The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Slitherine
    Slitherine
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  [Spoilers] S4 Ep11 - Turn Left
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [Spoilers] S4 Ep11 - Turn Left Views: 5375
     Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 03:46 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  rocko] Did anyone else notice that the actress who put the bug on Donna's back seemed very familiar? I didn't check the credits, but it sure looked like the woman who played Chan'tho from Utopia.

It was her, well spotted. They said so in the confidential.

Yes, I liked this one too. Liked the way Rose kept mysteriously appearing and any scene with Bernard Cribbins was gold.

Everyone seems hyped for the next episode - I personally skipped the "next time" trailer (as always) so will be super surprised by it, I hope... if I can go the week avoiding magazine covers, conversations with friends and colleagues, tv trailers etc!

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 07:12 PM EDT
    Wowowowowowowow!!! I noticed Chan Tho immediately and was shrieking at my mother who was in the other room (and of course had no idea what I was babbling about) - what a stellar episode, I can't wait for next week - I was clapping at the screen raving enough that my own sort of non-doctor who fan mother actually said "well - maybe I'll have to watch that with you later."

The cloister bell at the end just totally threw me over the edge in geek rapture-horror. Oh no!! not the cloister bell! Things are indeed, very - very bad.

Next week, Oh next weeK!!!

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 07:42 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BenjaminElliott]
    1) The Labour camp issue didn't seem to be the most likely scenario at that point in the story. Rather than billeting everybody to existing towns in the first place, it would have been easier to send the 7 million refugees to all the underdeveloped sections of the UK, give them tents and tools, and have everybody build new cities. Give them a purpose and a job and (in time) their own homes. Maybe if we had another attack or two (Scotland sinking beneath the sea perhaps), then the dark turn would have seemed more plausible. It's just hard to imagine a government taking that course this quickly when they had easier options. If we were all trapped on a plane, surely we'd eat the food *before* eating each other?

Benjamin Elliott

Perhaps since the Government in London all disintegrated, the Scottish Parliament took the moment to get their independence and closed their borders?

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 07:52 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    1) The Labour camp issue didn't seem to be the most likely scenario at that point in the story. Rather than billeting everybody to existing towns in the first place, it would have been easier to send the 7 million refugees to all the underdeveloped sections of the UK, give them tents and tools, and have everybody build new cities. Give them a purpose and a job and (in time) their own homes. Maybe if we had another attack or two (Scotland sinking beneath the sea perhaps), then the dark turn would have seemed more plausible. It's just hard to imagine a government taking that course this quickly when they had easier options. If we were all trapped on a plane, surely we'd eat the food *before* eating each other?

Benjamin Elliott

Perhaps since the Government in London all disintegrated, the Scottish Parliament took the moment to get their independence and closed their borders?

And who is the new monarch after the Queen perishes in Buckingham Palace? Charles? William? Henry? The Duke of York? Were they in London for Christmas? Hmmmm...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 07:57 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] Wowowowowowowow!!! I noticed Chan Tho immediately and was shrieking at my mother who was in the other room (and of course had no idea what I was babbling about) - what a stellar episode, I can't wait for next week - I was clapping at the screen raving enough that my own sort of non-doctor who fan mother actually said "well - maybe I'll have to watch that with you later."

The cloister bell at the end just totally threw me over the edge in geek rapture-horror. Oh no!! not the cloister bell! Things are indeed, very - very bad.

Next week, Oh next weeK!!!

What a totally over the top response to the episode...................................................and I totally agree!!!!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 07:58 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]

Benjamin Elliott

It was very "Children of Men" - sadly I wouldn't put any cruelties past humans, especially in bad times. All you have to do is turn on the news (heck look at the recent violence against foreigners in South Africa! Unrest in Italy - and elsewhere) we can see how quickly people can turn on each other, or blame "outsiders" when things get bad. Logic goes out the window!

Sure we like to think it would "never happen" in our cozy parts of the world - but I shudder to think how "thin" the line is. History has shown us many times just how heartless humans can be to one another. Probably why I really disliked last weeks episode - too realistic for me perhaps. Dark... dark... dark....

ok now I feel a bit depressed... Razz On the bright side! We get to see Gwen Cooper next week!!!! oh and gosh doesn't Billie look a bit rough these days - either too skinny or aging badly - I hope she's not buying into hollywood crap about how skinny women have to be - or alternatively, I hope she's getting enough sleep!

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 07:58 PM EDT

I think this is the first episode where we didn't get complaints about the green lighting in the TARDIS interior shots!

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 08:02 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] oh and gosh doesn't Billie look a bit rough these days - either too skinny or aging badly - I hope she's not buying into hollywood crap about how skinny women have to be - or alternatively, I hope she's getting enough sleep!

Maybe her pregnancy may have something to do with it...

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 08:05 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] oh and gosh doesn't Billie look a bit rough these days - either too skinny or aging badly - I hope she's not buying into hollywood crap about how skinny women have to be - or alternatively, I hope she's getting enough sleep!

Maybe her pregnancy may have something to do with it...

the sprog is draining her lifeforce straight out of her jawline

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 08:30 PM EDT
    I think it's something about her hair that makes Billie look a little different.

Mind you - I think she still looks wonderful.

Really looking forward to next week - Eve, Billie, Freema, Catherine, Liz, and Eve all together. (I like Eve Smile

And yes - the cloister bell was wonderful. IIRC, about the only other time we've heard it in the new series was during the Children in Need right after the regen.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 08:44 PM EDT
    I like Eve tooSmile I am still harboring hope against hope that somehow Gwen would have psychic powers a la Gwyneth in the unquiet dead that will aid them!

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 09:27 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Sabalon]
    And yes - the cloister bell was wonderful. IIRC, about the only other time we've heard it in the new series was during the Children in Need right after the regen.

Children In Need (Pudsey Cutaway/New Doctor), Sound of Drums, and Time Crash.

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 09:33 PM EDT

weeeelll then - this episode was the first time we heard it and it was REALLY ominous. it was only "a little bit" ominous in those other instances

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 09:39 PM EDT

It was sounding when the TARDIS was being used by the Master as a Paradox machine.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 22 2008 @ 10:40 PM EDT
    Magpie - I was also reminded of Children of Men (hated the movie; just don't like apocolyptic stories so much), how very depressing this episode got.

Still, I really enjoyed the episode -- especially Donna's resolve to do what had to be done at the end, acting on complete faith. I teared up when the Italian (?) family left the house in Leeds for the "labor camps." (I also catagorically hated that we've now had two episodes where humans moved to destroying fellow humans out of fear/paranoia).

Mr. Cribbons is SUCH a pleasure to watch! I'll miss him after this season.

When Donna got back to her reality, I about jumped out of my seat with joy when the Doctor walked through the door REally, I'm not sure I've been so happy to see someone walk on screen since... um... Sarah Jane in School Reunion.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed