The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Guests at Gallifrey 2006
    Guests at Gallifrey 2006
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  s4e7 The Unicorn and the Wasp [Spoilers]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    s4e7 The Unicorn and the Wasp [Spoilers] Views: 3585
     Sunday, May 18 2008 @ 05:07 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Heh, the "sound of drums" in the garden party. Whatever could that mean?

Dancing? Wink Twisted Evil

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, May 18 2008 @ 05:11 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] But thatʻs a Christie trademark. She would write her novels until the last chapter, then choose the least likely character to be the guilty party. Then sheʻd go back through the manuscript and edit appropriately. Completely appropriate to make it the vicar.

The real point is not whether you would have guessed it was him, but whether you actually did. I didnʻt. I was thinking it was the young footman (the sonʻs lover).

I see. OK. I am not familiar with Agatha Christie's material... Outside of the countless send-ups and parodies of this style of "who-done-it" that I have seen over and over again.

I did enjoy the gag of the Doctor pointing the finger at Donna and Agatha herself though when he was running down the list of potential people. Catching Donna right in mid-swallow. Classic.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, May 18 2008 @ 05:16 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Heh, the "sound of drums" in the garden party. Whatever could that mean?

Did I miss something?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 18 2008 @ 09:54 PM EDT
    I thought it was a fun romp but agree with everyone who thought the vespiform was a bit much. I would have liked it to be a pure historical or at least something a bit last barmy, but I fear we'll never see one of those again.

And hurray for the doomed gay love story! It would have been more objectionable to the others that Roger was having a relationship with someone from a lower station than it was that he was a man.

Pat

"Don't play as if you've swallowed the metronome!" -- Nadia Boulanger

Sunday, May 18 2008 @ 10:51 PM EDT
    Considering the episode was basically written as a homage in style to the central guest character, Agatha Christie, and her works, I think it worked pretty well. In fact, it's the only way it would work, because otherwise I think the episode would've been pretty cringe worthy with how over the top it was at times.

But, I thought it was enjoyable enough.

Plus, Donna gets another line that had me laughing out loud about how this entire adventure is as absurd as Dickens, ghosts, and Christmas. Mr. Green

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 18 2008 @ 10:58 PM EDT
    In listening to the Podshock discussion, I started thinking, how to make this a purely historical story? Well, easy peasy! Let it be a genuine murder mystery that the Doctor and Agatha are solving together. In the course of the investigation, the Doctor and Donna sneak off to the TARDIS (for some equipment or other to help with the investigation) and the ever-inquisitive Agatha follows them secretly and gets into the TARDIS, discovering the Doctor is an alien. They continue to solve the murder together and the Doctor is forced to wipe Agatha's memory, leaving her at the hotel at the right time after her "disappearance."

"Don't play as if you've swallowed the metronome!" -- Nadia Boulanger

Sunday, May 18 2008 @ 11:53 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    And also was nice to see the actor from 'The Talons of Weng-Chiang' who played Henry Gordon Jago in this episode.

Don't have time to write a full review before bed. I liked it. And I totally recognized Jago from Talons as the Colonel and I was pissed they didn't even mention it in the Confidential. Angry

I'll try to write a full review in a day or two.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 18 2008 @ 11:53 PM EDT
    Well, I do agree that it would have been nice to see a purely historical story. I'd like an episode that didn't involve an alien menace for once. If they can do it in Torchwood I'm sure they can do it in Doctor Who.

That said, I thought it was amusing, though over the top, that it was literally a wasp that was killing this waspy group of people, and that the term wasp was never used to describe the group of very waspy Brits in this episode.

"Hero! I should have been a God!"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 19 2008 @ 12:32 AM EDT

One thing other thing I noticed: When the Doctor is waiting outside the TARDIS for Donna to change clothes, it gives the impression that he was doing it to give her privacy. This would imply that there is only one room in the TARDIS. That bugs me somewhat.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 19 2008 @ 03:05 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]

Did I miss something?
    The signature drum beat from last seriesʻ concluding three-parter is immediately recognizable at the start of the garden party. (Listen at the point that the needle on the gramophone touches the disc, right when Susie Ligattʻs credit appears.)

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, May 19 2008 @ 04:00 AM EDT
    The sound of drums or Murray Gold working the theme into the score.

After the opening four notes it's followed by 3 notes which sound like the "woo wey woo" part of the main theme.

Loved every minute of it no complaints. Granted I rarely complain about Who anyways.

Upper class WASPs menaced by...a giant wasp. To me it looked a yellowjacket but that's what we calls dem down here in der south ya'll!

By the way, I'm terribly allergic to wasp stings so I was a bit antsy whilst watching it. Big Grin

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 19 2008 @ 05:19 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] But thatʻs a Christie trademark. She would write her novels until the last chapter, then choose the least likely character to be the guilty party. Then sheʻd go back through the manuscript and edit appropriately. Completely appropriate to make it the vicar.

The real point is not whether you would have guessed it was him, but whether you actually did. I didnʻt. I was thinking it was the young footman (the sonʻs lover).

I see. OK. I am not familiar with Agatha Christie's material... Outside of the countless send-ups and parodies of this style of "who-done-it" that I have seen over and over again.

I did enjoy the gag of the Doctor pointing the finger at Donna and Agatha herself though when he was running down the list of potential people. Catching Donna right in mid-swallow. Classic.

Cheers,
    Louis
    I think it stands as a sort of testament to the ubiquity of Agatha Christie that we no longer recognize what made her great. The "least likely character" trope wasnʻt a trope in the early part of her career. She practically invented the murder mystery genre, or, if you prefer, so significantly tweaked it that she is the "mother" of the genre as we understand it today.

The truly sublime thing about that last scene in the TARDIS is that it makes the events of "The Unicorn and the Wasp" responsible for subconscious patterns running through Christieʻs career. "Thing is," the Tenth Doctor says, "I donʻt think she ever quite forgot. Great mind like that. Some of details kept bleeding through. All the stuff her imagination could use — like Miss Marple."

The implication of the episode really is that Agatha Christie as we know her today is "copyright Donna Noble".

So that in part is why I was kinda baffled by daveacʻs insistence in the PodshockLive that this wasnʻt a "real" historical, but merely a "historical setting". Sure, itʻs pseudo-historical, in that thereʻs an alien presence, but itʻs got its historical details about Christie pretty well on-target. Thus it involved the Doctor and his companion in actual historical events, even if theyʻre on a smaller scale than, say, "The Fires of Pompeii". Certainly, itʻs a more genuine historical than, say, "Black Orchid", which really has no basis in anything to do with actual historical figures or facts.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, May 19 2008 @ 10:00 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]There was the vespiform, a good monster and an attempt to be original
    Original? It was a giant bee...

[Quote  by:  stjohnny]Also the sexuality issues seemed a bit OTT. (IMHO)
    Really? I actually thought it was fairly tame by RTD standards...Torchwood anybody?

[Quote  by:  stjohnny]All the stuff in the trunk at the end. Ceaser was it? maybe?
    I liked this as well. I went back to still-frame that head shot, and still don't know what it was, or who it was supposed to be. Could be Ceaser. For a second, it looked like Solon's head sculpture of Morbius, but then I realized it was probably a bit too small, and also Tennant called it his "C" trunk I believe, and last I checked Morbius starts with "M".

- Good to see the actor who played Henry Gordon Jago. It really was amazing how little he seemed to age over the last 30 years!

- Not sure if this was the culmination for all of the "Where are the bees?" references earlier in the season...if so, the payoff was disappointing.

- Since when did Ken Jennings become an actor? I swear it was a couple of minutes before I could safely say he wasn't the actor playing the priest/vicar.

- I was a bit disappointed we didn't find out more about the Vespiform.

- I find it ironic that the title characters actually added very little to the story. The Unicorn girl was almost completely useless...maybe just thrown in to add a Christie-esque character to the mold? And the Wasp/Vespiform seemed like they were there because somebody felt the need to add an alien lifeform. I think it would've been great to have an alien-less episode, and with a few minor script tweaks this could've been a great standalone Who episode.

- I hope when my time on this Earth is coming to an end, I don't need to play charades to get my family to call 911. Yes, it was funny, but it completely takes away the sense of urgency of the situation. Also, at the dinner table The Doctor said that any one of them could've poisoned his water. Really??? cuz I think my money would be on the butler and he'd be the 1st one I questioned, if for no other reason than...I don't know...maybe because he was the one who actually served me the drink???

- One last thing: I think I'm used to the theme music now. I know a lot of people don't care for it, but I think I'm fine with it now. I won't say I'm crazy about it, but I like it enough to not really let it bother me anymore.

Despite all of these shortcomings, I enjoyed the episode a lot. I love the mystery atmosphere, although they could've done a little more to create a feeling of isolation at the estate. 3.5 out of 5 for me.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 19 2008 @ 10:55 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]There was the vespiform, a good monster and an attempt to be original
    Original? It was a giant bee...

What I meant was that we haven't seen a giant, flying sentient wasp in Doctor Who before. makes a change from a bipedal alien!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 19 2008 @ 11:00 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]Also the sexuality issues seemed a bit OTT. (IMHO)
    Really? I actually thought it was fairly tame by RTD standards...Torchwood anybody?

Maybe I was just drunk and maybe my mind is always in the gutter, but wasn't there a sort of mild BDSM reference? It did seem a little much for a family show though I'm sure the reference would probably go over a child's head.

I think Doctor Who should get loveable "Cassini Sisters" - save spanking & elicit gay sex for Torchwood. Wink

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored