The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    r/c Dalek Battle Pack w/ Doctor
    r/c Dalek Battle Pack w/ Doctor
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4 E8 Silence in the Library [SPOILERS!]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4 E8 Silence in the Library [SPOILERS!] Views: 7353
     Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 10:34 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]
    So, is Dave AC now Propper Dave? Oh my!

No he's "Aston Martin" Dave.

This episode was fantastic, hope next week doesn't let it all down. Looks like Alex Kingston is signed up for series 10 though.

I presume that saved means somewhere else with a manifestation in the library as part of the computer system, similar to the girl appearing as a security camera. Anyway, time will tell.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 10:53 PM EDT

So did you all catch the appearance of the "Robby the Robot" toy during The Doctor's conversation with The Girl?

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 11:21 PM EDT
    Wow that was cool!

AND the planet earth wasn't at stake!!

AND we get some mysteries to speculate on!!

Ahh very nice indeed! Too bad I'll have to sleep with the light on out of sheer terror.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 11:41 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magrathea]
    'Saved' is an expression describing the process whereby a person's head becomes one of those information things (as with Donna), I think that all 2000..whatever people who were saved but didn't survive became those things, hence 'Was donated BY this man on the OCCASION of his death'...um...apart from that...I'm just waiting to be amazed!!
    !

Could have been a lot more awful - I'm thinking of Tim Curry showing up in LEXX and doing that Damien Hirst-slice-up archival process on them! eeeek!!!!!

But seriously. I don't want Donna to be dead!!! Frown He's got to do something and we have three very strongly established precedents for bringing people back from "beyond" - tile face girl in Love & Monsters - Astrid - and now this "Ghosting" phenomenon.

Come ooooon Doctor! All he needs is some stickyback plastic, empty cardboard bog roll tubes, three rubber bands and to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow and she'll be back right as rain! (Hello MacGuyver!)

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 01:40 AM EDT
    WOW! Is all I can say, 5 out 5 in my books. It's stuff like this that makes me happy they choose Moffat to replace RTD. And I have a hopeful suspecion that Moffat put this River Song plot in their for future story archs.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 03:35 AM EDT
    Mr. Green Mr. Green

It is always a good episode when it ends and I realize I never checked the time.

I will join the chorus of praise for Moffat and this first parter. If the second part comes out as a let down, I am guessing it will be because of how he resolves the girl's experience with the Doctor's. I am not quite sure what a satisfying resolution will be, but I trust Moffat has something up his sleeve.

I am really intrigued by Prof. River Song's relationship to the Doctor. Even going back to episodes of Coupling, I enjoy how Moffat does fun things with time and how his characters and/or his audience are perceiving it.

I am psyched for next week and already excited to revisit this epi.

Oh- I don't think I saw a post anywhere, but the Jonathan Ross Podcast has some of David Tennant's interview from Ross' radio show. It is mostly about his upcoming role as Hamlet, but there is a little Doctor Who in there as well. I don't have a link for the feed, but you can find the podcast in most of the normal places like itunes or zune etc..

Coming to theaters this fall, Frau Blücher and Harpo Marx star in 'The Shadow Proclamation'!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 05:35 AM EDT
    I've just had a thought.... and don't read it if you don't like spoilers (it was funny how 'spoilers' kept cropping up in the episode - I think that was a shout out to us).

Here's my theory then...

I personally think that River Song (the woman who has a sonic screwdriver) is the little girl! Big Grin

Might be wrong though Confused

P.S. It is of course possible that this message is a trap. If it is I can deal with it. P.P.S. I'm leaving this note in case I can't!

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 06:57 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]

I presume that saved means somewhere else with a manifestation in the library as part of the computer system, similar to the girl appearing as a security camera. Anyway, time will tell.

I was thinking "saved" along the lines of "saved game". So it's just a case of finding out the restore command to get Donna (and all the others) back. Probably without them realising anything has happened.

Possible the girl (and her home) is the something akin to the computer dreaming. Without contact with people she's created an environment using data from the early 21st century.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 07:04 AM EDT
    I enjoyed this episode. It's been my favorite episode of the season. However, I'll be blunt: This season has been my least favorite since Doctor Who has returned. I'm getting tired of the same old tricks, same old story lines and the short episodes where everything is all nicely tied together. I miss the four or six parters of the classic era as there's more time to develop plot, characterization and intensity.

But back to this episode: Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the face on a slab as you know that Donna will be back (since we saw the mid season trailer and she was talking about Rose) so, again, there's no depth to the emotional payoff.

That's what I liked about earlier seasons: Rose and the Doctor were separated and they had to go their separate ways. There were consequences.

This episode is interesting and was somewhat spooky but I'm not sold on the "ghosting" aspect and the face on the slab. The story has the potential to be good, but typically modern Doctor Who two parters have been a let down. We shall see. Hopefully, I will be proved wrong.

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 08:34 AM EDT

Just a quick reminder that we are reviewing this episode on Doctor Who: Podshock LIVE at 12 PM EDT (US) on Talkshoe.com

You know the spiel...

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 09:00 AM EDT
    my money is on Wife (Though it was on Mother...) unless she is the one true think the doctor is related too... the prsonification of Time... she is the river (of times) song?

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 09:23 AM EDT
    And did the rest of you Mac users notice all the new Apple aluminium keyboards?

P.S. It is of course possible that this message is a trap. If it is I can deal with it. P.P.S. I'm leaving this note in case I can't!

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 09:29 AM EDT
    Initially I did have some reservations about a lot of being a bit of a retread of Blink - but even if that was true, if you're gonna do a bit of a revisit, you might as well pick possibly the best episode of RTD era Who. At the very least the episodes had a very similar tone.

One of my friends text me last night (who doesnt really do Doctor Who and was just watching it because it was on) saying that Catherine Tate is crap and she's a rubbish actress. I said I don't think she's a great actress (she's really a comedian) but I think she's a great companion (my personal favourite out of Rose/Freeman/Donna).

All I could think of when Lux spoke is the sappy, snakebite accountant he played in the truly brilliant "Blackpool".

And as a final thought there were some fantastic lines for Donna;
    "Can't you sonic it? Use the thingy! You mean it DOESN'T DO wood??? GET OUT THE WAY!!"

5/5.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 10:08 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] So I am now going to go on record and say that this is my favourite season since Doctor Who returned. In my opinion season 4 has had the strongest consecutive run of episodes to date.
    Couldn't disagree more, but to each their own...

[Quote  by:  Magrathea]I hate to think that she is a female doctor in a future Regeneration...it screams Curse of Fatal Death
    An interesting theory that I hadn't thought of. However, I doubt it for 2 reasons: First, The Doctor has said he can sense other Time Lords and would probably know she was a Time Lord, certainly if she was a future regeneration of his. Second, she sent him a request for help, and The Doctor wouldn't cross his own time line unless it was absolutely necessary (i.e. to prevent the end of the universe or something). I don't think saving a few thousand lives on a single planet would constitute enough of a reason).

[Quote  by:  timeflight]I personally think that River Song (the woman who has a sonic screwdriver) is the little girl!
    This was/is my thinking as well. There's more to this little girl than we know, and I think we're obviously in for some kind of plot twist involving her.

[Quote  by:  Mohan]However, I'll be blunt: This season has been my least favorite since Doctor Who has returned. I'm getting tired of the same old tricks, same old story lines and the short episodes where everything is all nicely tied together.
    Second'ed

[Quote  by:  Mohan]But back to this episode: Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the face on a slab as you know that Donna will be back (since we saw the mid season trailer and she was talking about Rose) so, again, there's no depth to the emotional payoff.
    Yeah, I can't believe some people are actually thinking Donna is gone. The thought never even crossed my mind. It lacked any kind of emotional good-bye associated with most companions leaving.

[Quote  by:  Louis]I am glad they finally used the time traveling aspect that the Doctor could met up with someone that he's met in his future so that they would know him but not visa versa. That was the most interesting part of this episode for me.
    I loved it also. I have always hoped they'd deal with The Doctor and time travel in this aspect as well. Unless the little girl turns out to be River Song, then we're sure to see her again in the future. But if so, then the question begs to be asked: Is she familiar with Tenant's Doctor, or a future regeneration of The Doctor?

- I think all of the hype stirred up over the last few weeks with Moffat taking over for RTD may have sent my expectations for this episode skyrocketing to a level that was almost unreasonable to live up to.

- I like the potential for the story. The isolated setting and the dark tone make for a scary episode. A nice throwback to classic Who, that most of the new series episodes seem to lack.

- Could be that I was seeing things, but I thought that the 2 pictures hanging on the wall in the little girl's apartment behind the psychologist dude looked a lot like Rose and a (Bad) Wolf. Happened around 31:37 of my copy of the episode. Anybody else confirm?

- I admit I was wrong about Donna's potential as a companion. She's turned out to be very stong, and probably the best of the new series bunch so far. However, I think this was her weakest story yet. Aside from a joke or 2, she didn't add much.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 04:33 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BenjaminElliott]
    The one good side about being ill is that I'll be home when Podshock starts for the first time and I should be able to call in. If Lisa is feeling up to it, she had good theories about the episode too.

Glad you got on the show.

An what a show - 2h 5m! and full of great points.

In some ways it was frustrating to watch (episode 8 that is) as nothing was resolved - but I'm hoping the payoff (and a big payoff) will be next week.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored