The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Misc Figurines
    Misc Figurines
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  [SPOILERS] Voyage of the Damned
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [SPOILERS] Voyage of the Damned Views: 4446
     Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 02:29 AM EST

Well, this has got to be the best of the Christmas specials. But it is a typical Davies script. I felt that there were many parallels with The End of the World, even down to the motivation of the villain. And that Max Capricorn, wasn't he just like what you would get when you crossed Davros with The Great Architect? Well, I might have enjoyed Paradise Towers better if the cleaners looked like Max did...

Now, the trailer at the end has me all pumped up for series four. I haven't been following the pulse of spoilers as I had in the past—only got the major ones that have made the press so far—but it looks like we will have a treat.

So Voyage of the Damned was enjoyable, despite all of the known annoyances that RTD shoves into his scripts. There were some funny bits, though, and the line by Copper at the end about the one who chooses who lives and dies being a monster was brilliant. Having the Doctor not able to save Astrid at the end gave this story the weight it needed as a "disaster movie".

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 05:26 AM EST
    I loved it.

It was typical, surprising, touching, sexy, frightening, inspiring and sad.

Although they definitely had their moments, I think the previous Christmas specials haven't been as a good the rest of new era Doctor Who (although in fairness I think that's partly to do with the general deal you get from actually having a primetime Christmas Day TV slot). This one was excellent.

Kylie was a star! Although I'm not great fan of hers (I don't dislike her, she's just never done anything I'm remotely interested in), given her personal events of the last year or so, it was really good to see her being great, in a big part, in a big show. If it wasn't for The Doctor she would have totally stolen the show. As soon as there was a glimpse of the seams, my girlfriend said you can guarantee there'll be a close up of the back of her legs by the end of this. RTD is far too smart to miss a trick like that; he didnt.

Clive Swift is always good and he didnt disappoint either. The turkey/boxing/beef references were very good, and I loved the "only Britain is Great" line. I didnt know if anyone else picked up on it, but there was a pause before The Doctor followed "take me to your leader" with "I've always wanted to say that". I didnt think he was going to follow through & say it! But it was too good to miss (and as obvious as it was, it was still very funny).

The music thoroughout was perfect (although that's nothing more than we've come to expect). I love that song (Stowaway). I wondered at the time if the woman playing the singer in the show was the woman who actually did the vocals on the recorded version (confirmed by following Confidential).

I liked The Hosts. They were sinister looking and yet at the same time quite angelic. They remind you of about 5 different bad guys from the past (which in itself isn't a bad thing, and I guess a robot is a robot). I've got to be honest, the one bit of it that I thought could've been better was Max Capricorn himself. He was a Christmas day villian for me. The Confidential that followed gave a bit of background to him and I must admit it did leave me feeling a bit better about it.

I was surprised a little at the way they dealt with Astrid. I thought (given the time and day) it was a bold move. The falling scene was emotional and very well done.

The Series 4 trailer looked very good.

Lovely touch at the end with the tribute to Verity Lambert.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 08:21 AM EST
    I'd general agree with Louis's summary over on the other thread: I think Voyage of the Damned definitely wasn't bad - it had a couple of nice moments (especially liked the gag about everyone deserting London this Christmas, and the Queen's cameo at the climax), Tennant was strong as usual and it had a really lovely supporting performance from Clive Swift as Mr Copper - but it was a bit of a letdown that this story was such a by-the-numbers rendition of The Poseidon Adventure.

There just weren't any real surprises in the story (other than the initial reveal that this Titanic actually was a spaceship, which was a nice surprise to me since I'd been studiously avoiding the trailers).

Other than that, the biggest surprise really was that Astrid was in no way connected to the TARDIS as had been rampantly speculated upon! - not that the production team should be expected to be slaves to fan rumours, but the BBC themselves drew attention to the Astrid/TARDIS link at least once, in a quiz on the Advent Calendar. Given that, I was a bit surprised that it never came up in the plot, nor did they work in a joke about the connection actually never existing, as they did so well earlier this year with the rumour that the Master was the Doctor's brother...

Speaking of Astrid, Kylie's performance was another problem with this episode for me. I'm neither a great Kylie lover nor hater, but she was just noticeably a level below the other actors in the show when it came to the nuances (or lack thereof) of her performance. At the end of the day, I can live with it for a one-off holiday special. It definitely paid off in publicity and ratings. I just hope that that's the last we see of her in the series.

Lastly I'm a bit surprised no one's commented on the new dance version theme tune! What did people think? I'm still not totally sure myself. I think, all in all, it was an interesting variation, but I'm not sure it's sufficiently reflective of the tone of the show to be an ongoing theme. It'll be interesting to see whether or not they keep it in Series 4...

All right, that's it from me, I think. Except I do want to speak up in defence of "The Christmas Invasion". People suddenly seem to speaking about the Xmas specials as if they're a step below the rest of the series in quality, but I think this first Xmas special definitely doesn't deserve that wrap: it had a great central role for Rose, gutsy as ever, and a fabulous performance from Penelope Wilton. The Doctor may have only been conscious for part of the episode but boy what an entrance, and how he owned the screen once he arrived! It had cool new aliens in the Sycorax, and the Santa Robots and the killer Xmas tree were both funny and scary this first time they appeared, before Runaway Bride wore them out. It had lots of UNIT coolness, and Torchwood at probably their most intriguing and mysterious (ie talked about but never seen...). And it was stunningly shot - including those amazing images of people standing on rooftops around the world, and that glorious sword fight at then end... At the time of its broadcast, it was for me the best Who story ever made, and two years later, it's still in the top two or three. So due credit to The Christmas Invasion!!!!

Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 08:53 AM EST
    as the credits came up, all I could think to say was "meh."

I think the only point in episode that I was excited was when the funky theme song played. As enjoyable as that song was, I do hope this was just a one-off and we aren't changing music quite yet.

I enjoyed the scriptwriters choice of keeping some of the conflict from the original Titantic alive, even though no one seemed to be aware of the irony. The contest winners who should have been in steerage, for example. Mr. Copper's understanding on earth history/culture was equally funny: The country of UK and Great France and Great Germany. The war with the continent of Canmerica. The war with Turkey each year where the victors actually eat the people of Turkey.

I don't think this special holds up to The Christmas Invasion. Perhaps because I loved how that first Christmas special was a great transition from #9 to #10. It fit in very well with the storylines and set up the new Doctor's personality quite well. This was too much like The Love Boat meets The Poseidon Adventure to me (guest stars gallore, trying to get through a sinking ship with death at every turn just for the sake of having death).

Still, maybe the second watching will leave me with a better flavor of the show.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 10:54 AM EST

Wow, over 12 million viewers according to the overnights reported on OG!!!

Fantastic! Brilliant!

Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 01:23 PM EST
    I was thinking this was a big flashback to "Robots of Death", and I certainly think some of it was intentional. When the one Host's hand was stuck in the door, that shot of the hand clasping was exactly the same.

I also kept waiting for the Balrog on that bridge.... Wink

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 02:05 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  lucas]
    All right, that's it from me, I think. Except I do want to speak up in defence of "The Christmas Invasion". People suddenly seem to speaking about the Xmas specials as if they're a step below the rest of the series in quality, but I think this first Xmas special definitely doesn't deserve that wrap: it had a great central role for Rose, gutsy as ever, and a fabulous performance from Penelope Wilton. The Doctor may have only been conscious for part of the episode but boy what an entrance, and how he owned the screen once he arrived! It had cool new aliens in the Sycorax, and the Santa Robots and the killer Xmas tree were both funny and scary this first time they appeared, before Runaway Bride wore them out. It had lots of UNIT coolness, and Torchwood at probably their most intriguing and mysterious (ie talked about but never seen...). And it was stunningly shot - including those amazing images of people standing on rooftops around the world, and that glorious sword fight at then end... At the time of its broadcast, it was for me the best Who story ever made, and two years later, it's still in the top two or three. So due credit to The Christmas Invasion!!!!

That's a strong case for the defence on both counts Lucas! I can only speak personally; although they both began brilliantly, I don't think either of them totally lasted the pace. That's just my take on it. One (brilliant) bit that you didnt mention was the Tardis hurtling down the motorway - I thought that was as exciting a piece of television as I've ever seen!

[Quote  by:  Louis]
    I was looking forward to the trailer for the 2008 series at the end, but even that was a bit of a let down for me.

Somewhat surprised at that as I thought it looked really good!

Lastly I'm a bit surprised no one's commented on the new dance version theme tune! What did people think? I'm still not totally sure myself. I think, all in all, it was an interesting variation, but I'm not sure it's sufficiently reflective of the tone of the show to be an ongoing theme. It'll be interesting to see whether or not they keep it in Series 4...

I loved it. I'm not sure when I heard it it particularly struck me as a dance mix, but it me pumped up and I was ready to rumble by the time the program proper started. I'd not thought about it, but I love the original revamp of the theme tune, and as good as this was, I'd probably prefer that for series 4.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 02:36 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    I was looking forward to the trailer for the 2008 series at the end, but even that was a bit of a let down for me.

Somewhat surprised at that as I thought it looked really good!

I don't think Louis will be excited by a trailer unless it looks like all the proposed locations are well beyond present day Earth in both space and time. I for one don't mind the limitations as long as we get great storytelling.

Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 05:00 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] as the credits came up, all I could think to say was "meh."

Yeah, me too. To me it was a lot of action and noise, with not much else. I mean it was ok, but not what I was hoping for.

Kylie was lovely. Sigh.

But I was really hoping she'd survive to ride in the TARDIS with the Doctor.

Interesting letting the sniveling greedy guy live, but hey, if he didn't, that would have been too formulaic, I guess.

But too much too much too much. Too much of everything except breathing space.

Still, I'll take it over no Doctor Who at all for a half year.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 07:36 PM EST
    whats with the new music...

i was just pleased Kylie died...

sorry...

more once ive wached it again...

oh look BBc Iplayer...

oh no... my dvd recorder is broken...

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 09:24 PM EST

Not to sure myself. I was a bit shocked at the beginning but have listened to it a few times now. It's not bad, I just don't think I want it to be the new opening theme. I noticed the closing theme was not done the same way.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 09:31 PM EST
    I think Doctor Who is going Torchwood, there is too much Snogging.

Rose, Martha now Astrid. Since the return the Doctor has had more snogs than in the entire previous 40 odd years.

The whole episode seemed very Poseidon Adventure Foon seemed to do the Shelley Winters part.

Maybe I am very stupid but why would a cyborg have an EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) Generator built into his chest/stomach? In case the Matrix squids were passing by?

Enjoyed the episode but some very large plot holes seem to exist.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 27 2007 @ 12:51 AM EST
    If I may, lets reflect on the Series 4 trailer at the end. Of course we know that the Sontarans are coming back and so is Martha and the Ood...but in seeing some of the parts of that preview why do I have a sneaky suspicion that the Rani will be making an appearance....and did anyone pick up any hidden clues or references to this series' big bad? Sorry to use a Buffy term there but it seems to fit.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 27 2007 @ 06:06 AM EST
    Funny, but I noticed the theme song right off. I mentioned it to my wife and thought it was different--not in a bad way, but I'm also not certain whether I'd like to hear this as the regular version.

As for the episode, well, about midway over I looked at my wife and saw that she had fallen asleep during it. Now she's not a big Doctor Who fan, but she had made it through the rest.

I think "meh" sums it up. It's not that I didn't like the episode, but I thought Max Capricorn as the "bad guy" was a bit lame and since you knew that the Doctor had to get from point A to B there really wasn't much chance for growth of his character. You knew he'd win, people would die and that would be that.

What I did like is that characters who you thought would live were killed off. That was rather refreshing and I also liked the "If you could choose who lived and died, then they'd be a monster" quote. Nice touch.

I did enjoy the episode. Just wasn't my favorite.

Thursday, December 27 2007 @ 08:40 AM EST
    Mohan,

I have to agree with you completely! "Meh" said it all when I was done watching it. Even the trailer for S4, I looked at it and thought to myself, that it looks like more running, explosions and old villains coming back. We seem to creatively keep returning to the same well and I'm starting to wonder if maybe a change in the creative team (i.e. Julie Garner and RTD leaving) wouldn't be a good thing before much longer?

I'm not flaming the show, I love Doctor Who and I agree that ANY Who is better than NO Who, but the worst possible thing that could happen to this wonderful show is for it to fade away because it gets to predictable or repetitive.

Just my 2 cents.

Check out HOO on WHO, my podcast devoted to the review of Classic series Doctor Who DVD's. http://www.hooonwho.com

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored