The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Doctor Who Adventures
    Doctor Who Adventures
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Eurovision Song Contest
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Eurovision Song Contest Views: 2490
     Thursday, May 08 2008 @ 12:15 PM EDT
    Today the BBC have released a press release for Week 22 (24-30 May).

It would seem that they have learnt there lesson from last year when they took Doctor Who off for a week in order to squeeze other things in before the Eurovision Song Contest.

It will be back in the earlier 6:20pm slot, after this week and next week both being in the 6:45pm slot.

Thanks for listening on that score BBC, now lets hope as from the 31st May it returns to 7pm.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 08 2008 @ 12:31 PM EDT

Programme Information > Network TV Week 22 > Saturday 24 May 2008

P.S. And what lesson is that? The program is still bouncing around the schedules.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, May 08 2008 @ 12:43 PM EDT
    Moving Doctor Who around a bit is unavoidable.

This magical 13 week slot that would see the show on at the exact same time simply doesn't exist.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 08 2008 @ 12:46 PM EDT
    I personally consider it absolutely ridiculous that a major corporation (and one that in so many other ways I am proud of), cannot plan ahead. You would have thought that, considering how popular the programme has been since its return that its time slot would have been treated as sacrosanct and decalred a no-touch zone a year ago!
    Let's just hope that it doesn't come back to bite them on their big corporation posteriors!

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 08 2008 @ 02:14 PM EDT

One of the major reasons for the flexible scheduling of the program is so that the competition (ITV) can not schedule something opposite it consistently.

Thursday, May 08 2008 @ 05:10 PM EDT
    It has nothing to do with an inability to plan ahead and everything to do with the fact that over the course of 13 weeks there will be unavoidable conflicts in the form of live events.

Scheduling conflicts are as certain as fans who think the sky is falling and are continually up in arms. Being shown on a Saturday means that Doctor Who is in for more juggling than most shows on other more stable nights but Doctor Who is not being treated much differently than other shows. The fact that it can handle said treatment is a sign of strength and not of weakness.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 08 2008 @ 05:41 PM EDT
    And yet most other British channels manage to avoid such movement of times. In fact, most other TV programmes on the BBC manage to avoid it. I hear what you are saying and accept it but when even the show's own stars and makers are beginning to question the scheduling...

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 08 2008 @ 10:26 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] And yet most other British channels manage to avoid such movement of times. In fact, most other TV programmes on the BBC manage to avoid it. I hear what you are saying and accept it but when even the show's own stars and makers are beginning to question the scheduling...

Most other tv programmes on the BBC are not aired early on Saturday evenings when there is more likely to be interference from sport and other special live events. If the BBC moved the show to a later slot on a weeknight there would be far less disruption. However that isn't the natural timeslot for Doctor Who, Saturday evening is.

All shows face disruption from time to time to do live events. Including the big soaps the get better ratings than Doctor Who. Those shows rarely go for 13 consecutive weeks without a single disruption or preemption.

Doctor Who faces more of these pressures than some others because it's broadcast on Saturday evenings. No matter what time the BBC picks the FA Cup, Eurovisison and possibly even Euro are live events that could cause problems. The only way around this is to not show Doctor Who on a Saturday night and even then something else would probably get in the way.

I think what the programme makers are bothered about this year is moving the "regular" timeslot to 6:20pm and that's a fair complaint but a different issue. Whether the regular time is one of the other from time to time live events will force it to be changed.

Mike

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 08 2008 @ 11:22 PM EDT

I think that the issue is that only two of the episodes will have broadcast at the same time as the week prior by the eighth episode...

Partners In Crime — 5-Apr-2008 — 18:20
    The Fires of Pompeii —12-Apr-2008 — 18:45
    Planet of the Ood —19-Apr-2008 — 18:20
    The Sontaran Strategem —26-Apr-2008 — 18:20 * same as prior week
    The Poison Sky —3-May-2008 — 18:20 * same as prior week
    The Doctor's Daughter —10-May-2008 — 18:45
    The Unicorn and the Wasp —17-May-2008 — 19:00
    Silence in the Library —31-May-2008 — 18:20 *** moved a week later for EuroVision

That is a pretty high ratio of movement. Mind you, that five of the eight have the same 18:20 start time.

EDIT: EuroVision gap mentioned—Taras

Friday, May 09 2008 @ 03:09 AM EDT
    I personally believe that it is all the same issue - not having an adequate or regular timeslot.
    OK, I can understand one or two disruptions due to the Eurovision (-ish but surely the home for such kitsch, cult viewing is now BBC 2) but certainly not British sports events considering that a huge amount of BBC 1 scheduling is turned over to sports on a Saturday and is usually scheduled for much earlier on anyway.
    Now we arrive at 5 weeks before we even reach the Eurovision Song Contest and we find the show jumping around in the time slot to the point where many people that I know have missed the beginning on more than one occasion.
    I hear what you are saying about disruptions due to events of public interest (the BBC is there to cater soley to this after all). However, I remain to be convince about which events have forced this movement so far this year.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, May 09 2008 @ 05:07 AM EDT
    I am holing out for a move to a winter broadcast in 2010.

i really dont mind WHO coming off the screens for a week for Eurovision.

id rather it was on later and was taken off for a week.

Eurovision target audience is a very similar demographic to Nu Who.

Somewhere the tea is getting cold
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, May 09 2008 @ 05:30 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DrWho001] Today the BBC have released a press release for Week 22 (24-30 May).

It would seem that they have learnt there lesson from last year when they took Doctor Who off for a week in order to squeeze other things in before the Eurovision Song Contest.

It will be back in the earlier 6:20pm slot, after this week and next week both being in the 6:45pm slot.

Thanks for listening on that score BBC, now lets hope as from the 31st May it returns to 7pm.

Spoke to soon.

The press release has had Doctor Who removed and now the new listings released for that week show its not on. Evil Exclaimation

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 15 2008 @ 04:40 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DrWho001]
    Spoke to soon.

The press release has had Doctor Who removed and now the new listings released for that week show its not on. Evil Exclaimation

Correct, here is the listing for Saturday 24th from DigiGuide:-

Oh well, on the bright side hopefully we'll get a long trailer for the rest of the seaon and at least it'll be another week before it's finished.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 15 2008 @ 05:25 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]
    OK, I can understand one or two disruptions due to the Eurovision (-ish but surely the home for such kitsch, cult viewing is now BBC 2)

BBC2? No way, Eurovision is huuuuge!! hugely tacky but... stillSmile And this year we have the obscure Dustin the Turkey with his nasal Dublin accent to totally baffle everyone in the audience and horribly embarrass the entire nation of Ireland. I know it's lame but I lurve teh yerovishons.

I think they removed Doctor Who just to keep us salivating.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Thursday, May 15 2008 @ 05:28 PM EDT
    Nah! Used to think it was at least fun. Now the political voting just depresses me and makes me despair at how little progress we've made as a continent in the last 100 years!

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored