The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Emilia meets Eric Potts (Slitheen & Corrie) 2006
    Emilia meets Eric Potts (Slitheen & Corrie) 2006
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4 Ep: 6 The Doctors Daughter [Spoilers]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4 Ep: 6 The Doctors Daughter [Spoilers] Views: 6176
     Monday, May 12 2008 @ 12:53 AM EDT

That isn't eyeliner, but pretty thick eyelashes, which I assume are fake ones.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 12:54 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

Standard military issue of course. Wink

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 01:05 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

Standard military issue of course. Wink

Maybe they're bullet proof??? Twisted Evil

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 02:39 AM EDT
    names for a bands inspired from this ep.

i)Doctors Daughter
    ii)Bulletproof Mascara
    iii) Bulletproof Eyelash

Somewhere the tea is getting cold
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 04:26 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin]Isn't that the point of the Academy? Normal Gallifreyan's couldn't regenrate (as in 'The Invasion of Time) and they had to attend the academy to learn how to do it, among other things.

Also I thought you had to start the regenative process before you die, that's if you knew how to do it of course. That's why we didn't see the Master regenrate when he 'died'.
    There is nothing in the script of "The Invasion of Time" to support what you're suggesting. I mean, I know this is a popular fan notion, but "Invasion" doesn't speak at all to who can regenerate and who can't. Even if it did, "Last of the Time Lords" would trump this theoretical assertion by showing that regeneration is a voluntary process.

The better analogy to draw from "Invasion" (and "Deadly Assassin") is that Prydonian:Time Lords::Gryffindor:Hogwarts student body. All Prydonians are Time Lords, but you don't have to be a Prydonian (or a member of any house) to be a Time Lord, any more than that you have to be a Gryffindor (or indeed a graduate of Hogwarts at all) to be a wizard. The various houses (or Acadmies) represent and teach different competing theories as to the meaning of being a Time Lord.

In televised Doctor Who, it has never been shown to be necessary to belong to any house to be a Time Lord. Nor has there ever been any explicit discussion about any distinction between the words "Time Lord" and "Gallifreyan". Indeed, the new series has rather frequently and explicitly used "Time Lord" to describe a race and species,. not merely a school of thought. (See, for instance, "School Reunion" and "The End of the World". Oh, and "The Doctor's Daughter".)

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 05:28 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    In televised Doctor Who, it has never been shown to be necessary to belong to any house to be a Time Lord. Nor has there ever been any explicit discussion about any distinction between the words "Time Lord" and "Gallifreyan". Indeed, the new series has rather frequently and explicitly used "Time Lord" to describe a race and species,. not merely a school of thought. (See, for instance, "School Reunion" and "The End of the World". Oh, and "The Doctor's Daughter".)

Ok, how about this one, my folks werent bornin England, and i was! I class myself as British, have a British Nationality and passport. Jenny was born on Messaline, the daughter of a war refugee whose family were lost and has travelled since.
    I'm happy to go with her vomiting the Source gas as an excuse for her ressurection (notice the wording) as she is MESSALINE, and not Gallifreyan!
    I have a friend whose family are from Serbia, he doesnt go on about being from Yugoslavia...?

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 06:12 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]
    I have a friend whose family are from Serbia, he doesnt go on about being from Yugoslavia...?

Genious.. esp as Yugo is gone just like Galifrey..

however...

Could she still be a Timelord? if there was a place to learn where you become one?

Somewhere the tea is getting cold
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 06:15 AM EDT
    Jenny Spin Off Music!

sorry...

click here to hear

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 08:22 AM EDT
    I don't think anyone here has mentioned is the myth in the story about the female God who breathes out life. It exactly matched what happened to Jenny.

I am happy to believe that what happened to Jenny was a result of both her biology and the terraforming gas. We know that regeneration can either be imposed on someone (Doctor #1 to #2) or can be completely voluntary (Romana #1 to Romana #2) . It also seems to happen without any/much effort (Doctor #5 to #6; "I may regenerate- I don't know."). I always imagined that it was a natural biological process of Gallifreyans, like breathing, that can be voluntary or involuntary, and will happen unless something is very wrong and the body was too damaged or weak to handle it.

I agree with Darth that there has never been any distinction to my knowledge between the phrases "Time Lord" and "Gallifreyan", and I imagine that it's your biology, and not your place of birth that determines whether or not you will regenerate!

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 09:58 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] The first half of this season has been head and shoulders above any of the other season’s so far.

Ummmm...no.

[Quote  by:  rocko] My wife suggested "new teen spin-off series?" when she saw Jenny flying off in her ship. ??

An interesting observation, and I could definitely see this as the reason for creating the character (and keeping her around at the end). It gets instant recognition because:
    a) It's Doctor Who
    b) It'd be a young hero to appeal to the kiddies
    c) She's a girl, so it probably gets more a female audience (a stretch for your typical sci-fi show).

- I totally agree with the Star Trek references. It was the first thing I thought of once Jenny came back to life. Terraforming/Genesis/Spock/Jenny..."Star Trek Who: The Hath of Khan"???

- I don't consider Jenny coming back to life a "regeneration". I think of regenerations as always accompanied by a physical change of some sort, along with possible personality alterations. Plus, I believe the process has to start *before* they die. But to throw fuel on the fire, wasn't McCoy technically dead before he changed into McGann?

- My 2 cents on what is looking like the key debate: Only Time Lords can regenerate. All Time Lords are Gallifreyan. Not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords. Perhaps we'll get an explanation RTD in the future, but I think he has painted himself into a corner by using the phrase "Time Lord DNA". Unless somebody can point out canonical proof to the contrary, I don't consider Time Lords a race or species. I consider them "Gallifreyans-plus".

- I 100% knew Jenny was going to die once they talked about taking her along in the TARDIS after they resolved the matter at hand. Anybody who wasn't sure of this can go ask "Lynda-with-a-Y" and Astrid...

- Is it possible that these last 2 Martha stories have actually caused me to like her less? I was a fan of hers originally (much, much more so than Rose), but now I'm not so sure. That crying when the Hath drowned was just awful. No acting award coming her way anytime soon, except for maybe a Razzie. And somebody pointed out that she really served no purpose at all. So true. What did she do that dramatically impacted the story??? Answer: nothing.

- Once we find out that Jenny is a modified clone of The Doctor, and not a traditional child, I was half expecting some kind of continuation of the Sontaran story.

- I'm still unclear about why The Doctor had to break the teraforming globe to get it to work.

- I did like the debate between The Doctor and Jenny about the definition of a soldier.

- The bit at the end explaining why the TARDIS suddenly took off to get them here was crap. The only reason they did it was to bring along Martha before she could leave, but as I explained above, I'm not even sure why that happened.

Overall: meh...3 out of 5.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 10:05 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] Wow I could not disagree more vehemently with LonelyAngel on every single point.

I happen to love Tennant's acting, the Bafta stuff is a bit of exaggeration, but my point was that I got something out of his performance.

I didn't see the need to sit and watch this particular episode with a pen and paper. I took it at face value. It was enjoyable and plausible enough for me to want to watch it again.

Out of the whole season the best episodes have been Fires of Pompeii and The Doctor's Daughter. My least favorite was Planet of the Ood and
    The Poison Sky, but overall, its been a good year.

"WOT?...WOT?" "WOT??????!!!!!" OUT!OUT!OUT!

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 10:48 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  lonelyangel10] Out of the whole season the best episodes have been Fires of Pompeii and The Doctor's Daughter. My least favorite was Planet of the Ood and
    The Poison Sky, but overall, its been a good year.

For me, the two best so far have been The Fires of Pompeii and the Planet of the Ood. Neither was perfect, but both were still highly enjoyable. Everything else has been around 2 Tardis groans for me. I'm not panicking though, I always seem to enjoy the second half of each season much more than the first half anyway.

Next weeks trailer looked great too Smile

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 11:05 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]What I loved: The mention of the Doctor’s children – ‘them!’ – so, more than one and now we know the truth that they all died!

At the company I work for, we (the employees) have a saying: "Truth is temporary." This came about from one time when we released our quarterly figures (not a good quarter financially-speaking...lost a couple of million $$$). An investor on the conference call asked if there would be any reductions in staff as a result of the poor performance. Our brilliant CEO (read this last part sarcastically for best effect), said "We have no plans to lay off employees at this time". The next week, 15% of our employees got axed. So what he said was true at the time. They didn't plan to lay anybody off. However the reality of the situation quickly changed and they let people go, without ever telling an actual lie.

That being said, how does this relate here? "we know the truth that they all died".
    - The Doctor said all of the Daleks were wiped out. Not quite.
    - The Doctor said all of the Time Lords were destroyed. I think the Master would not agree with this statement.
    - The Doctor says his kids/family are all dead...Do I need to spell it out?

Don't be surprised if we see the Doctor's family at some point in the future, and I'm not only talking about Jenny...fwiw, I don't have any knowledge about spoilers later this season, this is just a gut feeling I have. Truth is temporary.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 11:40 AM EDT
    Although I thought this had it's moments, overall I wasn't a fan of this weeks episode - and elements of it I simply found quite weak.

Donna is just brilliant, I liked the Doctor's daughter aspect to it, and some great acting by David Tennant, but all in all not I wasn't a great fan of "Doctor's Daughter".

I do love the look of next week's show though...

3 out of 5.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 12 2008 @ 12:42 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]
    - Is it possible that these last 2 Martha stories have actually caused me to like her less? I was a fan of hers originally (much, much more so than Rose), but now I'm not so sure. That crying when the Hath drowned was just awful. No acting award coming her way anytime soon, except for maybe a Razzie. And somebody pointed out that she really served no purpose at all. So true. What did she do that dramatically impacted the story??? Answer: nothing.

- I'm still unclear about why The Doctor had to break the teraforming globe to get it to work.

- The bit at the end explaining why the TARDIS suddenly took off to get them here was crap. The only reason they did it was to bring along Martha before she could leave, but as I explained above, I'm not even sure why that happened.

I have the feeling that, as in previous seasons (series), some of the plot points that now seem to be "pointless" (like aspects of the fob watch last year, etc.) may come back to haunt us in eps 12/13 this year.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored