The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'The Caretaker' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 28th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 311 - 'Time Heist' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Jules Burt with Shaun Dingwall
    Jules Burt with Shaun Dingwall
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4 Ep: 6 The Doctors Daughter [Spoilers]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4 Ep: 6 The Doctors Daughter [Spoilers] Views: 6151
     Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 02:52 PM EDT
    Just watched the ep, and i must say, what a pile of shite!
    Once again, they had SO much potential, and they flushed it all down the toilet.

I couldn't get my teeth into this episode, every time i pushed away another gaping plot hole, another came up.
    I'll list em:

-TARDIS flies itself (we later find out it was to do with the Doctor's DNA attractine itself to Jenny but arrived early. RUBBISH!)
    -They clone the Doctor, i was expecting that, but then DO NOT clone Martha and Donna?
    -I'm confused as how the cloning machines worked, if it were non stop cloning, those tunnels would be TEEMING with Human/Hath soldiers.
    -Jenny (A GIRL, the only girl?) is cloned, and comes out of the machine with a full wardrobe(that fits), peroxide hair (not exactly standard soldier issue), mascara, blush and perfect white teeth. They're not breeding soldiers, they're breeding pop idols.
    -Jenny saying 'hello Dad' does every clone have a paternal attachment with their clones?
    -A THEATRE? After 7 days of Terraforming? NO WAY!
    -Those lasers?!? They reminded me of that scene in the movie Galaxy Quest when they need to get past those metal stomping things! Why were they there? Who put them there? What purpose did they solve?
    -Jenny had DOOMED written on her all the way through the episode, from the jail cell to her regeneration, it was too effing predictable. I'd have loved it if she went with them in the end, but that's bringing the show in a completley different direction, creating a family sit-com instead of a Sci-Fi show!
    -The Doctor was NEVER going to shoot that fella, why even put him in that position?
    -The 'regeneration' (as stated by others)
    -The Hath (as Joshua mentioned)
    -The seven day theory as mentioned

And many others that i dont have time/energy to write here. As i said, with the potential this episode had, they could have brought us a brilliant story, but this seemed rushed, with 2nd hand sets from Holby City and quarries, and the BBC boiler room.

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 03:15 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny] ... and the BBC boiler room.

Hahahahahaha I thought the very same thing, I am sure I saw energy rating stickers on some of the "contraptions" in the hallway hahahaha!

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 03:38 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny] Just watched the ep, and i must say, what a pile of shite!
    Once again, they had SO much potential, and they flushed it all down the toilet.

I couldn't get my teeth into this episode, every time i pushed away another gaping plot hole, another came up.
    I'll list em:

-TARDIS flies itself (we later find out it was to do with the Doctor's DNA attractine itself to Jenny but arrived early. RUBBISH!)
    -They clone the Doctor, i was expecting that, but then DO NOT clone Martha and Donna?
    -I'm confused as how the cloning machines worked, if it were non stop cloning, those tunnels would be TEEMING with Human/Hath soldiers.
    -Jenny (A GIRL, the only girl?) is cloned, and comes out of the machine with a full wardrobe(that fits), peroxide hair (not exactly standard soldier issue), mascara, blush and perfect white teeth. They're not breeding soldiers, they're breeding pop idols.

Yeah, I mentioned it was a bit silly how they can be cloned so quickly, plus on top of that, come out of the clone machine already fully clothed and with makeup. But you make another interesting point. Why didn't we see more female clones here?

As for the other points... Yeah I agree. Many of them I mentioned on our live podcast earlier today before reading this thread.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 03:41 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny] ...
    -The Doctor was NEVER going to shoot that fella, why even put him in that position?

Yeah, and the contrived heart-beat like music playing the background during it. We all knew that he was not going to shot. Yeah, I know he was making a point to the new inhabitants of this new world... but it just didn't work for me dramatically. I wasn't buying it.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 04:17 PM EDT
    Hmmm...Johnny needs to brush up on his podcast listening!
    Great mind's think alike eh Louis?

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 05:18 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]

This really was the only main bit I didn't understand because they acted as if it was standard procedure for those with clean hands. They do mention that they want to clone Donna, so for me, it sort of was answered.

They didn't have time to hear Donna make some of her snarky comments when cloned because The Doctor, as played by David Tennant, was in the middle of his 2008 BAFTA performance.

(note to LanaiaD-"For The Love of G-D will someone give David Tennant
    a Bafta this year")

I cried until it hurt. It was a pleasure.

Good Story+Good direction+David Tennant's Bafta entry
    5/5 episode

"WOT?...WOT?" "WOT??????!!!!!" OUT!OUT!OUT!

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 07:03 PM EDT
    Wow I could not disagree more vehemently with LonelyAngel on every single point.

Something else occurred to me, are we just supposed to assume that the missing pacifist group was killed because, uhm, what the heck happened to them?

I wonder, is this episode going to be another Love and Monsters, dividing people?

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 07:22 PM EDT
    Would you rather rewatch this one or Fear Her?

I'd choose this one every time...

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 07:36 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  That Neil Guy] Would you rather rewatch this one or Fear Her?

I'd choose this one every time...

I wouldn't watch either but for totally different reasons, if you know what I mean.

I didn't enjoy Fear Her because it was aimed at the younger viewers but I didn't think it was a bad episode as such.

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 07:53 PM EDT
    Yes, Magpie, but what will your drunken hand puppet have to say about this episode...?

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 08:38 PM EDT
    I spoiled my own podcast by writing all the things that annoyed me here on the forum, so I probably won't post it. :/
    (No hand puppets - Though there were talking Toikka owls in it.)

They didn't like the episode either, btw.

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 08:43 PM EDT
    Oh, but you've just got to post it. We want to hear as well as read, then your opinions will be hammered home into our think little skulls. And besides, we want to see the talking owls. Which reminds me: the owls are not what they seem...

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 09:39 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tin Dog Podcast] question.. so whats in the ball?

oh its the genesis device from Star Trek 2.

It looks like the Traken Source from The Keeper of Traken. This is more an internal, than external tech item...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 09:47 PM EDT

The machine that created Jenny was part of the terraformer. It builds required colonists from the available atoms based on a genetic guide. Sort of a cross between a replicator and transporter from Star Trek. It builds a colonist, it doesn't grow one, like you would get with cloning. The machine is building the colony and the colonists required to populate it.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 12:42 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    The machine that created Jenny was part of the terraformer. It builds required colonists from the available atoms based on a genetic guide. Sort of a cross between a replicator and transporter from Star Trek. It builds a colonist, it doesn't grow one, like you would get with cloning. The machine is building the colony and the colonists required to populate it.

That's a great explanation of it. I suppose it would explain the clothes and makeup as well... well, at least the clothes. Why a being breed for the military would need non-camouflage makeup like the eyeliner Jenny was wearing is beyond me.

Cheers,
    Louis

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic