The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Cybercontroller on CyberThrone
    Cybercontroller on CyberThrone
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4 E4 The Sontaran Strategem [Spoilers]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4 E4 The Sontaran Strategem [Spoilers] Views: 3642
     Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 12:37 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] One thing: ANOTHER BLOODY EARTH IN DANGER EPISODE. HOw can they justify having Earth in danger SOOOO much every story and no one really ...well, not h aving the entire blood Earth change in the entire DW universe...?

Yay welcome to my club!!!! This is my continual gripe with the new series. I was just keeping my mouth shut on that point tonight because, well, I do tend to harp on about it.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 01:35 AM EDT
    I really enjoyed this one. I thought it did a great job of setting up the Sontarans as a legitimate threat. I always had the feeling in the old series that we never got a sense of scope with them. This felt like a massing army.

I was somewhat surprised with their treatment of the Doctor's relationship with the UNIT commander. I shouldn't be, but I half expected him to be a bit chummy. Given the evolution of the character over time, it makes all the sense in the world that he would turn his nose up at them.

If I had any complaints it was the use of the cloning tanks in the basement. It felt as if they were just taking the same story element from any number of other Who tales, most recently the Cybermen finale two seasons ago. Needless to say that is about as nitpicky as it gets.

I have really enjoyed the first part of the season despite what I felt was a lackluster first episode. We may be looking at the best overall season since the shows return.

Formerly that jerk Jagoscourage
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 03:31 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] uhm, yeah. One more thing : am I the only one who wanted a retired Brigidier to appear if only briefly?

Yes, absolutely or Benton for that matter. The one "companion" that I am sure we would all love to see back.
    Let's start the Bring Back the Brigadier Campaign!
    To be known as the BBBC!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 04:08 AM EDT
    I thought it was brilliant - my children were hiding behind cushions when that embryo thing came out of the green water!

I also wanted to see the Brigadier - maybe next week?

Also, did anyone notice the reference to "UNified Intelligence Taskforce" rather than "United Nations"?

Best so far this year Big Grin

P.S. It is of course possible that this message is a trap. If it is I can deal with it. P.P.S. I'm leaving this note in case I can't!

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 07:10 AM EDT
    I think this was the strongest episode so far this season. I'm not saying that it's flawless, far from it, but there was a lot to like. I've never been a big fan of Martha, but I was curious to see the interaction between her and Donna. Speaking of Donna, she is growing on me and I am liking her character as she's not madly in love with the Doctor and she can get right to the point. The Doctor's thinking she was leaving for good was pretty funny.

As for the smoke and the evil plan, well, that seemed weak to me. Why not just smash the window to get gramps out or tune the sonic screwdriver to smash the window? I understand that there needed to be a cliffhanger but it wasn't much of one.

But I would have loved to have seen a retired Brigadier or instead of a jeep Bessie was pulled out of the shop. Or at least a mention of Bessie. That would have been nice to see. Still, seeing UNIT back was nice. Reminded me of all the third doctor's shows.

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 08:44 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Question: WHY were the Sontarans invading Earth? For what reason?

Another race with a lost planet perhaps?

If there are at least 10 battle fleets - then millions of of Sontarans could have survived their planets disappearance (white textmaybe into Rose's universe)

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 08:55 AM EDT

Don't forget to download the commentary on iTunes - 44m 42s this time.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 09:22 AM EDT
    Yeah, the Doctor's treatment of UNIT's commander was a bit unsettling. Sure, he had a bad experience with UNIT under Harriet Jones, but keep in mind that the Doctor really has a deep affection for the Brigadier and Benton, though UNIT officers have disappointed him in the past.

In one story, UNIT officials betrayed him completely, with Lethbridge-Stewart's direct superior basically betraying the Earth, and Yates helped him.

And his dealings with UNIT as Sylvester McCoy were hardly as friendly.

But you'd think the disdain he showed UNIT in this episode would not be quite so absolute.

I like Martha Jones being a UNIT op though. I think she can turn them around, as she said. After all, she's kind of fresh back from a year-long walk of the Earth rallying the Earth's people, so I think she can handle it.

And the Doctor needs to sit down with Donna and tell her the story of the Troclifanes and how Martha saved the world - not that HE turned her into a soldier, but how she became one in order to save the earth.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 11:22 AM EDT
    I also noticed the "UNified Intelligence Taskforce" and like seanhuxter I couldn't quite figure out why he was so disdainful of U.N.I.T. - I mean, he did say that it used to be more "homespun" but surely a 30 year span of earth technology can't make that big of a difference to timelord eyes.

And anyway he did have big fun with U.N.I.T. in the 70's driving Bessie around or even that Whomobile thing - advocating high-protein breakfasts & killin' giant green bugs. Maybe he just enjoyed it more when he was the only one who knew what was going on. The new series has written itself into a hole with all the visible alien activity on earth and the age of innocence is gone. *poignant sniff*

Or maybe in light of recent high-profile youth gun violence the BBC thought it necessary to really drive home that The Doctor does not approve of guns.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 11:58 AM EDT

We are reviewing this now on Doctor Who: Podshock live on the internet here

Join us and let us know what you thought of The Sontaran Stratagem

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 04:40 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]
    The reunion between Gramps and Donna was extremely touching.

Oh and the UNIT soldier that helped the Doctor how about having a soldier as a companion in the future to add some new dynamic to the TARDIS?

Ditto and Ditto,
    It seems, IMO, that the production team are learning from their mistakes over the last 3 years and putting it right. Yet another strong episode this week with GREAT performances by everyone. I liked the whole using hypnotised humans, secret underground bases, UNIT (whoop), all very Classic Who.

Things i liked:
    UNIT;
    The Doctor's dialogue with Genius and the Sontarans (IN-TRU-DAH window lmao);
    Ross (more on that below);
    All the Donna stuff, she's not putting a foot wrong at the moment
    The return of Martha;
    The Doctor meets the family (Who?!);
    and UNIT. Big Grin

Things i didnt like:
    Martha's performance. As many of you have said, she was never going to be the strongest companion, and i dont think someone as hardened as her would scream like that after being held, yes scare factor, but no;
    UNIT soldiers all being armed to the teeth, including batons?!? And is there really need to still patrol with GLOVES? Even after they've secured the factory? I'm no military expert, but you get your 'grunts' to do all the gung-ho stuff, then send in your egg heads to solve the problems, isnt that why Martha called in the Doctor?
    -The Jeep scence, although great to see the Doctor in a car again, for someone who we had SEEN could override Killer Robot Angels(tm) at Christmas, he'd have no problems at all overriding the ATMOS system and stopping the Jeep, He was never going to get wet, not really wrth the tension.

and yes, it would be great to see Ross in the TARDIS, he had a good rappor with the Doctor, but there'd be issues with him having to keep the uniform on (not because i'm into that lol) otherwise it would ruin the whole character.

That said, i still loved it, 4.5/5 for me.

P.S. Did anyone do a Double Take when they saw the Colonel? Laughing Out Loud (Answers on a postcard)

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 05:02 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] But... oh... why couldn't Donna, the Doctor, or Donna's mom, think of picking up a rock and smashing a window?

anyone taking bets on that being the opening of next week's episode? That's what I hate about cliff-hangers sometimes, they solve the cliff-hanger with the most inane, obvious thing ("Go To Your Room!")

Besides that - I enjoyed the episode. It wasn't just corridor running this week! In fact, the only corridor I remember lead towards doom! (LOVED THAT!) I do hope that the strength of this episode continues next week and we don't have a serious fall off of the tension and story.

I guess I was surprised that the Atmos dealio is being dealt with during the 4-5 episodes. I had thought that this might lead to the year end mystery. Of course, the Sontaran's could simply be a pawn (prawn?) in a larger strategem being put forth by a worse enemy!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 05:12 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] Of course, the Sontaran's could simply be a pawn (prawn?) in a larger strategem being put forth by a worse enemy!

That could be, but who do you suppose? Dalek Caan perhaps?

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 28 2008 @ 02:37 AM EDT

Or maybe the Vardans looking for revenge mayhaps?

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, April 28 2008 @ 07:29 AM EDT
    I didn't have time to write last night, so these are my thoughts after sleeping on the episode. Yes, I am in Germany, but my wife's father has DSL so with a little help from my mad friend Martha, I was still able to watch.

So, I can't tell if the episode itself didn't work for me or if it was external factors. I was watching it on a German TV and the picture formatting wasn't very good. Things were squashed a little vertically. I didn't feel comfortable tinkering with my father-in-law's TV so I just let it go. Also, I couldn't tell if the color was off because of the TV or if it was the way the program actually looked. There seemed to be a very strange color-scheme. Was the program really so brightly colored with neon-like coloring? If so, that threw me off somewhat, too. It was late here and my father-in-law was in bed, so we didn't have the sound up very loud and my mother-in-law was a little chatty, so that may have impacted my enjoyment.

Of course, like someone else mentioned, I also didn't like Helen Raznor's Dalek two-parter, so when I saw her name in the credits I may have pre-judged the story. What else did she write? The Sontarans themselves were ok. They were a little shorter than I remembered. And their suits looked a little Trek:TNG. I think the helmets could have been better realized. They looked a little silly, as opposed to the Judoon helmets which I thought looked pretty cool. I liked seeing UNIT back, and that they still consider the Doctor as being on the payroll. I wanted to like Martha, but I don't think her appearances in Torchwood and here were all that great. Maybe I'll try to watch the ep again today by myself and with the sound turned up more. Oh, and I loved the bit with Donna telling the Doctor that she was going home and he thought she was leaving him. That was brilliant. I'll scan through the thread now looking for other things to reply to.

[Quote  by:  Chase] uhm, yeah. One more thing : am I the only one who wanted a retired Brigidier to appear if only briefly?

[Quote  by:  Idiom]Yes, absolutely or Benton for that matter. The one "companion" that I am sure we would all love to see back. Let's start the Bring Back the Brigadier Campaign! To be known as the BBBC!

Well, I've been pushing for the Brigadier to return for a while now. It's the fortieth anniversary of his first appearance in the Who-niverse and I keep hoping that they do something with him. This would seem to have been a perfect opportunity, but he is such a special character that I would prefer he get a proper appearance and not just be shoe-horned into a story for the sake of it.

[Quote  by:  timeflight] Also, did anyone notice the reference to "UNified Intelligence Taskforce" rather than "United Nations"?

Really? I must have missed that with my less-than-ideal viewing conditions. I know I heard something about the United Nations not letting them use the name (pathetic), but I would think they could have done something better than that.

[Quote  by:  seanhuxter] Yeah, the Doctor's treatment of UNIT's commander was a bit unsettling. Sure, he had a bad experience with UNIT under Harriet Jones, but keep in mind that the Doctor really has a deep affection for the Brigadier and Benton, though UNIT officers have disappointed him in the past.

In one story, UNIT officials betrayed him completely, with Lethbridge-Stewart's direct superior basically betraying the Earth, and Yates helped him.

And his dealings with UNIT as Sylvester McCoy were hardly as friendly.

But you'd think the disdain he showed UNIT in this episode would not be quite so absolute.

Are you referring to the Christmas Invasion story with Harriet Jones? That was Torchwood that blew up the aliens at the end. I thought his dealings with UNIT earlier in the story were ok. Or am I not remembering correctly?

I only remember the 3rd and 4th Doc episodes with UNIT. I don't think I've seen any 7th Doc stories. What story is the one I italicized above? Ok, can someone here compile a list of all UNIT stories? Feel free to include Big Finish stories if you want. Or if such a list already exists out on the net somewhere, please post a link. Big Grin

[Quote  by:  stjohnny]The Doctor's dialogue with Genius and the Sontarans (IN-TRU-DAH window lmao)

I was going to say that he stole that joke from Van Stratton, but he wasn't around to hear Van Stratton make that joke. Smile

Ok. I think this ep falls somewhere between Partners in Crime and Planet of the Ood. Not great, but not terrible. I think I rank the episodes to date, best to worst, as: 2, 3, 4, 1. But maybe after a second, better, viewing this one will fair better.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored