The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Steven Moffat and Rob Shearman at Gallifrey 2008
    Steven Moffat and Rob Shearman at Gallifrey 2008
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 13 'Last of the Time Lords'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 13 'Last of the Time Lords' Views: 16201
     Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 04:16 PM EDT
    I suppose all in all, this episode was a 4.5 out of 5. I'm a bit disappointed, though, because I was really expecting to have a 6/5 episode. It was fantastic, but I was expecting BETTER than fantastic.

Perhaps the most powerful part of the episode as a whole was seeing the Doctor so absolutely defeated and powerless. And I think that is the scariest thing that could possibly happen in an episode of Doctor Who.

tawm.net: read it. (please?)
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 04:32 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  deknaj] Ok so after that ending all I can say is 'WOW'. Ok so we didnt buy the whole power of words thing, but still it resonated on some level.

just a real quick comment on this matter. As soon as the whole psychic link started, I thought of Peter Pan. Everyone, you in the audience as well! Everyone clap their hands and say, "I DO believe in fairies!" so Tinkerbell can live!

ack.

must dash (as in watch it again before I say aught else).

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 05:30 PM EDT
    Ok. Part 2 of my post.

I'll rant a little more about the preview of the Christmas story. Why do they play so fast and loose with the TARDIS? It's been established that the TARDIS is so tough and resiliant but then they have the Titanic crash into it? That was lame.

Also, with the revelation of Jack being the Face of Boe...DaveAC, fire up the morphing software. i want to see a Jack to Boe one now. Big Grin

[Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] BTW I took it that the TARDIS re-arranged itself and put a back-up console room behind the doors. It should be able to repair itself almost instantaneously to the casual observer, as it can move into some other period of time to repair itself then reappear a second or too after it disappeared - It is a time machine isn't it?

I just assumed it was reset as part of the overall paradox reset, although now that I think of it...it still would have been all messed up as the reset only went to 8:02 on that day, and the TARDIS was modified before that. Good point.

[Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]As for this season, for my part other than three strong episodes (Blink, The Lazarus Project and Human Nature). I thought it was uniformly poorer than anything since Mr McCoy manned the TARDIS.

Yes, the production values were universally high, but the script/story were poor (either generic seen-it-before stuff or just outright weak).

I don't know. Except for the Daleks in New York story (and really, it was only the second half I really didn't like), I thought it was a good season, overall. Other than Smith and Jones and the Dalek story, I thought they were all pretty good.

[Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] The Master's song, that begins with his dancing in and kissing the very very kissable Mrs Saxon, spitting coffee out, ringing his bell and then running around with The Doctor in a wheelchair was just wonderful.

Was that a real song, or something written for the episode like Song for Ten or Love Don't Roam? It was kinda catchy.

It was fun listening in on the Talk Shoe recording today. Normally, my red-eye doesn't arrive until the morning of and I have to wait and watch the show with my wife in the evening. We were able to watch it last night for a change. Unfortunately, she was gabbing with her family in Germany so I couldn't call in. I'll have to try setting up that Gizmo project before next week, just in case the phone is tied up again.

Mr. Green

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 05:38 PM EDT
    I enjoyed this Episode but not as much as last week's one

The plus points were
    I was Shocked with Jack being the whole face of Boe
    Enjoyed the song at the start and am loving the way John Simm has interpreted the Master
    Martha being given a Chance to shine
    Bexley were i live being mentioned although it looked nothing like it
    Utopia being resolved

the negatives were
    at one or two points it did fell to drag but i suppose that would have something to do with increasing it to 55 mins
    Martha leaving i just feel she was never given a chance
    also the death of the Master saddened me surely not the end of him Frown
    And lastly Lucy Saxon not being given a larger role

8/10

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 05:42 PM EDT
    Was inable to watch it yesterday and so watched this evening.

WOW.

This tied up the three parter brilliantly.

I don't think there's any need for a spoiler warning at this point on the thread - but I'm not going to into a deep analysis anyway.

I'd already thought that the spheres would be the Utopia-bound humans, but I didn't expect the Face of Bo revelation (although it's not definite), or to learn the Dobby the House Elf is The Doctor!

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 05:46 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Ace]
    the negatives were........

And lastly Lucy Saxon not being given a larger role

Yeah, very true! Despite her evil-ness, she seems to have generated her own fanclub in a very short space of time. I guess it was that dance. I don't suppose that slinky red number would've done her any harm either though.... Twisted Evil

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 05:46 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] Also, with the revelation of Jack being the Face of Boe...DaveAC, fire up the morphing software. i want to see a Jack to Boe one now. Big Grin

Mr. Green

Here you are:-

EDIT - reload - I've slowed it down

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 05:55 PM EDT
    Just watched it. All I'm gonna say right now is that I'm going to miss Martha. If I were the Doctor I'd have got over Rose pretty sharpish with Martha on board the Tardis! Rose? Rose who?

Any rumours of the new companion?

I'm sure the Master will be back at some stage. Shame it probably won't be John Simm playing him though, I thought he did a great job.

Really, really didn't like the weird gimp Doctor in the cage. I think RTD was trying to bring the Doctor as low as possible before bringing him back triumphantly but it just didn't work. It was actually a great piece of CGI (well done Mill) but the idea was truly, utterly, completely rubbish. And I didn't like the massive one year time gap between episodes. I suddenly felt like I'd been taken out of the story as a bit too much had happened off camera for me.

I sometimes think that in the script meetings, RTD steam-rollers any opposition to any of his more questionable ideas with a flamboyant wave of the hand!

Hmmmmmm. Looks like I wrote quite a bit after all. Fancy.

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 05:57 PM EDT
    Btw, is it just me or did anyone else find it unspeakably sad that an ancient Captain Jack is the Face of Boe?

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 07:46 PM EDT
    Yes, it was kind of sad that Jack was the Face of Bo. I noticed the music reflected this little revelation as it came out too.

One other thing I meant to say - was anyone else reminded of J M Barrie with the part where everyone on earth was supposed to save the Doctor by thinking of him at the same time?

(i.e. "Children, if you believe in fairies, all clap your hands now!")

...and as if that wasn't enough, a couple of seconds later he's flying across the set in a stage flying harness. I'm surprised Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital didn't sue.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 07:52 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    Here you are:-

EDIT - reload - I've slowed it down

LOL...that's fantastic. Thanks.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 09:05 PM EDT

MAJOR CONTINUITY ERROR:

Weren't there 3 Toclafane in the Valiant bridge when the President was killed? What became of them? One actually killed the President. Oops!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 09:12 PM EDT
    Ok I started reading through all the posts but then I got really impatient and I just wanted to throw my two cents in.

The messianic tones always put me off - From the Face of Boe "giving his life to save everyone" earlier in the season to this finale with everyone's faith in The Doctor making him float around, Christ-like - with his arms out in a sort of walking-on-water pose - and then he cradles The Master "I forgive you" .... urghhh is it just because I'm an atheist that this annoys me?

However! Despite the naff elements, I found myself quite moved by this episode - surprisingly upset seeing the Doctor reduced to an old man in a dog-house tent thing, I actually cried out "NoOO!"

The Dobby Doctor was pretty silly but perhaps it was the only element of this episode that would appeal to younger viewers. This was, I found, an intense and grown-up episode.

Captain Jack as the Face of Boe, I thought that was pretty cool, I'm not even going to bother trying to get my head around it.

Well I know there was speculation about Martha leaving, and there was that video of her saying she hadn't been sacked - and I thought to myself, hmmm why would she word it that way? She probably IS leaving... I then avoided all the rest of the spoilers about the subject. She had a good one. It's time for a full Tardis again, please. He needs a genderless alien companion, a guy, and half way through series 4, another female, probably Billie Piper. That's my predictionWink

Do we REALLY have to wait until Christmas, though?? It's so far off!Frown

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 09:22 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] Do we REALLY have to wait until Christmas, though?? It's so far off!Frown

Three words: Children In Need... he hays hopefully. "Oh, please! Oh, please! Oh, please!"

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 09:36 PM EDT
    I'd give this episode a 5 out of 5. Yes, there were a few parts that were lame and a bit slow (Martha speaking on the steps to the refugees about the Doctor), but I loved how the writers used the power of words and of forgiveness to be a world changing tool. Non-violence is a theme that's run through Doctor Who for many decades now and I think it's great that the message was carried into the year 2007.

Say what you will, but this is Doctor Who and not Battlestar Galactica (which I love). I believe the writers took some big risks in not giving us the same old and their choices may not be popular with some, but I applaud them. I really enjoyed the episode and there's a few things I loved:

1. The Doctor forgiving the Master
    2. Jack as the face of Boa
    3. The Master's ring--looks like he'll come back!
    4. Martha's gone (she was a good companion but I'm looking for a change).
    5. Funny cliff hanger for the Christmas special.

Great way to end the season!

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed