The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Wallpaper 05
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Wallpaper 05
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Pure Historicals
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Pure Historicals Views: 1389
     Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 03:09 AM EDT
    Being a big fan of the purely historical stories (look at how well the Hartnell episodes worked and how good the Big Finish attempts are) and remembering the programme's original brief, I was wondering what time/place in history would make an excellent purely historical story in the new series.
    Here are a few ideas:
    1. The Russian Revolution - riding around on trains with Lennin.
    2. World War I - a murder mystery in the trenches?
    3. Following Walter Raleigh on the hunt for El Dorado
    4. Victorian England - given that it seems to be a big favourite with RTD and to work well to boot - how about a Christmas Special with the Doctor uncovering the truth behind Jack the Ripper?
    Any other ideas?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 03:46 AM EDT
    Oh, tons of ideas, me. Here are three — all, admittedly, America-centric:

• The Doctor goes to see Ben Franklin during the latter's treason trial in London. Following the trial, Franklin gets off the fence and throws in his lot with the American revolutionaries, thanks to something the Doctor does.

• Having been separated from the TARDIS in the mid-1860s, the Doctor is forced to travel by steamer across the Pacific. On board the Ajax, he meets a young reporter named Samuel Clemens from the Sacramento Union who's making his way across the Pacific en route to the Sandwich Islands. The two get into various humorous adventures described in various extant letters. When they make it to Hawaii, their hitherto light-hearted adventures end when they witness the sinking of a vessel offshore. Powerless to help, both the Doctor and the man who would become Mark Twain learn that sometimes, despite the best of intentions, there are simple injustices that cannot be righted.

• If I said the word "Croatan", would that immediately conjure up a Doctor Who historical mystery just begging to be written? (Though in fairness, the mystery of the Lost Colony) probably fairly screams, "psuedo-historical" more than "pure historical". Still, it could be a lightly pseudo-historical story and still be great.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 09:55 AM EDT
    Nice ideas. Or how about:
    1. The Doctor finds himself caught up as a suspect in the Gunpowder Plot - a good excuse for a bonfire night special.
    2. Or the Doctor winds up in a prison of war camp sans TARDIS and has to use his ingenuity to escape (come on the Nazis are a real untapped element in Doctor Who - admirable really that they've managed to resist for so long). It would be a perfect forum to teach the kids of today the dangers of Fascism.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 10:04 AM EDT
    I'd still love to see the Doctor meet some vikings. The twist would be that actually most vikings were farmers Frown

I *do* Love pure historicals but I also do like when storytellers tell their own version of the "real" events that inspired a popular folktale. I'd like to see a story arc in which The Doctor meets a woman from the far-future earth or possibly even a nearby terraformed planet like Mars or Venus. She tags along in the TARDIS for a few adventures - maybe trying to untangle one giant mystery or something - just until they wind up up in ancient Ireland where she falls in love with a local boy, Oisín. Who is this girl? It's Níamh Chinn Óir! They fight some aliens, blah blah blah - then afterwards, when they've solved the mystery & saved the day - Níamh and Oisín convince The Doctor to drop them back on Níamh's homeworld.

For those of you unfamiliar with the legend - well basically Oisín is an iconic poet-warrior who fell in love with a fairy miaden (Níamh). They ran away to her homeworld of Tir na nÓg.

There's a time-travel element to the tale which is part of why I'd like to see it on Doctor Who. After a while Oisín misses Ireland so returns home for a visit, just to look, but he can't get off his horse or he'll never be able to return to Tir na nÓg. Of course he falls off his horse and instantly ages 300 years. Now a decrepit old man, a priest finds him & takes care of him. Oisín tells tells the priest all the tales of old Ireland & the priest winds up being St. Patrick.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 10:05 AM EDT
    Sir Isaac Newton was obsessed with learning the secrets of alchemy- maybe he witnessed the Doctor perform some technological feat that resembled alchemy. (I'm also a big Newton buff.) I'd also like to see th Doctor meet up with Newton, look over his shoulder at whatever Newton is working on and mutter something to himself like, "Mm hmm... Well, a few infinite sums should fix THAT problem right up..."

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 10:33 AM EDT
    Or the Doctor separated from the TARDIS (a la Marco Polo) as a plot device and the story involves a long journey through perilous terrain in order be reunited with his precious time machine.
    1. A fault with the TARDIS could place the Doctor and his companions in 1950s Soviet Russia and the TARDIS in Italy. They might need to take the Orient Express, dodging Soviet agents in order to be reunited.
    2. Or again - the Walter Raleigh idea above. The TARDIS has materialised without the Doctor in the heart of El Dorado and the Doctor would need to join an expedition of cut-throats and mercenaries in order to find it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 10:48 AM EDT
    A honey bee accidentally flies into the CERN particle accelerator & is somehow transported into a remote spaceship. While buzzing around the space-ship's greenhouse, it takes the opportunity to land on some pretty interesting looking flowers.

A friendly subordinate gardener alien on the ship realizes what's happened and returns the bee to earth. To 18th Century Sweden. Oops. The head gardener finds out what happened & they race back to earth to fetch the contaminated bee. Unfortunately it's too late. The bee has already pollinated one of young Carl Linnaeus's plants with the otherworldly pollen & created a strange alien plant. Mayhem ensues. The Doctor picks up some strange readings - shows up - helps save the day. Carl Linnaeus invents taxonomy.

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 10:52 AM EDT
    Oh and John Cushnie & Bob Flowerdew would be the alien gardeners.

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 12:11 PM EDT
    Hoping to do a long historical in my fan fic series. It will have the two companions having to accompany LEWIS AND CLARK on their trip throughout most of the five years! In my story, the companions don't age normally because of the TARDIS, a new thing in it. THey have to go on the expedition because one of the members, they don't know which one yet, has the shrunken TARDIS in his pocket...and probably the Doctor in it too. Of course, it isn't going to be totally pure historical because I think I'm going to include 1 of the splinters of the Jacoroth in the expedition.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 12:12 PM EDT
    I'd like to see a really "alien" far out there historical such as places and times we only rarely think about such as the far far past of present day countries.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 12:34 PM EDT
    I'd love to see the TARDIS wind up on a ship that was searching for the Northwest Passage in northern Canada. The Henry Hudson story would be great for that.

Has the Doctor ever met Napoleon? That would be fantastic - probably a rather pricey episode, but totally worth it.

I'd love to see one about the very beginning of Hollywood, a la the biopic Chaplin, but I don't think you could really make a "pure" historical about it.

Ancient Egypt has an infinite number of stories you could tell.

Curious, what are some of the Big Finish pure historicals?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 12:56 PM EDT
    Marian Conspiracy
    Fires of Vulcan (when the Doctor first visits Pompeii!)
    The Church and the Crown
    The Council of Nicaea
    Colditz (just about)
    Son of the Dragon (I think but haven't listened to this yet)

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 01:57 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sarahbot]
    Has the Doctor ever met Napoleon? That would be fantastic - probably a rather pricey episode, but totally worth it.

No, the Doctor didn't actually meet him but he did appear at the very end of the Reign of Terror

I'd love to see the Doctor end up in the middle of the English Civil War.

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 02:37 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  backintheussr6]

I'd love to see the Doctor end up in the middle of the English Civil War.

He did but I can't remember the name of it. My sister had the hardcover book version of it. I'm pretty sure they went back to visit Tegan's grandfather but the English village he's from somehow got on a time mix-up and while they were doing English CivilWar reinactment and Tegan was going to be Queen of the May (and be killed!) and some other stuff was happening including a big stone face... oh nevermind, I can't remember exactly Smile I'm probably getting it all mixed up.

Saturday, April 12 2008 @ 03:10 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] I'd still love to see the Doctor meet some vikings. The twist would be that actually most vikings were farmers Frown

Sounds like you should watch The Time Meddler, anachronistic horned helmets and everything...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored