The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    A Haemovore from Curse of Fenric
    A Haemovore from Curse of Fenric
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  [SPOILERS] Voyage of the Damned
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [SPOILERS] Voyage of the Damned Views: 4573
     Saturday, December 29 2007 @ 01:55 PM EST
    Yeah this left me a little flat as well, for some reason. I was so excited, too.

It surprised me that characters actually died - though of course you knew Kylie was going to die the minute the Doctor agreed to take her on.

As for the new theme - I like it, it's a little nod to the late 80's theme version.

I also really disliked the bit with the angels at the end, lifting him up - just as I hated the messianic stuff at the end of series 3. I wish they'd just cut out that business.

Oh and ONCE AGAIN we have the Doctor saving the earth. When can he just save the day? Why does the entire fate of humanity always have to rest on whatever he is doing? How do you build up dramatic tension when it's the same thing at stake every single episode and you KNOW he's not going to fail? They've really written themselves into a hole with this - trying to top the last disaster each episode. I adore David Tennant, but if his Doctor is always going to be quasi-Jesus get rid of him and bring on a less ambitious incarnation. And at least 3 or 4 companions, pleaseSmile

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, December 30 2007 @ 07:32 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Magpie]

I also really disliked the bit with the angels at the end, lifting him up - just as I hated the messianic stuff at the end of series 3. I wish they'd just cut out that business.

I didn't like that at all.

I've just watched the Confidencial - and enjoyed it - so I watched VOTD again.

I've decided I liked the first 40 minutes or so - but then there were a number of RTD things I just didn't like - and am still angry that (for me) they spoiled the show.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, December 30 2007 @ 04:18 PM EST
    Hi folks,

Just wanted to say I am sorry I missed the Talkshoe discussion today. I have been nursing a cold and have been sleeping alot of it off and completely forgot about today's discussion.

As it is I just have enough energy to record my own show today. Not that I have had luck with Talkshoe in the past. I look forward to listening to it and hope to try joining you all in a future discussion show.

Cheers,
    Russel

I am the Master and you will obey me... Listen to Ramble with Russel at ramblingruss.libsyn.com

Sunday, December 30 2007 @ 04:40 PM EST
    Like many, I have mixed feelings about this story. I'm about to watch it a second time and I wonder if maybe my expectations were too high the first time around. Overall, I felt the story dragged in some parts and certain themes are being repeated too much.

Just a few episodes ago, in 42, we had the scenario of a space ship in danger and a small group rushing to save the day. While that story had its weak points, I felt the danger was much more real. In Voyage, I never felt that sense of wondering how the Doctor would get out of the situation.

As others have noted, any Doctor Who is good and it is good to have a helping of the show during the break between series.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 31 2007 @ 04:55 AM EST
    I mostly enjoyed it. There was a lot of fun elements to it. The only things I did'nt like was the scene with the Queen at the end, to cheesy & Kylie's "acting". Thank goodness she was killed off.Wooden does'nt begin to describe it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 31 2007 @ 10:39 AM EST
    I was back at work today and someone mentioned it. There were about 4 or 5 people in our team (none of them particularly committed Doctor Who fans) and everyone said they really enjoyed it. It got a big thumbs up all round. The only negative comment was someone thought the Queen/Buck Palace scene was a bit stupid.

They all know I'm a long-time Doctor Who nerd and when I mentioned there was a fair bit of negativity towards it on the website I go on, they were all a bit quizical and surprised.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 31 2007 @ 02:58 PM EST
    *** Wild speculation begin (possible finale spoilers): ***

Ok, you've been warned. One thing about VotD that captured my attention was the line towards the end of the episode directed at The Doctor...something to the effect of how we can't choose who lives or dies - anybody who could do so would be a monster. Anyway, with the rumored companion-fest set for the S4 finale, imagine The Doctor being put into the position by the chief villian (Sontarans/Davros/whomever), where all of the companions (Donna, Martha, Rose and/or SJS), are being held captive and put into mortal danger, and The Doctor will be able to save all but 1...who would he leave out? Perhaps this would send The Doctor into a downward spiral, even more so than after Rose left. This might be a good segway into the mini-hiatus expected after S4. Could just be that I've got a lot of time to think about this stuff, but I think that's probably better than any of the stories we're getting now...or I could be completely wrong, but it's still fun to guess what we're going to see...

*** Wild speculation end ***

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 31 2007 @ 10:37 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] I'm a little annoyed that the BBC isn't making the commentary for VotD available as a downloadable MP3 file. Neutral

I was also dissapointed at not being able to download the commentary, hope they sort out the legal issues before the next series starts as one of the highlights of my saturday evenings is rewatching that nights episode with the commentary Confused

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 01 2008 @ 01:35 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Firstly - I'm post BEFORE reading this thread.

Only just watched VOTD - was at rwelatives on the night and my recording failed as there were some electrical 'brown outs'

So what did I think - first third ...great -

second third ....heavy handed and a very mixed bag

last third ...... RTD is taking the pi**!...thinking he can get the fans to swallow anything.

I ended the show very angry....let's not have any more Christmas Specials..... just spend the extra money on the main series - even give us two more episodes.

He must have sat at his computer and thought - what's the silliest idea I can get them to sit through?

I know the Titannic (almost) crashing into Buckingham Palace...now how do we get to that.

Two good things only - wquite liked Kylie and I liked having Bernard Cribbins in it.

EDIT - now I'll read the thread
    daveac
    Well said dave!

Kind of my feelings as well that and the ascent scene.

I saw that and thought "oh give me a freakin' break!"

So Next Christmas Russel will make him literally the son of God! Resurrection? No it's a regeneration!

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 01 2008 @ 02:44 PM EST

Well, wasn't one of the themes of the new series the Doctor as a lonely god? This may be RTD's blatant/lazy way of portraying that!?!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, January 01 2008 @ 07:00 PM EST
    Just watched it again for the second time (after the confidential, this time). And still, a bit 'meh.'

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 02 2008 @ 04:01 AM EST
    Click here to hear

Voyage of the damned show...

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Wednesday, January 02 2008 @ 04:24 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975] *** Wild speculation begin (possible finale spoilers): ***

Ok, you've been warned. One thing about VotD that captured my attention was the line towards the end of the episode directed at The Doctor...something to the effect of how we can't choose who lives or dies - anybody who could do so would be a monster. Anyway, with the rumored companion-fest set for the S4 finale, imagine The Doctor being put into the position by the chief villian (Sontarans/Davros/whomever), where all of the companions (Donna, Martha, Rose and/or SJS), are being held captive and put into mortal danger, and The Doctor will be able to save all but 1...who would he leave out? Perhaps this would send The Doctor into a downward spiral, even more so than after Rose left. This might be a good segway into the mini-hiatus expected after S4. Could just be that I've got a lot of time to think about this stuff, but I think that's probably better than any of the stories we're getting now...or I could be completely wrong, but it's still fun to guess what we're going to see...

*** Wild speculation end ***

Hmm... I hadn't thought about that prospect in light of what is to come later in the new season. You have some good points, though. It (tragic consequences, etc.) might redeem the overall silliness of having all of the ladies aboard the TARDIS at once come the end of the run.

Still, I'm not particularly thrilled about Rose coming back now. It's just a bit forced. Now, the grand finale of Series 2 will mean far less, in retrospect. When watching that stuff in the future, I won't be swept up in the genuine perfection of the way they chose to end that arc - instead, I'll just think "ah, well - they'll see each other again soon enough."

By showing that they're not afraid to off a likable character and top-tier name like Kylie (even in a one-off, guest-starring role) out of thin air in VotD proves anything's possible, I guess. I just have an uneasy feeling about this next season. Not sure why, honestly. The series is as popular as it has ever been, and certainly at an all-time high, of sorts - and yet still, it feels like RTD is painting certain themes (lonely god undercurrent, "I am the Doctor, blah, blah" lol) into the corner, with particularly broad, obnoxious strokes. Still, looking forward to whatever happens - it should be interesting.

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 02 2008 @ 11:18 PM EST
    Maybe that is the overall arc of the season...I cant save everyone and if I am put in the position of who I can save, who lives and who dies?

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 03 2008 @ 01:27 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    Two good things only - wquite liked Kylie and I liked having Bernard Cribbins in it.

Yeah, I likd Bernard Cribbins - another nod to DW's past - this time a cross-canon one!

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored