last had possession of the watch before we saw Professor/Master had it.

Are we even sure it's the same watch? Yes, Martha said it's the same as his, but she's just a human and doesn't have a firm grasp on all this advanced technology. Is it THE watch? Because I thought the Master had chameleon arch'ed himself at first, I hadn't assumed it was the same watch from HN/FoB. I assumed it was standard issue for Chameleon Arches at your local TARDIS manufacturing plant. Sorry, don't mean to sound silly, but just trying to make a point...anyway did The Doctor mention anything about the arch being unique to his TARDIS? Why couldn't The Master have arch'ed himself within his own TARDIS, and then create the Professor Yana persona?

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 01:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]...
    Natch Oh

Mmmmmmmm...nachos.

-Homer

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 03:32 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975] Because I thought the Master had chameleon arch'ed himself at first, I hadn't assumed it was the same watch from HN/FoB. I assumed it was standard issue for Chameleon Arches at your local TARDIS manufacturing plant. Sorry, don't mean to sound silly, but just trying to make a point...anyway did The Doctor mention anything about the arch being unique to his TARDIS? Why couldn't The Master have arch'ed himself within his own TARDIS, and then create the Professor Yana persona?

I agree about all this - but the 'YANA' name IS difficult to explain if the Master chose that name.

That's why there's talk that the Face of Boe had a hand (sic) in it.

Cheers, daveac

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 04:52 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] ...

Cheers, daveac

Perhaps he used the Doctor's spare hand in the jar? Wink

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 05:08 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975] Because I thought the Master had chameleon arch'ed himself at first, I hadn't assumed it was the same watch from HN/FoB. I assumed it was standard issue for Chameleon Arches at your local TARDIS manufacturing plant. Sorry, don't mean to sound silly, but just trying to make a point...anyway did The Doctor mention anything about the arch being unique to his TARDIS? Why couldn't The Master have arch'ed himself within his own TARDIS, and then create the Professor Yana persona?

I agree about all this - but the 'YANA' name IS difficult to explain if the Master chose that name.

Cheers, daveac

Hmmmm, fob watch?

FOB <--> YANA

F - Face
    O - of
    B - Boe

Y - You
    A - Are
    N - Not
    A - Alone

natch!

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 05:33 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Hmmmm, fob watch?

FOB <--> YANA

F - Face
    O - of
    B - Boe

Y - You
    A - Are
    N - Not
    A - Alone

natch!

Sherlocknat!

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 05:54 PM EDT
    The sheer volume of posts that this episode has generated, from gushing praise (my own review for example) right through to complex analysis of the smallest things; it says a lot about how strong it was.

I don't think an individual episode has generated such discussion since I've been around this great website.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 19 2007 @ 06:01 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] I don't think an individual episode has generated such discussion since I've been around this great website.

Love & Monsters and Blink so far still have more posts, and Blink is still relatively active...

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored