The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    12" Tenth Doctor Action Figure and 12" r/c Dalek
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4e9 Forest of the Dead [Spoilers]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4e9 Forest of the Dead [Spoilers] Views: 4955
     Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 06:12 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] First, no, there doesn't need to be another one. If the next one's older, it all fits. She would have seen him regenerate, as she mentioned regeneration, so it could easily have been his regeneration into whatever Doctor she fell in love with.

But doesn't she need to be with Doc 10 for a while? Even if she's seen him regenerate and spent more time with him as Doc 11? It's Doc 9 that she's asking "Have we done this yet? or this? or this?"

OR is it even possible that she's been with Doc 11 because if she was with 11 she would be even more surprised to see him as 10 and not 11 since in her current timeline 10 is gone?

OR OR Isn't there the possibility that he now won't meet her at all because she's come back and died in this timeline? Effectively wiping her from existence. Doc 9 said something to Rose about this in The Unquiet Dead?

Oh, all this theorizing is giving me a headache. Ouch

Pat

"Don't play as if you've swallowed the metronome!" -- Nadia Boulanger
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 07:23 PM EDT
    [Quote I'll have a pint of whatever you lot are on! I thought the story fell well short of Steven Moffatt's eariler works. But to be fair that standard is almost impossible to keep up.

But still, I was rather disapointed that the Doctor's name is now a sticking point. Previously The Doctor had just glossed over it and his only alias was John Smith (and that has already been overused in the new series)!

And then there is the whole Donna plot. That world of hers just semmed pointless and proved what a numpty we all saw in the Runaway Bride, she is. Then there is this total under use of Steve Pemberton. A brilliant witer/actor reduced to saying a few lines that didn't suit him, much like John Hurt in the new Indy movie.

I can bet you, if RTD or anyone else had wrote this episode, the vast majorty of DW fans will be panning it. It reminds me when Helen Raynor wrote two AVERAGE (not bad!) episodes last year, her two episodes this year (in my view) have been the best this eeries. I don't think the word 'fickle' is enough to describe some DW 'fans'!

But I did love the final bit with River but The Doctor clicking his fingers to open the TARDIS? Please!

Okay, I admit that was a tiny bit harsh. I was a little bit tired and had one too many ginger beers! I watched it again and I loved it! Although the Doctor's name bit and the clicking fingers still grates me! my 'not harsh' review

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 08:22 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  actorguy]
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] First, no, there doesn't need to be another one. If the next one's older, it all fits. She would have seen him regenerate, as she mentioned regeneration, so it could easily have been his regeneration into whatever Doctor she fell in love with.

But doesn't she need to be with Doc 10 for a while? Even if she's seen him regenerate and spent more time with him as Doc 11? It's Doc 9 that she's asking "Have we done this yet? or this? or this?"

Seems to me that if she was never with the 10th Doctor, then I don't think she would have asked whether or not he'd been to certain places. (Or maybe she's just going by what is written near the beginning of the diary and not from personal experience?)

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 08:43 PM EDT
    Well, I did like the two episodes together. Very nice - maybe 4.5 out of 5.

I liked River Song, but once we got to the point of her whispering in the Doctor's ear, I really started thinking back to the first episode, wondering why she had to introduce herself to the Doctor? Was this like something the two of them did? Play games like they didn't really know each other?

What the heck happened to Pemberton at the end? He told us that CAL was family and then did we ever see him again?

Who were the three kids that River Song had at the end? Joshua and Ella (ellia?) - the fake kids everyone had, and then who? CAL? I just couldn't be sure?

So, does Donna not really know just how old the Doctor is? Why does she really question why River doesn't know who she is? It stands to reason that he'll outlive everyone, so why does this surprise her? Or, wait... Are they killing her off at the end of the series? Maybe she'll find her 51st century man (I think this ep was in that century) and live happily ever after.... doubtful.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 09:09 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]

Who were the three kids that River Song had at the end? Joshua and Ella (ellia?) - the fake kids everyone had, and then who? CAL? I just couldn't be sure?

I took it to be Donnas particular 'two children' plus CAL.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 09:12 PM EDT
    Somebody help me and please forgive me if this question has already been covered...

When River Song first talks to the Doctor in Episode 8, I thought she was assuming that this Doctor was in a future "regenerative" form until she noticed how young his eyes looked. Did anybody else get that impression? I didn't think she recognized him physically, so much as recognized his "presence" and Doctor-like demeanor.

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, but I'll review it after a second viewing.

Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 09:17 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Fairport] Somebody help me and please forgive me if this question has already been covered...

When River Song first talks to the Doctor in Episode 8, I thought she was assuming that this Doctor was in a future "regenerative" form until she noticed how young his eyes looked. Did anybody else get that impression? I didn't think she recognized him physically, so much as recognized his "presence" and Doctor-like demeanor.

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, but I'll review it after a second viewing.

Well she wasn't 'surprised' by his looks - and in Episode 9 she only says he had a different hair-cut and suit - not that he was a 'changed' man.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 09:28 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  Fairport] Somebody help me and please forgive me if this question has already been covered...

Well she wasn't 'surprised' by his looks - and in Episode 9 she only says he had a different hair-cut and suit - not that he was a 'changed' man.

Cheers, daveac

But she had earlier said that this Doctor was not "her Doctor". I thought she was speaking of a later regeneration, thus "her Doctor" got a different hair cut and suit, not the 10th Doctor. You could be completely right though, Dave. I need to see these episodes again.

Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 09:33 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Fairport]

But she had earlier said that this Doctor was not "her Doctor". I thought she was speaking of a later regeneration, thus "her Doctor" got a different hair cut and suit, not the 10th Doctor. You could be completely right though, Dave. I need to see these episodes again.

They have probably left is unclear on purpose Wink

So they have options.

Cheers, daveac

Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 09:38 PM EDT
    I only just watched both parts tonight.

Don't think I've seen this mentioned, but did the creepy Space Suit Skeletons remind anyone of that similarly-costumed old Scooby Doo Villain, The Spooky Space Kook?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 09:57 PM EDT
    Alright, I have a few more silly and rambling questions on my mind just before I watch this episode a second time. River Song is now living a matrix-like life inside the hard drive? Is she stuck there for eternity? If so, shouldn't she have been given the choice between a life inside the computer and death?

Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 11:26 PM EDT

Sarah Jane said the same thing about the eyes in School Reunion. Maybe that's how you recognize him after regenerations.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 08 2008 @ 11:40 PM EDT
    Just finished watching the episode and confidential. I haven't had time to read through the thread yet, but I'll ditto the first post. Wow. Just wow.

I thought this was a great two parter, possibly the best (but I'd have to do a head-to-head viewing with Empty Child/Doctor Dances to be sure...who wrote that again? Oh yeah.) 5 out of 5, from me. It's my favorite of the series, but my wife likes Pompei better. I'll read through the thread tomorrow and try to give a more detailed post. I have to try going to bed, but it's hot and humid in Chicago so that may be difficult without putting the A/C on.

I definitely look forward to the Moffet era.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 09 2008 @ 01:06 AM EDT
    I'll just repeat my thoughts from elsewhere:

At the end of this one, I really felt that this would've been a great season finale.

I thought the 1st party was a bit uneven, but this episode just hit everything spot on without being over the top and all that.

I like how Moffat presented the time travel conundrum of meeting somebody that knows you in your future. I actually hope they bring Kingston back to delve into this more in the future.

I also get the impression that Song only knows the Doctor from this regeneration, not future ones, and she's simply talking about him as she will see him in the Doctor's future, when he's aged some more.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 09 2008 @ 06:10 AM EDT
    I did like these two episodes, but I am not going to try and speculate on what regeneration the doctor was (or will be) and who River Song is to him. It's all left vague, with hints, on purpose. That's the whole point of "spoilers" being talked about so often. Moffet needs to leave room for the show to grow and he'll be able to fill in those gaps (or not) when the time comes. It's an interesting bit of writing and something that the TV show "Lost" has been experimenting with this season. On "Lost" (for those of you who don't watch it), we saw glimpses of the future and got to see the characters interacting after the present time--then you'd be brought back to the present.

It was a rather effective way to tell the story. Now I know that these two episodes didn't go down that path exactly, but it was interesting enough to be enjoyable. However, there's two times this season that I thought we had some powerful deaths and everything was made fine at the end. That's a bit odd. We have the Doctor's daughter floating around the universe and now River still alive. I'm not sure I liked that.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored