The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daphne Ashbrook
    Daphne Ashbrook
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 12 'The Sound of Drums'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 12 'The Sound of Drums' Views: 12774
     Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 06:44 AM EDT
    Well, I really, really enjoyed that one. Glad to see the high standard set by Human Nature several weeks ago STILL hasn't abated.

Also, very happy that this is a three parter. Obviously part three is yet to televise but it really feels like it needs the extra story telling in honour of the Masters return.

In fact, we've had more cliff-hanger endings this season than in any other new-Who season yet, and do you know what? It actually feels GREAT- more space for better stories to be told! Actually waiting for the rest of the story the following week feels like classic Doctor Who. And "Joe-Public" doesn't seem to mind either judging by the consistently high viewing figures this season's had.

How cool would it be to have a season 4 consisting of longer, deeper stories with more complex characters and lots of edge of the seat cliff-hangers keeping us guessing til next week, instead of entire stories being wrapped up in 42 minutes? The odd one parter would be fine (I mean, Blink is one of my favourite episodes ever) but if RTD decided it was okay to give certain stories more room to breath and have more two, three (four?) parters!

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 06:54 AM EDT
    I agree, I think the pacing of series 3 is one of the best things about it and hopefully will mean longer stories and cliffhangers in future series. I loved Blink too and I think that this series has really used the one episode format to great effect. Hopefully the lessons learned here will make for a very strong and exciting series 4 and beyond!

Can we see a bit more of the inside of the TARDIS though...?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 07:59 AM EDT
    Well, I won't be afraid to say that this episode wasn't a 5 out of 5. I'd place it more at 2.5 or 3 out of 5. I'm not liking the Master's personality--too Jokerish (as already mentioned) to me.

I hate to say that, but for me, so far Blink and Human Nature are my favorite episodes so far. At the rate events were happening in The Sound of Drums, I can't imagine that the last episode is going to work effectively. There's plot lines all over the place and as for what the aliens are, I really, really hope they're not "baby" Daleks or some stupid think like that.

I thought the Galifrey CGI looked horrible and wasn't impressed with the 8 year old master looking into the Vortex. There's a lot in this episode that I thought just didn't work. The entire season hasn't been building up to this--it's almost as though we had some great episodes and then someone else replaced the series with some rather lame, cliche, endings. I don't give one white for Martha's family, find it a bit odd that all the characters are suddenly unable to do anything, and viewers are caught in a forced cliff hanger until next week. The writing, in my opinion, was really off on this one--just didn't work for me at all. I'm not saying that I despised the episode but it was surely forgettable.

I think the nods to fans was funny, but when the most I can say about the episode is that the Master eats jelly babies, well, that is saying something.

One thing that I like to say: I've been a Doctor Who fan since the '80s and just because there is a Doctor Who doesn't mean that I, as a fan, have to fawn over it. With so much other great stuff to watch on TV (or rent), I wasn't impressed with this episode at all.

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 08:38 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Mohan] I'm not liking the Master's personality--too Jokerish (as already mentioned) to me.

I thought the Galifrey CGI looked horrible and wasn't impressed with the 8 year old master looking into the Vortex. There's a lot in this episode that I thought just didn't work.

I've watched a second time - and I need to watch it more - it seemed both good and bad in equal measure - but how its resolved in part 3 might turn it into a great storyline.

The 'trial' of young 8 years being recounted by the Doctor would have worked better if it had said that:-

'We found out later that the Master had gone mad but he had hidden the signs so well he was still allowed into the Academy - it was then he stole a Tardis and fled Gallifrey.
    I on the other hand wanted to run but I stood my ground knowing that was required to pass...and it was later that I questioned the views of the Academy and I sort of ran away in a 'borrowed' Tardis.'

As the Simm playing the Master as totally mad - as he says RTD had written it- I feel that is the wrong portrail.

A power mad Master - Yes!
    A ruthless Master - Yes!
    A scheming Master - Yes!
    A megalomanic Master - Yes!

But an mad 'idiot' Master - No!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 10:36 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf]
    It is usual to buy sweets this way in units of 1/4lb.

Some of this has changed now but I should imagine that this is still a very common practice.

Where have you been? In 2007 Jelly babies come in a yellow bag from Spar at 10:30pm along with a bottle of Irn Bru, some Skips, and a copy of Take a Break. Otherwise they come from Tesco's where you scoop 'em out yourself - no little paper bags. Oh wait this post is supposed to be about The Sound of Drums!

Well... I harp on about this but I really hate when the whole world is at stake all the time - BUT from the looks of things & the preview it does seem like everything gets pretty demolished so if subsequent episodes maintain that the world has to be rebuilt, I might not mind so much. This whole "Cybermen invaded but now everything is back to normal again" annoys me. I'll have more respect if Series 4 has 2008 earth in shambles. There never actually being consequences sort of, ruins the drama I think.

I think I will have to watch this a couple of times to make a comment. I was very aware that I was watching a middle episode the whole time. I can understand why one would wait until the end of the third season to bring back an old nemesis - fan-boy stuff isolates new viewers, and having to explain back-history can irritate older fans.

I think I'll watch it again & let it sink in. I don't want to get myself started speculating on stuff that will come out to be completely wrong again.... but it's so tempting!! I haven't really been paying attention to see if David Tennant was signed up for a series 4 but if he was going to go I think having his body ruined by an aging laser is as good enough reason as any. Seriously I think this Doctor has had more crappy stuff happen to his body than any other and no regeneration triggered yet? I think it's a bad precedent to make this Doctor so tough. Next time they want to switch actors everyone'll be incredulous.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 02:38 PM EDT
    I do not think this was all that great an episode. It was OK from the point of view that it gave background information on the Master, his relationship with the Doctor, and the time lords in general. I think they left too many open issues for one final episode. I fear the last show is going to be a bunch of quick fixes to wrap things up.

When was the Doctor in Cardif at the start of this 3 parter? Could the Master be the reason the "Rift was activated recently"?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 02:47 PM EDT
    Much like everyone posting, I think, this has deserved a rewatch.

I was stunned to silence on the first watching.

Honestly I absolutely LOVE Simm as the Master. I think the 'insanity' of the character is required to balance the Doctor's own insanity.

I'm astounded by the sheer ammount of plot that was in this episode, classic middle episode issues. Point B is always difficult.

My only problem with the episode is exactly the same as the problem I had in the Lazarus experiment - aging young actors with makeup never works and consistently makes me laugh.

I get the feeling in this series that we've had far too many incidents of this and it just ruins every episode I see, Lazarus, Family of Blood, and now this.

Nevertheless, nevertheless, nevertheless, frankly I LOVED IT. LOVED. IT.

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 02:59 PM EDT
    Does anybody else think that Lucy Saxon doesn't seem human? I mean, I realize the Torchwood lady supposedly did her homework - but let's just say, I wouldn't be surprised to find out she's an alien!

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 03:27 PM EDT
    I would be surprised if she didn't turn out to be alien,she seems too keen on watching the Earths downfail.

I am still holding out for the Rani but I think that would be too bizzare

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 03:40 PM EDT
    Although this whole episodes was a smörgåsbord all over the place I really didn't care, dare-I-say I loved it. Something I rarely say about individual episodes even though I love Doctor Who as a whole.

I guess I am a bit of a gush when it comes to "fan-wank" or whatever you want to call it. I loved glimpsing the old time lord costumes, etc, etc. That "Untempered Schism" thingy the Master gazed into to see the vortex, whatever it was called, was a little too Stargate looking for me or like "The Guardian of Forever" from the Classic Trek episode, "City on the Edge of Forever," But I'm not really complaining, a tiny beef.

Also, I must say, even though I don't think it is them in any way, the very first time I saw a glimpse of those sperical metal baddies in the teaser for this episode, the first thing that came to my mind was old pictures I had seen of the Mechanoids from "The Chase". I was half expecting the Master to call them that even though it would probably make zero sense.

I'm sure I'll have much more to say about this episode later, but for now I have to leave soon. But I will leave with this. Compared to the 1 parter's of the 2 previous season finales, I am, by far, most engaged by this one and greatly anticipate the 2nd part. Although it's a little hard to say since this one is soooo fresh. Back when I first saw "Army of Ghosts" I thought it was the most intense set up ever. I probably need to let it all sink in now.

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 06:45 PM EDT

Now, did anyone notice what was behind John Simm in the Cabinet scene? Anyone?

There was a fireplace. And on said fireplace were models of columns. I wonder if this could be significant! And the left side of the fireplace seems to have vines or something on it. A newly rebuilt office with a dirty fireplace, hmmmm.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 09:21 PM EDT
    I'm really bugged by the performance of and titile for the US leader in this episode. Not only is President Winters a flat actor, but again what the hell is the President-Elect doing operating as if he's President? Fine, his presence is covered by the fact that he's there under the aegis of the UN, but it's just flatly ridiculous on so many levels, not the least of which is that it's not winter—the only time of year that a President-Elect exists.

It might be a really small point in the overall plot, but I don't understand how such an obvious error could be made. Don't the majority of Britons want Bush gone? Don't they have some rough idea when and how that might occur? While I was glad to see the UN being firmly put back into UNIT, I'm just gobsmacked by this almost frightening lack of understanding of American politics.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 09:53 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] I'm really bugged by the performance of and titile for the US leader in this episode. Not only is President Winters a flat actor, but again what the hell is the President-Elect doing operating as if he's President? Fine, his presence is covered by the fact that he's there under the aegis of the UN, but it's just flatly ridiculous on so many levels, not the least of which is that it's not winter—the only time of year that a President-Elect exists.

It might be a really small point in the overall plot, but I don't understand how such an obvious error could be made. Don't the majority of Britons want Bush gone? Don't they have some rough idea when and how that might occur? While I was glad to see the UN being firmly put back into UNIT, I'm just gobsmacked by this almost frightening lack of understanding of American politics.

I don't think that there is much misunderstanding of American politics just as the British don't misunderstand the litigious nature of American society.

Actually the guy reminded me a lot of Bush (which is what I think was intended) who takes command without the first clue about what is happening and ends up as cannon fodder or (as I have heard in some circles) a "red shirt."

I think we have to remember that this is fantasy. Yes that is a deliberately poor portrayal of the pres just as aliens don't invade the earth twice a year.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 10:36 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] I'm really bugged by the performance of and titile for the US leader in this episode. Not only is President Winters a flat actor, but again what the hell is the President-Elect doing operating as if he's President? Fine, his presence is covered by the fact that he's there under the aegis of the UN, but it's just flatly ridiculous on so many levels, not the least of which is that it's not winter—the only time of year that a President-Elect exists.

I picked up on the inconsistencies pertaining to Winters myself, but wrote them off to that fact that Winters was probably the acting US Ambassador to the UN, before he became president elect, and was still acting in that capacity during this episode.

Can't really explain the whole seasonal inconsistency, unless Britain is just having a balmy winter. LOL!

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Sunday, June 24 2007 @ 11:03 PM EDT
    Just finished watching. I'll read the posts and answer in detail tomorrow, but off the top of my head...I didn't like it as much as the last two eps. Probably only give it a 4 out of 5.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored