The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The 11th Doctor
    The 11th Doctor
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Speculation: Toclafane
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Speculation: Toclafane Views: 6120
     Tuesday, June 26 2007 @ 08:01 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]At this point, it's truly got to be one or the other, I think. The "future humans" angle from the rocketship in Utopia makes a lot of sense from one vantage point that ties up that loose end, and yet so does the resurrection of the Time Lords, ala "the children who ran away," as mentioned in the Gallifrey flashback last week.

As you mentioned, it could go either way. The only other thing that could indicate it's the latter is the final episode title. I'll white it out in case anyone has been avoiding ep titles as spoilery.

Begin ==>
    The final title is The Last of the Time Lords. This could be referring to either the Doctor, the Master or both. Or it could also be referring to the long lost last of the Time Lords, either the children who ran away as you suggest or Time Lords from an alternate universe. The only reason I mention the alternate universe is the Paradox Machine and the tear in space they come out of. <== End

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 26 2007 @ 09:15 AM EDT
    Not only would revealing them to be the humans from "Utopia" tie up a plot hole, but it would also make a lot of sense of the Master's comment to the Doctor that the secret will "break your heart": he knows well the Doctor's love of humanity, and to see the last humans reduced to tin cans serving the Master would definitely cut right to the Doctor's heart.

The problem for me with the theory that the Toclafane are Timelords is that the Master genuinely seems shocked to discover in this episode that Gallifrey & the Timelords were wiped out in the Time War. That doesn't sit well with him already being well progressed in a scheme involving contact with their disembodied minds/souls...

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, June 26 2007 @ 09:18 AM EDT
    ps Linquel, I miss your old photo... Frown

Tuesday, June 26 2007 @ 09:55 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]Begin ==>
    The final title is The Last of the Time Lords. This could be referring to either the Doctor, the Master or both. Or it could also be referring to the long lost last of the Time Lords, either the children who ran away as you suggest or Time Lords from an alternate universe. The only reason I mention the alternate universe is the Paradox Machine and the tear in space they come out of. <== End
    I agree and think this is a definite possibility. I'm not going to bother whiting out my whole response...the title of the final episode is featured prominently on the main page of this site, so 99% of people probably know it anyway and shouldn't be reading here. So skip the rest if you don't know the title...

...you've been warned.

I mentioned in the Utopia thread that when the Face of Boe said that The Doctor was not alone, he didn't simply say that there is just 1 other (i.e. The Master). Saying that The Doctor is "not alone" leaves open the possibility that there are many other Time Lords still out there as well. When I now re-read the title of the final episode, "The Last of the Time Lords", I think the same could also apply here. I think most of us when we first heard the title, probably assumed that TLotTL is The Doctor, as that is how he's referred to himself throughout all of the new series. But it could also be referring to a larger group. The "Last" of the Time Lords could also be a group hidden on Utopia, waiting for the right moment to re-appear.

What does this have to do with the Toclafane? I don't know. But I hope they're not mini-Time Lords or humans. They don't seem to be under the direct control of The Master. They seem to want to make their move ASAP, but The Master tells them they'll have to hold off until 8:02am. Seems to me that if he controlled them, they wouldn't have even bothered to ask. While he does control the means of getting them through to Earth, via the Paradox Machine, I don't necessarily believe that he has any control over their actions. Along with this, if they were mini-Time Lords or humans, I don't they'd be malevelont to other races as they were in this week's episode.

Only a few more days, then we'll know for sure.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 03:54 AM EDT
    One problem with them being the humans from Utopia, if I remember correctly the Master mentions that there are six billion Toclafane and there were maybe a few thousand humans in Utopia. For a totally random guess, what of they were the humans from the dimension Rose is in. The Master arrived on earth since sometime before Love and Monsters, maybe his paradox machine created the dimensional hole that the Tardis fell through last season. The Doctor thinks Rose is safe in another universe, but the Master has caused that universe to collapse or at least destroyed the Earth. Something like that would cause the Doctor's hearts to break.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 04:30 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Joshuam] One problem with them being the humans from Utopia, if I remember correctly the Master mentions that there are six billion Toclafane and there were maybe a few thousand humans in Utopia. For a totally random guess, what of they were the humans from the dimension Rose is in. The Master arrived on earth since sometime before Love and Monsters, maybe his paradox machine created the dimensional hole that the Tardis fell through last season. The Doctor thinks Rose is safe in another universe, but the Master has caused that universe to collapse or at least destroyed the Earth. Something like that would cause the Doctor's hearts to break.

An interesting idea but we don't know how many humans made it to Utopia over the years, we don't even know how many humans were at the base while the Doctor, Martha and Jack were there let alone how many humans made it to Utopia from other planets ( or if any made it at all ).

I was thinking the Toclafane might be timelords, especially with the Master's referance to a new Gallifreyan empire but if they are the humans from Utopia and the only way to stop them was to destroy them making the Doctor the destroyer of the last humans sure would be an interesting twist given his affection for the human race.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 05:34 AM EDT
    perhaps the Toclafane are the cousins of the Tralfamadore who took Billy Pilgrim away in Slaughterhouse 5... Big Grin

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 10:24 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    The anagram that I think will mean the most in the finale is:

A LONE FACT

Though other candidates can be

A FOCAL NET
    AN OLE FACT
    ACT OF ELAN

Well, there will definately be the last one, but will that be the hidden meaning in Toclafane, or is there something completely different.

OK, so it was a lone word, though that can be thought of as a fact. And it used a "focal net".

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored