The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    John Barrowman at the CBC
    John Barrowman at the CBC
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  [Spoilers] S4 Ep11 - Turn Left
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [Spoilers] S4 Ep11 - Turn Left Views: 5492
     Monday, June 23 2008 @ 04:44 AM EDT
    LEEDS.

This made me laugh just a bit too much

(Sings... "in the Ghetto")

what surprised me is that the sontarans would still use atmos when the world was in such a state.

EDITED to stop me sounding like the most depressing person on earth

Guest Host on the WHOCAST
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 08:22 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie]
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    [Quote  by:  BenjaminElliott]
    1) The Labour camp issue didn't seem to be the most likely scenario at that point in the story. Rather than billeting everybody to existing towns in the first place, it would have been easier to send the 7 million refugees to all the underdeveloped sections of the UK, give them tents and tools, and have everybody build new cities. Give them a purpose and a job and (in time) their own homes. Maybe if we had another attack or two (Scotland sinking beneath the sea perhaps), then the dark turn would have seemed more plausible. It's just hard to imagine a government taking that course this quickly when they had easier options. If we were all trapped on a plane, surely we'd eat the food *before* eating each other?

Benjamin Elliott

Perhaps since the Government in London all disintegrated, the Scottish Parliament took the moment to get their independence and closed their borders?

It was very "Children of Men" - sadly I wouldn't put any cruelties past humans, especially in bad times. All you have to do is turn on the news (heck look at the recent violence against foreigners in South Africa! Unrest in Italy - and elsewhere) we can see how quickly people can turn on each other, or blame "outsiders" when things get bad. Logic goes out the window!

Sure we like to think it would "never happen" in our cozy parts of the world - but I shudder to think how "thin" the line is. History has shown us many times just how heartless humans can be to one another. Probably why I really disliked last weeks episode - too realistic for me perhaps. Dark... dark... dark....

ok now I feel a bit depressed... Razz On the bright side! We get to see Gwen Cooper next week!!!! oh and gosh doesn't Billie look a bit rough these days - either too skinny or aging badly - I hope she's not buying into hollywood crap about how skinny women have to be - or alternatively, I hope she's getting enough sleep!

Yeah, it's very naive to think that's not what would happen. Keep in mind some time had passed with people crowded into houses, and the situation obviously deteriorated, and it was time to ease the burden by moving the foreigners out. "England for the English" or whatever.

It wouldn't take long in dire crisis situation to turn on anything that looks like an "outsider".

And yeah, Billie's got skin like an old bible. :-)

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 08:54 AM EDT
    Thanks for the Cloister bell corrections. Don't think they've really described it though.

Also, along the lines of the Leeds stamp, I laughed out loud when they talked about 60 million Americans dead and then cut to the adipose wandering around. Guess they are trying to say I shouldn't have had McDonalds for breakfast yesterday!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 09:54 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Sabalon] Guess they are trying to say I shouldn't have had McDonalds for breakfast yesterday!

There is hope... Virginia man loses 80 pounds ... on McDonald's diet

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 10:21 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]I would have loved to have seen the Sontarans try to deal with Capt. Jack
    This would've been great! Jack dies millions and millions of times as they use Jack as live target practice for each new clone they create!

[Quote  by:  mpe]Not sure I recognise the old woman in the company of some "police" though.
    At first, I was thinking it was an aged-Astrid, but the costume doesn't match from what she wore in VotD...so I'm not sure now.

[Quote  by:  seanhuxter]That said, the all-too-stag-beetle thing looked VERY lame. First, it's too much like an earth beetle, with no attempt to make it look different, and for the first time in I don't know how long, the prop looked like a prop.
    Agree. The thing looked horrible. Makes me think they should've gone CGI with this one. Of course then we run the risk of it looking like really bad CGI as shown by last year's Lazarus monster. Maybe this was another throwback to the classic series? Wink

[Quote  by:  silvanthalas]As I said above, I am honestly hoping that the final two episodes do not disappoint. I think I'm going to have to try and temper my expectations over these next two weeks, just to be sure. At this time last year, we were all giving the thumbs up for "Utopia", and then imo it all went downhill from there.
    Also agree. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Utopia was one of the few bright spots to last season. This season (to me) has also been less than stellar, but unless the script is complete trash (and please, please no universe-wide reset please), and as long as the Daleks stay out of New York City, I don't think we'll be disappointed.

[Quote  by:  tarashnat]And who is the new monarch after the Queen perishes in Buckingham Palace? Charles? William? Henry? The Duke of York? Were they in London for Christmas? Hmmmm...
    Well if they're like our President, chances are they were out in the countryside on vacation...so I suspect they're still alive.

[Quote  by:  Tin Dog Podcast] LEEDS.
    (Sings... "in the Ghetto")
    Is this a UK thing? Because I'll be the first to admit this went way over my head and I completely missed the humor...

[Quote  by:  Magpie]oh and gosh doesn't Billie look a bit rough these days - either too skinny or aging badly - I hope she's not buying into hollywood crap about how skinny women have to be - or alternatively, I hope she's getting enough sleep!
    I'm glad somebody else pointed this out and not me. I'll agree and just leave it at that...

[Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]I may be in the minority here but I have much more of a mixed feeling (leaning twards positive) than a pure like of the episode. More later on a rewatch but I still feel that they missed something crucial to making it work well for me.
    I should just delete the previous parts of my post, copy yours, and sign my name, because this pretty much sums it up for me as well. At first I may have been a little disappointed, maybe just because with the return of Rose I was expecting immediate satisfaction, and this left me feeling indifferent. But the more I think about it, the more I...don't want to say I like it, but maybe the phrase I'm looking for is that "I dislike it less."

- Did they explain that Donna actually had to go back and cause herself to turn left again? Because I don't understand why Rose couldn't have popped back in time and caused Donna to go left also...or easier yet, prevent Donna from going into the fortune teller's shop to begin with...

- I think they could've made this story a tiny bit better if, despite all of the bad things that happened in the alternate timeline, some part of Donna's life would've been better had she taken the right turn. Then it would've been more of a conflict for her to go with Rose, and Rose would've had to do her best sales pitch to convince her to go back in time to make everthing right...or should I say left? I just think it would've been a little better drama had they done this...

- Looking forward to seeing the Torchwood crew next week (well, what's left of them that is). Part of me wonders if they'd consider keeping Rose around to join them in our-universe-Torchwood for the 3rd season, but I'm not sure that's likely, as she'd be bigger than Jack, and it's kind of rare for a TV show to bring in a character that'd steal the show from the current major character. I'm absolutely looking forward to see Jack meeting Rose again. How will Jack react knowing it was her that cursed him with immortality? How will Rose react knowing that she did this to him? I know, he sorta explained that he was cool with it now, but I still gotta believe deep down he doesn't like it. I suspect this moment will be overshadowed by events in the rest of the episode, but I, for one, am on the edge of my seat waiting for it...

- Part of me wonders if they'd be better off leaving SJS out of the final 2 episodes and just sticking with the new companions. Just because it seems like what's so special about her? What about Tegan, Harry, and Jo? It's nice to see SJS again, but I think she'll seem out of place...we'll have to wait and see...

- Overall pretty good. Another good performance from Donna. 3.5 out of 5

- One final thought: somebody better remove the "Quote" button from my forum view. My goodness, look at this! Either that, or else I'll have to stop waiting until Monday morning to comment. Get my quips in sooner during the weekend...

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 11:26 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tin Dog Podcast] LEEDS.

No. I work in Leeds. And it doesnt seem a very Doctor Who place

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 11:28 AM EDT
    [Quote  by: tarashnat]And who is the new monarch after the Queen perishes in Buckingham Palace? Charles? William? Henry? The Duke of York? Were they in London for Christmas? Hmmmm...
    [Quote Well if they're like our President, chances are they were out in the countryside on vacation...so I suspect they're still alive.

Prince Charles would have been in Scotland for Xmas. or Balmoral. So. King Charles?

EDIT: fixed bad quote tags as best as I could...—Taras

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 12:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]
    - Did they explain that Donna actually had to go back and cause herself to turn left again? Because I don't understand why Rose couldn't have popped back in time and caused Donna to go left also...or easier yet, prevent Donna from going into the fortune teller's shop to begin with...

Doctor Who is all about the Doctor enabling people to help themselves, moreso in the new series now. Rose is the surrogate for the Doctor in this episode. And it is Donna that has a choice. It is Donna's choice to make. Not Rose's, Donna's. One of the themes running thru this series has been "terrible" choices. Terrible in the sence of consequences, not that the choice was bad, or incorrect. So if Rose makes the choice for Donna, the whole impact of this episode evaporates.

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 12:31 PM EDT
    I'm absolutely looking forward to see Jack meeting Rose again. How will Jack react knowing it was her that cursed him with immortality? How will Rose react knowing that she did this to him?

- Part of me wonders if they'd be better off leaving SJS out of the final 2 episodes and just sticking with the new companions.

I have a sinking feeling that the TW, SJA, and DW people will not inter-mingle, but each face the enemy (is it still a spoiler if it's in the trailer?) in their own way. It's not like the trailer shows any of them intermingling.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 12:56 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  rocko] It's not like the trailer shows any of them intermingling.

You want to see Torchwood people intermingling?

I thought that's what they always do - every chance they get. Rolling Eyes

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 02:15 PM EDT

I took this as not so much Donna making the left turn, but deciding to go for the temp job instead of the other one. Rose could have tried to convince her or force her to turn left, but if Donna hadn't made up her mind, then there is no guarantee it would have stuck. Of course, the easier move would have been for Rose to convince her not to let her mum lead her life. Then again, that would create a paradox. I agree on the prevent her from going in the shop to start with, never mind the paradox that would create.

As for the Royals being out of the palace..in VotD, we do hear the Queen saying "Thank you Doctor" so I guess they were in residence Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 02:37 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Sabalon]As for the Royals being out of the palace..in VotD, we do hear the Queen saying "Thank you Doctor" so I guess they were in residence Smile

According to Voyage of the Damned, the Queen remained in London. I was curious who would have been the monarch during the tough times of Turn Left after the Queen's passing.

Also, in Voyage of the Damned, Wilf and the Queen were the only ones "on vigil" in London. I assume, that without Saxon around to sow seeds of fear and doubt prior to his election, London wasn't "evacuated" for that Christmas, hence the carnage of the Titanic crashing into London.

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 07:55 PM EDT

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Another triumph in the necessary evil that is "Doctor-lite." 2 weeks in a row and RTD's winning big this year. He also proved he can write a virtually Doctor-less episode that doesn't suck - I won't even bother to utter the name... and hey, before now, only Moffat had proven the 90% Doctor-less story mold could actually work, when done brilliantly. But I'll give RTD this one - he crafted a solid episode in that vein - the bookending was perfectly done here, as well as the ingredients in-between.

Billie's newly-forged lisp was a tad, er, distracting at times - but hey, whatever - great to have her back, nonetheless...

The next 2 weeks look IMMENSE. I'm freaking dying here with all the waiting for this Saturday - all in knowing it's going to leave me waiting another 7 days after screaming bloody murder at the television come the cliffhanger Eek! - utterly stoked for this finale doesn't BEGIN to cover my feelings this year - BRING IT. Mr. Green

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 08:05 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

Doctor Who is all about the Doctor enabling people to help themselves, moreso in the new series now. Rose is the surrogate for the Doctor in this episode. And it is Donna that has a choice. It is Donna's choice to make. Not Rose's, Donna's. One of the themes running thru this series has been "terrible" choices. Terrible in the sence of consequences, not that the choice was bad, or incorrect. So if Rose makes the choice for Donna, the whole impact of this episode evaporates.

OR-- Rose could have just been too selfish to sacrifice herself. (sorry, I never really liked her too much)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 11:08 PM EDT
    To me it is easily a better episode (compared to last week's episode). But did anybody notice the Judoon in the trailer for next week. We haven't seen them since "Smith and Jones" (series 3, episode 1). What are they doing here?

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored