The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Steven Moffat
    Steven Moffat
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4e10 Midnight [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4e10 Midnight [SPOILERS] Views: 4596
     Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 04:11 AM EDT
    A fine effort by RTD I thought; something completely different, unique from him. I like the cardboard box analogy from earlier. Well I absolutely loved this (and I hadn’t had a few drinks for a change). For me that was like watching a Pinter play set in outer space. It was ominous, truly scary and good to see the Doctor on the back foot for once – in the dark as much as the other characters.
    What I liked: the Doctor actually doing the tourist thing for once – he’s a traveller after all – the greatest of all travellers – of course he would do things like that and it is believable that Donna might just for once chose to stay behind sunbathing; how the Doctor becomes the charming stranger and manages to get everybody talking, he has a magnetic, charismatic personality that too often is hidde due to the dramatic rush of events; the interaction between the characters, the portrayal of the power of paranoia within a group, how the characters flipped back and forth and led each other to heights of panic; the simplicity of how fear was created through repetition and the simultaneous speaking of the...thing – very effectively done; the claustrophobia of the story – we needed no huge set pieces here – this small space suited the story perfectly.
    What I didn’t like so much: maybe just the speed of the resolution – which jarred ever so slightly for me with the slow build up of tension earlier.
    But overall something new and gripping; very well-done; superb acting from the supporting characters; and an unresolved mystery that needed to remain unresolved for it to retain the fear created and its impact.The fact that there are things out there that even the Doctor does not understand. Very nice indeed. 4 out of 5 for me and still this strong season goes on.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 06:49 AM EDT
    I thought this was as good an episode as we've had this series. I've just watched it (Sunday morning) and I've come to the thread from the TV; it simply made me want to come and post about how good it was.

Geniunely sinister in places, and a great use of an ensemble cast.

5/5.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 07:48 AM EDT
    This was a very scary episode. Close, claustrophobic, good actors for the most part, perhaps with the exception of the stewardess.

The paranoia and mob mentality has rarely been done better in a recent TV show.

It was very interesting to see the Doctor more scared of 6 humans than he ever has been of 1000 Daleks.

Because he knows enough about human nature to be scared.

When a mob gets going, it's near impossible to stop.

What was slightly strange was the change in the Stewardess. She was convinced the creature was in the Doctor until that last second. I would have thought Dina (or what was her name? The student) would have been the one to jump and push her out the door, finally.

But this was an intense episode, and I'll tell you my daughter was more scared of this episode than any she's seen so far. She was FREAKED OUT! Especially during those moments when the woman wouldn't turn around.

This was an excellently-executed episode.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 09:45 AM EDT
    I also liked this for several reasons but it felt it was missing something in a couple spots. 3.5-4/5

I liked:
    The humans interrogation of the Doctor, the whole I'm clever and they are like what does that make us. In the end even the teenager was on the mob side.
    The fear was well acted. The doctor getting to know the people for a few hours before they turn on him was good.

Missing or would have added in my opinion.

The creature went from physical in that it was seen and tore off the front of the truck and even dented the side: but after it gets "in" the women the whole physical aspect was dropped. I think it should have been either physical or mental but not both. The part where the cab was ripped off was not needed; I think maybe the drivers could have been killed in another way.
    Like they open the shades to see if they see the creature and it blows through them causing them to die on the way to the women, like it had to scan them or something.

The student of the professors basically saves the Doctor by convincing the Hostess to take the women possessed out. I think the doctor could have thrown her a thank you or maybe pointed her in the direction of that lost moon they were talking about.

Sometimes the Doctor could be a bit nicer to people like this that help him, but he seems to just move on so fast sometimes like it doesn't matter.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the Universe." - Carl Sagan

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 10:04 AM EDT
    I just had another thought.

The way the creature was living on a in hospitable planet as what would have had to be a powerful creature but with strong mental ablities it sound a bit like the creature from satan's pit. I wonder if they (or just the idea Wink ) are related.

Also with the Doctor's big idea of always knowing the answer it would be nice for him to in some way revisit this to sort of figure it out.

Also why did the truck stop long before the creature shows up?

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the Universe." - Carl Sagan

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 11:49 AM EDT
    5/5
    Wonderful, tense & genuinely scary in places. A wonderful script by RTD (his best ever ?) brilliant acting by the whole cast. I loved the way that the Doctor's cockiness, "I'm brilliant", which usually comes across as charming, was on this occasion turned against him. That's three brilliant episodes on the trot as far as i'm concerned.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 11:59 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  spoonmerlin]
    Missing or would have added in my opinion.

The creature went from physical in that it was seen and tore off the front of the truck and even dented the side: but after it gets "in" the women the whole physical aspect was dropped. I think it should have been either physical or mental but not both. The part where the cab was ripped off was not needed;

The ripping off of the cab shows how powerful the thing is. Just ripped it away as if it were nothing. I thought that was very scary.

[Quote  by:  spoonmerlin]The student of the professors basically saves the Doctor by convincing the Hostess to take the women possessed out. I think the doctor could have thrown her a thank you or maybe pointed her in the direction of that lost moon they were talking about.

I thought the Hostess's transformation was too quick. She was completely on one side, then with a few uncertain words from the Student, she was 100% on the other side, enough so that she was willing to go against a mob and throw out the "wrong" person.

Even if she had her doubts after the Student talked about what SHE saw, the Hostess was far too certain. A few doubts would have meant she would try to prevent the Doctor from being thrown out, but not to actually throw out a possibly innocent woman.

Good episode.

Sean.

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 12:01 PM EDT
    I got to watch the episode early enough that I may get to take part in the live recording later...assuming I don't get tasked with too many Sunday chores by my wife. In the meantime, here is my quick review.

Overall I liked the episode. I thought it started out a little slow, and the 'time passing' cuts didn't help. But once it got going, it was pretty tense. It reminded me a little of a CSI episode where passengers on a plane freak out and beat a fellow passenger to death. It also seemed very similar to the old Twilight Zone episode The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street. Anyway, I'll give it a 4 out of 5 groans, because I think it mostly worked for me.

During the Confidential, when they indicated that the actor who played the professor was named Troughton, I wondered if he was related to Patrick. I looked him up in IMDB and was a little shocked to see that he was Patrick's son. I was thinking brother or cousin. I'm a little surprised they didn't make more of a mention of it in the confidential, just like I was surprised that the Unicorn/Wasp Confidential didn't mention the return of the actor who played Jago in Talons of WC. --- Edited to add, apparently he also played in a few episodes of Classic Who, as well...Enemy of the World, War Games, and Curse of Peladon.

Ok, I'll read through the thread now and add comments.

[Quote  by:  taff1a] Also at the end, when one of the catchphrases of the last three years was turned on its head was touching, particularly seeing the Doctor as disturbed by his experience as he was.

I really liked how RTD took that, "No...don't do that" bit and put it in a whole new context. I thought that was great and it added so much for such a small line.

[Quote  by:  whodovoodoo] RTD I have said, for a long while, is best when he does claustrophobic pieces, the scenes in Second Coming that are one on one between Lesley Sharp and Chris Eccleston are wonderfully tense.

I almost couldn't enjoy this episode because I couldn't figure out where I had seen Lesley Sharp before. It was driving me crazy. But it was in Second Coming. And From Hell, but I didn't make that connection...my wife did. When I was thinking out loud that I knew her, my wife said "Was she a prostitute in something?" I thought the guy who played Jethro looked familiar, but he hasn't been in a lot, so I guess he just reminds me of someone else. I thought he looked a little like the guy who plays Cyclops in the X-Men movies (but I knew it wasn't him).

[Quote  by:  whodovoodoo]Mostly, and I'm nearly done, what I loved is that I felt I was in a theatre, watching a play in the round. It was an intimate piece I could see played out on stage, and that is wonderful. The delicacy and drama of a theatre piece at 7.10 on a Saturday evening.

My wife had the same feeling. She was comparing it to those single set plays like Twelve Angry Men. Just a small group of people in a room. Very good.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 12:06 PM EDT
    I rather liked this episode. No, it's not the greatest episode ever, but I liked how the episode was structured. Sure, there was limited sets and not much in the arena of special effects, but I still liked it as we saw the darker (and then nobler) sides of humanity.

It's one of my favorite episodes of this season as I've thought that this season was rather weak so far. Next week looks interesting but I don't have high hopes for the two part ending. Though, we shall see. Maybe it'll be more interesting than I expect. But next week looks good.

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 03:46 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]I almost couldn't enjoy this episode because I couldn't figure out where I had seen Lesley Sharp before.

I watched about two seasons of "Afterlife", so that's where I knew her from.

Sean.

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 04:14 PM EDT
    She also was in 'The Second Coming' with CE, she played the part of Mary Magdalene, sorry Laughing Out Loud

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Sunday, June 15 2008 @ 04:49 PM EDT
    Another great episode from this season. 4/5

But it makes me wonder. (I won, won, won, won, wonder)How is the rest of the season going to pan out. RTD has a good episode then he writes the next one and it is fair then the third comes out and we are all scratching our heads and saying "Well there is always 2010." See that's the bit that scares me. If the next three are fair or even crap it's like "See ya in 2010". I know we will have a couple specials that can clear up any questions and Moffatt will be taking over in 2010. So, I guess I just don't want to build up the last episodes of the series into some GOD like. Too late for that!

I guess this episode put a lot of fear in to me about the future of DW.

Just shut up Jason and watch the show. You know I think that's just what I'll do.

Remember Me To Gallifrey!! Be sure to check Out the Phase Abandon Podcast on TalkShoe.com

Monday, June 16 2008 @ 04:25 AM EDT
    Big ticks from me. It did what Doctor Who often does better than anyone else - takes a very simple premise and makes it bloody scary. Much better and scarier than any CG monster is simply a woman crouched in the corner of a room copying what people say.

Everyone else has already spoken about it at length here so I won't waffle on, but suffice to say I really enjoyed this one.

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 16 2008 @ 05:30 AM EDT
    An interesting epsiode but how is it possible for a creature without form , that apparently can only exist by posessing and copying, rip the front of the truck? also it was intersting that is copied the knocking but it did knock first.
    The mob stuff i found kind of uncomfortable, the mother screaming 'thorw him out' got really annoying really quick, though i think the ending was very interesting, things have been said, actions have been made and now they all will have to face the consquences of their actions.

its is also that the last 2 episodes, feature killer shadows and this episode features killer light i also found int interesting that in the last epsiodes one of the people was called mr lux which is latin for light and next weeks epsiode deals with all the stars going out....

also the leisure palace reminded me a little of the liesure hive.

to be honest though when I heard david troughton was in it, and it was a planet made of crystal, i was half expecting at least a name check of the krotons Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 16 2008 @ 08:06 AM EDT
    A bit late due to Fathers day stuff all weekend. Will probably have some repetition here.

I think like many others I was expecting a nightmare at 20k ft style episode. I was glad that was not the case. The idea of taking a big truck across an inhospitable planet was pretty good. Sounds suicidal to me! Someone mentioned the "x clicks later..." I thought that worked pretty well with this episode. Overall I was pretty impressed by RTD's writing on this one. A "cardboard box" story like this will either do wonders or flop.

I really like how The Doctor, the savior of the human race over and over, was rendered useless because of fear and irrationality. While I have a hard time seeing other Doctors (other than perhaps McCoy) going on a sight-seeing trip like this, I also would love to play "what if?" other Doctors were in that situation. I just don't see Tom Bakers' letting humanity get the best over him like this. Nor Pertwee. Perhaps Davison and McCoy. On the line on C. Baker, and just don't see the other two going on the trip.

Anyway -
    Liked:
    The fact you don't see the monster - not even when the pilot saw it. Also, there is not much to negotiate - you just have to figure out what is going on and try to do the best (all negotiation seemed to be with the humans).
    No companion - love Donna, but nice to see just The Doctor.
    Teenager - love the future with the still moody teens. Just cracks me up whenever they do it - very similar to the one on Pompeii. A universal constant, just like Sweedish meatballs!
    Sonic Screwdrive - the sensory overload of entertainment was nice commentary and it was nice to see the Sonic Screwdriver being used for something pointless instead of saving the day.
    Some products may contain nuts.
    The smart girl - instead of going along and siding with the Doctor, she joined the mob. Like things that go against standard plot moves.

Dislikes:
    The descent into the mob seemed to go a bit fast, as did the redemption at the end of the stewardess.
    The fact that everyone was a human.
    The alien speech - when the alien got ahead of what the Doctor was saying, it was very hard to determine if she was in control or he was. That lost me a bit. The french makes you think he was in control, but perhaps not. Maybe a combination.
    Rose - I almost missed it because I thought it was a closeup of the Abba singer at first. Yes...we know she is coming back, we understand - don't need to keep rubbing it in. I was waiting for the Torchwood complimentary hot towels to come out next! It would be nice if they were less subtle in how they were done, and how does she just popup on random vid screens across time and space?

Overall, a good episode - 4/5 I think.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed