The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Silurian (Warriors of the Deep)
    Silurian (Warriors of the Deep)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4 EP1: Partners in Crime [Spoilers]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4 EP1: Partners in Crime [Spoilers] Views: 8848
     Thursday, April 10 2008 @ 06:06 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie]
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]
    Lastly; I thought the Adipose escaping CGI was rubbish. Simple as that really.

Aww! but they were so cuuute! Only, they could have had some more snaggle-tooth variation I thought, rather than just all have their snaggle-tooth in the same spot.

Question When are the plush versions coming out? Question

EDIT: It looks like the pre-post forum bug has hit this thread...—Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 02:32 PM EDT
    so... what did you think?

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 02:37 PM EDT
    Magic. Need I say more, ok go on then.

What a Episode! Was not expecting the bit at the end! Donna was miles better than she was in RB, the Adipsode weren't as bad as I thought they would be, in fact they were pretty good! My faith in RTD has been restored! (until his next episode anyway!) The bit with Cribbins at the end, made me smile like only a DW episode can. Do we have to wait a week for that next episode, it looks great!

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 02:38 PM EDT
    I personally loved it, I enjoyed the scenes with Grandad and loved the first scene the Doctor and Donna saw each other again, really clever distraction technique.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 07:02 PM EDT

I thought this episode was a lot of fun. I liked the part near the end where it was the Doctor trying to save the baddie instead of dispatching her.

I think that the Adipose plush toys would be a huge hit, if they decide to make any..

I like the way both Donna and the Doctor had similar ideas for investigating Adipose. There were a bit too many self references, but not that bad.

I did not expect that cameo so early in the series... now I know why someone was in the trailers...

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 08:07 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tin Dog Podcast] so... what did you think?

Good rather than brilliant - with some nice touches.

The teaser at the end was great even if I do think it's too soon.

And what about that ship!

Straight out of 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 09:12 PM EDT

Really, everyone?

Hmm... Well, in the span of two nights, I saw the season opener of the new BSG, the series 2 finale of Torchwood, and now the 2008 series opener of Doctor Who...

I had hoped the latter would have faired better among the three in my opinion... This story seemed a little too Invasion of the Bane for me. In fact, I kept on waiting to see Sarah Jane to show up with her sonic lipstick.

Well, I did get a sonic pen... close enough.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 09:19 PM EDT
    This was a fairly ordinary adventure that was basically a blatant — and, surprisingly, less intelligent — recycling of "Invasion of the Bane". I didn't hate it, but it wasn't the reintroduction of Donna that I'd hoped for. Wished we'd found Donna in some kind of adventuring mode outside the UK, rather than "Tried it for two weeks but it didn't work". I would've really dug it if we'd found her in the middle of (at least) Europe, perhaps even that she'd "discovered" that life there wasn't so much more extraordinary than life in the UK. I like the imagery of her being broke enough and bored enough to have to wearily trot off to some Italian temping agency. Instead, we got her in "faux Sarah Jane mode". The ending was weaker by far than "Runaway Bride", with the solution to the problem depending on having exactly two of the the little things on the keychains. How utterly convenient for displaying Donna's utility.

All that said, there was quite a bit of good in the episode. I was immediately glad they retained the musical cue for her from "Runaway Bride", because it's possibly my favorite Murray Gold cue. It's the strongest of the companion themes for capturing the spirit of the character.

i loved all the business with "Health and Safety" as a cover. And the payoff was great. "You be health, I'll be safety", indeed. Props to RTD and Strong for hitting that comedy note perfectly. And the girl playing the telemarketer was pitch-perfect. (Not to mention cute as hell. Seriously, I nominate her for the next office-bound companion.)

I also quite like that RTD fit in some genuine continuity right from the off. Not just a word hunt, but a couple of honest-to-god conceptual mysteries. Why was Rose there? What's this business about bees? It's still "light" continuity, but it's a bit more about plot than just catching the words "Bad Wolf" and "Torchwood". Imagine if we'd actually seen newscasts of John Simm giving speeches on a newscast in episode 1 or episode 6 last year. I mean the continuity last year was quite genuine, and the season's arc was by far the best of the three, but this feels like it's gonna be a better year for the evolving storyline.

Despite the fact that I didn't like the overall concept of her as an "investigator", I do think it was handled quite well by both RTD and director James Strong. I mean, if that's the way you have to go, this was a great way to do it. The bit where the Doctor and Donna meet through lip-reading made me laugh harder than I would have expected, considering it was partly spoiled by the trailers. I especially enjoyed Strong's nods to the beginning and end of "Smith and Jones". While I wish that RTD had written Donna in a different place, if they were going to go with a UK opening, there was some nice symmetry to be had by having Donna starting in a walking-the-pavement crowd scene, and ending with her leaving in a TARDIS alleyway scene. This visual similarity neatly underscored the personality differences between Martha and Donna.

I really, really liked the Doctor's reluctance to take Donna onboard. That his temerity was inspired by a feeling of guilt over Martha was refreshing and not something I would've expected. If carried forward into the episodes where she actually appears — and why wouldn't it be? — then it, too, serves as foreshadowing, and not just the backwards glances at Rose last year.

And the scene of the Doctor being the porter for all Donna's bags was just priceless. Tennant was superbly subtle during that whole alleyway scene, right down to his "suitcase acting".

All that said, the basic plot of the episode fell pretty flat to me. And that's worrying, given that until this Christmas I was well pleased by all the RTD-penned episodes. It's an improvement on "Voyage of the Damned" — what the hell wouldn't be? — but judged solely on its own merits, it's his weakest opener. If this turns out to be the inconsequential appetizer at the beginning of a far grander meal, fair enough. But right now, I'm certainly not experiencing the same amount of joy I got even out of "Rose" or "New Earth", much less last year's grand opening.

Still this episode does do the one thing it absolutely had to do. It makes it very hard for the kneejerk critics of Catherine Tate to criticize her quite so easily as they have been doing ever since her return was announced. She's a fine actor, and this script served her very well indeed. It's notably harder after this episode to just throw a label of "Tegan" or "Mel" at her, and have it stick. The niche she's carving out for herself is significantly different than any other companion we've had. It promises to be quite a gloriously bumpy road — if we can just get a few good, original plots to go along with that, please.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 09:20 PM EDT
    Yes, it was indeed Slurm-tastic... I mean Bane-tastic... I mean... ehhh... not a great episode in all.

But the fact that it's the start of the much-awaited season four and it's HERE, I'll give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Those Adipose were ridiculous. Tiny marshmallow men from Ghostbusters.

Nope. Not good. But fun. I think it should have been a Sarah Jane Adventures episode, not a Who episode.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 09:20 PM EDT
    Well, it wasn't my favorite Doctor Who episode, but that sneaky, interesting bit at the end--wow, I wasn't expecting that. I knew certain things were coming but I didn't know that something would happen in the first episode (hopefully, I'm being cryptic enough so this is spoiler free).

All in all it was a good episode but not excellent (it definitely wasn't up to par with the season opener for BSG. That rocked!) Still I did love the bits with Donna's granddad and the part when she and the Doctor meet. That was handled rather well.

And thank God, thank God for the "I'm justing looking for a mate" bit. It's about time. Enough hanky panky/lovey dovey stuff in the Tardis.

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 10:37 PM EDT
    I just thought it weird to use the phrase "Mad Martha" on an episode that I got from someone named..."Mad Martha"

Coincidence?

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 11:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  gwensdad2003] I just thought it weird to use the phrase "Mad Martha" on an episode that I got from someone named..."Mad Martha"

Coincidence?

Laughing Out Loud I about fell out of my chair when I heard that line. I look for MMs -er, "row on the red-eye flight" yeah, that's it - whenever I "fly" during Doctor Who season.

Okay, now my NSHO: I loved it. It was fun, the Adiposians (or whatever they're called - I really miss having captions!) were adorable, there were comedy moments, serious moments, the works. Okay, it wasn't "Blink" or "Human Nature" but it's a new episode. One I hadn't seen.

I am content.

Pleased.

Off to watch it again. Wink

"There's room for one more..."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 11:48 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  gwensdad2003] I just thought it weird to use the phrase "Mad Martha" on an episode that I got from someone named..."Mad Martha"

Coincidence?

Yeah, I raised an eyebrow as well when I heard the MM reference.

Hmm...

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 01:05 AM EDT
    I also cracked up at the Mad Martha reference. She's my favorite red-eye pilot.

This will be brief. I just finished watching and it's midnight. I liked it. It wasn't fantastic, but it was enjoyable. I thought for sure the Doctor would give the sonic pen to Donna, but he tosses it in a bin? Sure, like some homeless guy won't find it. Ok.

Was Donna's Granddad the newsvender from Voyage of the Damned?

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 02:20 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    Was Donna's Granddad the newsvender from Voyage of the Damned?

Yes, if you noticed the credits (so quick) had a tribute to the actor that played Donna's dad. The Confidential goes into all the details of that actor's (Howard Attfield) death and adding Bernard Cribbins to the family.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored