The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The Master (Gordon Tipple)
    The Master (Gordon Tipple)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4 E8 Silence in the Library [SPOILERS!]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4 E8 Silence in the Library [SPOILERS!] Views: 6928
     Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 01:50 PM EDT
    So theories on River Song:
    1. Wife/ lover – don’t believe so. The way she asked him if certain isolated events had occurred yet would indicate that their relationship isn’t/hasn’t recently been one where they have spent long periods of time together in her recent past. More like they bump into each other every so often.
    2. Family member – I agree with whoever it was that mentioned the fact that surely he would sense another time lord (but would the same work for non-time lord Gallifreyans?)
    3. Ex-wife/lover – possibly – she addresses him as “sweetie” when she first sees him. Could be that they left on very good terms.
    4. Companion – for me the most likely scenario – she used to be a companion and now he just bumps into / visits her every so often
    5. Big Fat Liar – also a strong possibility – that everything she is telling him is a ruse to lead him into a false sense of security – what if he sneaks a peek inside the TARDIS book and it’s empty?
    Mmmm. Anything I’ve missed?

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 01:57 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] So theories on River Song:
    1. Wife/ lover – don’t believe so. The way she asked him if certain isolated events had occurred yet would indicate that their relationship isn’t/hasn’t recently been one where they have spent long periods of time together in her recent past. More like they bump into each other every so often.
    2. Family member – I agree with whoever it was that mentioned the fact that surely he would sense another time lord (but would the same work for non-time lord Gallifreyans?)
    3. Ex-wife/lover – possibly – she addresses him as “sweetie” when she first sees him. Could be that they left on very good terms.
    4. Companion – for me the most likely scenario – she used to be a companion and now he just bumps into / visits her every so often
    5. Big Fat Liar – also a strong possibility – that everything she is telling him is a ruse to lead him into a false sense of security – what if he sneaks a peek inside the TARDIS book and it’s empty?

She could be a construct of the library...
    She could be The Rani... (for all those begging for her return, blech)
    She could be the little girl... all grown up.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 03:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] So theories on River Song:

Regarding #3, I wondered about the use of "sweetie" as well. Until my boyfriend pointed out that I call people "sweetie" when I'm annoyed with them, or just being overly patronizing. Perhaps Ms. Song is of the same sarcastic bent?

I definitely think though, that there must be some sort of strong relationship there. But, Ms. Song is an archeologist, maybe her area of expertise is the Doctor, so she feels closer to him than she actually is? Like some stalker chick?

Didn't someone say earlier than Kingston has signed on for a show in 2010? Is ther more details somewhere on that? (been away for too long to have kept u with it all).

I don't know how I feel about this episode yet. I'm completely reserving judgement until after next week. Though those faces on the poles thing ("donna noble has been saved") really gave me the creeps.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 04:37 PM EDT

The insane River Song speculation that has erupted over the past several days 'net-wide is just hilarious to me. People over @ AICN are actually trying to validate in the episode talkback that she could be everyone from Captain Jack with a sex-change to Romana - even Rose in some altered form. Dear god - the 'Moff must be rolling in the floor right about now.

I must agree with something someone else there said, though - why not just accept the validity of a new character introduced into the canon - must it always be someone/something else in disguise? I think the punchline to the build-up on who she actually is and all the stuffing to fill the turkey, too is likely going to be left unserved, folks. I just doubt we're going to get a tidey explanation that quickly. Maybe one day in the 2010 series or beyond, but not in the second part of this story. Just doesn't seem likely to me. I could be wrong, though.

For what it's worth, this was indeed a splendid episode - not "Blink-ing" brilliant, but up there. Of course, with all 2-parters, some amount of certainty to the overall genius of it remains undetermined until after this week's conclusion. I feel it will be good, though - Moffat wouldn't just half-ass something with this kind of potential - a decent payoff is sure to follow.

And yes, I am sincerely terrified of the dust in sunbeams now. It's like I'm 9 years old all over again - thanks, Steven. Razz

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 04:46 PM EDT

We're in the Biography section of the Library

Riversong has what looks like a notebook on the Doctors 'lives'

She notices how young his eyes are.

So is she his Biographer with him on the deathbed of his 13th life - could it be as straight- forward as that?

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 04:57 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

We're in the Biography section of the Library

Riversong has what looks like a notebook on the Doctors 'lives'

She notices how young his eyes are.

So is she his Biographer with him on the deathbed of his 13th life - could it be as straight- forward as that?

Cheers, daveac

Interesting theory, Dave. I like it.

I'm still drooling over the possibility of this "older Doctor" she's come to know so well eventually turning out to be the perfect, still as-of-yet uncast choice for the mold of that type of regeneration once more, should it pan out as alluded to in the coming years:

C'mon, 'Moff! Bill is THE choice for this! Twisted Evil

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 05:06 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]
    I'm still drooling over the possibility of this "older Doctor" she's come to know so well

They could be preparing the way for an older actor.

Make way for:-

Main Dave
    Aston-Martin Dave
    007 Dave

I promise I'll bring Zoe back with me!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 05:13 PM EDT
    Did she actually mean another Doctor? She could have meant an older 10th Doctor.

Anyway, we've had enough of a sterotypical 'btits' with their 'british accents'. I thought the casting of Chris Eccelston changed that.

Bill Nighy should never be allowed near Doctor Who! What next? Hugh Grant as The Master? Neutral

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 05:15 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]
    I'm still drooling over the possibility of this "older Doctor" she's come to know so well

They could be preparing the way for an older actor.

Make way for:-

Main Dave
    Aston-Martin Dave
    007 Dave

I promise I'll bring Zoe back with me!

Cheers, daveac

Indeed - you need to take Wendy for a spin in that cracking sweet new ride! Then she'd be sold on returning! Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 05:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] Bill Nighy should never be allowed near Doctor Who! What next? Hugh Grant as The Master? Neutral

Oh, I love Bill Nighy - his role in underworld showed that he could play a much darker doctor with a touch of menace to him. Tap back into that rich vein that Colin Baker was never fully allowed to.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 05:26 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] What next? Hugh Grant as The Master? Neutral

Moffat already had Hugh Grant as the Twelfth Doctor... Wink Twisted Evil

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 05:27 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] Did she actually mean another Doctor? She could have meant an older 10th Doctor.

There has been some speculation to that as well in various fan circles. I don't think it's an older 10th, though. But it could be, I suppose. I just got the impression that with so much "spoilage" hidden away in that book of hers, we're talking a good ways off from now - and that entails a regeneration - or two. In IMO, anyway.

[Quote  by:  cybercolin] Bill Nighy should never be allowed near Doctor Who! What next? Hugh Grant as The Master? Neutral

To each his own. I think Bill would do wonderful things with the role. Hugh Grant as the Master? Lol - erm, not so much there. Smile

[Quote  by:  Idiom] Oh, I love Bill Nighy - his role in underworld showed that he could play a much darker doctor with a touch of menace to him. Tap back into that rich vein that Colin Baker was never fully allowed to.

Exactly, my good sir. Twisted Evil

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 05:29 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] What next? Hugh Grant as The Master? Neutral

Moffat already had Hugh Grant as the Twelfth Doctor... Wink Twisted Evil

Good point, Taras. I'm sure there's more I could add to that... but... "I'll explain later" - lol. Mr. Green

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 05:36 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] Did she actually mean another Doctor? She could have meant an older 10th Doctor.

It seemed to be the eyes she focused on - rather than the face.

I took it to mean - that since it was she that sent the message - she knew he was the 'doctor' when they arrived but it was the 'young eyes' that she noticed.

If we believe that part of the doctor lives through each re-generation - it would be the brightness of the eyes that would indicate their current (sorry 'total' ) age as it were.

Cheers, daveac

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 06:34 PM EDT

If we believe that part of the doctor lives through each re-generation - it would be the brightness of the eyes that would indicate their current (sorry 'total' ) age as it were.

Cheers, daveac

A man with a kite once told me that he could tell how old people are by a combination of the expression in their eyes and the encroachment of a blood-shot patch on the inside corner of the whites that all disenchanted people over the age of 25 develop.

Anyway he's what, 800 something years old? Pfft! A human lifetime is a drop int he bucket to a Timelord even with replaceable organs n such extending our lives. But yet yes, she did seem to act like he should recognize him regardless...

Maybe she's some kind of Captain Jack offshoot. Or is that too weird? Or maybe she's Jenny's daughter.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored