The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The Moxx of Balhoon
    The Moxx of Balhoon
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4E12 The Stolen Earth [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4E12 The Stolen Earth [SPOILERS] Views: 11442
     Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 09:05 PM EDT
    Just finished watching "The Stolen Earth" and I have to say that this episode kept me on my toes. But the Doctor regenerating? What!? I thought that Rose was going to die.

But there's a lot of hints in this episode: With the Doctor's "faithful companion" die? What about the Shadow Proclamation?

Holy moly! Lots of great stuff in this episode. Now I have to wait all week! Geez. At least it's not until Jan 2009 like BSG. Smile

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 09:13 PM EDT
    David Tennant can't regenerate. My wife likes him and I was told "That there will be no more Doctor Who in this house if he is gone." Which means I'll have to go back to watching Doctor Who, Crying in the closet under a big blanket behind the box of old clothes that don't fit anymore but I'll fit into them again one day. PLEASE DON'T GO!!! I like watching Doctor Who on the couch.

Remember Me To Gallifrey!! Be sure to check Out the Phase Abandon Podcast on TalkShoe.com

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 09:14 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Fairport]
    Does that mean you know what's going to happen next week, Louis? You can tell an old friend. Give me a hint... give me something. I can't wait a whole week. It's just not fair Wink

One of my posts above has a hint. But that's all your getting...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 09:18 PM EDT
    My mouth was agape for the last three minutes. Wow. Why don't you just go out with a bang, RTD?

Wow.

Facebook me! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583224917

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 09:19 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    Why did the Doctor say to Donna near the start 'In your Universe' rather that 'In our Universe' ?

I'm guessing you mean the bit about Rose crossing from her Universe into Donna's universe showing things are breaking down? Infinite number of universes for an infinite number of decisions. Donna choosing to go right spawned a private universe for that decision and that is what Rose went into.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 09:21 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Does that mean you know what's going to happen next week, Louis? You can tell an old friend. Give me a hint... give me something. I can't wait a whole week. It's just not fair Wink

There's going to be more budget cuts? Just kidding? But what does double bluff mean? Well, I know what the phrase means, but I can't fit together the context here. fairport76@yahoo.com ...that's my email addy. Feel free to help this poor soul make sense of this It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World episode of Doctor Who.

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 09:40 PM EDT
    WOW.

Now that the one word review is aside.

I've not watched the Sarah Jane stuff. Naming the machine Mr. Smith was kinda cute. Nice to see Torchwood back - I miss Toshi though.

The shadow proclamation - Someone steals 26 planets and they sit around on their set out of the end of NeverEnding Story (was looking for the Ivory Tower). Someone steals Earth and it's war. Seemed a way of bringing something that has been brought up over and over into the story. Unless they play a part next week, it seemed kinda pointless. Could have come up with another way for the Doc to work out all the missing planets.

Davros - Never been a fan. However, this was a good use of him (so far). I liked how they had him at the time war. Also, I like the way he seems to be over the Supreme Dalek, but is letting the Supreme do what he wants and learn the error of his ways.

Daleks - I was a bit concerned on them coming back from nothing (again.) However this more or less did it well. Caan temporal shifted from NYC to right where Davros was in the time war and rescued them. Pretty nifty idea. Also, was there a spacial shift, or did that part of the time war take place around earth??? I LOVED the the fact that the new Daleks are from Davros's cells, thus making them true Kaleds. Also, I loved Caan being insane and able to see across time or something now.

Also, on the Daleks, when the leveled the house. Makes me want to go hunt for my "Real Daleks don't climb stairs, they just level the building" pin.

Cel Phone thing - This was the one time I groaned out loud. At first it was going good - have Torchwood somehow get the signal out via the rift. But then having every phone on earth dial it - how would that help???

the Prediction - Caan stating that the one most loyal to the Doctor would die forever. Was it going to be Rose, Donna, Martha, SJS. The scenes were setup, and then the Doctor gets shot. hmmm....next week I guess.

Harriet Jones, former PM - Love the flashing the badge. Not sure what to make of all the subnet thing though. Loved the Daleks with "We know who you are."

The regen - very early on in the episode they made a point of showing the 'jar-o-hand', which means in the first 20 seconds of next week it will somehow keep the Doctor from regenerating. If it doesn't and somehow lets him turn back into DT, I will be pissed. It did make for a helluva cliffhanger. I was expecting them to wait until the last second to show Davros on the screen, and call that a cliffhanger.

The damn BBC - okay, in a perfect world the Dalek and Davros thing would have been kept a secret. Imagine if no one knew about their return and then when the first "Exterminate" comes across the waves. That would have been incredible. Also, Lis Sladen should win an award for the instant of her reaction to hearing the "Exterminate".

Well...over all it was a very interesting episode, but the proof will be in the finale next week and how things are resolved. I think the pacing was good. I really liked the fact that the Doctor wasn't running around the whole time fighting the Daleks. He pretty much spent the episode in the TARDIS just talking to Donna. Also, I don't recall seeing the damned screwdriver even once!

The FX for the radio signal going out was a little hokey. Also, while the idea of having the Cascade one second out of time was good, do we have to keep having things in the TARDIS flaming, etc...

Well, I probably forgot some things I wanted to add in. Can't believe I have to wait a whole week. Gonna have to try and avoid any spoilers, etc... though. Want a good surprise!

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 10:27 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

Actually, it's a hint and a very bad pun! Wink

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 10:49 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tin Dog Podcast] I know that we are all fixated on the end but ive got a DULL sarah jane question.

HOW is Mr Smith back?

You need to rewatch the last episode of SJA... (reprogrammed by virus)

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 10:51 PM EDT

For you UK fans out there...

Is that telephone number they showed a "dummy" number, like the 555 exchange used by phones on tv shows in the states?

Or has the BBC done something clever with that number, like you get a message from the Doctor when you call?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 10:59 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  odessasteps]
    For you UK fans out there...

Is that telephone number they showed a "dummy" number, like the 555 exchange used by phones on tv shows in the states?

Or has the BBC done something clever with that number, like you get a message from the Doctor when you call?

I believe that someone who had access to a reviewers' copy tried the number and it was not in service (then).

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 11:03 PM EDT
    Eek!

there is nothing. I can possibly. say.

except... I am SO GLAD I steered clear of most spoilers cos I DID NOT SEE THAT *cough* (sorry hard to stop myself from shouting here, I'm so excited...what was I saying? oh yes) I did not see that coming. Totally blindsided.

I fancy David Tennant, he can't leave yet! But... could be a bluff. But if it's not, that's ok, too.

God. What else can I say?!? I wish I wasn't watching it alone so I could jump around the house shrieking with another shrieking person!!!

alas!!!! ARUGH! I Can't believe it!!! It was SO GREAT! I loved seeing everyone together, especially Sarah Jane and Gwen! I loved Grandpa, again - he had such nice funny lines. And poor Rose - sidelined... I cannot count the ways I thought this was fantastic. I think I just have to watch it again!

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 11:05 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Sabalon] WOW.

Now that the one word review is aside.

I've not watched the Sarah Jane stuff. Naming the machine Mr. Smith was kinda cute. Nice to see Torchwood back - I miss Toshi though.

There are way too many Smiths and Joneses in Doctor Who. Harriet Jones? Martha Jones? Sarah Jane Smith, Doctor Smith, Mister Smith...

[Quote  by:  Sabalon]The shadow proclamation - Someone steals 26 planets and they sit around on their set out of the end of NeverEnding Story (was looking for the Ivory Tower). Someone steals Earth and it's war.

I believe they said that the planets were all taken at exactly the same time (with the exception of the few that were taken long ago and no one had an explanation for, including the one alluded to from ancient Greece.

And... did I hear the Doctor say "Calufrax"?

[Quote  by:  Sabalon]Seemed a way of bringing something that has been brought up over and over into the story. Unless they play a part next week, it seemed kinda pointless. Could have come up with another way for the Doc to work out all the missing planets.

Not if it's RTD's Swan Song. He'd like to bring back as many elements that are his as he can, and having the Doctor use the "Shadow Proclamation" on various occasions does warrant a visit, even if it doesn't play an important role in this episode or the next. And it allowed him to bring back the Judoon. But I still have a feeling they'll feature in next season.

[Quote  by:  Sabalon]Daleks - I was a bit concerned on them coming back from nothing (again.) However this more or less did it well.

I had a vague idea that Davros was making new Daleks from bees - that the hive mind mentality of bees would have been a perfect starting point for him to rebuild the Daleks from scratch, or nearly from scratch. Oh well...

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 11:08 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    And... did I hear the Doctor say "Calufrax"?

Yes, yes you did!!! Nice little nod to the Pirate PlanetSmile))

... o... something just occurred to me. we still don't know about the cackling with the master's ring, so we have that to be resolved next week, too!

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Saturday, June 28 2008 @ 11:16 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  rocko] I heard rumors from a pretty good source that the hand will have a big part to play in the next ep. Looking forward to it!

Well, personally, I've thought it obvious that the hand will have something to do next week simply because it's been 'featured' several times now this season. Just another hint.

Right now, I'm not really feeling the shock of a potential regeneration, because I'm not convinced it's going to happen. I'm of the belief that something along the lines of what Dave suggested, where the hand is used to interfere with the regeneration, will result.

I knew *somebody* was gonna get shot by a Dalek as soon as the Doctor and Rose started running, and I probably should've guessed it was the Doctor, because of photos posted to the 'net weeks/months ago showing him on the ground. I think that was really the only predictable thing I saw.

[Quote  by:  Sideburn Zombie] David Tennant can't regenerate. My wife likes him and I was told "That there will be no more Doctor Who in this house if he is gone."

*chuckle* This was pretty much my wife's response as well. She doesn't care if many of the past Doctors only lasted 3 seasons, she wants Tennant to stick around for several more. Mr. Green

And boy did they leave a little loophole now into the past and the Time War with Dalek Caan stealing Davros away so Davros could survive. We want the Time War! We want the Time War! Mr. Green

Still could've done without the Daleks, and Davros. But everything else with Martha, Torchwood, SJS, and all... very well done. Although I do think the whole 'subnet' thing was somehow being invented by Harriet Jones seems a bit beyond her capabilities.

This episode wasn't as good as "Turn Left" - that one was almost impossible to top - but it was still very, very good.

And unlike "The Sound of Drums", I have no trepidations going into the finale, even if the Doctor has started a regeneration. Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored