The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Noel Clarke
    Noel Clarke
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4 EP1: Partners in Crime [Spoilers]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4 EP1: Partners in Crime [Spoilers] Views: 8704
     Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 05:13 AM EDT
    Something's been niggling at me since i saw this episode again last night...

What's with the Doctor taking on these menacing alien forces on his own all of a sudden?
    He doesn't seem to want to involve UNIT, who were, dont't forget, his 'Foster' (hehe) family for a few years back in the 70's, and now with Gallifrey gone, it seems a bit weird that he doesn't seem to want to rejoin an institution that holds him in quite high regard.

In fact, we saw the same thing in "Smith and Jones" where he checks himself into hospital.
    (not too mention "School Reunion", "Love and Monsters", the Ghostbusters bit of "Army of Ghosts", "Lazarus Experiment" and the end of "Blink") in fact, all of the present day stories set on Earth, he seems to be a one man show! with his blinky light toys and timey-wimey crap.

I'm not sure if this is a definite move from the production team to exclude UNIT and the extra back stories and/or time on screen to the new fans, or maybe it's a trait of the Tenth Doctor's personality that he doesn't want to get involved with UNIT, much like Doctor 9 at Number 10 in "Aliens of London"

Or maybe i'm just looking too much into it?

What say you all?

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 06:11 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny] Something's been niggling at me since i saw this episode again last night...

What's with the Doctor taking on these menacing alien forces on his own all of a sudden?
    He doesn't seem to want to involve UNIT, who were, dont't forget, his 'Foster' (hehe) family for a few years back in the 70's, and now with Gallifrey gone, it seems a bit weird that he doesn't seem to want to rejoin an institution that holds him in quite high regard.

In fact, we saw the same thing in "Smith and Jones" where he checks himself into hospital.
    (not too mention "School Reunion", "Love and Monsters", the Ghostbusters bit of "Army of Ghosts", "Lazarus Experiment" and the end of "Blink") in fact, all of the present day stories set on Earth, he seems to be a one man show! with his blinky light toys and timey-wimey crap.

I'm not sure if this is a definite move from the production team to exclude UNIT and the extra back stories and/or time on screen to the new fans, or maybe it's a trait of the Tenth Doctor's personality that he doesn't want to get involved with UNIT, much like Doctor 9 at Number 10 in "Aliens of London"

What say you all?

So since when did UNIT hold the Doctor in high regard exactly ?, certainly Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Mike Yates, Sergeant Benton and company did but they weren't the entire organisation, I seem to recall there were members of both the British government and UNIT who didn't trust the Doctor and now he dosen't have Lethbridge-Stewart to act on his behalf.

Also lets not forget the modern UNIT seems to have some ties to TORCHWOOD who aren't exactly the Doctor's greatest fans.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 07:14 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Shayne_A]
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny] Something's been niggling at me since i saw this episode again last night...

What say you all?

So since when did UNIT hold the Doctor in high regard exactly ?, certainly Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Mike Yates, Sergeant Benton and company did but they weren't the entire organisation, I seem to recall there were members of both the British government and UNIT who didn't trust the Doctor and now he dosen't have Lethbridge-Stewart to act on his behalf.

Also lets not forget the modern UNIT seems to have some ties to TORCHWOOD who aren't exactly the Doctor's greatest fans.

Ummm...Since "The Christmas Inavsion," when Harriet Jones and the Major are talking about him.
    Also, let's not forget that Torchwood's been disbanded, the only Torchwood left is Cardiff, run by one Captain Jack, who lurrrves the Doctor, are you a bit behind in your Who Shayne?

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 08:30 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]

What say you all?

Ummm...Since "The Christmas Inavsion," when Harriet Jones and the Major are talking about him.
    Also, let's not forget that Torchwood's been disbanded, the only Torchwood left is Cardiff, run by one Captain Jack, who lurrrves the Doctor, are you a bit behind in your Who Shayne?

But Harriet Jones already had a pre-existing relationship with the Doctor by that point so once again you have a high powered official to act on his behalf, it's been ages since I've seen the Christmas Invasion but I didn't get the impression that the Major particularly cared for the Doctor one way or the other.

Also while I must admit I haven't been paying as much attention to TORCHWOOD I was under the impression that Cardiff wasn't the only remaining branch so it would be that same thing again Captain Jack likes the Doctor, not TORCHWOOD.

I must admit I've only been watching Doctor Who since the early 70's but I don't think I've missed anything Laughing Out Loud

In fact one of the local TV channels here recently re-broadcast all the surviving complete Doctor Who stories from The First Doctor onwards ( except for a couple of Dalek stories and Wargames ) and I bought my first DVD recorder for the occasion.

Basically I think this new Doctor will only turn to UNIT as a last resort because now there is no-one there he trusts.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 08:47 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]Also, let's not forget that Torchwood's been disbanded, the only Torchwood left is Cardiff, run by one Captain Jack, who lurrrves the Doctor, are you a bit behind in your Who Shayne?

Torchwood disbanded? I think not.

Torchwood One, London - Destroyed in "Battle of Canary Wharf"
    Torchwood Two, Glasgow - Run by or indeed possibly composed of only a "very strange man"
    Torchwood Three, Cardiff - Run by Jack since the turn of the century.
    Torchwood Four, location unknown - I persume it was in Northern Ireland but it went missing.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 09:09 AM EDT

Here is the last of this weeks 3 podcasts.

Partners in crime!

here

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 09:28 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]Also, let's not forget that Torchwood's been disbanded, the only Torchwood left is Cardiff, run by one Captain Jack, who lurrrves the Doctor, are you a bit behind in your Who Shayne?

Torchwood disbanded? I think not.

Torchwood One, London - Destroyed in "Battle of Canary Wharf"
    Torchwood Two, Glasgow - Run by or indeed possibly composed of only a "very strange man"
    Torchwood Three, Cardiff - Run by Jack since the turn of the century.
    Torchwood Four, location unknown - I persume it was in Northern Ireland but it went missing.

Oh good, it's just not me imagining things, I was sure there were still other branches of TORCHWOOD out there.

Do we know for sure that Jack has been running TORCHWOOD Three since the turn of the century ( I'm only about halfway through season 2 ) or did he leave and then come back ?, given how paranoid TORCHWOOD used to be once they realised Jack wasn't getting any older it's a wonder they didn't try to dissect him or something.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 09:41 AM EDT

Oh good, it's just not me imagining things, I was sure there were still other branches of TORCHWOOD out there.

Do we know for sure that Jack has been running TORCHWOOD Three since the turn of the century ( I'm only about halfway through season 2 ) or did he leave and then come back ?, given how paranoid TORCHWOOD used to be once they realised Jack wasn't getting any older it's a wonder they didn't try to dissect him or something.

Keep going, all (well at least what you are asking) will be revealed in S2 of TW.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 10:03 AM EDT
    4 out of 5
    Good Things
    The first time the Doctor & Martha see each other & start miming to each other. That had me in stiches.
    The line "Your a journalist, make it up"
    Sarah Lancashire, Smokin !!!! The CGI. Rose at the end, I didn't see that coming. Bernad Cribbins, an English institution. The Doctor trying to save the baddie, made a change. The bit on the window cleaning machine, I was gripping the sofa.
    Bad Things
    The spaceship. As others have said it was a rip off of Close Encounters. Donna waving out of the TARDIS. Major cheese, bad cheese, it stunk.
    A goodie not a classic. Looking forward to next week.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 11:56 AM EDT

What say you all?
    Well, it's definitely not a trait exclusive to the Tenth Doctor. The Fourth Doctor was pissed about being called back by the Brig in "Terror of the Zygons". He certainly didn't turn to UNIT in "Logopolis", where they would've been obviously useful obtaining clearances for the Pharos Project. And the Fifth didn't turn to UNIT even when the Daleks were threatening late 20th century Earth in "Resurrection of the Daleks", nor did the Sixth seek their help when the Cybermen were on the prowl. Even the Seventh wasn't actively looking for UNIT in "Battlefield"; he just used his past association to get closer to the source of the mystery in the story.

I think it's fairly well established that the regeneration of Pertwee severed ties fairly completely, although he did leave behind a communicator in case they needed his help in a pinch.

Even the relationship with the Third Doctor was pretty prickly. It's a love-hate thing from the Doctor's perspective. Had the Third had the ability to storm off in his TARDIS, he would've left UNIT in the dust at the conclusion of "Doctor Who and the Silurians", in exactly the same way that the Tenth Doctor turned so quickly on Harriet Jones. The only Doctor that really seemed to unreservedly like UNIT was really the Second.

The Doctor's new series reluctance to entertain the services of UNIT might best be explained by a line that the 9th Doctor says in "World War III". Apparently all his 2006-era friends at UNIT were killed by the Slitheen at the end of "Aliens of London". And he had to have some friends from the early 21st century; he doesn't exactly hack into UNIT computers. he uses an established password. Considering that system probably postdates his adventures with UNIT by at least a decade, it suggests he was given the code by someone from the post-Lethbridge-Stwart UNIT.

Still, given events in Torchwood series 2, which I won't spoil in this thread, he has some sway at UNIT even into 2009. And "Aliens of London" and "The Christmas Invasion" still retain a measure of interest in his location, given this whole "code 9" business.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 12:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  shockeye07] The first time the Doctor & Martha see each other & start miming to each other. That had me in stiches..

Freudean slip??? Wink

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 06:04 PM EDT

Not to hijack this thread with Torchwood discussion, but I just wanted to share my amusement at myself as I realized that the "turn of the century" discussed above did not mean 1901, but 2001! (I must be older than I thought.)

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 07:32 PM EDT
    Well on Digital Spy 'WillowFae' posted a link to 'how to make your own Adipose:-

here

So ExtermaKnitter get knitting!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 07:53 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]
    [Quote  by:  Shayne_A]Do we know for sure that Jack has been running TORCHWOOD Three since the turn of the century ( I'm only about halfway through season 2 ) or did he leave and then come back ?, given how paranoid TORCHWOOD used to be once they realised Jack wasn't getting any older it's a wonder they didn't try to dissect him or something.

Keep going, all (well at least what you are asking) will be revealed in S2 of TW.

I was about to reply to Shayne's post, but yours got me curious, too. I only just started watching Something Borrowed, so now I have your little hint of something interesting coming up. My interest in Torchwood is a lot lower than it was the first series.

Shayne's question about how long Jack has been at the Cardiff location cracked me up, because I just was rewatching Boom Town yesterday and when the Doctor, Rose, Jack, and Mickey were standing around outside the TARDIS I wondered aloud to my wife if that meant there were two Jacks there...one above ground with the Doctor and one below ground with Torchwood. Big Grin

[Quote  by:  rocko]Not to hijack this thread with Torchwood discussion, but I just wanted to share my amusement at myself as I realized that the "turn of the century" discussed above did not mean 1901, but 2001! (I must be older than I thought.)

I assumed turn of the last century, too, since Jack's vortex manipulator took from whatever year Bad Wolf/Parting took place to the early 1900s. But I guess it was implied he wasn't actually working for Torchwood all that time.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 08 2008 @ 08:06 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] Shayne's question about how long Jack has been at the Cardiff location cracked me up, because I just was rewatching Boom Town yesterday and when the Doctor, Rose, Jack, and Mickey were standing around outside the TARDIS I wondered aloud to my wife if that meant there were two Jack's there...one above ground with the Doctor and one below ground with Torchwood. Big Grin

Well I'd always assumed that there were two Jacks at that time although the Jack that was running TORCHWOOD at that time may have made a point of being elsewhere around the time Boomtown takes place so as to not endanger the timeline.

I was quite aware that season 2 delves into Jack's backstory a bit and establishes that Jack had been involved with TORCHWOOD for quite some time ( so far I've only watched the first 5 episodes of season 2 ), what I was curious about was if he just used the identity of Captain Jack Harkness or if he used different identities over the years to try and hide the fact he is basically immortal or if the powers that be within TORCHWOOD knew who and what he was.

I guess there were also two Jacks during World War II including the events of The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored