The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Musical rarity!
    Musical rarity!
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  SPOILER WARNING: First image of Classic serie..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    SPOILER WARNING: First image of Classic series villain retur Views: 1270
     Sunday, November 04 2007 @ 01:40 AM EDT
    The BBC have released 2 promotional photos of the cast with the new design Sontarans:

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the impression from this photo that they're going to be playing the Sontarans for laughs?

It seems such an unlikely choice, since they were major villains in the classic series, and the Judoon were played as serious threats in series 3, but the reactions of the other 3 castmembers in this photo, Donna and the Doctor in particular, seem far from threatened. They look like they're going to burst out into laughter at any moment, in fact.

And were the Sontarans always so much shorter than humans? That's not how I remember them, at least.

Of course, the other piece of news to take out of this is that the episode with the return of the Sontarans also sees the return of Martha Jones!

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, November 04 2007 @ 06:39 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  lucas] The BBC have released 2 promotional photos of the cast with the new design Sontarans:

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the impression from this photo that they're going to be playing the Sontarans for laughs?

It seems such an unlikely choice, since they were major villains in the classic series, and the Judoon were played as serious threats in series 3, but the reactions of the other 3 castmembers in this photo, Donna and the Doctor in particular, seem far from threatened. They look like they're going to burst out into laughter at any moment, in fact.

And were the Sontarans always so much shorter than humans? That's not how I remember them, at least.

Of course, the other piece of news to take out of this is that the episode with the return of the Sontarans also sees the return of Martha Jones!

I agree with you about the expressions - they seem odd if this is a 'new (to 'new' Dr Who) deadly foe'

As to being short - that could be on purpose as I think they come from a high gravity world - hence their great strength and slow movements.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, November 04 2007 @ 08:12 AM EST

Perhaps this is just a shorter Sontaran (i.e. others are taller)? I don't know...

Also didn't the Jadoon customs look more Sontaran?

We still have yet to see the Sontaran helmets. The gun looks good. The head make-up looks real as well.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, November 04 2007 @ 09:30 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  lucas] And were the Sontarans always so much shorter than humans? That's not how I remember them, at least.

They were actually always shorter actors playing Sontarans in the classic series. Derek Deadman (the cockney Sontaran from Invasion of Time) was only about the same height as Christopher Ryan. Now, whether or not that was intentional is another matter entirely.
    As a short-arse myself I should warn you that size does not indicate power. Those little Sontarans will no doubt be kicking major (short)arse!

And another thing while it occurs to me...Sontarans? What? They were just played for laughs weren't they? For a supposedly superior militaristic race they sure had some lowbrow plans. Just imagine the scene: A room in a training academy. Rows of Sontarans sitting at school desks whilst an instructor stands up front:

Instructor: What should we do first when taking over an uninhabited Earth?

Major Styre: Sir! Send in a squad to assess the threat from the indigenous population!

Instructor: Fine okay, can anyone see the flaw in Major Styre's plan? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Big Grin

Bollocks...sir.

Sunday, November 04 2007 @ 09:49 AM EST
    And did they intentionally try to give him the face of Alfred E. Neuman?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, November 04 2007 @ 06:40 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] And did they intentionally try to give him the face of Alfred E. Neuman?

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, November 04 2007 @ 06:42 PM EST
    When I was a boy I called them the 'sultanas' as the reminded me for shriveled grapes.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, November 04 2007 @ 10:27 PM EST
    "Nasty, brutish and short, that about sums up Sontarans" - Jon Pertwee's Doctor in "Time Warrior"

Yes, Sontarans were generally short. And stocky.

Not sure I like the face. Too human in the features. It would have worked better for me if they'd left the face more like the face in "The Sontaran Experiment".

The whole potato-like smooth features were a plus for me.

I'm not at all sure they'll be playing up Sontarans for laughs. That would be disappointing. You can't tell anything like that from a publicity shot out of context of a story.

But woot! Bring on the Sontarans! I really hope they can make something of their war with the Rutans which has been going on since our middle-ages at least.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, November 05 2007 @ 09:26 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Perhaps this is just a shorter Sontaran (i.e. others are taller)? I don't know...

Responding to my own comment... When I originally posted the above, I forgot that Sontarans are a cloned race... So I would imagine they should all be generally the same size (unless they use a certain set of clone "models" so to speak which could be of different heights).

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, November 06 2007 @ 12:17 AM EST
    Nearly 30 years before Jango Fett and the Clonetroopers we had the Sontarans.

Not sure what to make of the fact it's written by Helen (DsiM/EotDs) Raynor.

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 06 2007 @ 05:05 AM EST
    Im with Louis. I always thought it was more a sort of Brave new world Cloning thing. they make diffrent batches sonts for diffrent purposes.

There was one original but differant variants.
    ie pilot, commander, tachnician, spy (useless as you go.. oh look. its a sontaran) but you get the idea.

I also dont mind the evolution of the face that bad. I REALLY liked the sontarans in Shakedown but that would be copyright. as the design copyright is a diffrent deal to the actual alien race.

BBC copyright is so complex.

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Tuesday, November 06 2007 @ 01:34 PM EST
    But will there be Rutans there too?

My lifelong dream of Sontarans and Rutans onscreen together in Doctor Who on television.

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 06 2007 @ 11:33 PM EST
    I remember when Star Trek: Voyager had the episode Tinker, Tenor, Soldier, Spy with the alien race, The Hierarchy, and I thought they were total Sontaran rip-offs.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, November 07 2007 @ 07:52 AM EST
    Looking at your avatar Linquel - they look like a very aged Master! Same expression Wink

EDIT - like this (slowed it down - might take a few seconds to display):-

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored