The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 28
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 28
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  2009: quick question
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    2009: quick question Views: 1345
     Friday, June 06 2008 @ 10:57 AM EDT
    quick question

what do we call next season?

season 4b? season 5? the 2009 mini season? season 31? the special year?

Somewhere the tea is getting cold
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, June 06 2008 @ 01:34 PM EDT

I am calling it the 2009 series... Just as I call the current series the 2008 series. It is as simple as that. This whole restarting with the numbering of the series in 2005 is bollocks to me. It only serves to confuse people.

There were plenty of Doctor Who series before "Series 1" -- we were just calling them "seasons" at the time.

I remember an incident when "Series 1" first came to DVD, there was a retailer (I can't recall which now) that had it available for pre-order and in it's description it had William Hartnell and 1963 leading people to believe that there was going to be a complete box set of the first William Hartnell season available. It was an error, it was really the Christopher Eccelston "series 1"...

Doctor Who premiered in 1963, not 2005 people. If you wanted this to be separate, perhaps it should have been called something else or make it a remake. The fact that it continues the adventures from the first 8 Doctors means that it should just be a continuation of the original series.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, June 06 2008 @ 01:41 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]I am calling it the 2009 series... Just as I call the current series the 2008 series. It is as simple as that. This whole restarting with the numbering of the series in 2005 is bollocks to me. It only serves to confuse people.

I'm fine with either actually (series 1, or series 2005). I've gotten used to them both. But for sake of conversation, do you then consider The Christmas Invasion part of the 2005 series? To me, the season finale is pretty much the end of the season (The Parting of the Ways). I more or less think of TCI as Series 2 - episode 0. But that's just me...

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, June 06 2008 @ 01:49 PM EDT

The Christmas Invasion comes with the Series Two box set...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, June 06 2008 @ 07:25 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

I am calling it the 2009 series... Just as I call the current series the 2008 series. It is as simple as that. This whole restarting with the numbering of the series in 2005 is bollocks to me. It only serves to confuse people.
    This is still an issue? Maybe I'm inclined to go with "starting over" from my long interest in comic books, but as far as I'm concerned, it's completely appropriate for a new series with an old name to start renumbering at #1. Calling Tennant's third year Doctor Who (2005): Series 4 is the only thing that makes any sense to me.

Once you get well and truly cancelled, and there's a substantial gap of time before you start producing new episodes, you have to consider the new programme a whole new production. Especially if there's a wholesale change of production staff. Briefly cancelled shows, like Family Guy and Jericho can get by with keeping the returning seasons under the same numbering schemes — largely because they were rescued from cancellation, involve the same staff, and have the same format. But with Doctor Who, you're talking a 15-year gap. A huge chunk of the original audience for Eccleston's year wouldn't have even recognized that there was a preceding show. And another huge chunk of people might have stopped watching long before the original show limped to its demise. I would think that the majority of the 2005 audience either didn't have an experience of the old show at all, or hadn't seen it since around the time Colin Baker took over from Peter. You're also talking about a totally different format. While respectful of the old series, 2005 offered a soft, but clear, reboot.

More to the point, it's clearly the artists' intent that it be regarded as a "new series", as RTD was keen to market it as "Series 1" (while allowing that older fans might think of it as S27) precisely because he wanted people to view it as something primarily intended for a new audience. That decision should, IMO, be honored.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Saturday, June 07 2008 @ 01:25 AM EDT

Seems like they are trying to have it both ways, in my opinion.

Just like the Torchwood promotional material claiming it was from the creators of Doctor Who... Really? Sidney Newman had a hand in Torchwood?

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, June 07 2008 @ 02:32 AM EDT

Seems like they are trying to have it both ways, in my opinion.

Just like the Torchwood promotional material claiming it was from the creators of Doctor Who... Really? Sidney Newman had a hand in Torchwood?

Cheers,
    Louis

The BBC created Doctor Who and Torchwood... what's the problem?

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, June 07 2008 @ 06:08 AM EDT
    didnt the american TW poster have Gardner and Davies name on it?

Anway. the 2009 specials are probably what Ill go with.

Somewhere the tea is getting cold
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 07 2008 @ 07:37 AM EDT
    I'm calling it series 4.5 or 30.5 for whichever boat your in. They are still part of series 4 in my mind.
    But that's just me.

bye bye david :(

Saturday, June 07 2008 @ 07:44 AM EDT
    I'm keeping them separate ala the TV Movie, but I will count the 2009 Christmas episode as the first episode of series 5.

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 04:41 PM EDT
    I just watched an interview with RTD on This Morning (I think that's what the show was called) from July 4th. RTD said there were four specials "yet to come."

So, here's my question: Is that a Christmas special plus three OR a Christmas special plus four one hour shows in 2009?

(he did confirm the specials were only one hour: durn it!)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 04:52 PM EDT

With respect, you're approaching this as a long term Doctor Who Fan and in this day and age, we are in the minority not the majority. There are millions of people out there who enjoy the show week after week and would call themselves fans but are not aware of Doctor Who's rich past.

IMHO, when they brought the series back starting from 'series 1' was the correct thing to do. The fans were always going to know what's what, people who had never heard of Doctor Who didn't have to worry about joining in the middle of something and people who hated classic Doctor Who could be assured that this was something new and different!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 05:45 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1]
    and people who hated classic Doctor Who could be assured that this was something new and different!

Hated Classic Who!

Name one......OK.....name two.....OK.....name three.....OK....name

I give up.

Classic Who can only now be enjoyed by those of us (that as Louis would say) can watch with our 1960's glasses on.

As I said on PodShock I'd rather RTD hadn't taken DR Who in this direction - but I think he wrapped it all up rather nicely.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 06:04 PM EDT
    The current Doctor Who is a new series with a proud legacy but profoundly different sensibilities for a modern era. It's entirely fitting to call its 2005 season "Series 1."

Given that Torchwood is produced by the current creators of Doctor Who, I have no problem with the DVD statement as well.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 07:25 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    Classic Who can only now be enjoyed by those of us (that as Louis would say) can watch with our 1960's glasses on.

I should hope not!

Perhaps on an aesthetic level, but as one of the new fans to all things Who, there is still good drama and writing in those shows that don't require 60's/70's/80's glasses. (granted there is a lot of not good drama at times too).

I am a sucker for origin stories, and when it comes to the new series, there 8 doctors worth of origin story for me to explore still, and I have been loving the chance to explore his past and find myself pulled into some of these old stories just as much as the new ones.

Coming to theaters this fall, Frau Blücher and Harpo Marx star in 'The Shadow Proclamation'!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored