The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Colin Baker's Costume
    Colin Baker's Costume
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4E12 The Stolen Earth [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4E12 The Stolen Earth [SPOILERS] Views: 11605
     Tuesday, July 01 2008 @ 02:41 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Sideburn Zombie] In the Read through shown on The Confidential where everyone was laughing and cheering for Nick Briggs the guy who does the Dalek Voices, The guy who played Mickey and the woman who played Jackie was sitting on the same side of table of David Tennant. Now Why, would David Tennant be at a read through of episode 13?

The lines Nick Briggs was saying were from episode 12 (at least the 'exterminate, exterminate, exterminate exterminate' etc..) So it was probably a read through for both episodes 12 and 13.

Coming to theaters this fall, Frau Blücher and Harpo Marx star in 'The Shadow Proclamation'!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 01 2008 @ 03:10 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin]
    Great review, I very much doubt anyone from the spin-off series will die, seeing as how the second series of SJA is being filmed now and the current Torchwood Team are starring in this radio drama. So I think 'your' Ianto is safe! But you never know!

I hope they bring out a 'chubby Ianto' figure just for you, though! Laughing Out Loud

Thanks.
    That's what I think. But this is RTD we talking about. The Torchwood radio series and the five part story for next year could very well be a buffer story between the end of Torchwood series 2 and this episode.
    I think it's going to be that Mickey pops over with a gun like Rose did to save Torchwood, and Jackie does something similar to save Sarah Jane.

If not, I think RTD is going to get a lot of angry hate letters sent his way.

bye bye david :(
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, July 01 2008 @ 09:37 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  romana_II] Still love the episode, even after watching it a fourth time now.

Since I was emo about my sound last night, and didn't get to say everything I wanted too, I recorded this tonight.
    Basically just an audio review of the episode done by me.

review

Glad you got a chance to have your say.

Enjoyed the review.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, July 01 2008 @ 05:53 PM EDT

Just re-watching the episode now - as on my Tiscali forum someone said the Doctors suit changes - ie. maybe two realities.

But I've just got to the Shadow Proclomation bit - is that actress the same one that played Queen Elizabeth I in the Shakespeare Code?

I'll check later

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, July 01 2008 @ 06:07 PM EDT

Martha talking about Indigo 'more clever than we thought' - 'more clever' Oh dear!

That just jars.

Cheers, daveac

Tuesday, July 01 2008 @ 06:17 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    Martha talking about Indigo 'more clever than we thought' - 'more clever' Oh dear!

That just jars.

Cheers, daveac

Now on the screen conference Martha's just mentioned Dalek Caan!

Didn't notice that before - how would she know he was involved at this point?

Cheers, daveac

Tuesday, July 01 2008 @ 06:28 PM EDT
    Just re-watching the episode now - as on my Tiscali forum someone said the Doctors suit changes - ie. maybe two realities.

No - no changes of suit - I just think that's a lighting thing.

Enjoyed watching it again anyway.

Cheers, daveac

Tuesday, July 01 2008 @ 09:04 PM EDT
    Ok, final thoughts a few days later.

[Quote  by:  Magpie] o o oo and Richard Dawkins made a cameo! uhh WoW! Now both of Lalla Ward's husbands have appeared on Doctor Who!

I loved that Richard Dawkins was in it. I read God Delusion, he's great. Best cameo since Stephen Hawkings in Trek: TNG (imho).

[Quote  by:  seanhuxter]There are way too many Smiths and Joneses in Doctor Who. Harriet Jones? Martha Jones? Sarah Jane Smith, Doctor Smith, Mister Smith...

You forgot Mickey Smith. Smile

[Quote  by:  april123] The end of "Turn Left" was amazing but as "Stolen Earth" rolled along I was getting more and more worried. This episode had me thinking "Last of the Time Lords" but as it drew to a close I think they really tightened things up.
    I loved the reference to the Peter Cushing "Dalek Invasion Earth" , the movie with Donna's dad as the companion and I've wondered this whole season if they'll do anything with that...that'd be too cool.

There was a few minutes where I was thinking the same thing, that it would be a bit of a let down like SoD was to Utopia, but like you said, it tightened up.

Did I miss a reference to Dalek Invasion Earth? I haven't seen the whole thing, but I didn't notice anything.

[Quote  by:  rheimbro] But then I also think about the whole river song issue and wonder whether she knew a later 10th doctor or a later nth doctor? If this is it for 10, then she would have had to known him in a later incarnation. And my reading of the forest of the dead was that she recognized the 10th doctor as the 10th doctor... [my brain is hurting me, time and space should not be contemplated after 2 am...]

I completely forgot about the whole River song thing. I wonder how they will square that. I also was leaning towards her knowing an older version of number 10.

[Quote  by:  rheimbro]And one final thought- there were two characters seen in the confidential and promo pictures (not sure if they are actual spoilers anymore but i figure I won't name them here to be safe) who haven't shown up yet, so I am curious to see how they fit in next week sinc ei thought they would have popped up by now.

[Quote  by:  Dalzo]This is very true. Those characters you mention were at the readthrough for episode 13... and so was David Tennant which suggests to me that if he does regenerate it won't be till the end of the episode. I personally think this regeneration is a red herring (a glorious, wonderful red herring to be sure... but still a smelly fish!)

I saw them at the script read through table, too. I was wondering if anyone would mention it. Big Grin

[Quote  by:  Doctor Slug] if the doctor does regenerate it would put us ready for season 5 as above the specials next year could take place pre new doctor? even this years xmas special could take place before these two season 4 finale episodes?

I was thinking the same thing. Battlestar Galactica has already proved you can make a stand-alone movie that takes place out of sequence with the rest of the series. Doctor Who could do the same thing.

[Quote  by:  daveac] After my son suggested to me that Harriet Jones is the Master - I'm seeing more clues.

The Master idea never occurred to me, but something about the way Harriet Jones behaved seemed a bit off to me. But at the end when it seemed like she died, I just figured I was trying to out-think the script too much. But you make some interesting points.

[Quote  by:  sgb1975] Why is Dalek Caan still around in that crazy state? Once he saved Davros and lost his mind, he's now outlived his usefulness and should've been put down.

Simple, he has to fill that crucial role of the "seer" like the hybrid in Galactica or Drusilla in Buffy. Wink

[Quote  by:  T Baker(notTom)]As you see the regenerations were different - except for the last two. Why are they the same??? The show has a history of making each regeneration different - so again why are the last two the same process???

Don't forget that the Master's regeneration in Utopia was basically the same, too.

[Quote  by:  romana_II] Still love the episode, even after watching it a fourth time now.

Since I was emo about my sound last night, and didn't get to say everything I wanted too, I recorded this tonight.
    Basically just an audio review of the episode done by me.

review

Bonus Romana audio. Woo-hoo! (sorry, I can't help it...I love the sound of your voice) Oops!

[Quote  by:  Louis]

(Speculation):

So was "the beast" right all along? Will a certain companion die in battle after all?

Wow...nice recall, Louis. That didn't occurr to me either.

One final thought...don't forget the Doctor's "daughter" is alive and well and zipping around the cosmos.

One final question...isn't "quick march" a British military command? Wouldn't an American general say something like "quick time" or "double time". I was in the national guard and I don't recall ever hearing "quick march".

Phew...now I have to go back to the Turn Left thread and see if anyone mentioned that the UNIT soldier who was reporting the death of the Doctor was the one from Sontaran Stratagem who was mind-controlled. Big Grin

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 01 2008 @ 11:20 PM EDT
    WOW...WOW
    I just watched it, I was on vacation over the weekend without internet or TV and this is WOW.
    I don't want Tennant to leave, but I have seen stuff that may prove he is staying, when he was shot by the Dalek, it looked like only half his body was hit, that may just be me.
    RTD has taken my expectations for this episode and has taken it to the power of infinite. When I saw the trailer, I had my doubts, I mean, trying to fit three series into that amount of time to tie up strings from this series and the past series, the classic series and all those in between. If next week's episode is as good as I expect it to be, then RTD's sins are forgiven and this will be his crowning achievement.
    Good Night and Good Luck

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 02 2008 @ 07:09 AM EDT
    On another forum - Digital Spy I think - someone mentioned the words to Donna 'what are you becoming' and the fact she heard a heartbeat (not drums)

You don't think that could imply an 'extra heartbeat' ie. Donna becoming - or the Doctor taking the form of her - to be the next Doctor?

Shudder Eek! I hope not.

EDIT - even the old switcheroo - Donna becomes the Doctor - the 10th Doctor passes into her body and then dies.

EDIT - I wonder if I should have put this speculation in the 'spoiler alert' thread - although it is just a wild idea.

Cheers, daveac

Wednesday, July 02 2008 @ 07:44 AM EDT

That just jars.

Cheers, daveac
    Huh?

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Wednesday, July 02 2008 @ 07:49 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]

That just jars.

Cheers, daveac
    Huh?

cleverer

I was taught to say or write:-

'he (or she) was cleverer than I thought'

not 'he was more clever than I thought'

Cheers, daveac

Wednesday, July 02 2008 @ 08:04 AM EDT

That just jars.

Cheers, daveac
    Huh?

cleverer

I was taught to say or write:-

'he (or she) was cleverer than I thought'

not 'he was more clever than I thought'

Cheers, daveac
    Ohhhhhhhh. Gotcha. There are two schools of thought on that. The easy rule of thumb is that if it has one syllable, you stick on -er or -est. If it's two syllables it can be either the sufffix or more/most. If it's more than two syllables, it's got to be more/most.

The more precise rule, however, is that if it's a polysyllabic word borrowed from another language then it's definitely more/most. Clever is most likely from Dutch or Low German, so it would get a helping comparative. However, it's been a part of English for soooooo long, since at least Middle English, that it's basicaly a de facto English word.

So, either way is grammatically correct. Hence, the Doctor says in "School Reunion", "The oil is making them cleverer", while Martha says "more clever" here. Both are fine, as evidenced by the fact that the definition of "cleverer" in the dictionary is "more clever".

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Wednesday, July 02 2008 @ 08:14 AM EDT
    Now on the screen conference Martha's just mentioned Dalek Caan!

Didn't notice that before - how would she know he was involved at this point?
    Her line is, "It's not just Dalek Caan". I think that's an easy thing for her to piece together. To the extent she was ever expecting to hear from Daleks again, she was expecting the Last of the Daleks, Caan. But it's obviously not just Caan on-scene, so the line parses correctly. I'd have been surprised for her to say much else.

Wednesday, July 02 2008 @ 08:18 AM EDT
    Her line is, "It's not just Dalek Caan". I think that's pretty self-evident.

Oh thanks - I didn't catch the first part 'It's not just..'

I was thinking how did she know Dalek Caan was with the Dalek fleet.

Cheers, daveac

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored