The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Collectors Plates.
    Collectors Plates.
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4 Ep: 6 The Doctors Daughter [Spoilers]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4 Ep: 6 The Doctors Daughter [Spoilers] Views: 6047
     Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 03:10 PM EDT
    So we start with the Tardis crew still in flight after last week.

The Tardis arrives on an ALIEN PLANET. 2nd of the Season everyone. The Doctor has a tissue sample taken and we have a clone. Just want to point out I said Clone and that was with knowing no spoilers.

What a daughter we have in Georgia. Very well played, great evolution of the Character throughout the episode. The way The Doctor warms to her as well was great.

I was upset when she was shot. But then after the Tardis had gone, she came back to life. Obviously a combo of the Terraforming and the Timelord DNA used to make her.

Really enjoyed the ep. 5/5 for me. And a chance to see her in the future. Unlike Ross, and that’s not because of the character being killed, because we know that he is alive and well in Louis basement Mr. Green . If you don't know what I mean then you will need to listen to last weeks podshock lol.

I really wish I could be there to discuss it tomorrow but its a couple of hours to early for me Frown So I hope to join in on the Sci-Fi version or on Unbound when that launch's.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 03:30 PM EDT
    I liked it, but my televison screen is sticky for some reason, can't think why? Wink I'm not sure about the 'regenration', I thought a Gallifreyan had to learn how to do it. Hmmmmmmmm

Will post a proper review later!

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 03:42 PM EDT
    What a fab season so far.The first half of this season has been head and shoulders above any of the other season’s so far. I’m excited about the next half!
    As for the episode itself:
    Things I didn’t like: the fact that in the current 45 min format, we have to rush into resolutions which feel somewhat contrived rather than natural and probably wouldn’t feel this way if we had more time for character development – an example being that I didn’t feel much at all when Martha’s Hath companion died – we needed more time to get to know these creatures;also didn't like a slight predictability in what finally happens (or what the Doctor finally believes finally happens to Jenny)- I'd predicted that before I even saw the episode. However, this l;ast point was soon turned on its head by the end of the episode.
    Things I liked: the nature of the Doctor’s daughter – OK a lot of us guessed the DNA fact but the fact that she had never existed until that moment was something that I certainly hadn’t considered;
    a multi-companion TARDIS with each companion having an important role – Martha to show us the real nature of the Hath and Donna to act as the mediator between Time Lord and offspring. The Hath, a great-looking, fresh concept for a monster (although what happened to the TARDIS translator circuits?); the nature of the war itself – I didn’t see that coming and loved that way that it was Donna’s temp background again which helped them to discover the secret behind the numbers; off-Earth! The second time in three stories. Yey! Although I would have loved to have seen the terraformed planet at the end.
    What I loved: The mention of the Doctor’s children – ‘them!’ – so, more than one and now we know the truth that they all died! And the girls!!!!! Martha, brilliant – showing how the doctor part of her was never subsumed by the soldier and also showing us why she can’t travel with the Doctor anymore – when the Hath died all of the emotion that I felt was for and her great performance at this point (pity that I felt so little for the hath itself); Donna, marvellous yet again – “a lot of running indeed!” – she has become this programme’s saving grace in that she is its ability to laugh at itself; and finally Jenny – did anybody else feel shades of the fourth Doctor’s relationship with Leela – she was brilliant indeed (and did you see her in the Confidential – Phwoaarroni!). You mark my word, I believe that we have just met season five’s companion – the Doctor’s daughter and a soldier to boot. A companion the like of which we will never have seen before.
    Overall: Somewhere between 3.5 and 4 out of 5, 3.5 for the plot as not brilliant and some flaws in its not having the time to adequately tell the story but a 4 in terms of what it means in Doctor Who history. He finally has something to live for and yet he doesn’t know it...yet. The sweet, tragic irony!

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 05:44 PM EDT
    Awesome episode, although Jenny's "regeneration" was a bit dubious.... My opinion is that she didn't regenerate because she never actually "died," but managed to revive for the same reason the Doctor could grow another hand in The Christmas Invasion.

tawm.net: read it. (please?)

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 06:01 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tawm] Awesome episode, although Jenny's "regeneration" was a bit dubious.... My opinion is that she didn't regenerate because she never actually "died," but managed to revive for the same reason the Doctor could grow another hand in The Christmas Invasion.

I enjoyed this episode - off world again!!!

Lot's of great dialogue - and the Doctor opens up again to Donna.

As others have said - not too sure about the ending - with Jenny reviving - a bit like Spock in ST3?

And David's acting was outstanding again this week.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 06:25 PM EDT

Not Hath bad, Hath expected them at the end to call themselves the Tecs and the Sabateem. Georgia Moffat isn't Hath dishy. Several of the statements I thought of (Hath translation/cloning) issues they already covered in the commentary Cry . Oh well on to the second Hath of the season..

I have Hath my fun now, move along,
    Mike

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 07:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tawm] Awesome episode, although Jenny's "regeneration" was a bit dubious.... My opinion is that she didn't regenerate because she never actually "died," but managed to revive for the same reason the Doctor could grow another hand in The Christmas Invasion.

And that reason was... he was still in his regenerative cycle... oops!

Timelords don't regenerate when they die, but when they are close to it, and some can do it when they choose to (Romana).

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 08:14 PM EDT
    Well, my point is that a newly created Time Lord body may have the same residual energy as a newly regenerated Time Lord body.

And I understand that true death doesn't really occur when Regeneration does, hence the quotes. But Jenny's revival is reminiscent of the regeneration of the Seventh Doctor into the Eighth. I'm merely theorizing that a full regeneration was unnecessary owing to the newness of her form.

tawm.net: read it. (please?)

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 08:53 PM EDT

Just a reminder that we will be reviewing this episode tomorrow (Sunday) at 12 PM EDT (US) via Talkshoe.com on our live podcast.

Loved it? Hated it? Could take or leave it? Join us on Doctor Who: Podshock LIVE and let your voice be heard!

All you need to do is simply go Arrow here. Actually, you need not even do that, just call in (but go the link here to get the phone number and ID number first).

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 09:38 PM EDT
    so basically an alien dies so Martha can rejoin her friends? ANd is not mentioned again?

Anyway I liked this ep and I am not sure why. I think the "danger" was not tense at all but the dialog was good. It felt...rushed and wrong somehow but it was enjoyable.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 11:56 PM EDT
    Booo!!!!!

Not since Enemy Mine have I been so moved by a tale of alien friendship. Nevertheless, I didn't like this episode. Booo!

Jenny was adorable. There were a couple funny moments. However, there were a few moments there when it didn't even feel like I was watching David Tennant as The Doctor anymore - specifically when they were in the cell and he was like, hissing down his nose in a close up shot being a bit crap about Jenny.

I thought the 7 day biblical/disputed "holy land" stuff was totally cringeworthy. And then to find out they were really battling a computer pyramid the whole time??? what!?!? Oh sorry, that was The Armageddon Factor.

I thought the bit where he grabbed the gun & held it to the one guy's head and then angrily preached peace... ugh!!!! We know the Doctor hates violence and guns but this was soooo heavy handed.

Nevermind him leaving her body behind (?? HUH ??) but her shooting off in a spaceship??? What??? Rubbiiiishhhhhh!

Then I don't know if anybody noticed it but there was a super-awkward cut when Donna & Martha were talking, right after Donna says she'll follow the doctor forever, they go in for a hug but the shot didn't look right, it seemed like they cut out some piece of dialogue and weren't able to patch it together properly so just kind of, stitched it up, sent it off, and hoped for the best. I should really watch again to make sure but initial reaction is... ugh, I feel embarrassed for them!

I hate to be so harsh but really I'm disappointed. I am generally soooo easy to please but there shall be no thumbs up from me on this one! No sireee.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 12:13 AM EDT

I'm afraid I will not be able to attend the podcast.... Mothers day Frown
    Did get the wife a Doctor Who T-Shirt... with DT on it Smile

LOVED this episode.... great acting from David in this, you gotta love that man.
    Loved it loved it loved it

Glad they kept Jenny alive... but not in too much of a hurry to see her again (except in my dreams tonight)
    Could gladly see a season or 2 go by before she shows
    up again.

Loved it!

Have a good episode all, I'll catch up with it during the Sci-Fi channel version Smile

"Oh and Yes... I did interview Gigi Edgley.. just in case you were wondering... yes Gigi... Chiana from Farscape, Yup I interviewed her... in person you know...
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 12:14 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie]
    Then I don't know if anybody noticed it but there was a super-awkward cut when Donna & Martha were talking, right after Donna says she'll follow the doctor forever, they go in for a hug but the shot didn't look right, it seemed like they cut out some piece of dialogue and weren't able to patch it together properly so just kind of, stitched it up, sent it off, and hoped for the best. I should really watch again to make sure but initial reaction is... ugh, I feel embarrassed for them!

I noticed that bad cut, too. I wonder if that was in the original BBC airing, or maybe it had something to do with the specific "red-eye flight" I took to see it? (Good old "MM" airlines!)

I liked the episode, but I do agree with most of Magpie's criticisms. The "regeneration" of Jenny looked more like what happened to Capt. Jack when Rose brought him back to life... Maybe the TARDIS saved her?? I mean, she didn't exactly look any different afterwards.

My wife suggested "new teen spin-off series?" when she saw Jenny flying off in her ship. ??

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 12:19 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] I liked it, but my televison screen is sticky for some reason, can't think why? Wink I'm not sure about the 'regenration', I thought a Gallifreyan had to learn how to do it. Hmmmmmmmm

Will post a proper review later!

Thats news to me, why did you think that ?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 03:39 AM EDT
    I didn't like this one very much at all. Yes, Jenny was pretty good althogh not the Doctor's actual daughter, i.e Susan's mother that I'd been expecting (I'd been avoiding the Doctors Daughter thread here so maybe you clever clogs had it all figured out, but I was disappointed she was only a clone).

So, Jenny was good, although is yet another immortal character kicking around RTD's new Who universe. The Hath were okay too. But I didn't really go for anything else.

Why was Martha even in it? She could have stayed at home and the net outcome would have been the same. She didn't even figure out the numbers, that was Donna.

That's been three highly mediocre episodes in a row for me. Oh well, lets see what next week brings.

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored