The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks ?
    Daleks ?
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4 E3: Planet of the Ood [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4 E3: Planet of the Ood [SPOILERS] Views: 4877
     Saturday, April 19 2008 @ 05:40 PM EDT

Well, you guys have done it now! All this talk of the Rani has given us the brain from Time and the Rani... be careful what you wish for, you may get it!

Will chime back on the episode later. I thought it was pretty good. Not excellent, like last week, but not horrible, either.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, April 19 2008 @ 05:57 PM EDT
    I liked this one a lot!

"There comes a time, Timelord, when every lonely little boy must learn how to dance"

Saturday, April 19 2008 @ 06:20 PM EDT
    this season just goes from strength to strength.

nice moral stance worthy of pertwee.

bit heavy handed with the foreshadowing but thats ok...

and Donna proving us wrong again.

an all round great effort. (though how the ood would have evolved like that is madness..lol)

nice to hear a senorites ref too!

Somewhere the tea is getting cold
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 19 2008 @ 07:34 PM EDT

Enjoyed the episode tonight - but I did get a long phone call in the middle - so had to let it 'record' before watching the seciond half.

So I think I need to watch this one again before making a full comment.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, April 19 2008 @ 11:28 PM EDT
    I really enjoyed this one. Finally off of Earth again! I also enjoyed seeing "Percy" (Tim McInnerny) as the bad guy. don't have a scene-by-scene breakdown, but I think holding your brain in your hand is really gross.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 19 2008 @ 11:57 PM EDT
    Wow. I really enjoyed this one. Very dark bits, for sure - the whole thing about gassing "the livestock" made me shiver. Eek!

I agree, it was nice to be off-Earth. And some really beautiful backgrounds (aside from the Ood factory itself - nonsensical form for what went on there). If I had a nice, warm, coat, I'd love to visit the planet of the Ood.

CI

"There's room for one more..."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 20 2008 @ 12:03 AM EDT
    hmmmm tentative .. thumbs.... sideways... on this one.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, April 20 2008 @ 12:10 AM EDT
    I thought this was a good episode. Nice to get off earth to a new planet.

Why does it seem like the Ood and the Weevils in Torchwood all shop in Aliens Big and Tall for those grey shirts and pants.

http://themedusacascadegazette.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 20 2008 @ 01:30 AM EDT
    Ok I know I have mentioned this to a few of you before. The Ood are VERY similar to a creation of Gary Gygax known as Mind Flayers or Illithids (First appearance "The Strategic Review #1, Spring 1975"). Obviously they are highly influenced by H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos in both cases but Ernest Gary Gygax (July 27, 1938 – March 4, 2008) got there first. Here is a 1990 cover dipicting a Mind Flayer -

Mind Flayer pic from 1990

Enjoyed the Episode but again we have the Doctor 'Mind Meld'. Ah well.

Cheers,
    Mike

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Sunday, April 20 2008 @ 01:53 AM EDT
    I thought the episode as a whole was kind of weak, with uninteresting guest characters and a somewhat lame plot.

However, I found the development of the Ood compelling enough that I enjoyed the episode quite a bit regardless of its flaws.

tawm.net: read it. (please?)

Sunday, April 20 2008 @ 03:01 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  LanaiaD] I thought this was a good episode. Nice to get off earth to a new planet.

Why does it seem like the Ood and the Weevils in Torchwood all shop in Aliens Big and Tall for those grey shirts and pants.

HA! I thought that too, until i saw this...

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Lol

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 20 2008 @ 04:03 AM EDT
    Bit of a mixed bag for me this one. Loved the snowy planet (last one since the Ribos operation, I believe) and love the Ood – for me the most iconic of the monsters from the new series so far. Great special effects – brilliant shot where the spaceship flies over Donna and the Doctor and fantastic chase through the warehouse as the robotic claw chases the Doctor. However, unfortunately, the episode seemed somehow less than the sum of its individual parts. Difficult to put my finger on what didn’t work for me – some over acting from Catherine Tate (she didn’t quite live up to last week’s promise) initially and the guy who played the chief guard. Then maybe the rationale behind the Ood themselves: what was the giant brain and how did that fit into their evolution (was it like a Queen Bee or something?) and how could a species with an external brain survive. Mmm ok, I could sort of buy that for the sake of the story but then there were the allusions to the Holocaust, which I don’t oppose, bur it’s just that if the Oods’ lives were so terrible then it makes the Doctor’s complete ignoring of their situation in The Impossible Planet, frankly, quite unforgiveable. I don’t mind a Doctor that makes mistakes but a Doctor who ignores the unjust slavery of an entire race jars with me. All in all then, a mixed bag as I said above – 3 out of 5 for me. As my old school reports used to say: Not bad but could do better.
    Or, if you pardon the terrible joke, didn't like the srvice but the Ood wasn't bad!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 20 2008 @ 05:18 AM EDT
    Well, I loved that on every level. It's one of the few times on Doctor Who where bringing back a race actually added something dramatically different to their legend. There was a genuine reason for this tale, quite apart from simple reuse. Second new writer, second success, in my opinion.

And, I've only watched it once, but am I right in thinking there were zero uses of the sonic screwdriver in this one? If so, is that a record for the new series?

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Sunday, April 20 2008 @ 07:39 AM EDT
    good little episode,i think they did well expanding on the ood culture,i love the fact they seem to be going for the balls on the corporate villany behind the fascistic 'humans' although i think they are underusing the mouth on donna which should be blasting these malevolent humans much more as they could bring in the classic putdowns style from the 3rd/4th doctor & brigadier era
    also that song in human didn't make sense coming from an alien lifeform,should have used electronic filter & fx to make it stranger
    overall enjoyable but could have had some more editing to sharpen it up a little more
    3.5/5 tardis groans
    i still don't dig the new logo on the titles,i think a more steam punk/alien a la giger,moebius,o'bannon,cobb stylie would have suited better..

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 20 2008 @ 08:37 AM EDT

Reminder:

We will be reviewing this episode on today's live segment recording for Doctor Who: Podshock.

Just us live at 12 EDT (US) when we review The Planet of the Ood...

Arrow here

We will do it again after it airs on the Sci-Fi Channel as well.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic