The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  

Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4e10 Midnight [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4e10 Midnight [SPOILERS] Views: 4314
     Saturday, June 14 2008 @ 06:35 PM EDT

The podcast commentary is interesting—it's the audio guys talking about all the sound effects.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, June 14 2008 @ 06:42 PM EDT

I didn't hate it, that much I'll say. But living in the US of A, we have seen the post 911 parinoia "Self Analysis" peice several dozen times since that awful event. This one just had wispers in the background. I echo Taras' statement that Rose's appearnce is a non-sequitor as this is not in the "Now", it is a streatch to have her somehow "attached" to him and his TARDIS independantly. And I must ask, what is with the prop phone Donna was using? I could still see the RJ11 jack for goodness sakes.

Cheers,
    Merlin

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Saturday, June 14 2008 @ 07:10 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tin Dog Podcast] I am sorry to gout on a limb too but I have to say this was even better than I hoped it would be. his is RTDs best script ever. ok second maybe to rose.
    The acting was superb and I simply loved it.
    This season is one I will be watching time abd again. Oh and congrats to RTD on his OBE and this being the 50th NuWho too!

Hooray! I'm in tune with the Tin Dog! (I loved Love & Monsters...don't hate me TD). Lesley Sharp was absolutely superb, and the other characters were well performed.
    By the way, Tin Dog, just entered the land of "Oh my god, my outgoings are greater than my income", thanks to rising interest rates, petrol, food, etc, and you just had to dangle all of those lovely DVDs in your latest Podcast (which was great as usual). I now feel really down!! But don't let that put you off. I've always got the Lotto to hope for!! The podcast is great, keep it up, (as I think I've said before), you too Louis.
    Sod the OBE, I hereby start the petition for Lord RTD of Mumbles!

Excallibur? Blizard? ...Bikini Cops?
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 14 2008 @ 08:52 PM EDT

Well for the second week in a row my main thought after watching an episode of Doctor Who was 'clever'

Although is had the feel of a 'filler' episode I had to admire the writing - and even more the editing.

In fact I would say this was the best 'edited' and directed piece of Doctor Who I've ever watched.

You could 'cut' yourself on the precision of the whole piece.

To me it was a very good 'stand alone' episode.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, June 14 2008 @ 10:07 PM EDT

Since it is Fathers Day here tomorrow... And I won't be around for the Podcasts Frown

Awesome episode! great acting... engaging story where for once the
    monster was not the main focus.. Russel excels again at writing
    people.. 5 Tardis Groans for me, far better than last weeks episode (Sorry Steven).

Oh and Yes... I did interview Gigi Edgley.. just in case you were wondering... yes Gigi... Chiana from Farscape, Yup I interviewed her... in person you know... face to face... Yup! Me!

"Oh and Yes... I did interview Gigi Edgley.. just in case you were wondering... yes Gigi... Chiana from Farscape, Yup I interviewed her... in person you know...
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 14 2008 @ 10:17 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  The6thDoctor] Oh and Yes... I did interview Gigi Edgley.. just in case you were wondering... yes Gigi... Chiana from Farscape, Yup I interviewed her... in person you know... face to face... Yup! Me!

Deep breaths... deep breaths! Smile And quit rubbing it in!

Saturday, June 14 2008 @ 10:28 PM EDT

Rub rub rub rub rub

Gigi.....*sigh*

But again... one of the best episodes this season and wasn't David Troughton wonderful if eerily familiar Smile

"Oh and Yes... I did interview Gigi Edgley.. just in case you were wondering... yes Gigi... Chiana from Farscape, Yup I interviewed her... in person you know...
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 14 2008 @ 10:48 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  The6thDoctor]
    Rub rub rub rub rub

Gigi.....*sigh*

Ian Please, there are children present! Eek!

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Saturday, June 14 2008 @ 10:56 PM EDT
    I am a bit surprised by the initial reaction to this one. This is probably my favorite RTD episode. It was taut and extremely well paced. The performances were magnificent and it really made the most of such a simple design.

You have the Doctor out of his realm which is so rarely the case fighting an enemy that cannot be planned for. This was very much an actor driven episode and the performances make or break it for you. I found them absolutely engrossing and engaging.

I would put this up there as one of my favorite episodes even though it does not fit the traditional Doctor Who mold. I was honestly prepared for this one to be a groaner based on the trailer from last week. Lesley Sharp was terrifying as the "Midnight creature". I am partly biased because as an actor I am seeing all of these little things that take such a tremendous amount of self-awareness to pull off and Tennant and Sharp did so tremendously.

Formerly that jerk Jagoscourage
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 14 2008 @ 10:57 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]
    [Quote  by:  The6thDoctor]
    Rub rub rub rub rub

Gigi.....*sigh*

Ian Please, there are children present! Eek!

How did I not see that one approaching... Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 14 2008 @ 11:27 PM EDT
    It isn't often that I have to prepare myself to suffer through an episode of Doctor Who, but last weeks trailer had me feeling cautious about this episode. But, as with the rest of the season, it was another pleasant surprise.

It ranks among my favorites of RTD's scripts, and he really did a great job of weaving the humour in with the suspense. The bit where the Doctor is testing out the monster/alien/enigma/bangy knocker thingy's repetition skills was wonderful.

And as much as I enjoyed it, I do wish the monster was a bit more developed. Last time out we had a supposedly non-sentient being able to reasoned with. This time we had something which was deliberately gaining some sort of consciousness, and we never got to see it played out.

As far as Rose popping up, that was ok with me. If we did go from ep1 to ep11 w/out seeing her we would probably be grumbling that we never saw her in those in between episodes. That said, it would be nice to have a good explanation for how and why we have seen her when we do.

Coming to theaters this fall, Frau Blücher and Harpo Marx star in 'The Shadow Proclamation'!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 14 2008 @ 11:52 PM EDT

Davies has taken a silly concept and made it tense and scary as opposed to taking a serious and scary concept and make it silly. And what do you know? It works! Sometimes you don't need the flashy effects throughout the episode... though the sparse CGI work was nice, but not over done. I like that we didn't get to see the nameless creature in its original form.

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 01:14 AM EDT
    I see the name Davies, and I can't but wonder if it's hit or miss.

This episode, imo, is a hit.

I think this shows where Davies' writing is better suited: with the characters and story kept rather simple but driven toward a single purpose. These tend to be much better than his season finales, which seem to go for grander and grander concepts, and end up getting worse and worse.

Basically, what tarashnat said, since he said it better. Smile

And since we know the final episodes are of the 'grand' variety, I withhold judgment on whether Davies has gotten over the crap-hump. Confused

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 01:18 AM EDT
    Really enjoyed this one. I liked how the setting was simple yet so much was done with it. The "closet" feeling and the characters succumbing to their primal fears and paranoia made this one of my favorite episodes. Definitely will be watching this one a couple of times more.
    Also the trailer got me pumped for the last three episodes.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 01:26 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  The6thDoctor] Oh and Yes... I did interview Gigi Edgley.. just in case you were wondering... yes Gigi... Chiana from Farscape, Yup I interviewed her... in person you know... face to face... Yup! Me!

Deep breaths... deep breaths! Smile And quit rubbing it in!

I don't know how this got into the thread, but I met Gigi last year at DragonCon. She was hilarious!. (and cute, too!).

Back on track- I really liked 'Midnight'. Yes, David Tennant's acting was brilliant. again.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored