The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'The Caretaker' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 28th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 311 - 'Time Heist' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The remains of the Original K9
    The remains of the Original K9
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 13 'Last of the Time Lords'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 13 'Last of the Time Lords' Views: 15937
     Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 04:35 PM EDT
    We've not seen the last of Martha - that much was made very clear at the end of the episode. They don't tend to make throw-away comments in this new Doctor Who.

What her departure does very nicely is allow her to return to the role well and truly out of the shadow of Rose and (hopefully) without all that 'unrequited love' baggage we're had during this season.

3.5 out of 5 for me. A good solid episode with plenty of new material but I knew there was always going to be an element of "it never happened" once they'd mentioned that the TARDIS was now a paradox machine. The fact that her parents still remembered it all was a good twist though and frees them up to do other things as well (except for her brother, of course, who won't remember any of it except for the fact that he was told to hide - hmm, wonder if they ever found him).

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 04:47 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] We've not seen the last of Martha - that much was made very clear at the end of the episode. They don't tend to make throw-away comments in this new Doctor Who.

3.5 out of 5 for me.

(except for her brother, of course, who won't remember any of it except for the fact that he was told to hide - hmm, wonder if they ever found him).

I'm quite happy for her to 'quest star' in later episdoes.

3.5 out of 5 - well we all have the right to make our call - but in the words of John McEnroe (I'm watching Wimbledon - mostly in the rain) -
    'You cannot be Serious!'

And as to the brother - he did seem a bit left out.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 05:01 PM EDT
    Wow what an episode. So a definite escape for The Master there. Burnt at the end of the Universe just where he parked his Tardis. We finally find out how The Face Of Boe knew the Doctor.

Its a definite watch again but with the other 2 episodes.

Looking forward to Christmas. The countdown begins.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 05:03 PM EDT
    Forgot to add in my earlier posts - I'm in love:-

EDIT - Me fickle? Sally who?

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 05:57 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] 3.5 out of 5 - well we all have the right to make our call - but in the words of John McEnroe (I'm watching Wimbledon - mostly in the rain) -
    'You cannot be Serious!'

Absolutely I can. It was a good episode - better than average but I wasn't as engaged as I was with last season's finale. It did very well for trying new things (which I'm always a fan of, even if they don't always work and they really pushed the boat out this year) but I didn't feel as involved as I did with last year's plus - as I said - I'd already guessed it was going to be one of those "everything goes back to just how it was before" episodes (a bit like Star Trek does). It was the only reason for the TARDIS to be used in the way it was.

Don't get me wrong - I liked it and I'll watch it again but I'm not going to give it 5/5 just because it's a season finale. I just don't think it deserved that mark.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 06:02 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch]
    Don't get me wrong - I liked it and I'll watch it again but I'm not going to give it 5/5 just because it's a season finale. I just don't think it deserved that mark.

Oh I agree with that - but there's a big jump between 3.5 and 5.

Perhaps on a second viewing it will reach a 4!

Perhaps it is another case of - the number of spoilers read - the less the enjoyment?

Cheers, daveac

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 06:34 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Oh I agree with that - but there's a big jump between 3.5 and 5.

Perhaps on a second viewing it will reach a 4!

Perhaps it is another case of - the number of spoilers read - the less the enjoyment?

Actually, no. I'd pretty much steered clear of the spoilers this year (with the exception of the John Simm/Master one) so I didn't really know how it was going to resolve itself. Opening with "One Year Later" was a nice touch but again I was waiting for the roll-back using the paradox TARDIS - a la Star Trek Voyager (The Year of Hell) - so I knew that it was all going to be alright in the end. The problem this gives you is that it's a bit like the "Bobby in the shower" scene in Dallas - it kind of disinherits all that you've watched up until this point. I also didn't really like Simm's portrayal of the Master very much, which is a pity because I know he's a bloody good actor but Harry Lloyd beat the pants off him this season - which is also ironic given the dire part he was lumbered with in 'Robin Hood'.

And 3.5 to 5 is only 1.5 so not that big really. It would equate to a 7/10. It might go up to an 8 on second viewing but I'm just going by how it grabbed me at the moment. Human Nature/The Family of Blood and Blink were much better stories and saying that this one was as good as them....? Well, that just wouldn't feel right to me. I'd put it behind them.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 06:41 PM EDT

Not many comments yet - the luggage handlers on the Red Eye fights must be on a go slow.

Come-on people - we want feedback!

Cheers, daveac

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 08:37 PM EDT
    I'm not sure how I felt about this episode:

The good:
    • Superb acting from everyone
    • Toclafane reveal (I so knew it)
    • Classic references
    • Doctor/Master confrontations
    • Martha's exit
    • Thinking the Doctor was down and out but then realizing he was on top of it the whole time.
    • Utterly cliche "gun in four parts" being dangled in front of us then tossed out the window
    • Return of the Jedi funeral

The bad:
    • Power of words
    • Leo left out
    • Too little Lucy
    • Cosmic reset (UGH!)
    • TARDIS fixed too easily

Not sure:
    • Face of Boe
    • Martha leaving
    • Titanic
    • Master's death and possible survival

I suppose I'll decide after a couple more viewings. The lowest I'll go is 3, and the highest I'll go is.... probably 4.8, I suppose.

tawm.net: read it. (please?)

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 08:46 PM EDT
    My son wants to make a hand in a bubbing small aquarium thingy.

http://members.cox.net/rengobnor/ ..... Yahoo messenger -- rengob_nor

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 09:23 PM EDT

Huh? What... What happened?

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 09:50 PM EDT
    Well just finished watching the episode, as the "red eye" hit stormy weather today and landed late.

I was completely underwhelmed by the Main story, I thought the Doctor being saved by all the Human's thinking about him together didn't even rise to Satsuma level. Breaking a telepathic signal doesn't make you younger or give you superhero powers. (If everyone thinking about someone had that kind of effect, Paris Hilton would have been able to get out of jail without having to be ill).

Plus Martha must have got about a bit, to meet everyone in the worldin a year - even with seven levels of removal. Even more amazingly everyone knew what to do, yet no one had reported it to the Master - This is the human race we're talking about isn't it?

I did like the epilogue (sp?) stuff.
    Lucy pulled, through as you knew she would (replacement assistant material - I bet she can scream and ask the Doctor what's happening very effectively).
    Jack is the Face of Boe (Thats inspired).
    The Master will survive a la Ming the Merciless at the end of "Flash". Though the Master appears to have had a Jedi Knight Funeral. So he could also come back as a glowing ghost to people with high levels of metachlorines in their blood.
    Martha's out (or at least for the Christmas Story) leaving space for Lucy.

BTW I took it that the TARDIS re-arranged itself and put a back-up console room behind the doors. It should be able to repair itself almost instantaneously to the casual observer, as it can move into some other period of time to repair itself then reappear a second or too after it disappeared - It is a time machine isn't it?

As for this season, for my part other than three strong episodes (Blink, The Lazarus Project and Human Nature). I thought it was uniformly poorer than anything since Mr McCoy manned the TARDIS.

Yes, the production values were universally high, but the script/story were poor (either generic seen-it-before stuff or just outright weak).

Perhaps, an iconic monster should have been brought back in addition to the Master to bolster up the season. Ice Warriors, Sontarans, Yeti, Zygons, Sea Devils/Silurians or the Movellans would have done nicely. A little nostalga involving ex-UNIT memebers such as the Brigadier, Sgt Benton, Capt. Yates and Winifred Bambera

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 10:22 PM EDT
    It was a very easy resolution to the story. They painted themselves into very tight corner and then just walked away without most Earth being the wiser.

I do suspect the Master survived. In the past, he has used an energy source to transfer himself to a new body and he was tied into the same psychic network as the Doctor and could have transferred himself to Lucy. Lucy seemed like she was drugged or drunk this episode. He may have had her prepared as a means of escape in case he needed it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 10:24 PM EDT
    Ok so after that ending all I can say is 'WOW'. Ok so we didnt buy the whole power of words thing, but still it resonated on some level.

I did love the little homages to Jedi and Flash Gordon at the end of the ep. And if you notice it was a lady's fingers that picked up the ring....Lucy having shades of Stockholm Syndrome or perhaps the tipoff to the return of another old Doctor nemesis of the female variety....can we say Rani anyone?

As for Martha departing....we had to have some mystery for next year right? I think she will be back full swing in the Tardis following the Doctor's Voyage of the Damned in December.

Jack is the Face of Boe....well now it makes you want to go back to the credits where Bo appeared and check out the voice actor to see if he was legit or Barrowman under an assumed name.

Lucy as a companion....was her last name Miller by chance...dont know about that one. I really dont see any indication to go that way...I would see Sally better as a future companion than Lucy. At least she has had some interaction with the Doctor. Lucy just shot the Master dead and was basically an eye candy puppet (although Sally IMHO is much better looking).

Finally, I know on Podshock, I have heard about the running themes through the new Who...mostly the one about the Doctor being 'a god'. Well here is one that I rarely hear about and that is 'History repeats itself'.

In going back it seems that there have been specific scenes in different episodes that are throwbacks to scenes from previous ones....episodes seem to slightly mirror each other through the seasons as if the Doctor is caught in his own temporal loop. I mean the last scene of LOTTL exactly mirrored last years last scene...the Torchwood agent interviewing Lucy Saxon....does she suspiciously remind you of Harriet Jones?? This plus a few other instances where I think RTD is trying to make that point that history repeats itself no matter what....an interesting topic for debate. I mean I dont think the writing on Who is that poor that this is such a coincidence.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 11:08 PM EDT
    No time to read through the thread right now, but I had to give a quick shout-out to whomever it was that jokingly said Captain Jack was the Face of Bo. I cracked up when they did that. I liked the episode. I predict Martha left just to free up the Doctor for the Christmas episode (don't get me started on the Titanic crashing into the TARDIS), but will be phoning the Doctor on the mobile in the first episode of Series 4. Since I was able to watch the ep on Saturday night for a switch, I may get to sit in on the Talk Shoe recording tomorrow. Big Grin

-L

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored