The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Louis Volunteering at WLIW during Doctor Who (pre-Embassy)
    Louis Volunteering at WLIW during Doctor Who (pre-Embassy)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4 Ep: 5 The Poison Sky [Spoilers]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4 Ep: 5 The Poison Sky [Spoilers] Views: 3508
     Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 02:45 PM EDT
    Ok well this is the 2nd of a 2 parter and well my 1st reaction and this goes back to last week was, oh no its Helen Raynor with another 2 parter and well I'm sorry but the Dalek story sucked last year. Well reasonable 1st Part, crappy 2nd.

Well I enjoyed Part 1 more than the Dalek story in complete form, but like others was prepared to be let down by her 2nd part. Boy was I wrong. I'm a big man and I can admit that.

So the episode opened with a recap of last week and then we were straight into the titles. I quite liked that.

People said a stone or something would be used to break the window. Very close guys, nice use of the axe on the windscreen by Donna's mum, but a bit to much of a concidence she managed to strike the right place to completely smash it.

So they rescue Bernard and race back to the Tardis for Donna and off to UNIT for the Doctor. When he went back and got Martha and discovered the Tardis gone and asked her if she had called her parents, you knew at that second he knew she wasn't Martha, well the real one anyway.

When the Doctor opens the channel to the Sontarans and also allows Donna to watch we have the blink and you miss it Billie Piper appearance. For those who don't see it the first time round (and I had to rewind the Sky+ just to double check it was her), she literally appears the second you see the Tardis scanner. She seems to be saying Doctor (if my lip reading works), but I guess Donna didn't notice or thought nothing of it. I can only perhaps presume that she may remember it later on.

When Martha was stopping the nuclear warheads going up, again you got the impression the Doctor was fully aware of what was going on.

The nod to the Brigadier was fantastic and was exactly how people said it should be in last week’s podshock. I loved it; I wish the brigadier was here, no offence. And then the Colonel saying that Sir Alistair is a fine man.

I do have a problem with the Sontaran chant, I dislike it, but did love the Doctor feet up on the desk "Give me a break", out comes the Sonic Screwdriver and changes the TV to a cartoon. Obviously Timelords love Kids TV, The Master did in Last of the Timelords and in The Sea Devils (I think). The way he then turns back and asks if they are done was good as well.

The one liner when the Colonel takes the Doctor outside and gives him the gas mask and asks him a question, which I can't remember, but the Doctor just saying in response "Are you my mummy?" was brilliant, a great nod back to Christopher Eccleston and The Empty Child.

Keeping the open line with Donna was great, and the bit where she says she needs 3 fingers, and the Doctor points out she does have 3. Luke the boy genius still didn't get it when everyone walked out on him, obviously not a genius, and them teleports back to earth crying like a little baby, when the Sontarans want to kill him, when they reveal there plan to him. To me he didn't show a lot of genius.

When the real Martha was found, the clone seemed surprised he figured it out, for someone with Martha's memories the clone underestimated the Doctor.

The Doctor clearing the air and then willing to sacrifice himself to save the world, was great and then Luke rigs the teleport to switch places was good, Luke finally did the right thing. Donna slapping the Doctor when he gets back was very good.

Then the Doctor, Donna, and Martha meet up in the Tardis, Martha turns down an offer from Donna to join them, saying she has her fiancé to deal with. The doors shut and the Tardis takes off. Martha demands the Doctor returns her, but the Doctor tells her that it is not him. Now we keep seeing in this scene the hand that was severed off in The Christmas Invasion, now without giving anything anyway from the Next Time trailer, I would just say I guess that will come in to it somewhere.

So Helen Raynor gave us a Turkey last year but this year she did a heck of a lot better.

5 Tardis Groans for the overall story and 5 for the episode.

Edit: Just had to double check on my Sky+ recording if Billie got a credit and she did.

With the next time trailer the next episode looks fantastic. I just want to say one thing in advance for next weeks episode, I think we may see a clone of sorts next week. Won't say anymore than that at the momment in case people turn off when its the next weeks trailer.

2nd Edit: An advance warning, in 2 weeks, Doctor Who MAY take a week off, as the following week is the Eurovision Song Contest, and they have to for whatever reason put there programme to search for whatever musical star they are looking for this year. No listings are avaliable for BBC 1 past the 23rd May at the momment, as soon as I get updated listings or the BBC do a press release for that week, I may know more.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 03:41 PM EDT
    WOW 001, thanks for the recap, i wholeheartedly agree on everything!

I did notice Rose on the scanner straight away, very clever, even if Donna did see it, she would have pushed it aside!
    Are you my mummy?!?! Very funny!, then the Valiant turns up! Brilliant!
    The mention of Sir Alistair, stuck in Peru! I honestly think a name mention is all we're going to get!
    Luke's students did exactly what everyone else would have done in that situation, his and their performance was fantastic! 'Breeding programs?' lol Very Nerdy, although pulling a gun every 5 seconds wasnt!

Martha had a better performance in this one (after being rescued), but was upstaged once again by Noble, BACK OF THE NECK! I actually laughed out loud at that one!

< begin rant > And now for a downer, so this new atmosphere on the WHOLE planet is flammable is it? But not a single naked flame on the whole Earth can ignite it? I was screwing! And even if you poo poo that excuse and believe that only the Doctor's cannon can ignite it, wouldn't it make sense for everything from sea-level upwards to burn? As we all know, you need oxygen for something to combust, and the higher up the ATMOSphere (hehe) you get, the less dense the air is, so a flame wouldn't burn!
    Also, when we saw the flame dispersing, we see it in a Mexican Wave fashion, rather than dissipating in the air, which is what a zero G fire would do, thus leaving all the choking victims on Earth now with LESS oxygen to breathe!
    The Doctor didn't seem to miffed about losing Luke did he?
    I also didnt need to be reminded every 5 minutes that Mum and Gramps were suffocating, that got a bit tiresome and didn't aid the story!
    And they REALLY didn't have to kill off Ross Jenkins! He could have survived and been the one to kill the hoodless Sontaran, instead of the Colonel. And get a snog off the hot Captain girl, instead of the Colonel.
    < end rant >

Cant wait for next week, Martha's back in the TARDIS, the un-fighting hand is bubbling (does it always bubble during de-materialisation do you think?) and we get introduced to the Doctor's HOT daughter, who enjoys backflips through lasers and kissing girls behind bars. She's played, believe it or not by Peter Davison's daughter Georgia Moffet.

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 04:48 PM EDT
    This is possibly one of my fave two parters in Doctor Who. It had everything that a Doctor Who episode should. I'm not happy with Bernard Cribbins stealing every episode he's been in though! I'll review it when I see it again, but it's feeling great to be a Doctor Who fan!

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 05:54 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]Cant wait for next week, Martha's back in the TARDIS, the un-fighting hand is bubbling (does it always bubble during de-materialisation do you think?) and we get introduced to the Doctor's HOT daughter, who enjoys backflips through lasers and kissing girls behind bars. She's played, believe it or not by Peter Davison's daughter Georgia Moffet.

Yeah this is gonna be great because being Peter Moffet (Davison's) Daughter she truly is the Doctors daughter. This for me throws up a few questions but of course this thread is not the place for them, Ill save it for after the ep has aired.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 06:01 PM EDT
    Well it's the first DW episode I've seen in without other means for a year (Lazurus Experiment was the last). In the UK for Who in the Cavern tomorrow, Hurrah.

I quite enjoyed this episode but felt let down again with the Dual Satsuma solutions.

1)

Oh Look here's an "atmosphere converter" that you built for a mission that the Sontaran's actually didn't intend to send you on.
    However they conveniently told you about it so that you'd build one and the Doctor can use it to save the Earth and defeat you.

2)Luke has a change of heart and sacrifices himself in the place of the Doctor how convienient. (I guess I thought he was going to pull the Doctor back as the explosion occurred and the Doctor would be near Death (but only close enough to die not regenerate).

Okay what would I have preferred that would have been more palatable.

1) Put all the cars into reverse and suck the noxious fumes back up the tail pipes (well send out a signal that made the converters re-adsorb the gases anyway) - there were 400 million units outthere to help.

2) Contact Sontarans on the via same method as previous chat. Say "surrender or die" they say "glorious warfare" Beam up atmosphere converter with 0.5 sec time delay, KaBooooom.

Naff Science
    ------------
    The atmosphere will burn, but don't worry just a monolayer at about the height of the Chrysler Building (Although the poison sky did seem to extend down to the ground level in most previous shots!! Good thing the fire didn't have to go to where the gas was to get rid of it.)

Seemed to burn without heat, didn't consume all the oxygen yet set the whole world ablaze for a few seconds. But may have put a big hole in the ozone layer, or accelerated global warming Big Grin

Despite the above I did enjoy the episode probably a 3.5 after a 4.0 last week. On reflection the begining of this season is just so much better than last year's start that I shouldn't complain.

Is the Doctor's Daughter a Bionic Woman or a Terminator? Was she Susan's Mommy? She doesn't look to much like William Hartnell Big Grin

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 07:12 PM EDT

Well I loved it - although some of my enjoyment was because it 'wasn't' a let-down.

Loved the little nods to the fans - mentioned above.

My only problem - was nothing to do with this story at all! It was just that Episode 1 had used the same idea - that of the Earth as a breeding ground.

Other than that I was very happy with this two-parter - Well done Helen!

And the teaser for next week was pretty exciting.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 07:39 PM EDT
    I absolutely loved this!
    Alright so I’ve been to a Greek restaurant, had a few glasses of wine and sat down expecting to be disappointed (probably the best frame of mind with which to approach the new series!). But it was great! Exciting, pacey, funny (genuinely funny again just like Pompeii – Are you my mummy?, indeed) and ended with another cliff hanger. Fab!
    Ok so I’ll start with the opposite of last week: what I didn’t like: a predictable solution to a less-than-inspiring cliffhanger – the shots of the world choking at the beginning of this episode were what we should have had at the end of the part one. Last week’s ending should have built up the global enormity of the situation. Instead what did we have? – Granddad trapped in a car. Also didn’t like the way we were supposed to suddenly feel sorry for Clone Martha –she was evil and happy to watch the whole world suffocate – sorry but I don’t buy the sudden last minute change of heart. And finally the ropey science – but what the hey – this is Doctor Who and we’re always ready to forgive that.
    What I liked: the Sontarans, their new image growing on me, the battle scenes, Donna alone on the Sontaran ship (Back of the neck!), Donna, Donna, Donna – the best companion that the Doctor has had in regenerations in my opinion, the UNIT officers kissing, even the Valiant brought out a guilty jingoistic pleasure.
    What I loved: the Brigadier was mentioned, how Donna thumped the Doctor on his survival, the Doctor’s fearless contempt of guns and the finale: why does the Doctor have to go to the Sontaran ship to detonate the device? To give them a choice! In the flash of a second I changed my mood from: “what? After what the Doctor has just said about guns and now he’s willing to kill the Sontarans “ to “of course, that is so the Doctor that we know and love that you could burst with pride “. This is Doctor Who staying true to itself and being modern and fab and wonderful. Did I mention that I loved this? I am willing to forgive the weak ending of episode one and look at the two parts as a whole: a solid 4.5 out of 5 ! What a season! Let’s pray that David Tennant stays at least until the end of next years special! Yeah! Doctor Who we can be proud of! Yey!!!!
    Oh yeah and Rose...?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 09:05 PM EDT

We will be reviewing this episode tomorrow, Sunday 4 May at 12 PM EDT (US) on our live podcast. We will do it again after it is shown on the Sci-Fi Channel as well.

Be sure to join us Arrow here and tell us what you thought of this episode as well as a combined review of both parts.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 09:44 PM EDT
    Ooooh I was so relieved when Bernard Cribbins didnt die after that cliff hanger. Threatening his life (unlike the Doctor or companion) was a genuine threat and it made me squirm. The Cribbins (as a staple of my seventies British childhood) rocks and I for one would have been sad to see him go so soon.

But after that , I felt it was an average episode. Monster of the week to be honest, and the Sontarans deserve better. That said, Chris Ryan was perfectly cast as Staal. Brilliant vocals...

...although he'll always be Mike from "The Young Ones" for my generation! He was a hero when I was at school Smile

The best bit of course was the next week preview. Georgia Moffat at the Doctors daughter?!??! On reflection it seems amazing that we've waited 44 years for this, but even so I'm really excited. I've been raving to the guys (and random strangers) down the pub about this all night Smile

And hats off to the team for attempting something really innovative!

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 09:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  old china] Ooooh I was so relieved when Bernard Cribbins didnt die after that cliff hanger. ...

He's too good to knock off so soon... But they did do it to Ross! Cry

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 09:56 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] He's too good to knock off so soon... But they did do it to Ross! Cry

Ross was a really likeable character. I was gutted to see him go. I honesty thought he was just injured. Shot thru the wall which took the brunt of the blast... or some such. Such is war though, which I guess was their point. Devastating really.

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 10:11 PM EDT
    So the Doctor's daughter is in next weeks episode, so much for the last of the time lords then, is Susan still out there as well ? but here's a thought, what if it was the Doctor's so called daughter ( we haven't seen the episode yet ) that took the Master's ring at the end of the last series ?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 11:10 PM EDT
    What if the Doctor's daughter was the wife of the Master and is now newly regenerated?

Photobucket

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 11:15 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  jeffreysg] What if the Doctor's daughter was the wife of the Master and is now newly regenerated?

Eek!

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 11:29 PM EDT
    Hope no one minds a few screen caps.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post