The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Rocko at OmegaCon Birmingham 2008
    Rocko at OmegaCon Birmingham 2008
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4E13 Journey's End [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4E13 Journey's End [SPOILERS] Views: 9175
     Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 07:15 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

Down to 26minutes!! - It's going to be a long night! - Welcome to Louis' world Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

Down to 7m 35 secs

This IS a great series ending.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 07:44 PM EDT
    I'm going to have to watch it again. The German Daleks were REALLY scary though!

P.S. It is of course possible that this message is a trap. If it is I can deal with it. P.P.S. I'm leaving this note in case I can't!

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 08:23 PM EDT
    Oh wow...just wow...there are some things I'm still not sure how I feel about them...really wish I didn't have a show to do in 30 minutes...or one tomorrow, as I'd love to call up the live show.

Just wow...

Pat

"Don't play as if you've swallowed the metronome!" -- Nadia Boulanger

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 08:47 PM EDT

That was in my opinion the best series finale since Parting of the Ways. RTD put the petal to the metal and didn't let up until almost the very end. Though some ming-mongs might be upset with some of the details, this story was totally new Who as revived by RTD.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 08:55 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    That was in my opinion the best series finale since Parting of the Ways. RTD put the petal to the metal and didn't let up until almost the very end. Though some ming-mongs might be upset with some of the details, this story was totally new Who as revived by RTD.

Well said Taras.

Just finish an intro - and have now watched and listenned to it (the episode) about 4 times.

Very happy - daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 09:02 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] I'll have to rewatch it, but so far its the worst 2nd part of a 'finale' for me.

Interesting. It's definitely better than last year's, but I'm not sure I'd say it's better than series 2. Although, with Rose's return this season, all the emotional upheaval of that finale is basically moot.

Let's face it, there was basically no way this episode was going to live up to the two preceding episodes. But while there was falloff from the week before, I didn't think it was that bad.

I feel that Davros's plan to destroy all of reality is a black hole of logic, but that's probably my worst complaint.

Actually, it might not be: RTD's stuff is just so damn predictable at times, such as with the hand regenerating the Doctor. The suspense of a potential surprise regeneration has the air taken completely out of it within seconds of the episode opening... along with all the other cliff-hangers that were left open. It comes across as a bit lazy.

And with Mickey and Martha leaving with Jack, it seems to leave the impression that they will join Torchwood. But I'll wait for some sort of confirmation before assuming it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 09:07 PM EDT
    RTD's last time at the big game and he went all out!

Loved every minute of it!

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 09:44 PM EDT
    Is he not writing the next 5 specials then (up to Christmas 2009)? I thought he was?

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 10:01 PM EDT
    I really did enjoy this episode. Yes, there were some cheesy moments (I don't want to go into details, running it for those who haven't seen it yet), but all in all it was good. I would agree that it was the second best ending of a season with Parting of the Ways being the best.

I wasn't happy with so many plot lines being tied up so nicely, but I think that was done as RTD is leaving. Sure there's still lots of room for growth as there are many plot lines left opened (the Master, the Doctor's daughter, etc.), but it was a lot of fun to watch.

I was also interested in seeing the few glimpses of the Christmas special. I like what I saw.

But I am sad: Not much Doctor Who in 2009. That's going to be rough, but if it's only one year it could be worse.

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 10:12 PM EDT
    In terms of putting the chess pieces right where they belong, I'm in awe of what RTD has done here as a custodian to the franchise.

All four years, we've seen The Doctor as both someone who walks in eternity and someone as human as the next. Someone who loves Rose Tyler and someone who has much bigger fish to fry. Someone who is just tired of running, and someone who will never stop. You see both sides of The Doctor in his two selves at the end of "Journey's End." And the blue-suited Doctor accepts his exile because it leaves him with the woman he loves and with a human lifespan there's only so much good he can do in the multiverse. It's the Jon Pertwee exile all over again for him -- he'll be busy defending the Earth -- except that this time he's content.

And the lonely god does what he has to do -- bids farewell to Rose, never to have what his other self will have; wipes Donna's memory and returns her to a potentially grim fate in Sylvia's home; leaves his friends behind -- because that is who he is.

Every contradiction in The Doctor's personality and character, just about every tension in the format of the television show, is given some kind of resolution in "Journey's End." I can think of no more satisfying way to end RTD's run. He has simultaneously made a statement about Doctor Who and "who The Doctor is" while giving Steven Moffat and future writers and producers a true blank slate. They can take the Tenth Doctor anywhere.

And, for that matter, David Tennant (and Billie Piper, for that matter) now have an official welcome mat to guest in future series as long as he's drawing breath and can remember his lines, without having to handwave over how much older he looks. Canny, that RTD.

The other thing that jumps out at me about the end of this series is how uncertain The Doctor's moral footing is. He manipulated the Daleks into blowing up Skaro. He somehow eliminated their entire race as well as his own in the Time War. He was right on theory but so wrong in practice when it came to throwing an evil alien under the bus in "Midnight." He's horrified by Harriet Jones' attack on the Sycorax and Doctor Two's finishing move on the Daleks -- and yet in cold utilitarian terms, the way Harriet and Captain Jack and even Rose in "The Parting of the Ways" saw it -- those were arguably the right actions. He can't handle the grim reality of war. He will put others in position to point the gun or turn the Osterhagen Key, then he will punish them for it because it violates his moral code.

He may have left the better angel of his nature back there at Bad Wolf Bay.

Then again, "exiling" his other was the only way he could bear to leave Rose.

So. He's alone again. He's separated himself from his Children of Time. He's more emo than ever.

How long can he keep running, before he finally gives out (or David Tennant does) and changes again?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 10:41 PM EDT
    So what was up with Mickey and Rose's mom? Maybe I need to watch the episode again, but those were some interesting embraces.

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 11:21 PM EDT
    Big Grin Arrow Oops! Arrow Big Grin + Smile + Eek!

As I had hoped, even though I thought I would be more excited for a regeneration, and even though I spoiled myself in anticipation while I was at work...

I loved it!

When DoctorDonna started going to town on the daleks, I probably laughed in excitement more than at any other time I have watched the show.

There has been much talk of Donna's growth throughout the season, but I think what has hit me harder is the way the Doctor has been confronted with how he affects others and the world's he encounters, the clone being about as blatant as that could be.

So, no real complaints here, or at least that matter much.

Now about that Christmas special... There is a fair part of me that wants to see Davids Morrissey & Tennant and the Cybermen break out into "Viva Las Vegas" or "Should I stay or Should I go"

Coming to theaters this fall, Frau Blücher and Harpo Marx star in 'The Shadow Proclamation'!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 11:34 PM EDT
    What can I say? It was a very interesting ride. I think I loved most of it, especially the part when DoctorDonna goes to town on the Dalkes! So much fun! The performance of Davros was awesome but I agree with the post above, destroying reality makes absolutely no sense. What the heck would the Daleks do?

The thing that really bugged me is what they did to Donna. I truly saw Donna as the New Who equivalent of Sarah Jane Smith. She was truly the best companion of the New Who, and what do they do? Wipe her mind of the Doctor and cannot ever utter even a word or she burns up? Come on! To that, in a way, this was the most depressing of finales. Even more than Parting of the Ways. But I am sure that Steven Moffat will bring us someone to care about as much as most have cared for Rose and for myself, loved Donna. There is always River Song I guess, but she is not Donna!

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 11:43 PM EDT
    I have been behind this entire 4th series relying on the Scifi channel here in the US to deliver my Who, but finally, coincidentally, on the last day I finally get the means to catch a red eye for the first time this year. Timing couldn't be more perfect.

To me RTD's entire writing style is one big cheat. It's analogous to a cheap knock off of a product, manufactured by inferior parts, that somehow, in the end, still manages to do the job it's meant to do and totally delivers for half the price.

It was RTD's 4th series finale and once again he delivers a totally contrived plot and situation, with once again the entire universe at stake, and once again, funky science and black hole size plot holes asisde, RTD still manages to get a tear out of you. At least out of me he does. For me, not necessarily because of sadness, but b/c no matter how silly the situation he places our characters in, he still manages to evoke so much raw emotion out of me.

I come from that camp who is ready to let RTD go on his merry way, thank-you very much sir, but bring on the Moffat. But I guess RTD wasn't going to leave without letting me know he WAS the man.

Seriously I could care less about Davros and the Daleks, and their hokey plans. As far as I'm concerned there is no logic behind it. The Daleks are just a mere plot device. It really is just a cheap trick, RTD stacking the deck with a sneaky ace up his sleeve for insurance. It's funny though, because this episode really didn't have anything to do with the Daleks. In a way the current "BIG" episodes of the new Who don't really have anything to do with their "stories". Genesis of the Daleks was certainly all about the Daleks, ironically considering they featured as mere pawns in that episode as well. All these 4 recent Doctor Who finales, for me, are just all about the emotion they're trying to convey and evoke in the audience. Logic and common sense be damned.

1st: The Doctor sacrificing his life for his companion.
    2nd: The Doctor losing said companion "forever".
    3rd: The Doctor losing the last remaining of his kind.
    4th: Now just apply, lather, rinse, & repeat. Mash it all together and what do you get? The Doctor losing a companion forever who sacrifices her life to save all remaining human kind.

LOL!!!!

It all makes no sense whatsoever. Yet it moves me more than any Doctor Who I've watched in the last 25 years.

I fracking love/hate RTD for it. I think he might really be pretty average when it comes to writing, but when it comes to messing with your emotions he's a damn puppet master.

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!

Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 11:46 PM EDT
    Well, that was a rollercoaster!

I'm sure on reflection or rewatching I will come up with all sorts of nit-picks but I have to say - on first watch - what a blast! There were bits I thought maybe a little corny or cheesy here and there, but I was having too much fun to care!

[SPOILERS BELOW] Hope that's OK (there is a spoiler tag on the topic I see)
    I couldn't help myself through the week and so I had gone and read all the spoilers (I really need to try NOT to do that...). The one big spoiler was going around about the resolution and unusual results of the regeneration. This one really worried me if true (which it obviously was)! However, I have to say, RTD and the team pulled it off with such style and grace, that I actually bought it. I don't know how I'll feel on reflection, but for right now, I loved it :-)

Other things I loved:

- Donna as a half Time Lord! I'd have loved to see more of that!! Wasn't Catherine Tate brilliant!!
    - The whole gang flying the TARDIS! Absolutely GREAT to see a fully-manned TARDIS, being flown as it was designed to be! I have to say, I don't think that was acting there - I think that was the actors themselves having a great time, you could see it in their eyes! They were like kids in a toy store!!
    - As the above, how fantastic to see a TARDIS operating at full potential, pulling a whole planet through space! I thought it worked very well, and was a great way to show the sheer power of the Time Lords. They were after all supposed to be one of (if not the) most powerful races in existence, and it makes full sense that they and their technology are capable of such feats.
    - German-speaking Daleks!
    - Weren't Jacqueline King and Bernard Cribbins as Sylvia and Wilf just brilliant in the end scenes. What performances from both of them, and boy I'm really going to miss Wilf.
    - Great seeing Jackie and Mickey! It would have been nice if Jackie had a bit more to do, but it was just great seeing her anyway. Loved the bit between the Doctor and her when flying the TARDIS :-)

That'll do for now. If I go on much longer I'll have to start thinking about the stuff I didn't like so much, and I don't want to end on a downer :-)

But before I go, Donna Noble, I just want to tell you - you were fantastic! Absolutely fantastic!

Craig

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed