The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Krillitane Action Figure Set
    Krillitane Action Figure Set
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4 EP1: Partners in Crime [Spoilers]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4 EP1: Partners in Crime [Spoilers] Views: 8675
     Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 02:42 AM EDT
    Oh and another couple of points. What was up with reusing the same (or if not exactly the same, damn near lookalike) corridors from "Runaway Bride"? Seriously, those shots of the Doctor and Donna running to find the maintenance closet could have been lifted straight out of "Bride". I mean if you're going to reuse a location, it really shouldn't have been from the last episode involving these two stars.

Also, the geography of that whole Rose scene was a little weird. So Donna throws the keys in a bin in the ''next street over'' from the car? Really? Why? And if Rose isn't on the same street as the TARDIS, what's she looking at? She's at a police barricade for a good few minutes after the Adipose incident concluded. Why? What's she possibly looking at from that vantage point that would've been so interesting? It's a neat trick that she's in the episode at all, but I'm baffled at this early stage in the season why she would have particularly been there.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 02:58 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] ...

Also, the geography of that whole Rose scene was a little weird. So Donna throws the keys in a bin in the ''next street over'' from the car? Really? Why? And if Rose isn't on the same street as the TARDIS, what's she looking at? She's at a police barricade for a good few minutes after the Adipose incident concluded. Why? What's she possibly looking at from that vantage point that would've been so interesting? It's a neat trick that she's in the episode at all, but I'm baffled at this early stage in the season why she would have particularly been there.

I too found this a little confusing as well. I was left with the same questions, especially what was Rose looking at?

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 03:51 AM EDT
    I gather from now having listened to the commentary that the reason for this odd geography is probably a rather practical one. The copy of the episode they delivered to the BBC for pre-publicity purposes didn't have the Rose scene. It was crafted in such a way that it could've been easily removed (and re-added). If that's the price of surprise I guess it's a reasonable one, even if it is a bit odd narratively.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 05:24 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    And what about that ship!

Straight out of 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'

Cheers, daveac

Given the number of spaceships which have been appearing over London, in Doctor Who, how long before a "civil enforcement officer" will be telling them "Oi! You can't park that there."

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 05:45 AM EDT
    I thought it was good.

I liked Donna a lot, Sarah Lancashire was very good, the dialogue was good, and the Bernard Cribbins scenes were great.

The Adipose themselves were just daft for me. I quite like the idea of a human fat stealing being, that's quite a scary concept; but to then make them into cutey little things that make childish noises and slide down the bonnet's of Taxis going "Wheeeeeeeee"- please! Think of the Dodo Parasites from Primeval, and how totally uncomfortable the scenes were in which Connor's mate was carrying one - genuinely skin crawlingly horrible; and yet the Adipose birth scenes were pathetically weak (unless they were made for and specificially aimed at the children viewers).

[Quote  by:  tarashnat] I think that the Adipose plush toys would be a huge hit, if they decide to make any..

I think it's nailed on. Whilst I wouldnt go so far as to say its why they were created, once they had been cast, the sheer childishness of them probably had an eye on the marketing!

All in all I liked it - I'm slightly surprised it was deemed strong to be a season opener though.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 08:41 AM EDT
    Hate the new version of the Theme and I really do mean I hate it !

I can't say I particularly liked the story ( like most Russell T Davies scripts ) or it's CG critters but there was a nice moment between Donna and her grandfather and it's nice to see Bernard Cribbins in Doctor Who again and special mention must go to Catherine Tate who was actually reasonable ( well compared tom her last appearance in the show anyway, she's still a bit loud at times ) in this episode and nowhere as annoying as I feared she might be.

and the spaceship........very Close Encounters !

and there was a rather unwelcome reappearance of someone we've seen before at the end of the episode, I actually picked it about halfway through the episode, I'll be interested to know if else spotted it before the episode ended.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 08:48 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    I too found this a little confusing as well. I was left with the same questions, especially what was Rose looking at?

Maybe she had been looking at the spaceship and then was looking for signs of either the Tardis or the Doctor.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 10:13 AM EDT
    I thought it was ok...not great...just like most of S3. Dave mentioned the "Close Encounters" reference, and I immediately thought of that as well. I was also surprised to see Rose so early in the series. I wasn't expecting her until the finale storyline. Loved the Mad Martha line - I'm sure most of us are familiar with her work.

Donna wasn't as bad as I remembered. It's still early and plenty of time for that to change, but she was tolerable. I liked their 1st encounter together - with The Doctor outside the window, and Donna by the door. It was funny reading their lips trying to figure out what they were saying.

The Adipose were kind of too kiddy to me. This almost felt more like a Torchwood episode rather than Doctor Who. Not that Torchwood is kiddy - I really enjoyed series 2 a lot - but it just had the feel of a TW enemy. Unfortunately I'm sure we haven't seen the last of them...maybe not this series, but probably in a later series...and maybe in their adult form.

Anyway, it's good to have Who back, even if not in it's top form...

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 11:36 AM EDT
    I don't think this information counts as a spoiler for the future, since the BBC have officially released it and it is now a past event. Nevertheless, here comes the white, just to be extra cautious:

For fans of season long continuity, David Tennant and Catherine Tate say in the commentary that there's something important at about 11:27 with respect to the taxi driver. I have avoided any spoilers and so don't want to invite people who know more about the future to rush in with their spoiled notions of the future. But, as this information has already aired, I'll just say look carefully at the front and rear windows of the cab for a clue about the future. (You're gonna need to use frame-by-frame advance to spot it, probably.)

Incidentally, as a big fan of the BBC commentaries, can I just go on record as saying that while the episode was fairly mediocre for me, this is the funniest damned commentary they've yet produced. It may well be the funniest commentary for any story ever since commentaries were introduced to the DVD releases. The obvious off-screen chemistry between Tate and Tennant made me feel better about the next 12 weeks than the episode itself did.

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 12:11 PM EDT
    adorable. that's about all I can say. Love the interaction between the two. Enjoyed the "Mate" bit and just hope they do keep these two as mates and nothing more!

I've deciding that I'm going for the idea that Rose is EVIL. I don't want her back, and I really hope she isn't the series long "Bad Wolf," but I hope this is evil-Rose. Somehow, it has to be!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 12:36 PM EDT
    4 out of 5 stars for me.
    Wonderful episode if a bit Slurmtastic. (drink it)
    And yes would have been a great Sara Jane storyline.

Happy to see they addressed the companion in love issue.
    Nice to see Donna will not be drooling all over David for the season hoping to mate with him. I know a lot of people have raised big issues with Donna, but I think she might be great. I for one am tired of the companions always agreeing and drooling, I hope Donna is the new long haired Tegan.

The one thing I kept saying over and over to my mate... hee hee, is that this episode is just full to the brim with foreshadowing about the season. And they you know who turns around and I screamed see what I mean!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 12:39 PM EDT
    *FiNALlY*!!! The Entire-Fate-Of-Humanity was NOT at stake in this episode - All I can say is Hoooo-raaay! I am so happy about that, and had they thrown in some crap towards the end about the planet almost being blown up or the Adipose gobbling up everybody, I would have just about had it. But they didn't screw up!

Anyhow, Yay! The Doctor is back! What a great opener! It was a real treat - I thought it was naff and twee and sentimental and I loved it. In particular the corny little bit at the end waving out the Tardis door at her Grandpa. I liked it. A lot. So nya! Ultimately Doctor Who is a family show and they've got to satisfy a wide range of viewers/ages and I think they did a super job. Well done!Smile

I wasn't a fan of Donna but happily I've changed my mind. I think it's going to be really fun having her in the Tardis. I never minded the romantic tension stuff as much as other viewers, I know, but all things in their own time and it was well time for that to be finished - we're "Back to Normal" so to speak.

And Mad4plaid - Have there been rumors that the Rose coming back is an evil-Rose alter-ego or alien in disguise trying to trap the Doctor? OoOoooooo!!!!

Sooo, no lukewarm review for me. It was big thumbs up. And yes, I would like a stuffed Adipose, please.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 12:45 PM EDT
    i actually shuddered when Rose came into shot, i had no idea, and it took me totally off guard.
    Yes her timing and geography was a bit off, but then i didnt much like the way Donna and Doctor kept missing each other at the beginning, so i hope this doesnt happen again.
    Anyone else go squueee?

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 01:36 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] adorable. that's about all I can say. Love the interaction between the two. Enjoyed the "Mate" bit and just hope they do keep these two as mates and nothing more!

Although everyone was literally queueing up to throw cabbages at her afterwards, I thought the interaction between them in the Christmas show was absolutely marvellous too. Admittedly it was the shouting version of Donna and I think everyone seemed to focus on that, without actually appreciating just how sharp and witty they were together. It was great (as it was last night). Although early days, I think he works at least as good with CT as he did with either BP or FA.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 02:30 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] *FiNALlY*!!! The Entire-Fate-Of-Humanity was NOT at stake in this episode - All I can say is Hoooo-raaay! I am so happy about that, and had they thrown in some crap towards the end about the planet almost being blown up or the Adipose gobbling up everybody, I would have just about had it. But they didn't screw up!

Actually, it was at stake, it is just that the Doctor and Donna got to them before they could get the pill out to most of humanity, so, yes the entire fate of humanity was at stake. It was just that the threat was defused before it escalated too far.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored