The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Ben Righton at Who in the Cavern 3
    Ben Righton at Who in the Cavern 3
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4 EP2: The Fires of Pompeii [Spoilers]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4 EP2: The Fires of Pompeii [Spoilers] Views: 5452
     Sunday, April 13 2008 @ 03:41 AM EDT
    Now I want more episodes like that, a lot more !, I'm not sure if I consider this to be the best episode of the new Doctor Who yet or not but it comes close and it'll certainly be hard to beat.

I'm now convinced that despite my original horror at the idea that Donna could grow into one of the better companions featured in Doctor Who's entire history.

"I'm Spartacus" indeed Laughing Out Loud

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 13 2008 @ 04:09 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Shayne_A] "I'm Spartacus" indeed Laughing Out Loud

Yes, that was a nice line Smile

I enjoyed this one (4 Tardis groans). Much, much better than Partners In Crime (1.5 Tardis groans). And Catherine Tate was just knock out. Her acting at the end when she had tears streaming down her face and was begging the Doctor to save "just one of them" had a lump in my throat. I'm sure I read somewhere once that she's RSC trained. In that scene you could really see she's can be a great serious actress.

A good supporting cast too, I'd love to see Caecilius and his family pop up again sometime.

I'd also like to see a straight historical story again one day. Pompeii would have been an exciting enough event as it was without introducing aliens into the bargain so this would have been a good one to do it with. If I recall the Big Finish "Fires Of Vulcan" was purely historical and was a nice little adventure.

Great special effects from the Mill here. There was one shot in particular from the hill of the smoke billowing over the town which was just awesome.

Anyway, gets a big tick and a gold star from me Smile

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 13 2008 @ 10:35 AM EDT
    This was a great story. More info given on The Doctors past. I don't care what his name is to tell you the truth. More hints about "Her". I think this season has kicked off to a good start.

I agree with alot of people on this thread about the Rani. But in Doctor Whos world they keep the good stuff till the end of the seires. I just have a feeling that she will be back one day. Remember, It's Doctor Who they could bring the Master back to if they want. He could have put himself or a regeneration of himself in a rift in time and space. Whatever that means. But I give this episode 5/5 T.G.

I see that planet of the Ood looks to be on Earth from the next week trailer. A little bummed about that.

Remember Me To Gallifrey!! Be sure to check Out the Phase Abandon Podcast on TalkShoe.com
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, April 13 2008 @ 12:21 PM EDT
    Fantastic, this was the episode to give Donna some depth. I'm sure she's convinced many of the doubters now.

Like many others have said, a great script with funny moments, the Fawlty Towers reference was fab: "She's from Barcelona".

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 13 2008 @ 01:18 PM EDT
    Fantastic.

Beautiful.

Hard choices, and hard decisions. That was a fantastic script and I thought Tate and Tennnant were wonderful. I think my favorite aspect of the story was that we saw so many facets of the Doctor's personality on display. We got to see the playful, the inquisitive, the thoughtful, the remorseful, and the resolute. Tennant must have loved sinking his teeth into this one.

I really thought Donna came across well in this episode. Tate was in an unfavorable position after the Runaway Bride, and she has had to fight off the preconceived notion of what her character would eventually turn into. I am so excited for the rest of this season. Not that I wouldn't have been anyway, but I really wasn't enthralled with the first episode of the season. After this one though, I am chomping the bit to get to next week.

Formerly that jerk Jagoscourage
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 13 2008 @ 03:24 PM EDT
    Ok, initial thoughts before I read through the thread. Wow!! What a fantastic episode. Definitely getting a five-groan rating from me. Donna is awesome. I thought the story was pretty epic. The special effects were phenominal. It's too bad this couldn't have been the season premiere somehow. I'm wondering if the marble "house gods" image of the Doctor and Donna will turn up again in some future episode after it was dug up in the remains of Pompei. All of the spoken Latin translating into Welsh was funny.

[Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    What an awesome episode. I just loved the reference to The Romans.

Is The Romans one of the ones available as an audio with linking narration?

[Quote  by:  tarashnat]The Syballine sect was very Sisterhood of Karn-like, even down to the chanting—"Words of wisdom, words of power!" (Sacred flame, sacred fire!)

I also noticed the similarities with Shakespeare Code and I was worried that this episode would be a lame retelling of it like the first couple of seasons sometimes felt like (i.e. Shakespeare Code similar to Unquiet Dead). Luckily I was wrong.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 13 2008 @ 03:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Dangermouse] Fantastic, this was the episode to give Donna some depth. I'm sure she's convinced many of the doubters now.

Like many others have said, a great script with funny moments, the Fawlty Towers reference was fab: "She's from Barcelona".

I didn't think of Fawlty Towers with this line - though it makes sense now. I thought of the planet of Barcelona where the Doctor #9 was taking Rose before he regenerated into "where were we? Oh yes, Barcelona!"

I liked the other two tie-backs to previous episodes as well. "It's Volcano Day" from The Empty Child, and the "Sometimes I do need someone" from The Runaway Bride.

Other than that, all I could think of on first watch was: is that it? It's over already? crap.... which then led into the SECOND overexposure of John Barrowman of the day on BBCOne.... sigh.

Can't wait until next week.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 13 2008 @ 04:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    What an awesome episode. I just loved the reference to The Romans.
    Is The Romans one of the ones available as an audio with linking narration?

Well, it was available in it entirety, along with The Rescue on VHS video cassette. Not done as an audio yet.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, April 13 2008 @ 04:27 PM EDT
    So, how many times in the past has the Doctor visited someplace/sometime where he is already at? Yes, I'm assuming that Big Finish is canon, and that the Fires of Vesuvius counts.

With that in mind, I'd really like to hear the Doctor say "we can't stay - I'm already here!" sometime. Then sort of do a dance to avoid himself across the episode (yes, like Deep Space Nine went back into the Trouble with Tribbles - gimicky yes, but total fun!) Heck, the Doctor could do it with a Tom Baker episode and we would have that doctor back without having to trap him in time OR explaining his age change.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 13 2008 @ 05:46 PM EDT
    I think we can probably assume the mysterious woman who is coming is probably Rose with the lesser probability it's the Rani ( it'd be cool but I just don't quite buy them bringing her back this soon after the Master ).

Here's a couple of insane thoughts to chew on:

What if it was Rose who picked up the Master's ring at the end of Last of the Time Lords ?

What if it was Romana or Susan ( or the terrible Zodin Laughing Out Loud ) that was the mysterious woman that's coming ?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 13 2008 @ 07:06 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  actorguy] Absolutely flippin' fantastic! Shame about the commentary length - I'm sure the full length one will turn up somewhere somehow. But I wanted to listen to it on my way to work.

What's the story with the commentary? I noticed my iTunes hasn't downloaded a commentary for this ep yet. It's not a full ep? Or is that just what was broadcast on BBC7 and the actual download might be a full ep?

--

Scratch that. It has downloaded to my iTunes and I see that it's only 29:09 long. That's disappointing. Frown

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 13 2008 @ 08:14 PM EDT
    Hurray! This is a perfect example of how overall excellence can trump personal pet-peeves.

I am SUCH a predictable critic - as long as the whole planet is at stake and there are Messiah references, I'm probably going to boo & hiss a little. HOWEVER - I loved this episode!

"Then, the whole planet is at stake, thank you - that's all I needed to know." Wow, it's so exciting to hear David Tennant deliver a line I have so often shouted at the TV screen in resigned annoyance!

I did think the little image of The Doctor frozen in cryptonite-style housegod carving was a bit cheesy but it did not annoy me or resonate the same way previous "doctor as messiah/god" figure stuff has in the past. I always get at little thrill when the TARDIS shows up at the right moment.

The whole first half I was thinking about Snakedance - and I LOVED the arguments between Donna & The Doctor. The show has really been needing that sort of conflict. I genuinely laughed out loud at the "I am Spartacus" and I got all choked up at the end. Very nice range Smile

Excellent episode!

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Monday, April 14 2008 @ 04:17 AM EDT
    I think that the portrayal of the Doctor as a god at the end of the episode was easier to accept than in past episodes as this is what we would expect from a people in this time period. The Romans were notorious for appropriating Gods on a whim, just because they liked the sound of them or needed to fill a gap in the understanding of the world around them. Added to the fact that in this society, gods didn't just reside silently in heaven looking down at their craetion, they physically interacted with the world. The pompeiian family turned the doctor and donna into Gods as this is what they would naturally have done in order to rationalise what had happened to them.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 14 2008 @ 04:37 AM EDT
    ok.

the proficies...

1 she is coming back... thats rose so thats fine.
    but the one that woried me the most is...

there is something on your back...

EVERYONE must have thought "Planet of the Spiders" esp as it was a psychic who could see it.

thats a worry... mind you POTS isn't lined up for a release so the chances are its a different organism.

oh update on ATMOS... we now know what that is as its mentioned in DWM. Not sure if i should say because it becomes spoierrific if you apply logic.

but MOST importnant is the mention of "The Baby Balrog world being lost..." thats the second time a world has been LOST....

hmmm... thats the big one for me.

other than that...

FANTASTIC ep. Proving that Donna is actually... A Doctor Who fan. she acts like we would not like a companion. she asks the questions we would and thus we should (and will) embrace her.

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Monday, April 14 2008 @ 05:11 AM EDT
    4/5
    Liked: The CGI, it was gobsmacking, The Doctor having to decide to save people or not. Catherine Tate, now there's someting I never thought I would say. "Don't tell my dad Doctor", "I wont tell yours if you dont tell mine". Phil Davies. The Stone Monster.
    Didnt Like: The water pistol, to corny. The "luverly jubbily" cockney street trader.
    All in all a cracking adventure.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed