The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Doctor 1 Character Tankard
    Doctor 1 Character Tankard
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S3-Ep 13 'Last of the Time Lords'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S3-Ep 13 'Last of the Time Lords' Views: 16188
     Monday, July 02 2007 @ 02:51 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]When the Doctor hit the Titantic I remembered "Rose." Clive had a photo of #9 with a family that survived the Titantic, remember? Will the Doctor be running into his own time line?

If I remember correctly, the photo showed The Doctor with a family as it stayed behind as Titanic left port...I don't think The Doctor was ever on board.

In "The End Of The World" The Doctor says that he was on the Titanic and ended up freezing on an Ice Berg... I wonder if RTD remembered writing that line when he wrote "Voyage Of The Damned"?

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 03:00 PM EDT
    I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the podcast so I apologize if my points have been brought up by anyone else but I feel the need to remark on some of the comments.

Not specific comments, but the statements basically culminating with the idea (agreed by more than 1 reviewer) that the "power of words" solution was a satsuma or some kind of "magic" or religious thing. I find it quite funny that everyone is willing to believe that the Master, a time lord, can use the Arch Angel network to telepathically manipulate the people of earth into voting for him and putting him in power, and then into fearing him to the point of sitting huddled in apartments across the world but when the doctor does the exact same thing to bring hope to the world and weaken the Master's control it's "rubbish"?

Now, the idea of it making the Doctor youthful and non gollumish, I'll give you, was a stretch. I don't think, however, that it was such a big stretch that it deserved to be thrashed the way the reviewers thrashed it.

As for Jack being the FOB I pumped my fist in the air and said "Oh my God!" when it was revealed because it DID make sense! He could age but not die. Remember New Earth when he was dying and then "wasn't" at the end? The Doctor wouldn't know who he was because it hadn't happened in his timeline yet, but it happened in Jack's! I thought it was great, and like Darth brought up, it's really a non issue now.

As for the "time cleaner" things from Father's Day, I think I remember the Doctor telling Rose that his people, the Time Lords, prevented stuff like that from happening (the whole event, time cleaners included) so I think the Paradox Machine was the reason we didn't see them again.

Check out HOO on WHO, my podcast devoted to the review of Classic series Doctor Who DVD's. http://www.hooonwho.com
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 03:08 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  The Bachelor] And again, to those who poo-poo this episode, what in the world are you comparing it to that ranks it so low or mediocre in your mind? 'Logopolis'? 'The Daemons'?

That's funny that you should mention Logopolis, because I was just thinking that the way the Logopolitans...the Logoputians...the guys who lived on Logopolis did their block transfer computation verbally wasn't too different from the Doctor's ArchAngel psychic friends network. Big Grin

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 03:28 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]When the Doctor hit the Titantic I remembered "Rose." Clive had a photo of #9 with a family that survived the Titantic, remember? Will the Doctor be running into his own time line?
    [Quote  by: sgb1975]If I remember correctly, the photo showed The Doctor with a family as it stayed behind as Titanic left port...I don't think The Doctor was ever on board.
    [Quote  by: Dalzo]In "The End Of The World" The Doctor says that he was on the Titanic and ended up freezing on an Ice Berg... I wonder if RTD remembered writing that line when he wrote "Voyage Of The Damned"?
    Where in TEOTW is this line?

In retrospect, the biggest hint about the upcoming Christmas special may have come completely outside the narrative. At the end of the 2006 special, and maybe even at the end of each episode of the year, there was a little blip of footage showing the TARDIS on ice flows, announcing the TARDISODES.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 03:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]Where in TEOTW is this line?

The Doctor and the tree woman discuss the "unsinkability" of Platform One as they lurk about the ship investigating things.

tawm.net: read it. (please?)

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 03:55 PM EDT
    I wonder how they're going to explain how the Titanic crashed all the way through the outside walls, and through many rooms of the TARDIS when it is elledgedly indestrutable? Question

"Now Brigadeer, have I ever led you astray?" "On many ocassions!" "Ah.. well... this will be the exception!"

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 03:55 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]Where in TEOTW is this line?
    [Quote  by:  Tawm] The Doctor and the tree woman discuss the "unsinkability" of Platform One as they lurk about the ship investigating things.
    Ahhh, there it is. It's such a passing reference, it took a lot of digging to find. I suppose it is heavily implied he's talking about the Titanic, but it isn't explicitly said. Probably for good cause—the name wouldn't have made sense to Jabe—but there is a bit of wiggle room there, nonetheless.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 03:57 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Smitty] Oh and time reset itself after the Toclafane off the POTUS-elect.

How many time has RTD watched Death of a President?

-cs™

Bearing in mind I live in the UK, there were people at school saying that it was an anti-bush statement!

"Now Brigadeer, have I ever led you astray?" "On many ocassions!" "Ah.. well... this will be the exception!"

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 04:09 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magrathea]
    [Quote  by:  Smitty] Oh and time reset itself after the Toclafane off the POTUS-elect.

How many time has RTD watched Death of a President?

-cs™

Bearing in mind I live in the UK, there were people at school saying that it was an anti-bush statement!

well, I didn't take it so much as anit-bush, and not even anti-US, but really, we do have a tendency to want to take over things . . . . If we give you the set up, you should always make the punchline stick.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 05:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magrathea] I wonder how they're going to explain how the Titanic crashed all the way through the outside walls, and through many rooms of the TARDIS when it is elledgedly indestrutable? Question

None to worry. The wall the Titanic crashed through was a CGI wall looking in the direction where we normally have the cameras and crew. I guess this was the promised view in the other direction of the console room. Now, where is that door?

Well, we have had stuff get into the TARDIS before, including spam-bots.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 05:52 PM EDT

On Digital Spy 'muttley76' posted this graphic to show a detailed break-down of the viewing figures for 'Last of the Timelords:-

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 07:32 PM EDT
    That's fabulous, Dave. Thanks for posting that. Can't help but note that in the young Adult demo it gets to that magic 90 threshhold of "outstanding".

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 08:16 PM EDT
    Wow!

So how long until someone starts up a new thread for the upcoming Titanic X-Mas special??? Or has it been done already because speculation is already beginning to run wild...

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 08:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] That's fabulous, Dave. Thanks for posting that. Can't help but note that in the young Adult demo it gets to that magic 90 threshhold of "outstanding".

And who would have thought women rating it high than men?

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, July 02 2007 @ 10:31 PM EDT
    Let's try to contextualize this episode even more, Dave.
    • It ties with E1 as the highest-rated episode among females. However, this episode reflects the general trend of the year. Women rate almost every episode more highly than men. The only episode on which they agreed was "42".
    • Rather shockingly, it's the only episode of the entire year to get into double digits for the category learned something new.
    • It's the only episode of the season to break through to 80 on the category liked the characters. Excluding the other two parts of the story and E1 and E2, the average "liked characters" score was more than 5 points behind this episode. As compared with what many fans rate highly, E8-10, E13 was about 5-7 points higher than Cornell or Moffat's offerings in this regard.
    • On the subject of high quality programme E13 was again well in advance of the rest of the episodes, although that lead was greater over the first 7 episodes than the last 6.
    • Similarly, it has the highest score for feels original and different, but it shares that score with E10, and is only a point or two higher than E8, E9, E11 and E12. In terms of the rest of the field, though, the 63 of E10 and E13 tower above an average for E1-E7 of 55.
    • Where many episodes of the series were at or below the drama average for programme was thought provoking, E13 was not only the highest-rated of the series on this score, but 3-4 points up on the nearest rivals (E9-12).
    • While all episodes of the year had an above average rating for would like to discuss (meaning, I suppose, that the show could be something you'd talk about to your friends), "Last" was the only story to go over 50. In this category, the only episode that comes within 5 points is E1.
    • Maybe the most telling category is liked the storyline. Here it was eclipsed by E10. "Blink" was the highest rated storyline of the series at 76. But "Last" did get a 73, putting it well ahead of everything else. Notably, "Human Nature" got only a 67, and "Family of Blood" got a 69 (which, incidentally, was the same score as "Daleks in Manhattan", "Smith and Jones", "Utopia" and "Drums").
    However you slice this thing, "Last of the Time Lords" was a hit with general audiences. Unless you count the Welsh vote. For some reason, Wales has had a lower appreciation for E11-E13 than England, when they rated every other episode (except for E9) higher than the English.
    To help American fans understand AI madness, here's a usefull little snippet from user Trevor Smith over at the OG Forums:
    An AI of 88 is phenomenal.

And an AI for the Sunday repeat of 90!!!

Let me try to express how hard it is to get 90. Let's remember that the "panel" are asked not to vote out of 100, but out of 10. So there are no opportunities to vote 99, 98, 97 etc. 90 is the equivalent of everyone on the panel voting 9/10. If one person votes 8/10, someone has to vote 10/10 in order to bring the average back up to 9. You can't vote higher than 10, so if someone votes 7/10, you need two people voting 10/10 to counterbalance. For every person who votes 6/10, you need three people voting 10/10, etc. We all accept that 10/10, or 100/100 would be near impossible to get, as only one person can spoil it. Getting an average vote of 9/10 is almost as impossible, as it only takes almost as small a number to spoil it.

You can be fairly certain that there is a high number of panellists regularly voting DW 10/10.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored