The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Nicola Bryant and Colin Baker
    Nicola Bryant and Colin Baker
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 12 'The Sound of Drums'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 12 'The Sound of Drums' Views: 12726
     Saturday, June 23 2007 @ 06:48 PM EDT
    Two main points to make first:-

The Master eats Jelly Babies!!!!!

This episode will need a second or even third watch before giving it a rating - and -

The Master eats Jelly Babies !!!!! almost worth the episode in itself!!

Cheers, daveac

EDIT - Where is everybody?

Is the Red-Eye running late or what?

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, June 23 2007 @ 07:36 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] EDIT - Where is everybody?

I was shooting photos at Coney Island this afternoon (Mermaid Parade), so I only just got home. Gorgeous weather today... shot thirteen rolls of film. Thirteen? is that number significant? Only my second time out to the beach in the last twenty years. Frown

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, June 23 2007 @ 07:41 PM EDT
    I started watching the episoe and saw the teamarrive on Earth and thugh what a cop out so I was pleased to see an explanation of what happened to them before they transported.

I though the episode was full of some nice fan pleasing lines and we did get an explanation as to why the master still exists!

Only watched it once but the nice touches I noticed on my fist viewing were:

Martha asking he Doctor if the master was his secret brother!
    The master watching a current childrens tv programme
    The master eating jelly babies
    Galifrey, galifrian robes and the academy
    Torchwood tie in

Loads of questions to be answered including who is Mrs Saxon,is she human? could she be the Rani?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 23 2007 @ 07:54 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  NorthernLassUK]

Only watched it once but the nice touches I noticed on my fist viewing were:

Martha asking he Doctor if the master was his secret brother!
    The master watching a current childrens tv programme
    The master eating jelly babies
    Galifrey, galifrian robes and the academy
    Torchwood tie in

Loads of questions to be answered including who is Mrs Saxon,is she human? could she be the Rani?

Yes - this episode will take a few watches to sort out - at least for me! Rolling Eyes

Loved this bit as well 'Martha asking he Doctor if the master was his secret brother!'

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, June 23 2007 @ 08:31 PM EDT
    Whew,

Another fast flight.

Not all that was in that spoiler page was true.

Not too bad but RTD does like these ott series endings and he had a touch of the Masters megalomania in this one.

Not a let down from the first episode if you kept your speculation in check and your expectations low.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Saturday, June 23 2007 @ 09:33 PM EDT

Wow!

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, June 23 2007 @ 09:35 PM EDT
    I love the Doctor's retort about he and the Master being brothers!

Good solid episode but not on the same level as Army of Ghosts/Doomsday

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 23 2007 @ 09:38 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] ...

Not only that, but he keeps them in the same little paper bag.... As soon as I saw him take that little bag out of his pocket, I knew exactly what had to be in them! It's a great touch!

I also loved the comment made by the Doctor to Martha, "I think you have been watching too much television" when she speculates about the Master's relation to him. Classic!

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, June 23 2007 @ 09:51 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  daveac] ...

Not only that, but he keeps them in the same little paper bag.... As soon as I saw him take that little bag out of his pocket, I knew exactly what had to be in them! It's a great touch!

I also loved the comment made by the Doctor to Martha, "I think you have been watching too much television" when she speculates about the Master's relation to him. Classic!

Cheers,
    Louis

Actually Louis,

The little paper bag is a standard issue from any small "sweet shop" in the British Isles.

Like a "convenience store" as they are known here; "Sweet shops" sell principally sweets (candy you call it here) newspapers and smokes (which you used to be able to buy in packs of 10 or even 5.)

The sweets (like Jelly Babies; Sherbert Lemons, Cough Candy, Pear Drops or Acid Drops (that will start a nostalga tripSmile) are kept in 5lb jars behind the counter and then; when selected are usually poured onto a small scale and then into a bag as you saw in the show.

It is usual to buy sweets this way in units of 1/4lb.

Some of this has changed now but I should imagine that this is still a very common practice.

The usual joke about Jelly Babies was that you would say to the sweetshop seller; "A quarter of Jelly Babies and make 'em all boys coz there's more on themSmile"

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Saturday, June 23 2007 @ 10:13 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf]...
    The little paper bag is a standard issue from any small "sweet shop" in the British Isles.

Thanks Bad Wolf... I always had a sneaky suspicion that was probably the case, as all the Doctors that did eat Jelly Babies, always had them in the same little bag.

Whereas I never purchased them myself from a 'sweet shop' in the UK, but rather had them imported and they always came in either a yellow cardboard box or a cellophane printed bag (plastic bag packaging).

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, June 23 2007 @ 11:13 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf] The little paper bag is a standard issue from any small "sweet shop" in the British Isles.

Hmm, what's the betting that at some point in the future, we're going to get an episode where little paper bags from sweet shops around the UK turn out to be lethal killing devices. Eek!

..........Naah! That's probably one for the next series of Torchwood Wink

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 23 2007 @ 11:25 PM EDT
    Excellent episode, just loved it. There was alot here espicially for fans of the classic series. Can't wait to see who the Toclafane are since the Master said if the Doctor knew who they really were his hearts would break.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 12:07 AM EDT

So here we go. Power up the Paradox machine, turn on the Heavy Metal music, and let 6,000,000,000 Loc-Nars drop from the rift in the sky. The story already generates enough paradoxes withouth having to invent another one. Either we have a prior pickup for Jack, or the Doctor is mistaken about locking the controls to the time frame he mentioned. Presumably the Doctor would be aware of the Master being plucked from (here we go Rolling Eyes ) his TARDIS' "Eye of Harmony" and if only for the purpose of becoming a Mad Warrior for the Time War, then I presume the Doctor would object on moral grounds. Gonna have to wait for the finale to see if the three parter actually works.

All that said, I did enjoy it Evil .

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 12:30 AM EDT
    Best line in the entire episode that pretty much mirrored my reaction tonight-

"WOT??????"

I think I have to watch it again, maybe in a week, when my head stops spinning....I need to really listen to Podshock tomorrow to have a few burning questions explained to me. Anything that did get a proper explaination got pushed aside for all the other plot elements that had to make me just accept what was going on.....

This wasn't a 5/5 for me, more like a 2/5, I wanted to give it 3/5, but then you guessed it, the laser screwdriver went and zapped The Doctor into retirement age...*gulp* Neutral . The tie in w/ Lazarus was not very significant for me in relation to the bigger picture of Harrold Saxon's agenda. I definately need some clarifying...

Eek!

"WOT?...WOT?" "WOT??????!!!!!" OUT!OUT!OUT!

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 06:20 AM EDT
    Hmmm..

I'm really not sure that its necessary to hold off judgement on this one as I think there was more than enough in this episode to warrant a review - particularly as I really don't think this is all going to tie together in a way that will satisfy most of us.

Instead, I think this is RTD doing a homage of RTD Doctor Who and so will pretty much focus on the earthbound plot threads that have been laid out in this episode (and with its accompanying flashbacks to remind the not-so-regular-viewer). I will be very very surprised if any off-world storylines will fit in here and I think we can forget about any closure on the Futurekind, Utopia plot line for now at least. This TWO-PARTER is spinning off in a very different direction.

(i.e. I don't think this is really a trilogy as some here are treating it. Surely a trilogy means some significant story arc and more than just a story with the same characters in it.)

I'm just not convinced that behind all the complex layers of puzzles and riddles is anything other than .. well .. more layers for the sake of it. Each massive event was layered on top of another - with a splash of ADULT Torchwood which hopefully the kiddies at home didn't watch Eek! . Basically this is a finale that will pretty much rewrite the events of this series to suit the finale and wrap them up in a way that looks bafflingly clever - but upon closer examination is just confusingly simple and a bit dull.

Given that so far people on the forum have suggested that the most notable thing in the episode is the Joker .. I mean, Master .. eating Jellybabies, can I assume that everyone else thought this was a real clunker but are afraid to say it?

I love RTD's Doctor Who and I think he is a wonderful producer, but I hope my love for the show doesn't mean I can't spot a badly realised episode when I see it.

I guess I'm just wondering who has editorial control over an RTD script and whether anyone on the production crew feels they can say "Hey Russell, y'know this bit were the robots from 'Batteries not Included' come down from a crack in the sky to the sound of a pop song, while the Master looks on from a giant skyship over London .. well, don't you think its a bit rubbish and needs a lot more work?"

I just can't see that happening, and I think here there was a good set of ideas that really needed some strong and objective editorial control before the final episode reveals that the Choclofane (or whatever) are really Timelords miniaturised and put in little robot ships, and that the rift they came through was actually just a supermassive plot hole. Then just as the Master destroys the earth (for no fathomable reason other than he is eeevviilll – little finger in corner of mouth) Rose will dive through a newly created plot hole (accompanied by a Dance/Trance/Rock soundtrack) and kick his ass with her new found martial art moves. The episode will close with a tearful farewell to Rose as she passes through the rift to the sound of "We'll meet again..."

Basically, I'm not sure that repeat watching of this will provide anything other than a realisation that this is a bit of clunker. Not bad, but a bit of a pantomime caper. I just know that Doctor Who this season has hit some amazing new heights, and I'm afraid that this now becomes the benchmark that episodes like this should be compared with - and rightly so.

Do you think the Torchwood series 2 opener will be set in the Himalayas with a lost and very cold looking Gwen and Owen sat on the floor like Jack Nicholson at the end of the Shining? The opening line could be
    “…bugger, I knew we shouldn’t have trusted that treasure map Harold Saxon gave us.”

May be then they'll stumble across the ancient city of Shangri-la and be endowed with superpowers to fight crime! Hey, I'd watch it!

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored