The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 312 - 'The Caretaker' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'The Caretaker' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 28th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 311 - 'Time Heist' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Prosthetics
    Prosthetics
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  [SPOILERS] Voyage of the Damned
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [SPOILERS] Voyage of the Damned Views: 4589
     Thursday, December 27 2007 @ 09:01 AM EST
    "meh" all around for me, too. Picks up where Series 3 left off: stories that aren't terrible, but aren't great either. Just ok. But I was hoping for more from an extended-length episode.

- I was surprised at the start with the new music, but I didn't think it was all that bad. May just take a few episodes to get used to.

- The robots reminded me, also, of those in The Robots of Death. I was hoping for some kind of tie-in with maybe a younger Taren Capel, but it was not the case.

- I didn't care for the villian too much. I felt as though he was introduced too late in the story for us to really care about him.

- I was actually quite disappointed with the trailer for S4. Yes, it'll be cool to see the Ood, and how they re-introduce the Sontarans, but other than that it was pretty much a cut-and-paste trailer for any action/thriller TV or movie. Lots of explosions, people screaming, heroes running...

- 1 more thing about the trailer: I was (and still am) willing to wait for a few episodes to make any judgement on Catherine Tate, but based on the trailer footage, is it too early to be already be annoyed with her?

Oh, and one final thought...anybody else think we haven't seen the last of Rickston Slade?

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 27 2007 @ 09:35 AM EST
    I loved the new theme tune, well, I say 'new' but it might just have been for the Christmas special, though I suspect it will be the Series 4 theme.

I thought it was good, but still not fantastic. I really enjoyed it but RTD's scripts often get a little too sentimental bordering on cheesy.

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 27 2007 @ 11:04 AM EST
    Overall, I enjoyed it, considering that Davies' writing is so hit or miss right now (I HATED LotTL).

I really don't like the new theme; I think it's the worst version I've heard to date, and that's saying a lot when we have more than 40 years to go back on.

I don't think Kylie did a bad job, and everybody else did a good/great job with their parts.

But I was seriously considering skipping a few minutes once the "slo mo" stuff started. That whole sequence had me cringing. It's bits like that that continue to make me want Davies to cut back on the writing duties.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 27 2007 @ 01:33 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  silvanthalas] But I was seriously considering skipping a few minutes once the "slo mo" stuff started.

Is the "slo mo" stuff when people started falling in to the deep, burn pits of death? if so then I agree with you. One death into the fiery pit (in slo mo) would have been alright, but three? That seems just an excuse to use up some allotted CGI budget and let everyone try a bit of wire-work.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 27 2007 @ 02:04 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    [Quote  by:  silvanthalas] But I was seriously considering skipping a few minutes once the "slo mo" stuff started.

Is the "slo mo" stuff when people started falling in to the deep, burn pits of death? if so then I agree with you. One death into the fiery pit (in slo mo) would have been alright, but three? That seems just an excuse to use up some allotted CGI budget and let everyone try a bit of wire-work.

I think they're referencing the awful "action hero" moment the Doctor posed for after Kylie died - where fireball explosions are erupting behind him as the slow-mo was in full effect. All it needed was an epic "awwww yeah - who's the Doctor?" over it to cap it off. Felt like something from a Michael Bay movie. Man, that was wretched indeed - I was howling out loud laughing - and believe me, that wasn't my preferred reaction.

All in all, this was just ok. Definitely the Doctor Who equivalent of "The Poseidon Adventure." I did enjoy it overall, but it felt kind of loose and sloppy the whole time. Just sort of thrown together in an unfortunate sort of way. There were some funny and memorable bits to be sure, but much like the slow-mo action moment, the "Thank you, Doctor - Merry Christmas!" thing with the Queen at the end made me cringe. Just too frakkin ridiculous, IMO.

The whole "London's on Holiday for the Holidays" due to the past alien encounters was kind of cute, but not much else really struck me as clever. The villain was WEAK - like Terry Thomas meets a garage-sale Davros costume - bleh. The "Hosts" were ok, though - much cooler than the recycled 'X-mas droids all over again - though the "bots on the holidays" idea is still overused for the specials three years now and counting.

And is it just me, or was Kylie's death in the fiery pit just poorly handled? It was so ludicrous - she could've (and should've) jumped out of the forklift at the last second - it seemed like such a waste, even if we already knew she wouldn't stay with the Doctor at the end. She could have lived to come back another day (ala the way Donna is going to).

The new theme was ok - nothing special, nor too offensive in its variation. The teaser for the first half of Series 4 at the end looked ok - some cool makeups and whatnot - but yet again, I spied a lot of hand holding and puppy-dog eyes between the Doctor and Donna - christ, here we go again. I guess we'll see how it all pans out starting in March.

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 27 2007 @ 07:08 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]

I think they're referencing the awful "action hero" moment the Doctor posed for after Kylie died - where fireball explosions are erupting behind him as the slow-mo was in full effect. All it needed was an epic "awwww yeah - who's the Doctor?" over it to cap it off. Felt like something from a Michael Bay movie. Man, that was wretched indeed - I was howling out loud laughing - and believe me, that wasn't my preferred reaction.

That is a hilariously accurate description of that bit of the program.

I'm giving RTD the benefit of the doubt there. I think that was more to do with deal/trade off you must get for actually getting a prime time Christmas day slot. As well as the legions of Dr Who fans (who analyse every single second, coming up with possible plots and sub-plots - to the point where you can get some sort of parallel epidode going on), you've also got all the mums, dads, grannys, grandads, aunts & uncles who don't normally watch Doctor Who, watching Doctor Who. I think those few seconds were aimed at the non-fans, looking for your Towering Inferno Christmas day style blockbuster. Also, I thought the Astrid conclusion was a bloody bold thing to do (even more so given the time slot I've just gone on about). It would've made a lot more sense for the Doctor to get girl, kill the baddies & save the entire planet. Everybody's happy. Instead (to my surprise at least) we got the polar opposite, and they milked it (with some suitably evocative music and slow-mo fireballs thrown in for good measure).

Incidentally Will-I-Am (for all it's worth); although I don't always totally agree with you (and in this case I more or less disagree as I thought VotD was excellent), I think your individual episode analysis' are amongst the very best reading on these boards!

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 27 2007 @ 07:57 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]

That is a hilariously accurate description of that bit of the program.

I'm giving RTD the benefit of the doubt there. I think that was more to do with deal/trade off you must get for actually getting a prime time Christmas day slot. As well as the legions of Dr Who fans (who analyse every single second, coming up with possible plots and sub-plots - to the point where you can get some sort of parallel epidode going on), you've also got all the mums, dads, grannys, grandads, aunts & uncles who don't normally watch Doctor Who, watching Doctor Who. I think those few seconds were aimed at the non-fans, looking for your Towering Inferno Christmas day style blockbuster. Also, I thought the Astrid conclusion was a bloody bold thing to do (even more so given the time slot I've just gone on about). It would've made a lot more sense for the Doctor to get girl, kill the baddies & save the entire planet. Everybody's happy. Instead (to my surprise at least) we got the polar opposite, and they milked it (with some suitably evocative music and slow-mo fireballs thrown in for good measure).

Incidentally Will-I-Am (for all it's worth); although I don't always totally agree with you (and in this case I more or less disagree as I thought VotD was excellent), I think your individual episode analysis' are amongst the very best reading on these boards!

Valid points, Tardis-Knight. I certainly agree that Kylie's death was a bold stroke indeed - just seemed a might bit unnecessary in my estimation. But who knows? The way the series is now in its unpredictable arcs (and trust me, that's a complement - I approve of such unconventional structure), I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if "Stardust Kylie" didn't reappear at some point and merge with the heart of the TARDIS in order to save the Doctor and Co. from some impending peril down the road.

The "slam-bang" production values do indeed make sense to hook some viewers who happen to just wander in - and that's ok. That whole "slow-mo" bit was just WAY too gratuitous for my liking. But hey - it made me laugh. I don't think that was the intention, but alas, such was the case.

Like I said, overall I enjoyed it. I think I've enjoyed them all in some capacity since the 2005 return - even the weaker entries have their charms, if you will. I'm going to watch "Voyage" again in a few days after I sift through my "Blade Runner" briefcase set in its entirety. We'll see if a second viewing helps at all.

Cheers on the complement - it is much appreciated. And is that a PWEI reference I spy in your reply? Mr. Green

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 28 2007 @ 11:53 AM EST
    Although I quite enjoyed the Voyage of the Damned, I disliked the Doctor rising with the Angels (host) to save the day in a Godlike fashion. It seemed to very similar in concept and execution to the end of the Last of the Time Lords where the Doctor become young again and saves everyone, because everyone says his name at the allotted time. This latter moment I absolutely hated

What worries me is that the VOTD got the highest viewing figures since the series returned in 2005 and these type of RTD episodes get the highest Audience appreciation figures. So expect more of the same.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 28 2007 @ 02:45 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]What worries me is that the VOTD got the highest viewing figures since the series returned in 2005 and these type of RTD episodes get the highest Audience appreciation figures. So expect more of the same.
    So true...so unfortunately true...

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 28 2007 @ 03:50 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am] And is that a PWEI reference I spy in your reply? Mr. Green

It absolutely was! & if totally honest, I didnt expect anyone to pick up on it! It was a (very brief) touch of plagiarism that I fully expected to get away with!

[Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] Although I quite enjoyed the Voyage of the Damned, I disliked the Doctor rising with the Angels (host) to save the day in a Godlike fashion. It seemed to very similar in concept and execution to the end of the Last of the Time Lords where the Doctor become young again and saves everyone, because everyone says his name at the allotted time. This latter moment I absolutely hated

What worries me is that the VOTD got the highest viewing figures since the series returned in 2005 and these type of RTD episodes get the highest Audience appreciation figures. So expect more of the same.

See, I hated that bit in Last of the Time Lords too, but for totally different reasons. I thought it was just a daft way of getting out the biggest pickle he'd found himself in in donkey's years. If the storyline
    didn't have a whole in it (about the same size as the Pacific Ocean) I'd have loved that bit. I personally didnt get the same kind of vibes from that bit of LotTL as I did from the Doctor emerging through the smoke and fire in VotD.

I'm a big defender of RTD. The way the reviewers on the OG reviews pages used to regularly slaughter him could get on my nerves a bit; but in his own episodes, it seems sometimes everything has be bigger, better and just more thoroughly glam than everything else. I don't want to be too critical of the man because he's primarily responsible for 3 years of glorious Doctor Who, but sometimes it's all a bit too much; and as much as I really liked it, I thought there was a bit of that going on in VotD. But hey (at risk of sounding like a cracked record over my recent posts), it was Christmas Day.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 28 2007 @ 08:46 PM EST
    I had mixed feelings about VotD. It had some good moments, but it just seemed "meh" to me. I liked the previous two better (yes, even Runaway Bride was superior. It always makes me laugh). As for the S4 trailer, I liked it. I am looking forward to CT (I guess I've forgiven her for her botched comments about whether DT was leaving in that radio interview recently), & I thought she had some funny lines in the trailer. So the trailer wasn't a disappointment to me.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 28 2007 @ 11:37 PM EST
    I haven't read any of the posts in this thread yet, but I wanted to go on record as saying that VotD left me kind of flat. I guess they wanted to make the point that the Doctor can't choose who lives and who dies, but having almost all the nice characters die and the jerk live made it hard to enjoy. And the "boss" bad-guy didn't do a whole lot for me either. I don't know. Maybe after reading what other people say and/or watching it a second time I may change my mind, but I was so looking forward to it and when it was over I was kind of "meh".

===

Adding more after reading the posts. I love that "meh" is so widely used. I didn't expect to be the fourth or fifth person to say that when I made my post.

[Quote  by:  lucas]Lastly I'm a bit surprised no one's commented on the new dance version theme tune! What did people think? I'm still not totally sure myself. I think, all in all, it was an interesting variation, but I'm not sure it's sufficiently reflective of the tone of the show to be an ongoing theme. It'll be interesting to see whether or not they keep it in Series 4...

I made a mental note to mention the new theme, and promptly forgot. To me, it seemed more like a combination of the Murray Gold theme with the Davison-era theme. It sounded like there was a little bit of guitar in there and a little bit of synth. I'll have to listen again. Maybe someone posted an MP3 of it already. Smile

===

Of course someone already posted an MP3 of it already. Big Grin

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, December 29 2007 @ 01:34 AM EST
    I'm a little annoyed that the BBC isn't making the commentary for VotD available as a downloadable MP3 file. It's streaming only. Here's the official word from their website.

-L

[Quote  by:  BBC]

Why we're doing things a little differently this Christmas.

You're probably wondering why the commentary for Voyage Of The Damned isn't available as an MP3 and isn't on iTunes.

This is because the BBC is only currently allowed to offer big downloads like this if they're related to radio shows.

We're working to reach a new agreement and get this and future commentaries back as downloads before Series Four, but in the meantime we're streaming the one for Voyage Of The Damned.

As we appreciate that streams can sometimes buffer, and therefore go out of sync with the video (if you want to play them alongside the TV picture), you can use the links below to stream the commentary in bits if need be.

[snip]

The commentary can also be heard via the Red Button alongside the BBC Three repeat of the episode on New Year's Day.

We appreciate that this really isn't ideal, but hope normal service will be restored soon!

The commentary appears to be available via other means, but I have yet to actually get it. Neutral

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, December 29 2007 @ 04:56 AM EST
    It's just been announced that Kylie has received an OBE for services to music.

Whilst I don't remotely dislike Kylie, I find it very very difficult to get excited about her "music" & an OBE for that strikes me as ridiculous. Like nearly everybody else I loved that one song - that had a video that left most men who saw it desperate for her, and most women who saw it wishing they looked like her (and maybe desperate for her as well), but that is about it.

Kylie is unquestionably a star - I'm not trying to say otherwise - and Doctor Who got a bit of a result when she was confirmed as Astrid (and I suspect Kylie feels she didnt do bad out of it) but services to music!??!

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, December 29 2007 @ 12:06 PM EST
    Firstly - I'm post BEFORE reading this thread.

Only just watched VOTD - was at rwelatives on the night and my recording failed as there were some electrical 'brown outs'

So what did I think - first third ...great -

second third ....heavy handed and a very mixed bag

last third ...... RTD is taking the pi**!...thinking he can get the fans to swallow anything.

I ended the show very angry....let's not have any more Christmas Specials..... just spend the extra money on the main series - even give us two more episodes.

He must have sat at his computer and thought - what's the silliest idea I can get them to sit through?

I know the Titannic (almost) crashing into Buckingham Palace...now how do we get to that.

Two good things only - wquite liked Kylie and I liked having Bernard Cribbins in it.

EDIT - now I'll read the thread
    daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored