The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Peter Davison and Mark Strickson in Sydney
    Peter Davison and Mark Strickson in Sydney
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  [Spoilers] S4 Ep11 - Turn Left
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [Spoilers] S4 Ep11 - Turn Left Views: 5470
     Saturday, June 21 2008 @ 09:04 PM EDT
    First, I was certain the thing on Donna's back was one of the spiders from the Planet of the Spiders, who climb on backs and take people over.

That said, the all-too-stag-beetle thing looked VERY lame. First, it's too much like an earth beetle, with no attempt to make it look different, and for the first time in I don't know how long, the prop looked like a prop.

Other than those two minor points, this one was brilliant. Tied together a whole era of Doctor Who into one episode, pivoting on a single decision by a single human, and all the repercussions.

Martha dead, Sarah Jane dead, The Rachnoss ship, the Titanic, the Atmos, the Sontarans, Torchwood, awesome.

And in a believable story. Well done indeed.

Can't wait for the next two weeks.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, June 21 2008 @ 09:18 PM EDT

I must say that Rose showing up during an alternate "Runaway Bride" took me right out of it. I may be in the minority here but I have much more of a mixed feeling (leaning twards positive) than a pure like of the episode. More later on a rewatch but I still feel that they missed something crucial to making it work well for me.

Cheers,
    Merlin

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 12:56 AM EDT
    Brilliant! My kids were jumping up and down with excitement by the end. Next week looks awesome.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 01:15 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mpe]
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  timeflight]
    And next week...

Yes - the teaser looked great - better than great - maybe it included stuff from both parts.

Certainly appears to be a lot packed into the trailer. Including appearances of both Torchwood and SJA characters. (Which were also got brief mentions tonight.) Not sure I recognise the old woman in the company of some "police" though.

drwhotrailer-1

I've no idea either!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 01:39 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  rocko]I've no idea either!

[ spoiler ]Something to do with the Shadow Proclamation...[ /spoiler ]

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 01:43 AM EDT

Thread moved to the correct forum topic.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 02:18 AM EDT
    For my initial, spoiler-free thoughts:

Now THAT was brilliant.

THIS is what I've been wanting and expecting out of RTD's stories.

To go from a companion-lite episode from RTD that was solid, to a Doctor-lite story that was 10x better...

I'm honestly really, really hoping that these final two episodes do not disappoint.

More thoughts:

I was literally pausing every few minutes so I could see how everything connected with all the past episodes. And I thought it was brilliant to reuse some of the same locations, like that uphill road with all the brick houses from LotTL... it made the entire episode so much better to make everything that much more connected.

Everything just built up so wonderfully with the butterfly effect: changing one event and seeing how everything unfolds. I know I was supposed to be shocked by some of what happened in the episode, but, well, I was grinning from ear to ear when things were said like Martha and SJS were killed, and then the Torchwood team getting wiped out.

I'd love to have an explanation for how Rose is getting to Donna and all that over such a period of time in Donna's life, but I think there's a huge clue in Rose's line to Donna "He thought you were brilliant" - past tense. Methinks Rose isn't just from a parallel universe, but perhaps has done some moving around in time, as well.

As I said above, I am honestly hoping that the final two episodes do not disappoint. I think I'm going to have to try and temper my expectations over these next two weeks, just to be sure. At this time last year, we were all giving the thumbs up for "Utopia", and then imo it all went downhill from there.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 02:58 AM EDT
    Ok 4 out of 5
    Loved it.

As for preview of next weeks show!
    ROCK ON!!!!!
    In RTD we trust indeed

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 08:29 AM EDT
    FANTASTIC!

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 09:25 AM EDT
    A couple of thoughts, as I don't expect to be able to make the live chat today.

1) The Labour camp issue didn't seem to be the most likely scenario at that point in the story. Rather than billeting everybody to existing towns in the first place, it would have been easier to send the 7 million refugees to all the underdeveloped sections of the UK, give them tents and tools, and have everybody build new cities. Give them a purpose and a job and (in time) their own homes. Maybe if we had another attack or two (Scotland sinking beneath the sea perhaps), then the dark turn would have seemed more plausible. It's just hard to imagine a government taking that course this quickly when they had easier options. If we were all trapped on a plane, surely we'd eat the food *before* eating each other?

2) Rose is able to make a time machine and commune with the TARDIS. She can flit between universes. See the outcomes of various timelines and where things changed. Rose didn't have these abilities in Doomsday. I doubt she gained them with Pete's world technology later.

But in The Parting Of The Ways, Rose and the TARDIS seemed to merge for a few minutes. Once she dealt with the Daleks, she started going loopy. The Doctor was begging her to stop. We saw Jack be revived. But we did not see the other things she did that were bugging him. For how concerned he was, TARDISRose must have been doing something else.

Now we know what else TARDISRose was doing. Flitting around trying to solve one or more catastropic time events.

Odds are the Rose from Doomsday is still in her universe oblivious to this season's events. At least for now.

3) The trailer for Stolen Earth. Somebody's been on a major growth spurt.

Hope the chat goes well.

Benjamin Elliott

Time will tell. It always does, except when it has Laryngitis.

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 09:31 AM EDT
    Anyone else notice Penelope Wilton in the trailer for next week?

We can add Harriet Jones to the list of returning characters?

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 09:35 AM EDT
    I really like the episode and the concept was done well.

I like how the confidential points out Rose's(Pete's) world is ahead of ours so she can look over and see what is going on and pop over to help which makes this make more sense how she knows things.

I wonder what the dynamic of the Torchwood and Sarah Jane people would be as they didn't show up at all in the 1st adventures, Did a doctor's dead note go out that made them decide to pick up more of the slake.

Also what happened with the historical episodes, Martha and the doctor were dead so Shakespeare and the witches, Donna and Pompeii and that family she made him save at the end. Agatha Christy and the Wasp?

I know that not everything can be shown in 44mins and they were only doing modern stuff but does time somehow correct these to act as if the Doctor was there, then what is the point of him going there and fixing things (other then our entertainment?

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the Universe." - Carl Sagan

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 12:42 PM EDT
    What I liked about this episode is that you didn't really need a lot of special effects. And, yes, the spider on Donna's back did look fake, but I liked the story and how all the characters really got a chance to develop. I really enjoyed this episode. Good stuff.

And next week's episode looks action packed. Hopefully, we'll end on a good note for the season and everything isn't all tied up nicely in a bow. We shall see.

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 12:46 PM EDT
    I suppose one could argue that without the Doctor in those historical situations that they worked themselves out. Perhaps the family was just not that important in pompeii. Perhaps the Doctor not showing up caused Agatha to have to leave somewhat early, disappeared for another reason, etc... Perhaps the Doctor not being in London caused something else to happen that canceled the performance of Love Plus One that kept the witches from coming to power.

Time routes around disturbances. The Jadoon on the moon seems to have ended the same way, just with Martha dead instead of alive. Torchwood put an end to ATMOS. Guess the Titanic was too big for time to route around.

Still, I was worried at first - but at least they made it clear from the get go that it was a sort of alternate reality as opposed to trying to hide that til the end, pulling a Dallas moment.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 02:44 PM EDT
    Did anyone else notice that the actress who put the bug on Donna's back seemed very familiar? I didn't check the credits, but it sure looked like the woman who played Chan'tho from Utopia.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored