The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Wendy Padbury at UFC 2007
    Wendy Padbury at UFC 2007
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4E12 The Stolen Earth [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4E12 The Stolen Earth [SPOILERS] Views: 12072
     Monday, June 30 2008 @ 01:07 PM EDT
    Hey all,
    i;ve been away all weekend, so i've only just managed to catch this.

Five words:

Double You, Oh, Double You!!!

That is all!

(Concerning the regeneration, could it be another "there's something on your back" sub-plot like last episode? hmmmmmm)

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 30 2008 @ 01:08 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Nation made sure that his writer's contracts gave him the rights to his creations. Plus, there was quite a bit of detail in his descriptions. Does Cusick deserve some of the credit? Sure, but it was Nation's idea that he was developing. Another thing to remember is that the stories evolve in the retelling.

Actually, according to the confidential, the description was pretty vague - robotic creatures, gliding with no human features. Sounds more like Terry was a good businessman.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 30 2008 @ 01:28 PM EDT
    Really, it would ruin it if the Doctor DIDN'T regenerate. I wanted it to happen without anyone knowing about it for sure.

I am the Master, and you will obey me. You will obey me.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 30 2008 @ 01:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    [Quote  by:  Sabalon]
    [Quote  by:  T Baker(notTom)] As you see the regenerations were different - except for the last two. Why are they the same??? The show has a history of making each regeneration different - so again why are the last two the same process???

I would say that it has to do with the fx coming a long way since a slow-dissolve passed as a regeneration. Definatly a lot better than McCoy in a blonde wig Smile

The CE->DT regeneration, with all the lovely glowing, I took to be a side-effect of him absorbing the time vortex from Rose. It would make sense for there to be an incredible amount of energy used by the process, but it should be internal, not blown outward.

I guess they decided that it worked well enough the first time, so why not keep it. They also used it at the end of Utopia when the Master regenerated.

To be honest, I kinda like the idea of having them being a standard way. Yes, the reasons may be different, but it makes sense for a biological process like this to occur the same way every time.
    Graeme Harper addressed this in the Confidential last year surrounding the Master's regeneration. He said that a decision had been taken by RTD and company that, from now on, all regenerations of all Time Lords will look the same, because it helps narratively for the process to have the same dimensions. And you can totally see why from this episode. You first get a close-up of his hand, where he's looking for the gold glow. Why? Because that was the initial tip-off in "Parting of the Ways". Then you get the same explosive animation that we've now seen twice before.

If it looked different we would be able to more easily write it off. It's pretty hard for us to dismiss this as a regeneration and therefore why this ranks as one of the best cliffhangers ever thanks to the fact that the regenerative process has been visually standardized.

Thanks for the info, DarthSkeptical - I didn't get to watch the "Confidential" for that episode so now I know where to look.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 30 2008 @ 02:57 PM EDT
    I'm sick of all these positive reviews. The episode was rubbish, the effects were crap, Davros didn't look anything Davros and RTD keeps putting in his gay agenda and he can't write his way out of a eastenders episode. Wink

Nah, I loved it. In fact i'll go on record to say that this is one my fave episodes of Doctor Who - ever! It had everything, I don't need to remind you what. But the cliffhanger at the end, really put Davros's return in the shade.

I can't wait to see the Kandyman pop up next week. He's more use than Ianto, to be honest. Twisted Evil

[Quote  by:  romana_II] Still love the episode, even after watching it a fourth time now.

Since I was emo about my sound last night, and didn't get to say everything I wanted too, I recorded this tonight.
    Basically just an audio review of the episode done by me.

review

Great review, I very much doubt anyone from the spin-off series will die, seeing as how the second series of SJA is being filmed now and the current Torchwood Team are starring in this radio drama. So I think 'your' Ianto is safe! But you never know!

I hope they bring out a 'chubby Ianto' figure just for you, though! Laughing Out Loud

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, June 30 2008 @ 02:59 PM EDT
    Per doctorwhonews.com:

"Episode Twelve of Series Four, The Stolen Earth has received a record breaking Audience Appreciation figure of 91. This is not only the highest score the programme has ever received, but is one of the highest figures ever achieved for a mainstream television programme."

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 30 2008 @ 03:23 PM EDT
    Well that sucked.

Kidding!!

That was {bleepin} awesome. I don't know whether to kiss Russel or kick his butt for that ending.

Ya know I have a theory about the one to die. It's a little wacky and I'm not sure how they would get around it, but the companion who is most loyal to the Doctor is the Tardis. And RTD did say in one last weeks confidential, that he wanted to blow it up, but then he said (with a gleam in his eye) that he had something bigger in store. How they could blow it up, kill it off, or get rid of it and still have a show is beyond me, but it would be cool.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 30 2008 @ 04:46 PM EDT
    As far as dying, I figured it out earlier today watching a bit of Utopia, where Martha gets snippy after Jack mentions Rose.

It comes down to a catfight when Rose and Martha meets. It is a pretty equal battle until SJS comes in and takes Martha's side because of the way Rose treated her in School Reunion.

In the meantime, Jack falls for Donna, as does Mickey and Jackie and Pete

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 30 2008 @ 04:55 PM EDT
    One other thing: I was a little disappointed that The Doctor getting blasted by the dalek overshadowed the reunion of Rose and Captain Jack. I was very curious as to how he'd react to her, knowing that she was the cause of his immortality. Maybe we'll get something after the regeneration does/doesn't happen, but by then I think it'll be too late. The initial moment of re-uniting has already passed...

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 30 2008 @ 05:52 PM EDT
    In the Read through shown on The Confidential where everyone was laughing and cheering for Nick Briggs the guy who does the Dalek Voices, The guy who played Mickey and the woman who played Jackie was sitting on the same side of table of David Tennant. Now Why, would David Tennant be at a read through of episode 13?

Unless Mickery and Jackie where left on the cutting room floor for episode 12. I don't know! Your Thoughts?

Also, It looked like The Doctor was only Grazed by the Dalek Laser. I don't know!

By the way, This is what RTD and the rest on the Who Crew want us to do. Sit here and try to think what will happen before anyone really knows.

Remember Me To Gallifrey!! Be sure to check Out the Phase Abandon Podcast on TalkShoe.com

Monday, June 30 2008 @ 06:26 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    [Quote  by:  Sabalon]
    [Quote  by:  T Baker(notTom)] As you see the regenerations were different - except for the last two. Why are they the same??? The show has a history of making each regeneration different - so again why are the last two the same process???

I would say that it has to do with the fx coming a long way since a slow-dissolve passed as a regeneration. Definatly a lot better than McCoy in a blonde wig Smile

The CE->DT regeneration, with all the lovely glowing, I took to be a side-effect of him absorbing the time vortex from Rose. It would make sense for there to be an incredible amount of energy used by the process, but it should be internal, not blown outward.

I guess they decided that it worked well enough the first time, so why not keep it. They also used it at the end of Utopia when the Master regenerated.

To be honest, I kinda like the idea of having them being a standard way. Yes, the reasons may be different, but it makes sense for a biological process like this to occur the same way every time.
    Graeme Harper addressed this in the Confidential last year surrounding the Master's regeneration. He said that a decision had been taken by RTD and company that, from now on, all regenerations of all Time Lords will look the same, because it helps narratively for the process to have the same dimensions. And you can totally see why from this episode. You first get a close-up of his hand, where he's looking for the gold glow. Why? Because that was the initial tip-off in "Parting of the Ways". Then you get the same explosive animation that we've now seen twice before.

If it looked different we would be able to more easily write it off. It's pretty hard for us to dismiss this as a regeneration and therefore why this ranks as one of the best cliffhangers ever thanks to the fact that the regenerative process has been visually standardized.

I remember what Graeme said, but I really think the reason that the regenerations are now the same is because we continue to dumb down things for the viewing audience. It's certainly true in the US (some producer is saying "we have to regenerate the same way again b/c otherwise our audience is too stupid to understand what is happening"), I hope its not true in the UK, but that's what I think happens.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 30 2008 @ 08:44 PM EDT
    I've still processing everything that went on as it was quite an exciting episode. I thought all of the spinoff segments were well done and fit well into the DW world.

Thanks Romana II for your posted audio review. I listed to the live podshock this morning and even after 2+ hours I still enjoyed hearing some more discussion of the episode.

Did anyone else notice how Sylvester McCoy was dressed in the confidential? To me it seemed like a toned down version of his doctor's costume. It may just be a coincidence.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 30 2008 @ 09:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Mawdryn]
    Did anyone else notice how Sylvester McCoy was dressed in the confidential? To me it seemed like a toned down version of his doctor's costume. It may just be a coincidence.

I thought that too. Guess he put a bit of himself in the role or took a bit out. As long as he doesn't get like the guy that played Grandpa Munster!

[Quote  by:  Sideburn Zombie]
    In the Read through shown on The Confidential where everyone was laughing and cheering for Nick Briggs the guy who does the Dalek Voices, The guy who played Mickey and the woman who played Jackie was sitting on the same side of table of David Tennant. Now Why, would David Tennant be at a read through of episode 13?

Noel Clark and the lovely Camille Coduri. They showed up in some promo pics, so I'm hoping they show up next episode. Just wondering how they'll work that in. Could be done well - could be a mistake. They were both technically companions and traveled in the TARDIS with the Doctor. Wish they had worked K-9 in too. Surely they could have grabbed a sample of "Mistress" from somewhere.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 30 2008 @ 11:00 PM EDT

(Speculation):

So was "the beast" right all along? Will a certain companion die in battle after all?

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, July 01 2008 @ 02:33 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    After my son suggested to me that Harriet Jones is the Master - I'm seeing more clues.

As well as over-using the indenty point with her passport, her death not being shown, the Daleks saying 'we know who you are', the fact she could finalise the special signal network & that a woman picked up the Master's ring:-

She made a point of giving Sarah Janes Address during the conference call - and it could be the Daleks that SJS ran straight into were on their way to her address.

The Master also new about Martha and her family but I'm not sure Harriet did.

Cheers, daveac

Sorry to rain on your parade, Dave but this seem a bit unlikly.

A few points on this. The passport thing has been a running gag everytime she showed up with everyone having heard of her.

She says the Subnet was invented by the Copper foundation and developed by her, so she only set it looking for Doctor conected people. Like Microsoft invented the Word program and she wrote a report in Word, it would not take as much skill as the former.

The software is what found all the people and it would have to give some kind of bio for her, plus Martha has been in with unit for some time so she is known by quite a few people now.

Plus why does the Master need to show up this year anyway.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the Universe." - Carl Sagan

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored