The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    12" Tenth Doctor Action Figure
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 13 'Last of the Time Lords'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 13 'Last of the Time Lords' Views: 16020
     Wednesday, July 04 2007 @ 01:54 AM EDT
    i haven't seen it yet but i at least want to know

[spoiler]
    **do they make the masters comeback believable? i mean does it make sense?**

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 04 2007 @ 01:45 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Times Online | Articles of Faith | Is there some subversive Christian working behind the scenes at Dr Who?

Thanks for posting that. I'd say the only thing I haven't liked about the new series and Torchwood are the occasional C.S.Lewis-style bits thrown in there.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, July 05 2007 @ 09:10 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  shirokuro]If Jack is Boe, then don't you think he would have come up with some better way to warn the Doctor than Y.A.N.A ?? Maybe he realised he had no choice, since he had already experienced those events when he was Jack 5 billion years earlier. (WOW! What a memory he mmust have! Actually maybe that's why he evolved into a huge head and the whole tank thing - where oh where to store 5 billion years of memories!!) And this brings up another thing - it's one hell of a coincidence that the Professor's name matches the initials You Are Not Alone??? And even if the Master chose that name himself - he didnt know that the Doctor would be the sole survivor of the Time War to start wondering "am I alone or not..."
    It does make you wonder if Jack/The Face of Boe really had definite knowledge that The Doctor was not "alone" when he told him so in Gridlock, or if he only chose those words because of what Martha said he told them in Utopia, as Yana opened his watch? Would've been cool to see more of a reaction from Jack when Martha brought up The Face of Boe, as I don't think Jack had ever heard anyone mention that name before, other than when he first became a time agent from that story he told The Doctor and Martha.

btw - How about a new name for when we refer to the connection between them now...The Face of Jack? Captain Boe? Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, July 05 2007 @ 11:03 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Dr. Hoo]
    Just rewatch the end of The Christmas Invaision for all you need on the satsuma solution.

[smacking myself on the forehead]

Duh. Thanks.

CI

"There's room for one more..."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 07 2007 @ 11:32 PM EDT
    Ok, so it's a week late, but I've been on Vacation, and have just now caught "The Last Time Lord" and I have a few things to say, some of it may already have been said, I didn't read all 10 pages before deciding to post:

1) Face of Bo. Awesome!
    2) Cosmic Reset Button - Ick.
    3) Martha - wow.
    4) The Utopia humans - nice touch!
    5) Hey, didn't the Doctor remember his problems with the Master when he was Sylvester McCoy? How can he possibly just burn the body and walk away??? This is the guy who regenerated after being executed by the Daleks. Uh... not so smart
    6) Cloudbase anyone? Talk about your Captain Scarlet Rip-off!
    7) Cosmic Reset Button???? OH GOD PLEASE!!!! Anything else would have been better
    8) Didn't the Doctor already visit the Titanic, or at least we saw Daleks aboard... or was that the Lucitania?
    9) Martha is smarter than Sarah Jane Smith. She gets it early. SJ never did, apparently.
    10) Wow.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Saturday, July 07 2007 @ 11:54 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]

1) Face of Bo. Awesome!

I guess the pay back for Jack keeping the Doctor's Hand pickled in a jar is that he has to keep his head pickled in a jar.

Though one could argue he ends up with a fate similar to the humans who became Toclofane.

Actually, seeing as the Doctor's body withered away as he grew old, it seems a fate that befall all species as they become ancient.

BTW what species is Jack? Human? I guess we know he's not from Earth.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 08 2007 @ 12:54 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] BTW what species is Jack? Human? I guess we know he's not from Earth.

Well I always assumed that Jack was human, other than that all we know is that he was a former time agent ( whoever they are ), I certainly don't recall them saying he wasn't from earth.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 11 2007 @ 06:52 AM EDT
    Must admit I felt a little let down by this one in parts. The portrayal of the Master was not quite right. He did not seem in character. The realisation of his cruelty was too graphic for me and was not in fitting with the show. Others have felt the same. Captain Jack was not used enough and was somewhat wasted in this respect. The supernatural solution was also troubling for myself a fan for whom such things in the real world are most unbelievable and normally the result of fraudulent actions by fakes. For me the last episode was a disappointment, especially coming off such brilliant stories as Human Nature, Blink and Utopia. However, I did enjoy the sequence with the Master as a child in the Sound of Drums. Now that was really well done. Something like that in The Five Doctors would have gone down a treat!

I've included some comments below from a friend in Melbourne, Australia.

How did I find this story? Without trying to sound like Ian Levine, it was
    absolute total and utter cr*p from start to finish.

The story lost me from the moment the "one year later" caption appeared on
    the screen. I refuse to believe that the Dr and Captain Jack could stay
    incarcerated for an entire year while the world suffers. They were hardly
    in the story. Instead, we had an extremely old (and not convincing)
    Doctor, who was eventually replaced by a ridiculous CGI figure. As for the
    master - I don't know who that clown was on screen, but he was not the
    Master. Does this guy know the difference between evil and plain
    mischievious? The tie-in with the story Utopia was awful. The Paradox
    Machine was a stupid idea like something from a comic book. The Master's
    death was heavy-handed and dripping with melodrama. (They brought him back,
    just for this???? Come on, regenerate...) And, to top it all off, we had
    this absolutely ridiculous finale where everyone in the world says the
    Doctor's name, and he is instantly restored to normal via the satellite
    network. This is like something from British panto. Then of course the
    Doctor flings everything back one year in time and all is well again (just
    like the recut of Superman II). I know RTD loves his "magic reset button"
    endings, but this was utterly dreadful even by his standards. Makes the
    ending to season 1 seem quite decent in comparison. What I cannot
    understand is that previous episode The Sound of Drums was slightly
    disapponting, but still a highly enjoyable episode. This episode reminded
    me of episode 14 of Trial of a Timelord.

I thought the new companion was okay at the start, but by the middle of the
    season she was starting to get on my nerves. It was mainly the "unrequited
    love" angle. Okay we had a decent angle for Rose, but this was again too
    heavy handed. I have heard that all was not well behind the scenes between
    David Tennant and Freema Agyeman, and he demanded she be taken off the
    programme. Some of my friends were so disheartened by the season's
    conclusion that they are seriously considering to stop watching the new
    series. In one short year, RTD has become the new JNT.

Okay, there was one - and only one - redeeming aspect of the last episode.
    I thought the actress playing the Master's wife was quite cute, even though
    she had hardly any lines :-)

There are probably other things about Last of the Timelords that I hated,
    but I can't remember what they are. In fact, I hated this episode so much,
    it has started me collecting those Hartnell/Troughton audio CD's put out by
    the BBC. I hug my copy of Power of the Daleks like a security blanket.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 11 2007 @ 07:47 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Latimer]I have heard that all was not well behind the scenes between David Tennant and Freema Agyeman, and he demanded she be taken off the programme.

I wish I knew where Latimer's friend heard this bit. Has anyone else heard anything similar?

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 11 2007 @ 08:10 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Latimer] Makes the
    ending to season 1 seem quite decent in comparison.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only person who was extremely dissapointed by the cop out at the end of parting of the ways. How do we get out of the impossible corner we've painted the Doctor into? Pull a satsuma out of the Vortex!

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 11 2007 @ 08:36 AM EDT
    I enjoyed it. I especially liked the way teh eplot unfolded.

(slight spoilers beware!)

I think the biggest "problem" I have with it relates to the handling of the Doctor/Master dynamic. I thought John Simm was great, really playing up the notion of playing the character as an opposite of the current Doctor he's facing. John Simm's youthfull off-the-wall nature (with a deadly serious underpinning) fitted Tennant's Doctor to a tee IMO.

However, strangely, he becomes this type of Master in precisely a story where Tennant becomes so ponderously earnest, old and serious. So there isn't really an interesting dynamic between the two.

Personally I'd have preferred it if it was the youthful Doctor who had teleported to Earth at the moment of the Master's triumph and had had to spend the time crossing the planet. It would have given Tennant more scenes to play an obviously similar yet so different character to the Mad Man now in charge of the planet.

I can sort of understand why Martha got the job as part of a fitting (albeit temporary) send-off but I think it cost the episode an interesting dimension that in hindsight I think I would have preferred.

(if any of that makes sense!)

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 11 2007 @ 10:18 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]
    [Quote  by:  Latimer] Makes the
    ending to season 1 seem quite decent in comparison.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only person who was extremely dissapointed by the cop out at the end of parting of the ways. How do we get out of the impossible corner we've painted the Doctor into? Pull a satsuma out of the Vortex!

Well, blame the guys at DWM for the ending. The Eighth Doctor comic The Flood has a similar ending. So there is nothing original here...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, July 11 2007 @ 11:28 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Well, blame the guys at DWM for the ending. The Eighth Doctor comic The Flood has a similar ending. So there is nothing original here...

I thought RTD mantra was to take the "Best" of the Doctor material produced during its absence from the TV, not just the "convenient".

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, July 12 2007 @ 08:16 PM EDT
    Hi there.

I've had many conflicting thoughts about the three part season finale that I'm still trying to work out, but there is one thing that I want to respond to that keeps coming up on the forums and that is some people's criticism to the portrayal of The Master.

The criticism generally falls into the "he's not like the old Master". Well, I feel that there is a very good reason for this. When Derek Jacobi turns into John Simm this is actually the first time The Master has ever regenerated on the show.

The Master was first portrayed by Roger Delgado. It was stated that this incarnation was The Master's thirteenth life. When The Master reappears in The Deadly Assassin that is still the Roger Delgado incarnation of The Master, even though he is horribly burned and no longer able to regenerate. When The Master takes over the body of Tremas in The Keeper of Traken that is still the Roger Delgado incarnation of The Master, even though he is now portrayed by Anthony Ainley. In the TV Movie The Master is destroyed by the Daleks and his remains make their way into Bruce the EMS worker's body. This is still the Roger Delgado incarnation of The Master, even though he is portrayed by Eric Roberts.

At some point between the TV Movie and Utopia the Time Lords resurrect The Master and he flees the Time War using the Chameleon Arch. It is possible that this resurrected version of The Master is still the Roger Delgado incarnation, but there is no way to be certain. This resurrected version is portrayed by Derek Jacobi. When the resurrected version of The Master portrayed by Derek Jacobi is mortally wounded he regenerates into the John Simm incarnation of The Master.

It is very likely that this regeneration is the first regeneration of the Roger Delgado incarnation of The Master into a new incarnation even though several other actors have played the role of The Master prior to John Simm.

As we have seen with The Doctor, each regeneration creates a personality that is quite different than the previous incarnation even though the character is technically the same. It is for this reason that I have no problems with the portrayal of The Master by John Simm because it is the equivalent of William Hartnell regenerating into Patrick Troughton. The character was the same, but the portrayal of the character was vastly different.

Okay, those are my thoughts on the portrayal of The Master as revealed in the three part season finale of Series 3.

Talk to you later.

-Derek

Friday, July 13 2007 @ 04:24 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DerekInLA] When The Master reappears in The Deadly Assassin that is still the Roger Delgado incarnation of The Master, even though he is horribly burned and no longer able to regenerate.

I agree that it probably is that incarnation of the Master but is it ever actually explicitly stated that that is the case? It could be the John Simm Master whose body was burned on a funeral pyre at the end of the episode. I'm sure the Master would have no compunctions about crossing his own timestreams yadda-yadda-yadda.
    Taras? Anything in the canon?
    BTW I don't actually believe this is the case, I agree with Derek, but it's a possibility...

Bollocks...sir.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed