The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Rocko at OmegaCon Birmingham 2008
    Rocko at OmegaCon Birmingham 2008
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 13 'Last of the Time Lords'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 13 'Last of the Time Lords' Views: 15902
     Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 11:26 PM EDT
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

As I said in a previous post this looks like it was all written before they knew whether there would be another series.

Everything looked like they were tidying up loose ends just in case.

Needless to say the Master will be back in the guse of whoever picked up his ring.

Explanation for why the the Doctor always said to FOB "Hello old friend." and Martha ends as companion or not......

The winding back of time was a bit like the shower scene from Dallas.

Forget the shooty dog thing!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 11:33 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf]The winding back of time was a bit like the shower scene from Dallas.

I was thinking more like Superman, the movie. Sort of like how Human Nature seemed a bit like Superman 2. And when the Master told Martha to kneel... a bit Zod, don't you think?

Now all we need is someone like Superman: a hero who's the last son of a destroyed planet who operates under an alias and is often seen emerging from a phone box. But there's nobody like that in Doctor Who, is there?

tawm.net: read it. (please?)

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 11:41 PM EDT

Geez, I feel like I've been pulled through a Spielbergian wringer with this episode. What an emotional rollercoaster! My heart (and tear ducts) performed right on cue. Unfortunately, the plot didn't engage my brain enough to be able to overlook the "power of words" thing. Ugh.

I agree with whoever said up above that it might have been written as a loose-end-tier-upper before the fate of season four was known. The scene of the hand picking up the ring out of the ashes of the Master's pyre had a tacked-on quality to me.

As for a groan rating: it was four and a half for the set of three episodes, but Jack as the Face of Boe bumped it up to a full 5 out of 5. Laughing Out Loud

If my Significant Sweetie isn't hogging the computer tomorrow, I'll try to make the live podcast.

CI

"There's room for one more..."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 12:03 AM EDT

The Doctor being called Gandalf by the Master, then ending up looking like Gollum? Lucy Saxon going from our dancing queen to the blanc beauty in red? Toclafane=Fool the Fan(s) excelent call to whoever translated that first, on whichever thread or forum I remember seeing it before this Oops! .

Overall, twas Ok but not what we have come to expect from a series finale (IMHO). As to the ending, Linquel
    took the words right out of my mouth. I got a good giggle out of the initial joke (which was obvious even before the reveal of the Life Persever) but it is just wrong on so many levels.

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 02:03 AM EDT
    5/5 Fantastic! and that's all I gotta say about that......must sleep now, goodnight! Big Grin

......oh and one more thing.....The Doctor is sexy again(hums "Sexy Back" by Justin Timberlake...WHEEEE!

(I told you all I need sleep..... Mr. Green )

"WOT?...WOT?" "WOT??????!!!!!" OUT!OUT!OUT!

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 02:36 AM EDT
    Ok, first of all I have to say that was an AMAZING episode.

Let me qualify that by saying that it WASN'T a perfect episode.

I felt the first 20 minutes or so dragged. And I too, had a problem with the fact that Martha was able to spread the story of the Doctor in just one year.

But, I actually LIKED the "power of words" thing and here's why. In a great many sci-fi/fantasy show and movies it seems that writers and producers are always coming up with a quasi-logical or scientific reason for actions in most stories. But it was just nice for once to take something on faith. Positive psychic energy that not only reversed The Doctor's age, but also gave him just a little bit of Messianic power as well. Didn't have a problem with that. Gave me chills in fact (although it would be hard for me to swallow more than once).

Also, I can't think of one episode of Doctor Who that I didn't think that everything would turn out fine in the end. That's why I didn't have a problem with the whole time reseting part. The episode was so engaging that rather than asking "WILL they ever get out of this?" your asking "HOW will they ever get out of this?". Our heroes still had to resolve the situation BEFORE everything could reset to normal.

Oh, and funeral pyres have been used by Vikings and Hindus long before Return of the Jedi, yet that scene is so ingrained in our pop culture psyche that it's the first thing we associate with them.

Future humans on there way to Utopia two episodes ago end up being the Toclafane, predictable but cool none the less.

Jack IS the Face of Boe? The most brilliant thing about this episode!

Oh and the woman's hand who picked up the ring at the end of the episode...not Lucy, but....ready for this? Kylie Minogue...heh, heh?

Glenn a.k.a. "The 11th Doctor"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 02:38 AM EDT
    i would also add that part of the disapointment of the finale is the fact that the series is over for another year! i have felt way more involved in it this year, and enjoyed it more than any other. especially after watching doomsday again today, which i still think totally sucks (sorry).

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 03:03 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]
    As to the ending, Linquel
    took the words right out of my mouth. I got a good giggle out of the initial joke (which was obvious even before the reveal of the Life Persever) but it is just wrong on so many levels.

Cheers,
    Mike M.

OF COURSE! I completly overlooked the whole thing, I suppose i was in some sort of episode hangover/come down so i missed a few touches at the end.
    Such as the whole Iceberg reference (I hope the Huon particles dont make a reapperance!), the Flash Gordon ring thing being picked up by a female (hopefully a future inclusion of a certain female Timelord that was hinted at earlier in the year)
    And of course the amazing Face of Boe arc tied up in one easy line. (And it's easy to see why he's not only so famous throughout time and space, but also why he had so many children, although I'm not too sure how CJ becomes preggers!)

Liked the story but didn't love it, it DID seem hashed and a bit forced in places, but generally worked, 4/5 for the episode and 5/5 for the series. It started a bit slow, but with promise, and didnt dissappoint!

(And yes daveac, Lucy Saxon was a bit Oops! in that evening dress, not too sure I agree with the shiner thing tho it was a bit underplayed for the ultimate climax, but nevertheless she remained as eye candy throughout the episode. It's a shame the hot ones always go for the weirdo's! ) Laughing Out Loud

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 03:35 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tardisious] My son wants to make a hand in a bubbing small aquarium thingy.

That's gross! Twisted Evil But I can't say I didnt laugh! Smile Smile

[Quote  by:  Linquel] (don't get me started on the Titanic crashing into the TARDIS)

No, I think we should.....

(It's got Christmas Day episode written all over it!)

[Quote  by:  The 11th Doctor] I felt the first 20 minutes or so dragged. And I too, had a problem with the fact that Martha was able to spread the story of the Doctor in just one year.

[Quote  by:  daveac]
    Well - apart from the first few minutes - I thought it was Excellent!

It's funny, because though I said I wasn't sure about the 1st 40 minutes (the final 5 inspirational minutes were what truly did it for me), having just watched it again, I really liked the opening 5 or so minutes.

The Master's song, that begins with his dancing in and kissing the very very kissable Mrs Saxon, spitting coffee out, ringing his bell and then running around with The Doctor in a wheelchair was just wonderful.

[Quote  by:  The 11th Doctor]

Also, I can't think of one episode of Doctor Who that I didn't think that everything would turn out fine in the end. That's why I didn't have a problem with the whole time reseting part. The episode was so engaging that rather than asking "WILL they ever get out of this?" your asking "HOW will they ever get out of this?". Our heroes still had to resolve the situation BEFORE everything could reset to normal.

Yes, I think that's very true. It was (forgive me) a paradox that even though it did drag a little, it was never not tense. I was actually wondering towards the middle if we were heading towards a series ending cliffhanger.....

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 03:37 AM EDT
    I reckon Lucy shooting the Master was pre-arranged as a get out if anything went wrong. I can see RTD ona confidential in the next season explaining the whole thing away with a casual shrug and a big cheesey grin.

Also, please no Rani! IMHO she belongs to a part of the show which just isn't there any more like brining back the candyman or the lords of ragnarok.

Finally, does this mean we can have Sally Sparrow as an assistant now?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 03:42 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DaveO]

Finally, does this mean we can have Sally Sparrow as an assistant now?

You're not the only Dave who's been beating that drum!

But as of last night, the scoundrel seems to have changed his allegiance!! & this is after (only this week) he was going on about a night out with Tish!!

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 04:39 AM EDT
    I think that Tish et al now have a limited shelf life. I mean Leo only got a cameo last week, like they'd forgotten he'd been created.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 04:54 AM EDT
    Hmmm.

Well, at the start of this episode I got quite excited. Last week didn't totally do it for me - I felt short-changed by "Sound of Drums" cutting its connection with "Utopia" so quickly - and so when we started this week with the "one year later" jump, it seemed a great idea to me as it set a particular tone for the "trilogy" which justified the previous week: what we were watching now actually seemed to be 3 episodes that in a way were stepping stones across a pond rather than a continuous path, and all would be joined together by the end. And that more or less happened.

But the problem for me was the episode was almost entirely exposition, interspersed with a few minutes here and there of manic, confusing action dominated by an out-of-control score that seemed to be bullying the viewer to be excited even if the action didn't fully justify it.

I love Martha, as I have gone on about many times on this forum, and she had a worthy end to her storyline (for now) in this ep. But didn't you just wish she would shut up for a bit? Too much of this episode was a character giving expository dialogue emphasising a "mystery" from the previous week, and then another few minutes explaining the answers to those mysteries. First rule of drama is "show, don't tell", and this episode blew it on this count big time, IMO.

Murray Gold divides fans. Most people on this thread seem to like his music, but I know many others who can't abide how intrusive it is (although to be fair to Murray, it's not like he's just running rogue and trying to make himself the star - RTD has made clear in past interviews that it's specifically part of the brief Murray Gold has been given that the music is supposed to be so "big" in this show). I fall somewhere in the middle: generally I like his music, but there are times when I think there's just far too much of it being crammed in. But "Last of the Time Lords" took the music deluge to a whole new level - from that first song played by the Master in the episode's opening minutes, the music barely stopped in the show: every once in a while, for a precious second, we'd have a moment of silence and you could feel the drama finally getting a chance to breathe, and then something important or exciting would happen and straight away in would come blaring another bombastic piece of music to tell us "Look! Something important or exciting is happening!". It took me right out of the story (and, frankly, from the more objective distance it left me at, I started to get the impression that all this music was actually there just to distract us from how little real story was actually going on).

In a nutshell, this episode took me back (nearly) full circle this season, to Mr Shakespeare - it was full of sound and fury but, ultimately, signified nothing.

A far cry from the power of Army of Ghosts / Doomsday, for me.

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 05:08 AM EDT
    ps: to clarify some people's confusion re the ending - I agree the power of words thing stretched credulity a bit (and was a plot device far more effectively used in "The Shakespeare Code" anyway), but the reason the channelling of all those thoughts through the satellites has such a magical effect on the Doctor is supposedly that he has spent the last year mentally tapping into and becoming one with the matrix of Arkangel, so that when those messages are pumped through the system, they are literally also pumped through him, and rejuvenate him. He says something to that effect while he is de-aging, but you might not have heard it over all the music Wink.

Also, I meant to add in my last post that I thought the last shot of the Master's possible escape also seemed very messy. It seemed cut in at a totally random part of the story it had no connection with, and (like most things in the episode) we were given no foreshadowing or set-up to this previously in the episode to help explain what was going on or give the moment true power.

After 52 minutes of story, most of which was a red herring that didn't have any effect on the ultimate resolution, it's a pretty sorry state of affairs that this little sequence was handled so haphazardly.

Okay, that's it. Don't want to end my comments on what's been a great season on such a downer, so instead let me conclude with the following two observations:

1. Jack becoming The Face of Boe was a very cute idea. It made me laugh; and

2. Tardisious's children are merchandising geniuses - "Doctor-hand-aquariums" could be a monster seller on the collectibles market this Christmas.

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 05:29 AM EDT
    At the end of the day I really enjoyed it - but it was a very different season finale. But that seems true of the whole season for me. At the beginning I didn;t get the strong emotion of a School Reunion, Fathers Day or Girl in the Fireplace, yet by the end I felt much more drawn in to episodes like Human Nature / Family of Blood / Blink.

While Last of the Time Lords didn;t hit that consistent high all the way through, there was a lot to enjoy - and I have to admit to finding the scene of the master's pyre surprisingly moving.

While Martha going (at least on a full time basis) seemed right, for me the character has got stronger and stronger as the show has gone on.

I give LOTTL 4 out of 5 from watching it twice.

BTW according to the commentary, the disappearance of Leo is more due to real life than forgetting about him (his agent double booked him). And from what RTD said, he has no plans to resurrect The Master next season, however the ring being picked up leaves it open for anyone else to do in the future. I don't know if it will make it to DVD, but the song is to be cut from overseas versions as one of a number of cuts to bring the show back to a more normal length.

Semi

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed